PDA

View Full Version : Are you tired of the excuses being made for the GSW this postseason?

Nikeman
09-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Its September for christ sake, and Curry comes out and says "I wasnt 100%"

Dude.. your team won last year playing the Cavs without Kyrie & Love, you were down 2-1 to Memphis before Conley went out and Tony Allen injured his hamstring, and then you played a garbage Houston team..

I am tired of months of excuses being made for GS about how Curry was injured and they lost the finals... lets stop acting like they beat a full strength Cavs team in 2015.

LeBron single handedly won 2 games against GS, and ran out of gas. They had basically won Game 1 as well before GS stole one from the jaws of death.

I love how the media is so quick to point out curry was injured and does not even mention the Cavs in 2015.

tredigs
09-04-2016, 10:41 AM

Dude.. your team won last year playing the Cavs without Kyrie & Love, you were down 2-1 to Memphis before Conley went out and Tony Allen injured his hamstring, and then you played a garbage Houston team..

I am tired of months of excuses being made for GS about how Curry was injured and they lost the finals... lets stop acting like they beat a full strength Cavs team in 2015.

LeBron single handedly won 2 games against GS, and ran out of gas. They had basically won Game 1 as well before GS stole one from the jaws of death.

I love how the media is so quick to point out curry was injured and does not even mention the Cavs in 2015.

Lol give it a rest dude. I just watched the interview you're talking about.

Interviewer: "So how much was your knee hurting you then and where is it now?"

Curry: "I mean it wasn't 100% but who cares? -laughs- I'm taking the summer to try to get it right, and we've still got a little work to do going into training camp, but if you're out there playing and you're not 100%, nobody's going to listen to that".

What I get out of that is that rather than just blow off the reporters question (in a sit-down interview after practice), he's just giving an honest take. And, who doesn't already know this?

Nobody points out the Cavs were injured in 2015? Uhhh... what in the **** are you talking about? Lmao. It is literally all I heard last summer. And it wasn't just from fans. Players spoke on it as well. One of the biggest preseason stories was how big of a chip the Warriors had coming into the 2015/16 season because of all doubters they had who thought they were a fluke. Ironically it's probably why they went for the 74 wins so hard, which in turn may have not been the best choice for them from a post-season standpoint.

hugepatsfan
09-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Yeah but Curry is hardly one of the only guys to mention that he's injured then say it doesn't matter but make sure everyone knows it so they can say for him that it mattered. I remember when Lebron played BOS in CLE (last series of his first stint) he had an arm injury and he said that he'd never use an injury as a reason for not playing up to par but that it made it hard for him to play his best, in the same sentence. :laugh2:

Vee-Rex
09-04-2016, 12:31 PM
I don't really care. I just know that I can laugh at every single person who suggested after the 2014-15 Finals that the Cavs would've been worse with a healthy Kyrie. You all know who you are.

:clap: :laugh2: :clap: :laugh2:

Scoots
09-04-2016, 12:39 PM
This same stuff happens every year. Curry was asked a question about his health, what is he supposed to say? Seriously, what is his answer supposed to be that's better than what he said? I haven't heard a single Warrior player or exec say anything about excuses, they've all said they lost and the Cavs beat them.

kingsdelez24
09-04-2016, 12:42 PM
And if he said he was fine, he would't hear the end of how poorly he choked for the rest of the playoffs. Its a lose-lose-lose situation. The third loser is OP and people alike for buying into this media driven hyperbole

bgdreton
09-04-2016, 02:24 PM

Dude no excuses are being made for this year or last for any team. I just wish they would play 100 percent on both sides with no injuries or suspensions. Get over it. If im over the loss you should be over whatever the media says about chokes/excuses/etc. Geez can we just move on we lost with what we had.

basch152
09-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Nikeman, this post might be the most pathetic one I've ever seen.

Talk about looking for reasobs to hate someone.

IndyRealist
09-04-2016, 08:14 PM
and if he said he was fine, he would't hear the end of how poorly he choked for the rest of the playoffs. Its a lose-lose-lose situation. The third loser is op and people alike for buying into this media driven hyperbole

ftw.

Htownballa1622
09-04-2016, 08:23 PM
The Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the NBA Finals.

IKnowHoops
09-04-2016, 09:07 PM
I have no problem with what Curry said. I personally see a difference between fact/truth, and excuses. I know most people don't but I do.

BKLYNpigeon
09-05-2016, 01:10 AM
didn't the Cavs make the same excuses last year when they lost?

