PDA

View Full Version : Three Superstars or Two Superstars in these cases or Who do you want to build around?

JordansBulls
09-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Three Superstars or Two Superstars in these cases or Who do you want to build around?

Knowing what you know about the player's history including injuries, etc

Chris Paul/Tracy Mcgrady/Dirk Nowitzki or Lebron James/Karl Malone

Penny Hardaway/Julius Erving/Bill Walton or Magic Johnson/Larry Bird

John Havlicek/Isiah Thomas/Kevin Garnett or Hakeem Olajuwon/Dwyane Wade

Jason Kidd/James Harden/Moses Malone or Wilt Chamberlain/Oscar Robertson

Gary Payton/Reggie Miller/Patrick Ewing or David Robinson/Dominique Wilkins

Dave Cowens/Walt Frazier/Rick Barry or Kareem/Clyde Drexler

Steve Nash/Dwight Howard/Scottie Pippen or Shaquille O'neal/Kobe Bryant

Charles Barkley/Kevin Johnson/Alonzo Mourning or Tim Duncan/Kevin Durant

Derrick Rose/Grant Hill/Dikembe Mutombo or Karl Malone/John Stockton

Yao Ming/Stephen Curry/Bob Pettit or Bill Russell/Allen Iverson

Shammyguy3
09-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Three Superstars or Two Superstars in these cases or Who do you want to build around?

these are interesting threads JB, give me the bolded

Raps18-19 Champ
09-09-2016, 10:26 PM

You didn't exactly make this very hard.

PowerHouse
09-09-2016, 10:31 PM
I wonder why OP doesnt include his namesake in any of these threads.

FlashBolt
09-09-2016, 10:48 PM
Surprised so many of you are choosing CP3/Tmac/Dirk over James/Mailman. James/Mailman are always healthy. Plus, Tracy ran point for stretches of the game as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrblisterdundee
09-10-2016, 01:24 AM
Steve Nash/Dwight Howard/Scottie Pippen or Shaquille O'Neal/Kobe Bryant

NYKnickFanatic
09-10-2016, 02:19 AM
Surprised so many of you are choosing CP3/Tmac/Dirk over James/Mailman. James/Mailman are always healthy. Plus, Tracy ran point for stretches of the game as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I think LBJ and Malone would have been nasty together.

Clint Olbrock
09-10-2016, 10:07 AM
these are interesting threads JB, give me the bolded

Shaq & Kobe ALL day. 3 titles and went to a 4th finals, the history speaks for itself.

Shammyguy3
09-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Shaq & Kobe ALL day. 3 titles and went to a 4th finals, the history speaks for itself.

they've never had to play against a team of Nash - Pippen - Howard

Raidaz4Life
09-10-2016, 10:19 PM

I actually think that Lebron/Malone combo would be sick could you imagine that pick and roll?

Raps18-19 Champ
09-10-2016, 11:36 PM
Lebron and Karl would be nice but prime TMac could keep up with Lebron and Dirk dumps on Malone. Add in CP3 and it's a wrap.

europagnpilgrim
09-10-2016, 11:41 PM

LBJ/Malone
Penny/Erving/Walton
Dream/Wade
Dipper/Big O
GP/Miller/Ewing
Kareem/Drexler
Shaq/KB8-24
Chuckwagon/KJ/Zo
Rose/Hill/Mutombo
Russell/The Answer

the cream of the crop most lethal would be:
1.Dipper/Big O

the rest of the best in no particular order
Russell/The Answer
Shaq/Kobe
LBJ/Mailman

europagnpilgrim
09-11-2016, 12:03 AM
Lebron and Karl would be nice but prime TMac could keep up with Lebron and Dirk dumps on Malone. Add in CP3 and it's a wrap.

