PDA

View Full Version : Starting from Scratch: Bird vs Magic vs Kobe vs Garnett vs Duncan vs Oscar vs Dr J

JordansBulls
09-15-2016, 12:24 AM
If you were starting a team from scratch, which player would you favor and why?

NOTE: Consider not only winning but how much revenue they would bring this new franchise.

NYKalltheway
09-15-2016, 03:26 AM
Bird with Magic being a close second. Oscar and Duncan follow.

hugepatsfan
09-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Not sure I feel comfortable ranking Oscar and Dr. J so I will leave them out...

Magic
Duncan
Kobe
Bird
Oscar
KG
Dr. J

kdspurman
09-15-2016, 12:04 PM
Duncan.. From a locker room fit perspective to /leadership/winning/longevity/2 way dominance etc...

FlashBolt
09-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Duncan.. From a locker room fit perspective to /leadership/winning/longevity/2 way dominance etc...

It was between Magic and Bird for me due to this:

NOTE: Consider not only winning but how much revenue they would bring this new franchise.

Or else I'd take Duncan. Better player when you consider the totality of it.

kdspurman
09-15-2016, 01:17 PM
It was between Magic and Bird for me due to this:

Or else I'd take Duncan. Better player when you consider the totality of it.

Definitely didn't consider that aspect to it. I guess though it also depends on the franchise too. If TD played in NY or LA, (though he choose not to market himself really) it could factor in. Certainly not to the Magic/Bird level though, but just cause you know they'd always be a playoff team during. Plus IMO in most cases it's easier to build around a 2 way big.

Edit.. stupid me missed the op where it said that lol

europagnpilgrim
09-15-2016, 02:01 PM
Dr. J

Big O
Magic
KG
Kobe
Duncan
Bird

KnicksorBust
09-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Magic. He fits the best in the modern game as an uptempo PG who can penetrate and hit open teammates. I almost went Duncan but I worry as time passes and the post-game becomes more obsolete how valuable players like him would be in compared to equally talented guards. Bird was a tempting choice. He would almost exclusively play PF in today's NBA inside of dancing between forward positions. Plus he has the shooting and passing chops to play with these small teams. But Magic is the 80s version of LeBron on offense. He dominates that level of the court and raises his teammates level of play. You just surround him with shooters and/or athletic wings who can finish on the break and off to the races. Plus when you add in the marketing aspect that gives him a clear edge on Bird/Duncan.