PDA

View Full Version : Which Position Do You Favor Most?

Shammyguy3
09-18-2016, 09:50 PM
Really, which position do you think holds the most value on the court? Is it a point guard, because they can best run an offense? Is it a wing player (whether SG/SF), because they typically are the best playmakers when it comes to not just setting up an offense but getting their own basket? Is it a big center that can anchor your defense?

Now, there are examples of teams with their best player being at different positions, all while being contenders

Point Guard - Magic's Lakers, Curry's Warriors
Shooting Guard - Jordan's Bulls, Wade's Heat in 2006, Late 00s Lakers with Kobe
Small Forward - Lebron's Cavs, Bird's Celtics
Power Forward - Barkley's Suns, Dirk's Mavs
Center - Hakeem's Rockets, KAJ's Lakers, Duncan's Spurs, Shaq's Lakers

So, all things being equal which position(s) do you think are most important?

FlashBolt
09-19-2016, 01:08 AM
Small forward is in the middle for a reason. Can basically do anything on the court. Especially in today's NBA, size isn't as prevalent so you can have interchangeable roles with just about most elite SF's at any position.

I've seen:

KD
LeBron
PG
Kawhi

play practically every position in the league at a high level. All are depended to and can play various positions.

So much attention is being said about PG's but SF's are the most stacked position.

Heediot
09-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Right now the nba has cheesy rules that cater to the perimeter players.

With the older rules and how the game is played in europe and fiba, and with all things being equal, I'll go with the 5 position.

Historically, from the early 2000s and before unless your Jordan you'd be hard pressed to win a title without a hall of fame center.

Guys like Jordan, Iverson, Kobe, and Vince sold more tickets and attracted more viewers so the nba made rules to help make life easier for those guys. Dominant two way bigs win games traditionally, but beating your guy off the dribble sells more tickets.

Hawkeye15
09-19-2016, 09:55 AM
totally depends on the rules. However, the importance of a 2 way big will never decrease like other positions might, so I would say a 2 way big is my preference.

09-19-2016, 10:02 AM
Dog fashion.

kdspurman
09-19-2016, 11:09 AM
10-15 years ago probably PF/C with like Duncan/Shaq

Right now? Probably the 3, for the reason Flash said

KnicksorBust
09-19-2016, 03:07 PM
Demarcus Cousins might technically be the best center in the NBA right now and the Kings are awful every year.

I'm torn between PG and SF. My brain is telling me that SF's run the league right now but the fact that Lillard had Portland as a mid-seed in the West makes this difficult.

jerellh528
09-19-2016, 06:52 PM
I like how everyone owns their team except Kobe lol. It's late 00s lakers with Kobe haha.

kingkenny01
09-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Point forward like Giannis/lebron

FlashBolt
09-19-2016, 08:08 PM
I like how everyone owns their team except Kobe lol. It's late 00s lakers with Kobe haha.

Wade is part of what you're talking about.

dhopisthename
09-19-2016, 10:06 PM
if I could ever get a shaq/kareem level center I would probably take someone like that, but I am not sure if it just a lack of players or its the rules. Next would be a small forward who can it all like lebron/durant.

mrblisterdundee
09-20-2016, 12:54 AM
The playmaking small forward who can make threes and defend three to five different positions is one of the most important players to me. Draymond Green is pretty damn good, as well as Paul George. Kawhi Leonard's there too, although he should average more assists, with Tony Parker being the main point guard for San Antonio.

Edit: Obviously LeBron James rules over everybody else, until proven otherwise.

ldawg
09-20-2016, 02:19 AM
sg/sf

Jeffy25
09-20-2016, 02:44 AM
SF all day and night, because they are the most versatile.

KnicksorBust
09-20-2016, 08:04 AM
if I could ever get a shaq/kareem level center I would probably take someone like that, but I am not sure if it just a lack of players or its the rules. Next would be a small forward who can it all like lebron/durant.

I don't know if we will ever see another Shaq/Kareem/Wilt/Hakeem level center. We especially won't see anyone play with that same dominating style. Demarcus Cousins was taking over 3 attempts from 3pt last season. That's more than Larry Bird averaged in his career. Now any center with talent is going to try and be a point guard / shooting guard / center.

Hawkeye15
09-20-2016, 11:12 AM
I don't know if we will ever see another Shaq/Kareem/Wilt/Hakeem level center. We especially won't see anyone play with that same dominating style. Demarcus Cousins was taking over 3 attempts from 3pt last season. That's more than Larry Bird averaged in his career. Now any center with talent is going to try and be a point guard / shooting guard / center.

I think Towns it the best center in the game for years, and he is going to be an inside/out guy. So the trench, back to the basket center, is gone, as long as the rules allow any form of zone.

KnicksorBust
09-20-2016, 11:21 AM
I think Towns it the best center in the game for years, and he is going to be an inside/out guy. So the trench, back to the basket center, is gone, as long as the rules allow any form of zone.

Blessing and a curse...

Hawkeye15
09-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Blessing and a curse...

absolutely. It would take a young big man who is freakish like Shaq, for a back to the basket animal to come along again. Someone that any coach would be stupid to remove from the block.

dhopisthename
09-20-2016, 12:19 PM

it wasn't as much the bask to the basket abilities as it was the ability for big guys who can influence things on the defensive end. I watch Gobert on the Jazz and he can single handily dominate games on the defensive side of the ball with both his interior defense and his ability to get rebounds. The best defensive wing cannot have the same impact that a defensive center can. The question is will we ever have a guy who can do both. Too often Goberts only ability on offense is that teams have to be weary of boxing him out. if you could get an efficient Cousins type player with with a gobert type defense I would prefer him to a wing.

Super.
09-20-2016, 10:47 PM
A point forward. I love a 6'9" guy who can handle the ball

KnicksorBust
09-21-2016, 11:44 AM
it wasn't as much the bask to the basket abilities as it was the ability for big guys who can influence things on the defensive end. I watch Gobert on the Jazz and he can single handily dominate games on the defensive side of the ball with both his interior defense and his ability to get rebounds. The best defensive wing cannot have the same impact that a defensive center can. The question is will we ever have a guy who can do both. Too often Goberts only ability on offense is that teams have to be weary of boxing him out. if you could get an efficient Cousins type player with with a gobert type defense I would prefer him to a wing.

But the interesting thing is you named 2 centers who are extremely talented and neither of their teams made the playoffs in today's NBA. Take James Harden. It's well-documented how well he plays defense and yet his teams are always in the playoffs. You can be a one-dimensional guard/wing offensive monster on the perimeter and take your team players. Damian Lillard same thing. Incredible offensive player

dhopisthename
09-22-2016, 12:24 PM
But the interesting thing is you named 2 centers who are extremely talented and neither of their teams made the playoffs in today's NBA. Take James Harden. It's well-documented how well he plays defense and yet his teams are always in the playoffs. You can be a one-dimensional guard/wing offensive monster on the perimeter and take your team players. Damian Lillard same thing. Incredible offensive player

so the rockets winning 41 games to the Jazz 40 games despite gobert missing 21 games proves your point? I think it kinda proves my point. what about Melo? he can't carry the knicks to the playoffs. what about kyrie pre lebron?