Dirk is a better range shooter than Malone, if that dumps on a player than Sabonis and Cousins dumps on Shaq since they have more range/perimeter game also

nice try though but Malone would have his way with Dirk on the block and running the floor and he would definitely get hit with a Zeke type elbow that may require 30 stitches

Lebron is basically CP3/Tmac wrapped in one player since he can score like Tmac and dish and play defense like CP3, he doesn't have the precise long range of either but his total impact is pretty Dipper-ish

Shammyguy3
09-11-2016, 12:33 AM
Dirk is a better range shooter than Malone, if that dumps on a player than Sabonis and Cousins dumps on Shaq since they have more range/perimeter game also

nice try though but Malone would have his way with Dirk on the block and running the floor and he would definitely get hit with a Zeke type elbow that may require 30 stitches

Lebron is basically CP3/Tmac wrapped in one player since he can score like Tmac and dish and play defense like CP3, he doesn't have the precise long range of either but his total impact is pretty Dipper-ish

it's not just the shooting that Dirk provides, it's the style of play. Yes, Malone was a monster but a CP3/Dirk pick and roll would be better than a Lebron/Malone pick and roll. And while Malone's defense is better than Dirk's, i take CP3's and McGrady's combined defense over Lebron's. Ultimately, you have 3 elite players versus 2, and those 3 elite players are dynamic enough that it beats out the 2.

europagnpilgrim
09-11-2016, 02:10 AM
it's not just the shooting that Dirk provides, it's the style of play. Yes, Malone was a monster but a CP3/Dirk pick and roll would be better than a Lebron/Malone pick and roll. And while Malone's defense is better than Dirk's, i take CP3's and McGrady's combined defense over Lebron's. Ultimately, you have 3 elite players versus 2, and those 3 elite players are dynamic enough that it beats out the 2.

its the only thing Dirk has over Malone as I stated and Malone was a monster as you stated so Malone was capable of getting 30ppg without a long range stretch shot while doing all the other stuff that a true PF is supposed to do and ran the floor like a gazelle plus better defense

Its on coin toss on the CP3/Tmac vs Lebron and I wouldn't be mad with either I just went with the more day 1 proven player who did it elite style rookie year and beyond, Lebron was in his prime off top, it didn't take him years to figure out to showcase his game at max level on a solo display

Lebron is basically 2 elite players in one based on a 60 win team with him and he leaves and they win 20ish games and then he goes to another team and they flirt with 60 each year then he goes back to the Cavs and they are instantly contenders capable of winning 60 and instantly reach the Finals after being a lottery team, that is supreme impact from a once in a generation impact player

Lebron is basically K Malone size wise with The Answer speed and could play and guard 1-4's

scary sight with those two coming on a fast break or in half court, 2 runaway locomotives

Raidaz4Life
09-11-2016, 06:17 AM

I completely disagree here. Lebron and Malone could guard a cp3/dirk PnR but the same could not be said for Tmac and Dirk.

People keep saying they love that Dirk Matchup against Malone but I think Malone is probably the one player all time that Dirk doesn't want to match up against because of how strong and mobile he is.

Clint Olbrock
09-11-2016, 08:07 AM
they've never had to play against a team of Nash - Pippen - Howard

It's not play, it's build around. How anyone can pick 3 randoms over a proven dynasty is beyond me.

Even if it were play Shaq would dump all over D12(especially with his bad back), Pippen may be a good defender but Kobe is a great scorer.

Build a team around or play a game, Shaq/Kobe is the no brainer choice.

KnicksorBust
09-11-2016, 10:01 AM

It's 15 years of title runs with two of the 15 best players ever vs. sporadic injury plagued title runs over a smaller period of time. Give me the more dominant duo here.

Knowing injury history again this is a no brainer. Magic/Bird is guaranteed rings I can't say the same about the trio.

Defensively that first trio would be filthy and they all know how to win.

Love the blend of talent on the first trio.

Ironic that Reggie Miller and Patrick Ewing probably would have a fantastic duo considering their teams were bitter rivals in their primes. Then the Glove just puts it over the top.

I fear how the stars of the 70s would play in today's game.

'We've seen how well it works. No reason to overthink this one.

