PDA

View Full Version : 30th Best Player in the NBA (FINAL THREAD!)

Shammyguy3
09-13-2016, 01:23 PM
Remember, this is based on RIGHT NOW, not necessarily who was the best this past season, or who will be the best. It's a tricky debate, how much do you factor in the playoffs? Injuries? Team-fit? Etc. Here's what we have so far:

1. Lebron James
2. Stephen Curry
3. Kevin Durant
4. Russell Westbrook
5. Kawhi Leonard
6. Chris Paul
7. Anthony Davis
8. Paul George
9. James Harden
10. Draymond Green
11. DeMarcus Cousins
12. Blake Griffin
13. Jimmy Butler
14. Klay Thompson
15. Damian Lillard
16. LaMarcus Aldridge
17. Kyrie Irving
18. Carmelo Anthony
19. Kyle Lowry
20. John Wall
21. Karl-Anthony Towns
22. Paul Millsap
23. Marc Gasol
24. Al Horford
25. Dwyane Wade
26. Kevin Love
27. Giannis Antetokounmpo
28. DeAndre Jordan
29. Gordon Hayward
30. ??

this is for all the marbles, everybody vote!

Ebbs
09-13-2016, 02:08 PM
Dirk.

archdevil84
09-13-2016, 02:19 PM
tough choice between isaiah and drummond imo but im going with isaiah because he can make free throws

nycericanguy
09-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Dirk or DD for me, but i'm gonna give DD some respect, he carried a big load for a top team.

JAZZNC
09-13-2016, 03:07 PM
I feel like Derozan kinda has to go in the top 30. He has the stats plus team success even though their post season success was kinda in spite of his play. I'm gonna go Derozan with Thomas as a honorable mention.

Redrum187
09-13-2016, 04:54 PM
Maybe I'm letting my memories get the best of me, but how is it not Dirk? :(

I get he isn't the guy for the regular season, but he is absolutely the guy I would take in the postseason.

FlashBolt
09-13-2016, 04:59 PM
At this point, any of the players above could be top 30 and it wouldn't matter. Tiers are much better for this, tbh.

Ex: Tier 1

LeBron
Curry
KD
Kawhi
Westbrook

Tier 2

Butler
Klay

Tier 3

Wade
Hayward

5ass
09-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Why is no one voting for Mike Conley?

FlashBolt
09-13-2016, 05:17 PM

Because no one watches Memphis games.. sad but true.

Chronz
09-13-2016, 06:13 PM

Injury is my reason. If hes back to form fully then yeah, he should have gone ahead of alot of guys.

5ass
09-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Injury is my reason. If hes back to form fully then yeah, he should have gone ahead of alot of guys.

Makes sense. I just remembered he suffered an Achilles injury. I doubt he'll come back in full form. Wesley Matthews and Brandon Jennings are still trying to recover.

Chronz
09-13-2016, 08:03 PM
SI is releasing their top-30 soon, of the players they ranked outside the top30 that we already voted for were Wade and Giannis and they are actually asked to project.

Shammyguy3
09-13-2016, 10:02 PM
SI is releasing their top-30 soon, of the players they ranked outside the top30 that we already voted for were Wade and Giannis and they are actually asked to project.

it'll be cool comparing and contrasting the full lists

Dade County
09-13-2016, 11:16 PM
I think most GM's on the open market would go after either Whiteside, Wiggins or Drummond.

ManningToTyree
09-13-2016, 11:37 PM
I think most GM's on the open market would go after either Whiteside, Wiggins or Drummond. sure but that's a different question entirely.

Shammyguy3
09-13-2016, 11:39 PM
I think most GM's on the open market would go after either Whiteside, Wiggins or Drummond.

it's not that simple, because in a situation like that we are looking at their future more than right now, as well as higher ceiling. Yeah i'd definitley take Drummond over someone like Marc Gasol going forward, but Gasol is still better.

