PDA

View Full Version : How would Shaq's team do vs current top 5

JordansBulls
09-07-2016, 08:36 PM
With him choosing these 4 guys to introduce him in the Hall of fame.

Add Shaq to the mix.

PG Isiah
SG Dr J
SF Russell
PF Zo
C Shaq

vs

Current Top 5 in 2016 (You pick them)

HOLD_THIS_L
09-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Steph C
Klay T (had Kobe hints the edit)
Kevin D
LeBron J
Hakeem O

Sent from my iPhone using Pimptalk

JordansBulls
09-07-2016, 10:36 PM
Steph C
Klay T (had Kobe hints the edit)
Kevin D
LeBron J
Hakeem O

Sent from my iPhone using Pimptalk

How is Hakeem in the league now?

Shammyguy3
09-07-2016, 10:39 PM
PG Isiah
SG Dr J
SF Russell
PF Zo
C Shaq

vs

PG: Lebron
SG: Curry
SF: Durant
PF: Leonard
C: Green

would cause the most mismatches. Shaq would have to hit all of his free throws to overcome the 3-point barrage of Curry-Durant-Leonard-Green that Lebron would be dishing to

mrblisterdundee
09-07-2016, 10:44 PM
PG Isiah
SG Dr J
SF Russell
PF Zo
C Shaq

PG - Stephen Curry
SG - Jimmy Butler
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - LeBron James
C - DeMarcus Cousins

The modern top-five needs to win on the perimeter, but they also need a couple bangers like Butler and James. No way is Cousins going to mitigate O'Neal in the post. But O'Neal isn't stopping Cousins either, especially when he gets pulled out to the three-point line. I almost want to drop Curry and play Chris Paul way better defense, and still a significant threat from three.

valade16
09-07-2016, 11:56 PM
PG Isiah
SG Dr J
SF Russell
PF Zo
C Shaq

vs

PG: Lebron
SG: Curry
SF: Durant
PF: Leonard
C: Green

would cause the most mismatches. Shaq would have to hit all of his free throws to overcome the 3-point barrage of Curry-Durant-Leonard-Green that Lebron would be dishing to

The Shaq team would be shooting 70% from the field by simply dunking on their current counterparts. Sure they could foul them to send Shaq and Russell to the line... Until they foul out (which would be relatively quickly).

Shammyguy3
09-08-2016, 12:38 AM
The Shaq team would be shooting 70% from the field by simply dunking on their current counterparts. Sure they could foul them to send Shaq and Russell to the line... Until they foul out (which would be relatively quickly).

I don't think so, Isiah/Erving/Russell never had to deal with the complexity of help-defense and zones. When you factor in three players that aren't used to using space on the court optimally, and put them with two other guys that cannot score outside of 6 feet, it will become very easy to stop penetration and easy to double team/force turnovers.

On the other side, you could have a pick and roll with any of the 2016 star players with any of them being the pick & roll ball handler or the pick setter.

JasonJohnHorn
09-08-2016, 03:10 PM
That would be an awful line-up. Shaq and Russell couldn't shoot and would just clog the lane. Mourning would give even less spacing, and neither Dr. J nor Thomas had much of a 3-pt shot.

I'm confident the curry Warriors line-up would take that team out easily with a slight upgrade at C. Perhaps DMC, or Marc Gasol. Somebody big enough to through some weight into Shaq. If you want, you can swap Green out for LBJ.

Shammyguy3
09-08-2016, 04:21 PM
That would be an awful line-up. Shaq and Russell couldn't shoot and would just clog the lane. Mourning would give even less spacing, and neither Dr. J nor Thomas had much of a 3-pt shot.

I'm confident the curry Warriors line-up would take that team out easily with a slight upgrade at C. Perhaps DMC, or Marc Gasol. Somebody big enough to through some weight into Shaq. If you want, you can swap Green out for LBJ.

Agreed, and I think Bogut would actually be perfectly fine because he's a monster defensively

valade16
09-08-2016, 04:31 PM
I don't think so, Isiah/Erving/Russell never had to deal with the complexity of help-defense and zones. When you factor in three players that aren't used to using space on the court optimally, and put them with two other guys that cannot score outside of 6 feet, it will become very easy to stop penetration and easy to double team/force turnovers.

On the other side, you could have a pick and roll with any of the 2016 star players with any of them being the pick & roll ball handler or the pick setter.

And Draymond Green has never had to deal with anyone as strong or talented in the post as Zo, let alone Shaq.

You say Isiah/Dr. J/Bill never had to deal with help defense and zone my answer is they won't here either.

With that team any second not spent with a hard double on Shaq is an automatic lob dunk for Shaq. Dray gives up near half a foot and 50 lbs.

So who Doubles Shaq with Dray? Kawhi or KD? Because if it's Kawhi that means leaving KD on Zo, no a good idea.