More-Than-Most
09-05-2016, 02:05 AM

I cant remember any top athlete who clearly at one point was injured that didnt answer in a similar way that curry did. I cant hate him for this sorry.

More-Than-Most
09-05-2016, 02:06 AM
didn't the Cavs make the same excuses last year when they lost?

they did... But they got destroyed as did the people that used them not being healthy as an excuse

Chronz
09-05-2016, 02:22 AM
I don't really care. I just know that I can laugh at every single person who suggested after the 2014-15 Finals that the Cavs would've been worse with a healthy Kyrie. You all know who you are.

Amen to that. We had posters who I consider to be basketball savants trying to outsmart themselves with that one. Its like dude, they are running 6 guys out there, one of them has never started before and had to be hooked to an IV after the game and you're arguing that a talent infusion would hurt? LMFAO. Stupidest thing I've ever heard from some really smart heads.

AllBall
09-05-2016, 09:08 AM
I have no problem with what Curry said. I personally see a difference between fact/truth, and excuses. I know most people don't but I do.

Fact is the NBA gifted them an entrance into the Finals for ratings. They had no business being there, it should have been OKC.

Bowman53
09-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Fact is the NBA gifted them an entrance into the Finals for ratings. They had no business being there, it should have been OKC.

Get out of here. OKC had plenty of chances to put the Warriors away in that series.

prodigy
09-06-2016, 04:16 AM

Well what did you expect. GSW and mainly Curry are the golden children. People bow down to them as if they are gods. I love ur last line about the media not mentioning the Cavs injuries in 2015. Its the truth.

GSW were up 3-1 on the cavs. was Curry injured then too, or was it just when they started to lose. Everyone plays hurt and banged up. even more so that late in a season. you think LeBron wasn't hurting somewhere? or TT or Irving.

Here's the thing. It helps them to sleep at night making excuses. because facing the facts that the best player in the world just balled the ******* out of ur whole team is too much to handle. Also Irving picked Curry apart the whole series and buried the game winner in his face.

prodigy
09-06-2016, 04:18 AM

:hi5:

AllBall
09-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Get out of here. OKC had plenty of chances to put the Warriors away in that series.

Oh, so we're just going to pretend like kicking people and over the shoulder throw downs didn't warrant suspension?

HOLD_THIS_L
09-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Well what did you expect. GSW and mainly Curry are the golden children. People bow down to them as if they are gods. I love ur last line about the media not mentioning the Cavs injuries in 2015. Its the truth.

GSW were up 3-1 on the cavs. was Curry injured then too, or was it just when they started to lose. Everyone plays hurt and banged up. even more so that late in a season. you think LeBron wasn't hurting somewhere? or TT or Irving.

Here's the thing. It helps them to sleep at night making excuses. because facing the facts that the best player in the world just balled the ******* out of ur whole team is too much to handle. Also Irving picked Curry apart the whole series and buried the game winner in his face.
Yes LeBron balled out hard. But to troll on PSD or really believe Curry wasn't injured makes me question if you even watch the finals?

Sent from my iPhone using Pimptalk

Scoots
09-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Don't feed the trolls.

SteBO
09-06-2016, 01:26 PM
Always amazes me how people can't tell the difference between stating the facts, giving a plausible explanation, and making excuses. I heard nonstop two seasons ago about Irving/Love not playing in the Finals, and while I think it was supremely overstated, it was still valid given who LBJ was stuck with without those two guys. No difference here.

OP is simply another strawman argument to try and bridge the gap.

Hawkeye15
09-06-2016, 01:52 PM
I didn't read Curry's response as an excuse. The dude wasn't 100%. Hell, most likely nobody is by game 100

tredigs
09-06-2016, 02:03 PM
I didn't read Curry's response as an excuse. The dude wasn't 100%. Hell, most likely nobody is by game 100

While that's true, most don't sprain/tear their MCL mid-playoffs. It's certainly a different situation to come back from that and finish off the post-season than your common accumulative pains most players have. Still, this just seems like Curry is acknowledging a pretty well understood fact and OP is just looking to troll (evidenced by no responses by him).

Had he said, "listen - if we rerun those playoffs and I'm in the same shape as I was when I started against Houston (where he dropped 24/7 + 3 steals and 5 threes in the first half before he went down btw), we're probably seeing a different result".

While that's still likely a reality, it would rightfully be seen as an excuse. Because injuries happen, and the #1 for winning a ship is having your leaders on the court and as healthy as possible when it's all on the line. And as any Warrior fan will tell you, they were more than good enough/healthy enough to win as they were. They were up 3-1 for God sakes.