Dade County
09-13-2016, 11:43 PM
sure but that's a different question entirely.

it's not that simple, because in a situation like that we are looking at their future more than right now, as well as higher ceiling. Yeah i'd definitley take Drummond over someone like Marc Gasol going forward, but Gasol is still better.

True... But I can't believe that most of you posters don't see the upside that Whiteside & Wiggins will have this upcoming season.

Shammyguy3
09-13-2016, 11:48 PM
True... But I can't believe that most of you posters don't see the upside that Whiteside & Wiggins will have this upcoming season.

i do see the upside, i think Wiggins will reach beta status this season putting up a nice 20/5/3 stat line and becoming a hound defensively under Thibs. Whiteside i'm not as hopeful for only because he needs to improve more defensively for me to put him up there

Chronz
09-14-2016, 12:48 AM
i do see the upside, i think Wiggins will reach beta status this season putting up a nice 20/5/3 stat line and becoming a hound defensively under Thibs. Whiteside i'm not as hopeful for only because he needs to improve more defensively for me to put him up there

His lack of rebounding is ****ing depressing, you really think he changes that.

Shammyguy3
09-14-2016, 01:24 AM
His lack of rebounding is ****ing depressing, you really think he changes that.

Wiggins is fine as a rebounder. In Thibs system I suspect he learns how to box out better

nycericanguy
09-14-2016, 09:25 AM

whiteside is a very flawed player, gonna be interesting to see how he handles more attention from defenses. he's going to have to learn to pass better.

Wiggins, way too soon, I could see him having a breakout year under Thibs, but this list is RIGHT NOW, not potential.

ewing
09-14-2016, 10:00 AM
Maybe I'm letting my memories get the best of me, but how is it not Dirk? :(

I get he isn't the guy for the regular season, but he is absolutely the guy I would take in the postseason.

B/c he is old.

Chronz
09-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Wiggins is fine as a rebounder. In Thibs system I suspect he learns how to box out better
If Thibs cant unluck his defensive upside, nobody will thats for sure.
Fine = below average in your book? I feel like most PG's do better than him

Shammyguy3
09-14-2016, 11:46 AM
If Thibs cant unluck his defensive upside, nobody will thats for sure.
Fine = below average in your book? I feel like most PG's do better than him

his rebound rate is mediocre, about 7%. If he can get that up 1%, which is really like 40 more rebounds in a season, he'll be slightly above average.

FlashBolt
09-14-2016, 12:52 PM
Wiggins reminds me a lot of Paul George. I'm loving these SF's coming into the league. That position is incredibly stacked. He needs to learn to box out for rebounds. Didn't get to see him make plays for his teammates but that's because of Lavine/Rubio. With Dunn in the lineups, Thibs will be able to get some scoring and he also has quality level defenders on his team. I have a feeling they will need to do something about their guards, though. Wiggins+Towns are absolute keepers. The rest need to be moved in the future.

Dade County
09-14-2016, 10:10 PM

whiteside is a very flawed player, gonna be interesting to see how he handles more attention from defenses. he's going to have to learn to pass better.

Wiggins, way too soon, I could see him having a breakout year under Thibs, but this list is RIGHT NOW, not potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EHgJzCowUI

You guys see a flawed player thats fine, i see a player that will be entering his 3rd season with the HEAT and has proven to have a strong work ethic. I can't wait to see his growth at the beginning of the season and I really look forward to seeing his game grow as the season goes along.

He has a mid range jumper, can hit free throws when he gets going and finishes well around the basket.

He really needs to work on passing the ball, and keeping the ball high so the help defense can't strip him low. Also he has problems when he goes against other big men that have weight on them, with a back to the basket game; these are all things that Whiteside can fix this upcoming season.

Spo offense is going to be more suited for Dragic, so he has Whiteside working on getting the ball out of his hands quickly and up court so Dragic & others can run with it, after Whiteside gets a block or reb.

