PDA

View Full Version : As of Right Now:M. Conley/K. Leonard/KAT or S. Curry/C. Anthony/A. Davis

Redrum187
09-13-2016, 04:24 PM
As of RIGHT NOW, which team would you:

A.) rather build around (3-5 years)?

and

B.) think wins in a 3-on-3 best of 7 series?

FlashBolt
09-13-2016, 04:28 PM
A) Second team. Curry is leaps better than Conley and his game will age well. Leonard is better but Carmelo has an old man type game so it's not like he's going to be terrible by any means as he ages. Davis over KAT is tricky but I think Curry is just so much better than Conley that it doesn't even matter.

B) Team 2 probably in 5-6 games.

IDK if you were going for the defense vs offense matchups but great offense beats great defense every time.

Redrum187
09-13-2016, 04:35 PM
A) Second team. Curry is leaps better than Conley and his game will age well. Leonard is better but Carmelo has an old man type game so it's not like he's going to be terrible by any means as he ages. Davis over KAT is tricky but I think Curry is just so much better than Conley that it doesn't even matter.

B) Team 2 probably in 5-6 games.

IDK if you were going for the defense vs offense matchups but great offense beats great defense every time.

Fair points, however, while there is a gap from Conley to Curry, there is just as big of a gap from Kawhi to Melo (as of right now). Plus, I don't think Melo and Curry fit as well as Conley and Kawhi.

I was sort of going for borderline 1st options with good/great defense to mediocre defense but good/great offensive.

FlashBolt
09-13-2016, 04:39 PM
Fair points, however, while there is a gap from Conley to Curry, there is just as big of a gap from Kawhi to Melo (as of right now). Plus, I don't think Melo and Curry fit as well as Conley and Kawhi.

I was sort of going for borderline 1st options with good/great defense to mediocre defense but good/great offensive.

The gap from Kawhi to Melo isn't as huge as Curry against Conley, though. If you go by Conley vs Melo and Curry vs Kawhi, it's pretty obvious who comes out the victor (Melo/Curry). I just think Curry is way too good that it's rather irrelevant how much better Kawhi is than Melo. Aside from injuries, Davis vs Towns might be the only one I can't ignore. It's actually pretty crazy how far back Davis fell from the season before.

Redrum187
09-13-2016, 04:43 PM
The gap from Kawhi to Melo isn't as huge as Curry against Conley, though. If you go by Conley vs Melo and Curry vs Kawhi, it's pretty obvious who comes out the victor (Melo/Curry). I just think Curry is way too good that it's rather irrelevant how much better Kawhi is than Melo. Aside from injuries, Davis vs Towns might be the only one I can't ignore. It's actually pretty crazy how far back Davis fell from the season before.

The "<,>" is good when determining value, but not which player (duo or Trio) would be superior. Melo and Curry need the ball in order to receive the value they get when they are dominating the ball. Obviously, both of them can't dominate it, so Conley/Kawhi would fit significantly better. That isn't to say Melo CAN'T play off of Curry, I just think the gap gets wide when Melo has to do that.

FlashBolt
09-13-2016, 04:48 PM
The "<,>" is good when determining value, but not which player (duo or Trio) would be superior. Melo and Curry need the ball in order to receive the value they get when they are dominating the ball. Obviously, both of them can't dominate it, so Conley/Kawhi would fit significantly better. That isn't to say Melo CAN'T play off of Curry, I just think the gap gets wide when Melo has to do that.

You might be right if this was a few years ago but any Knicks fan will attest that Melo has made a significant improvement defensively and in regards to sharing the ball to create plays for others the past year or two. Believe me, Kawhi is much better than Melo all-around but let's not forget that Melo is such a talented scorer that it's unlikely Kawhi will be able to stop him. I would have much preferred if you replaced Conley with Kyrie and replace Carmelo with Paul George. I think that is a much better discussion to be had.

Redrum187
09-13-2016, 04:53 PM
You might be right if this was a few years ago but any Knicks fan will attest that Melo has made a significant improvement defensively and in regards to sharing the ball to create plays for others the past year or two. Believe me, Kawhi is much better than Melo all-around but let's not forget that Melo is such a talented scorer that it's unlikely Kawhi will be able to stop him. I would have much preferred if you replaced Conley with Kyrie and replace Carmelo with Paul George. I think that is a much better discussion to be had.

I'm not sure if I buy Melo is an improved defensive player in all honesty. I'm not saying he isn't, but it's hard to really measure when his team has done absolutely nothing the past few years. On the fence about that argument.

As for changing the players, yeah, I agree, it would have been a bit more interesting to use younger players/flashier players, but I have a man crush on Conley/Kawhi/Kat, I wanted them. :P

IndyRealist
09-13-2016, 05:30 PM
Curry needs someone to cover him defensively. That is neither Melo nor Davis.

Edit: I changed my mind after writing this. Curious I looked up both on BBR, and Davis compares pretty favorably defensively to KAT.

Shammyguy3
09-13-2016, 06:25 PM
Davis should be better than KAT defensively, a 4 year vet vs a rookie?

mrblisterdundee
09-14-2016, 01:10 PM
Curry and Anthony would kill offensively. Davis is probably the second-best defender overall after Leonard.

P.S.: What is it with all these comparison threads getting into the regular forums? Can't the moderators start moving them to the proper forum?

FlashBolt
09-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Curry and Anthony would kill offensively. Davis is probably the second-best defender overall after Leonard.

P.S.: What is it with all these comparison threads getting into the regular forums? Can't the moderators start moving them to the proper forum?

Lack of NBA discussions so I don't think it hurts to have them here. Not many check the other subthreads. Should clear out once NBA season begins.

Shammyguy3
09-14-2016, 02:56 PM
^precisely

mrblisterdundee
09-14-2016, 07:32 PM
Lack of NBA discussions so I don't think it hurts to have them here. Not many check the other subthreads. Should clear out once NBA season begins.

I'll have to drum up some more sensationalization around the Derrick Rose case.:horse:

mngopher35
09-14-2016, 08:49 PM
I definitely like the comparisons threads recently, I don't get why there needs to be a separate forum for it (at least right now).

I feel like that second team is just better here. If you go individual by individual they seem more talented, the team fits together (just needs defense in other two spots), and Kat is a bit young to match ad (think he can in future)

IKnowHoops
09-15-2016, 12:20 AM
I definitely like the comparisons threads recently, I don't get why there needs to be a separate forum for it (at least right now).

I feel like that second team is just better here. If you go individual by individual they seem more talented, the team fits together (just needs defense in other two spots), and Kat is a bit young to match ad (think he can in future)

100% agree with this. The forum would be dead without them. Should be more open and lenient for threads right now during the offseason. Plus this is a really good question. I'd say the Curry team wins right now, but I'd rather have the Leonard team for the next few years.