PDA

View Full Version : More Stinging Loss - Curry losing Game 7 at home 2016 Finals or Lebron losing Game 6

JordansBulls
09-20-2016, 08:34 PM
Which was the More Stinging Loss - Curry losing Game 7 at home 2016 Finals or Lebron losing Game 6 at home 2011 Finals (when game 7 would have been at home as well)?

NOTE: In both instances both players didn't play to the level they were capable of and played wayyy worse then anyone would have imagined despite still having chance to win the series.

More-Than-Most
09-20-2016, 08:48 PM
Curry losing game 7... That warriors team was far far better... Lebron choked in 11 no doubt but there is no bigger choke job than the warriors/curry of last year.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-20-2016, 10:07 PM
Warriors given their team, their 73 wins record and that they were 3-1.

Lebron choked big time but I don't think it's as bad.

FlashBolt
09-20-2016, 11:26 PM
LeBron.

1) Curry choked but Cavs winning was always a possibility IMO. I for once never thought Dallas would have beaten Miami until the buzzer ended.
2) Curry was still playing his game. Those were make-able shots and some of the plays he made were plays he made all season. The thing with LeBron in 2011 is he didn't attempt to take a shot or make plays. It was weird. Sorta like he was just watching the game pass by him. Hell, he couldn't even score on J.J Barea. What the hell was that?
3) Warriors were injured/not 100%. Sorry to say it but Curry was clearly not 100% (still not an excuse but he was), Bogut was out of the series after game 5, Draymond was suspended in game 5, Iggy was as useful as a mannequin in games 6/7. Simply put, it was just right for the taking. Who's guarding LeBron? Not a hobbled Iggy who could barely function. Warriors best shotblocker/rim protector was MIA so we saw a stupid lineup involving Varejao/Ezeli; both who were terrible for the Warriors. Heat in 2011 were fully healthy. Dallas beat a 100% Heat team while Cavs did not beat a 100% Warriors team.
4) As much as it pains me to say this, I think LeBron should have four rings by now and he would be in everyone's top two right now (if not now, inevitably when he retires). Three rings sound great but the only NBA Finals that he should have definitively won was vs Dallas and he didn't show up.

kobe4thewinbang
09-21-2016, 02:05 AM
LeBron.

1) Curry choked but Cavs winning was always a possibility IMO. I for once never thought Dallas would have beaten Miami until the buzzer ended.
2) Curry was still playing his game. Those were make-able shots and some of the plays he made were plays he made all season. The thing with LeBron in 2011 is he didn't attempt to take a shot or make plays. It was weird. Sorta like he was just watching the game pass by him. Hell, he couldn't even score on J.J Barea. What the hell was that?
3) Warriors were injured/not 100%. Sorry to say it but Curry was clearly not 100% (still not an excuse but he was), Bogut was out of the series after game 5, Draymond was suspended in game 5, Iggy was as useful as a mannequin in games 6/7. Simply put, it was just right for the taking. Who's guarding LeBron? Not a hobbled Iggy who could barely function. Warriors best shotblocker/rim protector was MIA so we saw a stupid lineup involving Varejao/Ezeli; both who were terrible for the Warriors. Heat in 2011 were fully healthy. Dallas beat a 100% Heat team while Cavs did not beat a 100% Warriors team.
4) As much as it pains me to say this, I think LeBron should have four rings by now and he would be in everyone's top two right now (if not now, inevitably when he retires). Three rings sound great but the only NBA Finals that he should have definitively won was vs Dallas and he didn't show up.I think LeBron choked worse, but I think Curry felt worse. They had a historic season, had a 3-1 lead, and even had the final game in their house. And the Warriors were barely staying in the game at times. Steph is the leader, and when Draymond is playing that well, you gotta get him more shots. And it was surprising that the Warriors didn't blow out the Cavs. Curry took shot after shot, didn't even come close to making them. As the leader, he tried to do it all late by himself and it didn't work. The only chance they really had was that ultimately blocked layup or the open 3 by Green I think that missed. I thought that was going in at the time. Plus Curry was defending Kyrie, one of his weaknesses, and look what happened. I mean that was the dagger because it probably killed GS psychologically, and then they couldn't respond, at home, with arguably the two best shooters in the game.