It's like some of you posters can't tell a players game is growing or going to grow, unless it overwhelming happens in front of your face.

But it's fine if some of you, really don't like his game and don't really see Whiteside growing as a player, theres nothing wrong with that.

tredigs
09-14-2016, 11:27 PM

Wiggins is 21, Whiteside is 27. That is a world of difference. Rather have Favors or Conley over both. Hell I'd rather have an unlisted player in Rudy Gobert over Whiteside. Younger/bigger/stronger, a better defender and a much better head on his shoulders. I'll take that player all day.

Dade County
09-15-2016, 01:05 AM
Wiggins is 21, Whiteside is 27. That is a world of difference. Rather have Favors or Conley over both.

Ok

I think most GM's would go the other direction (but Conley is good).

Hell I'd rather have an unlisted player in Rudy Gobert over Whiteside. Younger/bigger/stronger, a better defender and a much better head on his shoulders. I'll take that player all day.

I love Whiteside defense so to each their own (he only has to work on his man to man defense against the centers that have a good back to the baskets game and size on them). Gobert is younger, but I can tell he'll never have a reliable jump shot, and I don't really no about his low post scoring to comment on it.

But once again, to each their own.

Bless

tredigs
09-15-2016, 01:09 AM
Ok

I think most GM's would go the other direction (but Conley is good).

I love Whiteside defense so to each their own (he only has to work on his man to man defense against the centers that have a good back to the baskets game and size on them). Gobert is younger, but I can tell he'll never have a reliable jump shot, and I don't really no about his low post scoring to comment on it.

But once again, to each their own.

Bless

As you say though, all NBA is "rigged", so what are we even commenting on my friend? Who's the next WWE superstar?

Heediot
09-15-2016, 10:31 AM
Take Drummond away from the pistons and they challenge for the top pick in the draft.

Heediot
09-15-2016, 10:36 AM
If you take away Drummond and place him on the Raps instead of Derozan, I still think the Raptors do just as well. If you put Derozan on the Pistons, I don't think they'll make the playoffs, they'll be a 30-35 win team.

Switch Thomas and Drummond and ask yourself which team gets better and which team declines?

Shammyguy3
09-15-2016, 11:53 AM
If you take away Drummond and place him on the Raps instead of Derozan, I still think the Raptors do just as well. If you put Derozan on the Pistons, I don't think they'll make the playoffs, they'll be a 30-35 win team.

Switch Thomas and Drummond and ask yourself which team gets better and which team declines?
A lot of that has to do with the Raptors already having a decent center in Val as well as a superior player in Lowry to lead the way

Dade County
09-15-2016, 02:27 PM
As you say though, all NBA is "rigged", so what are we even commenting on my friend? Who's the next WWE superstar?

Whiteside skill set has nothing to do with the league extending playoff series, gifting organizations titles and so on. Stay focus lol

Chronz
09-15-2016, 04:40 PM
Whiteside skill set has nothing to do with the league extending playoff series, gifting organizations titles and so on. Stay focus lol

Sure it does, because the players are in on it remember. Its not that DJ cant make it rain from outside, or hit his FT's, its that hes purposely missing to keep things interesting.

Bruno
09-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Pretty big drop off once you get to the end of the 20's.

There's a dozen players who can we all start arguing for in this range now. The gap between #30 and #55 is a lot less drastic than the gap between the top 5 and #30.

This is a quality list guys, we did a good job.

Thanks to Shammy for taking the time.

Chronz
09-15-2016, 05:33 PM
Agreed, no list will ever be perfect but this is a good mix imo

Dade County
09-15-2016, 09:24 PM
Sure it does, because the players are in on it remember. Its not that DJ cant make it rain from outside, or hit his FT's, its that hes purposely missing to keep things interesting.

Lmao about the Dj part....

But not all the players are in on it; but for the most part they treat it like a brother hood. Everyone keeps on making money as long as the leauge makes money.