PDA

View Full Version : Finding value on the bench

mrblisterdundee
09-02-2016, 03:00 PM
The Ringer had a piece on finding value on the bench (https://theringer.com/the-next-kent-bazemore-8653fd7e9226#.39vdan54z), using guys like Kent Bazemore and Will Barton as examples who found bigger roles after teams gave them a chance.
Who do you think languishing on a bench and primed for a bigger role?

nycericanguy
09-02-2016, 03:04 PM
homer pick here but Justin Holiday... seems like the Knicks insisted that he be included in the Rose trade. The tools are there for Holiday to be a 3 & D guy. Just like Lance Thomas last year who was finally given a chance.

IndyRealist
09-02-2016, 06:15 PM
This is where statistics and analysis shine. Anybody can tell you Lebron is a top player in the NBA, but they can't tell you that a guy who only gets 7 mpg improves the team's scoring differential by 7 points per 100 possessions no matter who he's on the floor with. Or a guy who starts is the single biggest factor to why the team is succeeding, but no one recognizes it because there are two high volume scorers on the team who get all the credit.

I'd put money on Clint Capella, Miles Plumlee, and TJ McConnell having good years and surprising a lot of people. Festus Ezeli is coming to an organization with a couple of good centers already, and Jeremy Lamb is behind a glut of wing players, or I'd include those two as well.

My homer pick is Solomon Hill, who I think is going to tear it up. I believe he was graded an F in his draft by virtually everybody.

Edit: Looking at rosters, I can't believe Terrence Jones went for like vet min money. I know he has problems, but c'mon.

ewing
09-02-2016, 06:29 PM
I like Corey Brewer. I also like anthony Morrow and Kyle Singler should have a role somewhere.

Scoots
09-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Funny that Kent Bazemore, Justin Holiday, and Anthony Morrow all got a chance to play with the Warriors, then moved to a 2nd team and got better. I really like Holiday ... he has a good all-around game and produced for the Warriors when given a chance.

mrblisterdundee
09-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Mario Hezonja can be one of these guys, but needs to get out of Orlando. They've obviously gone in a different direction, with Evan Fournier taking up most of the time at shooting guard, and Aaron Gordon trying to play small forward, even though he's more of a Kenneth Faried-style smaller power forward.
Dennis Schröder's finally getting his chance, too, and I think he'll shine a la Rajon Rondo in Boston, albeit with slightly better shooting.

Scoots
09-06-2016, 01:17 PM
The Warriors are going to lose games this year looking to find value on their bench. They've got Kevon Looney who was an injured last pick in the first round 2 years ago (and is injured still), Damian Jones who was an injured last pick in the first round last year (and is injured still), Ian Clark who showed some good D and some good O when his confidence wasn't collapsing, James Michael McAdoo is active and is a decent finisher but has never been given time to see what he can do, and Patrick McCaw who is 6'7" and weighs about 15 pounds but plays hard on D and sees the floor well and has been compared to Shaun Livingston with range.

I know some of them are going to fall flat, but the Warriors NEED at least a couple of that group to step up big this year because other than that group of unknown youth the Warriors bench only goes 3 deep with Iguodala, Livingston, and West all of whom need their minutes to be limited.

Tony_Starks
09-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Benches and "glue guys" are probably the most underrated and under appreciated ingredient in a championship recipe. Don't believe me ask Golden State about Iggy and Bogut, better yet ask Cleveland about Richard Jefferson.

Just like during all the Laker runs from the 80's through the 2000's we had the big stars but also some of the role players in the biz.