To me it's all about looking at which option is a guaranteed title and Duncan with a player like Durant would definitely win rings. The other trio is talented and Barkley would cry tears of joy to get to play with Zo but not sure they would get it done.

This one annoys me because I wanted to go with the trio but Rose/Hill both have injury concerns. How many seasons would I even get to enjoy having that trio healthy? ... vs 15 seasons of elite PG/PF

This just reminded me I have to watch the HoF speeches.

Great options. Some were pretty tough decisions. Great threads lately on this forum. Might need to start posting consistently again.

Federal Reserve
09-11-2016, 05:01 PM

They won 2 titles and Kobe was a role player in the first title run. There is no way Kobe & Shaq is the better selection.

Clint Olbrock
09-11-2016, 05:13 PM
They won 2 titles and Kobe was a role player in the first title run. There is no way Kobe & Shaq is the better selection.

They 3 peated bud, I watched all 3 finals they won. Might wanna check your history.

Ish, I'll take any role player who can put up 21 PPG and play 39 MPG. Sign me up!

I'm going with the proven dynasty 10 out of 10 times.

Federal Reserve
09-11-2016, 05:18 PM
They 3 peated bud, I watched all 3 finals they won. Might wanna check your history.

Ish, I'll take any role player who can put up 21 PPG and play 39 MPG. Sign me up!

I'm going with the proven dynasty 10 out of 10 times.

You must have missed the 2002 Western Conference Finals. Therefore, it's not a proven dynasty and you should adjust your pick.

Raidaz4Life
09-11-2016, 06:02 PM
You must have missed the 2002 Western Conference Finals. Therefore, it's not a proven dynasty and you should adjust your pick.

lol

Clint Olbrock
09-11-2016, 06:13 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NBA_FinalsLakers won in 2000 4-2 over the Pacers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_NBA_FinalsLakers won in 2001 4-1 over the 76ers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_NBA_FinalsLakers won in 2002 4-0 over the Nets, clean sweep.

You either need to get your eyes checked, learn to read, learn to count or get older than age 14.

Like I say I'll take the proven stats and facts of a proven dynasty in the 3 peat Lakers.

:win:

SportsFanatic10
09-11-2016, 06:50 PM
It's 15 years of title runs with two of the 15 best players ever vs. sporadic injury plagued title runs over a smaller period of time. Give me the more dominant duo here.

Knowing injury history again this is a no brainer. Magic/Bird is guaranteed rings I can't say the same about the trio.

Defensively that first trio would be filthy and they all know how to win.

Love the blend of talent on the first trio.

Ironic that Reggie Miller and Patrick Ewing probably would have a fantastic duo considering their teams were bitter rivals in their primes. Then the Glove just puts it over the top.

I fear how the stars of the 70s would play in today's game.

'We've seen how well it works. No reason to overthink this one.

To me it's all about looking at which option is a guaranteed title and Duncan with a player like Durant would definitely win rings. The other trio is talented and Barkley would cry tears of joy to get to play with Zo but not sure they would get it done.

This one annoys me because I wanted to go with the trio but Rose/Hill both have injury concerns. How many seasons would I even get to enjoy having that trio healthy? ... vs 15 seasons of elite PG/PF

This just reminded me I have to watch the HoF speeches.

Great options. Some were pretty tough decisions. Great threads lately on this forum. Might need to start posting consistently again.

Yes, Iverson's was very good. I love the way he always wears his heart on his sleeve.

SportsFanatic10
09-11-2016, 06:56 PM
I find the choices much harder in this thread then the other one, for the simple fact that 3 superstars pretty much take all the cap space and would be harder to field a solid cast around. Although there are always ring chasing vets who'd join up for cheap. I think I'd take 2 over 3 here for the most part if the fit is good, where as the other thread almost every instance I'd prefer 2 to 1. It's the scenarios in both threads that have McGrady, Hill, or Rose involved or players like that who had short peaks due to injury that are the main exceptions where their long term worth takes a big hit. I'd stay away from them in these choices.