Hawkeye15
09-06-2016, 03:36 PM
While that's true, most don't sprain/tear their MCL mid-playoffs. It's certainly a different situation to come back from that and finish off the post-season than your common accumulative pains most players have. Still, this just seems like Curry is acknowledging a pretty well understood fact and OP is just looking to troll (evidenced by no responses by him).

Had he said, "listen - if we rerun those playoffs and I'm in the same shape as I was when I started against Houston (where he dropped 24/7 + 3 steals and 5 threes in the first half before he went down btw), we're probably seeing a different result".

While that's still likely a reality, it would rightfully be seen as an excuse. Because injuries happen, and the #1 for winning a ship is having your leaders on the court and as healthy as possible when it's all on the line. And as any Warrior fan will tell you, they were more than good enough/healthy enough to win as they were. They were up 3-1 for God sakes.

yep, agree with all of it. I don't think he would have said anything that came off as an excuse, just a reality. The dude wasn't near 100%. But the Warriors caved, after being up 3-1. They know that, they don't need (and probably won't) make any excuses. Would they have finishing off the Cavs with a 100% Curry? Yep. Oh well, **** happens.

Vee-Rex
09-06-2016, 05:03 PM
yep, agree with all of it. I don't think he would have said anything that came off as an excuse, just a reality. The dude wasn't near 100%. But the Warriors caved, after being up 3-1. They know that, they don't need (and probably won't) make any excuses. Would they have finishing off the Cavs with a 100% Curry? Yep. Oh well, **** happens.

I disagree. I'd argue that the Cavs had the momentum after game 2 and would refer you to:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?913270-2016-Cavs-Championship-Luck-Strategy-or-some-of-both

We have no idea if Curry was 70%, or 90%, or which one he was closer to.

What we do know that is fact is that after game 2, the Cavs schematically decided to take away Curry's drives inside the 3-point line and strove to force more 3-point shot attempts from everyone not named Klay and Steph. The above link that I posted, if you read it in its entirety shows this.

What we do know that is fact is that Stephen Curry's performance against the Thunder in the conference finals is extremely similar to if not practically identical to his entire playoff performance last year.

To me, that's an indication that the Cavs had a gameplan that limited him and/or he chokes when playing in the finals. It's easy and fun to blame it on injury without properly analyzing the situation.

But I don't care if both legs were broken completely in half - 1. if he waited out the full recovery time period (which was simply 2 weeks... it was only a mild sprain, let's not make it out to be more than what it was) AND 2. reverted back to his normal playoff performance in a 7-game series versus the Thunder (not to mention averaging an incredible 35ppg 10apg 7rbpg in a 2-game sample versus the Trail Blazers in 36mpg of play) ----- I'm more likely to side with the clear evidence that the Cavs limited him schematically more than anything else (and that he has 'underperformed' in his 2nd straight finals but I won't call him a choker unless it happens one more time).

With that in mind, I'm not sure I'd argue that if he was 100% they would've won, primarily because I believe he was far healthier (though not completely healthy, but at that point who is?) than people seem to believe - something I'd happily debate and argue with logic and stats supporting my side.

Hawkeye15
09-06-2016, 05:16 PM
I disagree. I'd argue that the Cavs had the momentum after game 2 and would refer you to:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?913270-2016-Cavs-Championship-Luck-Strategy-or-some-of-both

What we do know that is fact is that after game 2, the Cavs schematically decided to take away Curry's drives inside the 3-point line and strove to force more 3-point shot attempts from everyone not named Klay and Steph. The above link that I posted, if you read it in its entirety shows this.

What we do know that is fact is that Stephen Curry's performance against the Thunder in the conference finals is extremely similar to if not practically identical to his entire playoff performance last year.

To me, that's an indication that the Cavs had a gameplan that limited him and/or he chokes when playing in the finals. It's easy and fun to blame it on injury without properly analyzing the situation.

But I don't care if both legs were broken completely in half - 1. if he waited out the full recovery time period (which was simply 2 weeks... it was only a mild sprain, let's not make it out to be more than what it was) AND 2. reverted back to his normal playoff performance in a 7-game series versus the Thunder (not to mention averaging an incredible 35ppg 10apg 7rbpg in a 2-game sample versus the Trail Blazers in 36mpg of play) ----- I'm more likely to side with the clear evidence that the Cavs limited him schematically more than anything else (and that he has 'underperformed' in his 2nd straight finals but I won't call him a choker unless it happens one more time).