FlashBolt
09-21-2016, 02:43 AM
I think LeBron choked worse, but I think Curry felt worse. They had a historic season, had a 3-1 lead, and even had the final game in their house. And the Warriors were barely staying in the game at times. Steph is the leader, and when Draymond is playing that well, you gotta get him more shots. And it was surprising that the Warriors didn't blow out the Cavs. Curry took shot after shot, didn't even come close to making them. As the leader, he tried to do it all late by himself and it didn't work. The only chance they really had was that ultimately blocked layup or the open 3 by Green I think that missed. I thought that was going in at the time. Plus Curry was defending Kyrie, one of his weaknesses, and look what happened. I mean that was the dagger because it probably killed GS psychologically, and then they couldn't respond, at home, with arguably the two best shooters in the game.

Well to be fair, Curry+Klay weren't exactly having great games the first four games. LeBron's first two games against Dallas were very good but the remaining four were just abnormal by his standards. LeBron definitely choked worse than Curry. Yes, Warriors were up 3-1 and lost three straight but so did the Heat in 2011 so does it really matter if it was a 3-1 or 2-1 lead at that point?

Hawkeye15
09-21-2016, 10:10 AM
the 73 win team favored by a mile, up 3-1

Vee-Rex
09-21-2016, 10:14 AM
There's an argument for both.

Honestly? I feel that it probably stung a tiny bit more for LeBron because he was also facing an unprecedented amount of criticism at the time for The Decision. Everyone remembers his post game comments... he was hurting really, really badly.

At the same time, I think it was the Warriors that actually choked the most. Yeah, both the 2011 Heat and 2016 Warriors lost 3-straight, but there's a reason why no team has ever come back from a 3-1 deficit in the finals. 3-1 is just so much more of a commanding lead than 2-1. Also, the Warriors just came off a 73-win season, a time where everyone (media and forums alike) gave the Cavs absolutely no chance. The Warriors were basically crowned champions mid-way through the year.

answer:

Stung most for LeBron.

Warriors choked more.

Big Zo
09-21-2016, 10:27 AM
I'd say LeBron by far. The backlash was much worse for him, and he hadn't won anything at the time. Curry can at least fall back on his 2015 ring, and the fact that they were going for back to back.

Hawkeye15
09-21-2016, 10:29 AM

Honestly? I feel that it probably stung a tiny bit more for LeBron because he was also facing an unprecedented amount of criticism at the time for The Decision. Everyone remembers his post game comments... he was hurting really, really badly.

At the same time, I think it was the Warriors that actually choked the most. Yeah, both the 2011 Heat and 2016 Warriors lost 3-straight, but there's a reason why no team has ever come back from a 3-1 deficit in the finals. 3-1 is just so much more of a commanding lead than 2-1. Also, the Warriors just came off a 73-win season, a time where everyone (media and forums alike) gave the Cavs absolutely no chance. The Warriors were basically crowned champions mid-way through the year.

answer:

Stung most for LeBron.

Warriors choked more.

pretty reasonable response. I guess when speaking of legacy, LeBron's is just as bad, because we are talking a top 5 all timer. But the Warriors choke was worse, and while Curry doesn't have top 5 all time pedigree, it may very well end up hurting his legacy, depending on future results.

Htownballa1622
09-21-2016, 10:52 AM
The Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the NBA Finals.

KnicksorBust
09-21-2016, 11:21 AM

answer:

Stung most for LeBron.

Warriors choked more.

Great post. I completely agree. That loss really stung for LeBron. He had abandoned his home town team Cleveland to play with a super team and his best friends Wade and Bosh. He was the best player in the world. He was going against a Dallas team that had been seen as chokers in the past and was given almost no chance of winning the Finals going into the playoffs. To lose that series in the way he did was devastating. You could tell in his comments.

Curry wasn't happy losing but you can tell he's a different type of person. He got spoiled winning the Finals last season. You get the impression he thinks he's going to the Finals ever year of his career now (maybe he will) and that this was just a hiccup for him. It's annoying to see someone in his position have that mentality.

KnicksorBust
09-21-2016, 11:23 AM
Sidenote: Spurs losing to the Heat was more painful than either of these.

kdspurman
09-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Sidenote: Spurs losing to the Heat was more painful than either of these.

I didn't want to say it.... But yea. End of the day, it was worth it to be able to witness what they did the next year.

kdspurman
09-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Losing a Game 7 on your home court has to sting just a little more IMO.

Chronz
09-21-2016, 12:09 PM
Well the Dubs weren't at full strength relatively speaking, but they were still far more talented and some of those losses were a result of their own mental shortcomings.