FlashBolt
09-11-2016, 11:11 PM
T-Mac at his prime barely outplayed LeBron in his rookie season.. Let's be honest here, LeBron is much better than T-Mac. Plus, I don't trust T-Mac to give me more than three seasons of elite capacity. Dirk is the best player on team 1 but Karl Malone is no slob. Dirk would have trouble guarding Malone's power. In reality, though, this is tough to answer if you're not including the cap space or options for point guards. I just really like LeBron/Malone's superhuman health in this. We're talking about two of the top 20 players who can play 15+ years at a high level. Think about that.

JasonJohnHorn
09-12-2016, 10:28 PM

I'm high on CP3, but I feel like James and Malone give you about 2 decades of contention. Tough call though, because CP3 will give you over 10 years, and Dirk will give you close to 20. Plus you get peak T-Mac for a few seasons. I think T-Mac is a chemistry issue because both CP3 and Dirk need the ball.

Going with CP3 and Dirk. Even if you didn't include T-Mac... I think Malone would interfere with Jame's post game, and needed to many shots to make LBJ effective, where as Dirk being a great shooter and post player would really help improve CP3's game. Interesting match-up though.

Two top-ten players for over a decade, or three or four seasons of injury prone guys to pair with Dr. J who only won one title in an era where Bird and Magic won 8. Seems easy enough.

Hondo was a horrid shooter and Thomas had a short ten season and fell of the map fast. I think giving Hakeem a guy like Wade for a decade would see him win a lot. We saw what he did in one year with Drexler. I love Garnett, and think he could make it work with Zeke, but Hondo weighs them down. His game wouldn't translate to today's game.

Wilt and The Big O. Just because I'd want to see those two together. But also because Harden and Kidd would have next to no chemistry. Both need the ball in their hands to be effective. Though I think Kidd could really push Harden to reach his potential defensively.

Sure, D-Rob is better than Ewing, but Nique? He was a ball hog. Great scorer, yes, but he would not compliment D-Rob. This is too easy. A defensive PG who will pass with a post-up player who draws a double team, and one of the all-time great shooters? That is a killer combo to hard to pass up.

Perhaps if I had seen Cowens and Barry play... but Cowens had a short career... no? And Frazier wasn't around long. I feel like Clyde and Kareem give you a 15-year window. I'll take that. But this may be because I never got a chance to see that first group play, but did watch Kareem and Clyde.

Well... we know Bryant will run Shaq out of town. Will Dwight cause issues with Pippen and Nash? I dunno... but prime Nash running the high PNR with Dwight, and having Dwight and Pippen compensate for Nash on D..... I'd like to see that. I'm going for the threesome here.

We already know Barkley couldn't win with KJ... Mourning would be a big help, but he and Barkley would clog the lane. Duncan and KD. I got a boner thinking about that. Easy pick here. I would have loved to see Duncan play with a player as good as Durant.

I'll take two decades of excellence over less than five seasons, though I would have loved to see Hill and Mutumbo with each other. Hill never had a defensive enforcer. Rose would throw a wrench in the chemistry though.

Iverson would jack up 30 shots to score 30 points and Russell can't shoot. Is this the 76ers team with Mutumbo all over? Meh... they had one decent run in a really weak east. They couldn't cut it in either conference now. I would take Curry alone over Russell/Iverson. Throw Yao Ming in there.... for sure. Not sure what Pettit could do in the league today, but like I said, I'd take Curry alone over Russell and Iverson.

LA_Raiders
09-13-2016, 01:52 AM
Kobe & Shaq best duo ever...