With that in mind, I'm not sure I'd argue that if he was 100% they would've won, primarily because I believe he was far healthier (though not completely healthy, but at that point who is?) than people seem to believe - something I'd happily debate and argue with logic and stats supporting my side.

I simply can't imagine a quicker Curry with more bounce wouldn't have gone off or been efficient enough to close the series. Hell, Iggy's back issues might have been more of an issue, since he is the only one, when healthy, that can stay with LeBron without help constantly.

But it's all speculation, because they didn't win it, he wasn't 100%, boo hoo for the Warriors. The problem with winning titles with a ton of talent is, it's still really ****ing hard. They are set to have more chances, up to them to capitalize.

Vee-Rex
09-06-2016, 05:39 PM
I simply can't imagine a quicker Curry with more bounce wouldn't have gone off or been efficient enough to close the series. Hell, Iggy's back issues might have been more of an issue, since he is the only one, when healthy, that can stay with LeBron without help constantly.

But it's all speculation, because they didn't win it, he wasn't 100%, boo hoo for the Warriors. The problem with winning titles with a ton of talent is, it's still really ****ing hard. They are set to have more chances, up to them to capitalize.

To the bolded, I say: "The eye shows you what you want to believe"

I watched the entire GS versus Portland series and only missed 1.5 games in the GS versus Thunder series. My eye showed me a man that was playing as fully healthy as fans could hope, and he was destroying them in all the usual ways that he does (not quite up to par to his regular season self, but I don't expect him to consistently replicate those numbers in the playoffs). And the numbers back what I saw.

Honestly? I'm far more believing that Curry simply had an off shooting performance (some of it due to the Cavs strategy, some not) in the finals. We all saw those last scoreless 5 or so minutes in game 7... Curry missed shots that he normally makes, and he made bad plays (costing 2 or 3 turnovers in that time period). If we were to replay game 7, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Curry put up 40+ and destroyed the Cavs. But that has nothing to do with his non-serious, mild MCL sprain (exactly as it was described).

Warriors are an amazing team, so the 'excuses' or 'reasons' don't bother me at all. I'd be a hypocritical fool if I were to suggest the Cavs would've certainly won if Curry was 100%, Green didn't get suspended, Bogut/Iggy injuries. I just happen to think that Curry really wasn't as injured as the current narrative seems to be.

And I soundly agree with the rest of your post.

Kyben36
09-06-2016, 06:12 PM

He also said it doesnt matter if he was 100%, the question was asked by reporters, the media is playing to your sense of lets criminalize the GS Warriors. because they are top of the league.

JasonJohnHorn
09-06-2016, 07:17 PM
There is a big difference between making excuses, and being asked about something. People have been asking about his knees. He responds. No BFD there.

I feel like they have taken ownership over the loss. Curry says he watches videos of the series for motivation. He looking to see what he did wrong and what he can do better in future.

There was a suspension, and two key injuries. One that took a player out (Bogut) and one that limited a player (Curry). It wasn't an excuse, just a fact.

prodigy
09-07-2016, 01:09 AM

Cavs were up 2 games to 1 on the Warriors last season. Then LeBron simply got worn down we all saw that. So you add a Irving and Love by ur theory we can assume Cavs would've finished off the warriors right? Since they would be more fresh.

prodigy
09-07-2016, 01:14 AM

Great stuff

Scoots
09-07-2016, 09:31 AM

Thus KD was made THE top priority ... they needed a player who could not be stopped that way.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Cavs were up 2 games to 1 on the Warriors last season. Then LeBron simply got worn down we all saw that. So you add a Irving and Love by ur theory we can assume Cavs would've finished off the warriors right? Since they would be more fresh.

Last year was also GS's first real playoff push. That factored in for me. But sure, a better team going down 2-1 to a lesser team happens. GS would have had a much tougher climb to come back and win last year with Irving/Love healthy.

AllBall
09-07-2016, 11:10 AM
ESPN College Game Day

Sing on left, lol, just lol

Tony_Starks
09-07-2016, 01:05 PM
The best team, the team with the two best players of the series, won.

MarkieMark48
09-09-2016, 01:09 PM
this happens all the time across all sports.... a player or coach is asked a question and the player answers the reporters question, but just the clip from the player is played like they are making an excuse, or crying about something and then they get ridiculed for it..... but because its steph this time, it needs to stop

IKnowHoops
09-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Thus KD was made THE top priority ... they needed a player who could not be stopped that way.