Whereas Miami was in Y1 of figuring out how to play off each other with absolutely zero help from the supporting cast. I know Bron had a bad series but I side with Cuban on this one, he didn't choke so much as get his *** locked down. Yes he did choke abit but a bad performance is a bad performance, I dont value a bad performance from a non-choker any differently than a bad performance from a choker, in the end, these are 2 of the best teams that year and they slugged it out. EVERYONE discounted Dallas, Miami actually gave them one of their better fights so yeah, lets say they choked. Bron was actually really good in the first 3 games of the series, he was abit down offensively but he was putting work on JET, got the dude to admit that he was getting locked up. Then it all unraveled.

IKnowHoops
09-21-2016, 01:09 PM
Lebron choked worse. Lebron felt worse. The Dubs loss was more improbable. The Lebron choke was so bad, I lean towards him getting paid off or forced to throw the game by the mob or something.

Dade County
09-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Le-Con giving Dallas a championship... Unforgettable/Unforgivable

The man avg under 2pts in 4 straight 4th qtrs of a Final's, and no one see's the con-job in that.

lol, please
09-22-2016, 11:46 PM
Which was the More Stinging Loss - Curry losing Game 7 at home 2016 Finals or Lebron losing Game 6 at home 2011 Finals (when game 7 would have been at home as well)?

NOTE: In both instances both players didn't play to the level they were capable of and played wayyy worse then anyone would have imagined despite still having chance to win the series.

Obviously Lebron. He made a public promise he then broke (winning last season doesn't change that) and he was healthy.

Curry was injured during the last run and while he obviously didn't play well enough when on the court anyway, it's not choking.

FlashBolt
09-23-2016, 12:22 AM
Obviously Lebron. He made a public promise he then broke (winning last season doesn't change that) and he was healthy.

Curry was injured during the last run and while he obviously didn't play well enough when on the court anyway, it's not choking.

Yes, he did choke to some degree. I'd also like to add that LeBron just intimidated Curry. You could tell there was a clear emotional factor going for Curry in seeing that LeBron was just bullying him. I swear, I didn't see Curry attack the paint whenever LeBron was around. Every time he thought LeBron wasn't around, he got blocked. Curry was the player LeBron blocked the most in that Finals. Please don't make excuses, though. Your team did CHOKE. Curry at least gets a bit of a pass IMO because he was a bit hurt but your entire team choked as well. Klay had zero excuses.. dude just disappeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbMS1rcaNR0

Case in point, he could have gotten past Love the entire time but tried to shake him off the three point line. At this point, Warriors could have gone for a two and still be in a good position to win. Yet, Curry settles for a three. Why? Look who's anchoring the paint the entire time. Curry has all the space to get there but doesn't. He knows what will happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd2GCwkTd38

Also, watch the first video I posted. Just watch LeBron the entire time. Dude has unrealistic IQ on the court. Tells Love to switch on Curry and then proceeds to confuse the hell out of their offense by covering a wide area.

Vee-Rex
09-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Yes, he did choke to some degree. I'd also like to add that LeBron just intimidated Curry. You could tell there was a clear emotional factor going for Curry in seeing that LeBron was just bullying him. I swear, I didn't see Curry attack the paint whenever LeBron was around. Every time he thought LeBron wasn't around, he got blocked. Curry was the player LeBron blocked the most in that Finals. Please don't make excuses, though. Your team did CHOKE. Curry at least gets a bit of a pass IMO because he was a bit hurt but your entire team choked as well. Klay had zero excuses.. dude just disappeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbMS1rcaNR0

Case in point, he could have gotten past Love the entire time but tried to shake him off the three point line. At this point, Warriors could have gone for a two and still be in a good position to win. Yet, Curry settles for a three. Why? Look who's anchoring the paint the entire time. Curry has all the space to get there but doesn't. He knows what will happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd2GCwkTd38

Also, watch the first video I posted. Just watch LeBron the entire time. Dude has unrealistic IQ on the court. Tells Love to switch on Curry and then proceeds to confuse the hell out of their offense by covering a wide area.

He was definitely in Curry's head. You can tell by that very last block in the 2nd video. LeBron didn't say a word, just gave him a look and Curry was upset/frustrated/rambling.

Going off memory here (didn't look up the stats) but I'm pretty sure GS shot the worst 2pt% in the 15-16 finals than they did in any playoff series they've been in the last 4 years. Credit to the strategy of the Cavs and LeBron's ability to defend all over (according to SportVU tracking he had a historic, and perhaps literally the greatest defensive performance of all time in these playoffs).