Sanjay
01-20-2017, 01:13 AM

1. Paul/McGrady/Nowitzki
2. Magic/Bird
3. Olajuwon/Wade
4. Chamberlain/Robertson
5. Payton/Miller/Ewing
6. Abdul-Jabbar/Drexler
7. O'Neal/Bryant
8. Duncan/Durant
9. Malone/Stockton
10. Ming/Curry/Pettit

Quinnsanity
01-20-2017, 01:19 AM

Interesting questions. I'm assuming players have to be considered for their effectiveness in the modern game since eras are being crossed so much here, but my picks are bolded above.

europagnpilgrim
01-20-2017, 02:33 AM
I'm high on CP3, but I feel like James and Malone give you about 2 decades of contention. Tough call though, because CP3 will give you over 10 years, and Dirk will give you close to 20. Plus you get peak T-Mac for a few seasons. I think T-Mac is a chemistry issue because both CP3 and Dirk need the ball.

Going with CP3 and Dirk. Even if you didn't include T-Mac... I think Malone would interfere with Jame's post game, and needed to many shots to make LBJ effective, where as Dirk being a great shooter and post player would really help improve CP3's game. Interesting match-up though.

Two top-ten players for over a decade, or three or four seasons of injury prone guys to pair with Dr. J who only won one title in an era where Bird and Magic won 8. Seems easy enough.

Hondo was a horrid shooter and Thomas had a short ten season and fell of the map fast. I think giving Hakeem a guy like Wade for a decade would see him win a lot. We saw what he did in one year with Drexler. I love Garnett, and think he could make it work with Zeke, but Hondo weighs them down. His game wouldn't translate to today's game.

Wilt and The Big O. Just because I'd want to see those two together. But also because Harden and Kidd would have next to no chemistry. Both need the ball in their hands to be effective. Though I think Kidd could really push Harden to reach his potential defensively.

Sure, D-Rob is better than Ewing, but Nique? He was a ball hog. Great scorer, yes, but he would not compliment D-Rob. This is too easy. A defensive PG who will pass with a post-up player who draws a double team, and one of the all-time great shooters? That is a killer combo to hard to pass up.

Perhaps if I had seen Cowens and Barry play... but Cowens had a short career... no? And Frazier wasn't around long. I feel like Clyde and Kareem give you a 15-year window. I'll take that. But this may be because I never got a chance to see that first group play, but did watch Kareem and Clyde.

Well... we know Bryant will run Shaq out of town. Will Dwight cause issues with Pippen and Nash? I dunno... but prime Nash running the high PNR with Dwight, and having Dwight and Pippen compensate for Nash on D..... I'd like to see that. I'm going for the threesome here.

We already know Barkley couldn't win with KJ... Mourning would be a big help, but he and Barkley would clog the lane. Duncan and KD. I got a boner thinking about that. Easy pick here. I would have loved to see Duncan play with a player as good as Durant.

I'll take two decades of excellence over less than five seasons, though I would have loved to see Hill and Mutumbo with each other. Hill never had a defensive enforcer. Rose would throw a wrench in the chemistry though.

Iverson would jack up 30 shots to score 30 points and Russell can't shoot. Is this the 76ers team with Mutumbo all over? Meh... they had one decent run in a really weak east. They couldn't cut it in either conference now. I would take Curry alone over Russell/Iverson. Throw Yao Ming in there.... for sure. Not sure what Pettit could do in the league today, but like I said, I'd take Curry alone over Russell and Iverson.

You would take a brittle ankle player alone over the best most dominant winner of all time(plus defender) and a guy who Lebron labeled the best player(greatest) pound for pound? The Answer had to take 30 shots per game because he was playing with 3-5ppg career scorers(go look it up yourself for proof since you love stats) for years and Russell could score when needed but didn't have to, I think he avg like 24ppg versus Big Dipper head to head, Russell/The Answer all day as a combo with shooters surrounding them and add another capable wing/or bigman scorer like a Pippen/Kawhi/Rasheed type and you have a serious big 3 to contend for titles

Russell's team didn't win before him or after he retired and The Answer took a rag tag team to the Finals in the same ilk as Lebron did in 07', Curry is not built to do that, but he can shoot with range with the best of'em

the title of the thread is not who is the best 3pt shooter duo of all time or it would be Curry/and his dad

Bigbadmoffo
01-20-2017, 04:29 AM