As does every team haha

Scoots
09-09-2016, 09:39 PM
As does every team haha
I meant that the warriors had no post game. Most teams had a better post scorer than the warriors

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

IKnowHoops
09-10-2016, 12:50 AM
I meant that the warriors had no post game. Most teams had a better post scorer than the warriors

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I feel you

Federal Reserve
09-11-2016, 02:08 AM
The game was decided by one shot. At that point is was pure luck. The Cavs got lucky that Irving hit the three-pointer before Curry did. Those odds actually favored the Warriors, if we use career statistics to compare the three-point shooting. I won't speak about the rest of the game, but the game certainly ended on a coin flip that was slightly biased toward the Warriors.

Vee-Rex
09-11-2016, 11:05 AM
The game was decided by one shot. At that point is was pure luck. The Cavs got lucky that Irving hit the three-pointer before Curry did. Those odds actually favored the Warriors, if we use career statistics to compare the three-point shooting. I won't speak about the rest of the game, but the game certainly ended on a coin flip that was slightly biased toward the Warriors.

If it were that black-n-white - sure... but it's not. At this point I feel comfortable calling Kyrie the most clutch player in the NBA (and Curry is good too). Kyrie has done it countless times (last second shot or even performance in the last few minutes) in his entire 5-year career. It's insane how many times Kyrie has hit game winning baskets given he is only 24 years old.

Kyrie showed up... Curry didn't, and that's that.

FlashBolt
09-11-2016, 11:19 PM
If it were that black-n-white - sure... but it's not. At this point I feel comfortable calling Kyrie the most clutch player in the NBA (and Curry is good too). Kyrie has done it countless times (last second shot or even performance in the last few minutes) in his entire 5-year career. It's insane how many times Kyrie has hit game winning baskets given he is only 24 years old.

Kyrie showed up... Curry didn't, and that's that.

Well, it's pretty obvious why:

Kyrie is the most gifted ISO-player in the NBA right now. I don't have the stats to back that up but just his ability to handle the ball and attack you at any facet of the court is unreachable right now. Like KD, you just hope he misses but he doesn't have the ability that Kyrie has. Same with Curry. He's an amazing shooter but he falls in love with it and forgets to time his position for a better shot. Kyrie is the one guy right now who I can realistically say, "I don't know how he will attack you but he's going to do it and get the shot he wants." The other guys, I know what they're doing. KD is going to pull-up because he has the height to do so. Curry is going to dribble dribble, cross, wait for a pick, and bang. Kyrie is a different story. More weapons to his game. He might not be as efficient but he's the one guy who truly can't be stopped if his shots are falling. There's not a single move in the game he can't do.

BTW, I hope LeBron and the Cavs take advantage of Kyrie's growth if it comes down to it. LeBron did it by trusting Kyrie with the gamewinning three point shot but it's going to be Kyrie's team if he wants it.

kdspurman
09-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Well, it's pretty obvious why:

Kyrie is the most gifted ISO-player in the NBA right now. I don't have the stats to back that up but just his ability to handle the ball and attack you at any facet of the court is unreachable right now. Like KD, you just hope he misses but he doesn't have the ability that Kyrie has. Same with Curry. He's an amazing shooter but he falls in love with it and forgets to time his position for a better shot. Kyrie is the one guy right now who I can realistically say, "I don't know how he will attack you but he's going to do it and get the shot he wants." The other guys, I know what they're doing. KD is going to pull-up because he has the height to do so. Curry is going to dribble dribble, cross, wait for a pick, and bang. Kyrie is a different story. More weapons to his game. He might not be as efficient but he's the one guy who truly can't be stopped if his shots are falling. There's not a single move in the game he can't do.

BTW, I hope LeBron and the Cavs take advantage of Kyrie's growth if it comes down to it. LeBron did it by trusting Kyrie with the gamewinning three point shot but it's going to be Kyrie's team if he wants it.

Kyrie is such a tough guard man. And when he gets going, it's so tough to stop him. But I agree, he's a bit more unpredictable. Sometimes gets a bit out of control, but it's all about him maturing as a player and becoming more methodical and his BBIQ continuing to improve

FlashBolt
09-12-2016, 01:25 PM
Kyrie is such a tough guard man. And when he gets going, it's so tough to stop him. But I agree, he's a bit more unpredictable. Sometimes gets a bit out of control, but it's all about him maturing as a player and becoming more methodical and his BBIQ continuing to improve

Yup. His only issue is he gets way too out of control. Hopefully he becomes aware of that as he grows. His playmaking ability is still suspect but with LeBron there, his role is to become someone who can take attention away from LeBron and also, score. He was exactly that in the Finals.