But let's reverse the rules, what if it was pre-00's rules? Does Shaq's team suddenly have the edge to you or still no?

tredigs
09-08-2016, 05:49 PM
With him choosing these 4 guys to introduce him in the Hall of fame.

Add Shaq to the mix.

PG Isiah
SG Dr J
SF Russell
PF Zo
C Shaq

vs

Current Top 5 in 2016 (You pick them)

Russell meaning Bill Russell? At the 3? All amazing players in a vacuum but man his team would get smoked by any well rounded beasts just by virtue of the fact that they have nobody who can space the floor and hit threes.

I won't even take the best players or team possible. I would feel extremely comfortable in this matchup with a team of...

PG: CP3
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF: Lebron James
PF: Draymond Green
C: Rudy Gobert

That's ELITE defense at every position. Unselfish players. Passing/scoring in droves. They'd just wipe the floor with Shaq's team and their complete lack of shooting ability (2 players who can hit a three, and those two were a career 29% on 1 attempt per game). They'd also own the transition game with dunks and open threes.

tredigs
09-08-2016, 05:59 PM
^Swap CP3 for Curry, Butler for Klay, Lebron for KD, Draymond for Millsap, and Gobert for Marc Gasol and I'm still feeling pretty good.

valade16
09-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Isiah, Dr. J and Shaq is a pretty ferocious fast break actually lol.

Shammyguy3
09-08-2016, 06:11 PM
And Draymond Green has never had to deal with anyone as strong or talented in the post as Zo, let alone Shaq.

You say Isiah/Dr. J/Bill never had to deal with help defense and zone my answer is they won't here either.

With that team any second not spent with a hard double on Shaq is an automatic lob dunk for Shaq. Dray gives up near half a foot and 50 lbs.

So who Doubles Shaq with Dray? Kawhi or KD? Because if it's Kawhi that means leaving KD on Zo, no a good idea.

But let's reverse the rules, what if it was pre-00's rules? Does Shaq's team suddenly have the edge to you or still no?m
But they would have to deal with help defense and zone. The best three point shooter shoots below 30% from three. Play zone the entire time, nobody steps out beyond 15 feet honestly and the game is won by denying post entry and shooting just a mediocre rate from deep (like 37%, which will be easily achieved by Curry Durant Leonard and Green).

You don't need to bother doubling Shaq honestly. Because he will be hurling over his own guys and having difficulty getting the ball in the first place.

Reverse the rules and allow no zones then Shaq's team imroves And I might switch my roster a little. However, even if you did switch the rules I am not entirely convinced the Shaq team wins man.

From three point land alone I imagine the Lebron - Curry - Durant- Leonard - Green team makes at least 20 a game because who in the world will Shaq/Zo keep up?

The Shaq team also will risk not getting their defense set up if they choose to take advantage of crashing the boards opening up the transition game for Lebron and company

jon32
09-08-2016, 06:41 PM
PG - Chris Paul
SG - Steph Curry
SF - Kawi Leonard
PF - LeBron James
C - Demarcus Cousins

I'd feel pretty good Goin up against them with the lineup

tredigs
09-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Isiah, Dr. J and Shaq is a pretty ferocious fast break actually lol.

I mean young Shaq yeah is fine, but not '01 or later. And he can dunk on the break as a trailer, that's about it. And Zeke and Dr. J aren't a threat to hit 3's, severely limiting the fast-break potential. Give me a CP3/Klay/Bron fast break 100 times out of 100 over those three. Just night and day compared to the team I made. They really would just get smoked in a 7 game series. It's not a fair matchup for sure.

IKnowHoops
09-09-2016, 01:05 AM
PG Curry
SG Kawhi
SF Durant
PF Lebron
C AD

This team is running and gunning.

Federal Reserve
09-11-2016, 02:36 AM
Bill Russell would be a high school kid playing against professionals. He would be outmatched and outplayed by any respected big in today's NBA. Why is a guy who dominated against WWII veterans (yes, this is actually true!) considered to be a top 10 player of all time? I'll give him his dues because he was able to leverage his physical abilities to dominate during the early era of the NBA. But when you look at the overall period of the NBA, Russell's 15 points per game would equate to about 4-10 points in today's game with a poor field goal percentage (depending on how bad Russell's team would be).

tredigs
09-12-2016, 02:27 PM
Bill Russell would be a high school kid playing against professionals. He would be outmatched and outplayed by any respected big in today's NBA. Why is a guy who dominated against WWII veterans (yes, this is actually true!) considered to be a top 10 player of all time? I'll give him his dues because he was able to leverage his physical abilities to dominate during the early era of the NBA. But when you look at the overall period of the NBA, Russell's 15 points per game would equate to about 4-10 points in today's game with a poor field goal percentage (depending on how bad Russell's team would be).

Lmao ditto Wilt Chamberalin, Big O, Jerry West, Pettit, Baylor, Hondo and probably even Kareem, right? You bb savant you.