PDA

View Full Version : 2016 September Callups (Yeah, More Than Moncada)

RedSoxtober
09-02-2016, 11:19 AM
The Red Sox plan to make four September call-ups while also activating catcher Ryan Hanigan from the disabled list.

The team announced that it will recall right-hander Joe Kelly and infielder Deven Marrero from Triple-A Pawtucket on Friday. The Red Sox will also select left-hander Robby Scott to the roster from Pawtucket, as well as make official news we’ve known for more than a day now, that top prospect Yoan Moncada will join the team from Double-A Portland.

Kelly went 2-0 with a 7.62 ERA in Boston. He experienced far more success in relief at Pawtucket after returning there on July 15, posting a 0.56 ERA in 16 innings and striking out 25 while walking just two.

Scott, who just turned 27 on Monday, will be making his big league debut after six years in the Red Sox system out of independent ball. The 6-foot-3, 220-pounder went 4-3 with a 2.54 ERA at Pawtucket, striking out 73 in 78 innings. He has made six starts this year and 26 relief appearances.weei.com

RedSoxtober
09-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Robby Scott is a bit of a surprise despite the nice season that he's put together. I'm a little more surprised that Hembree and Noe Ramirez are not on the list of early callups but I anticipate at least Hembree joins them soon enough. I liked what we saw of Cuevas, too.

Green_Monster
09-02-2016, 01:46 PM
So Scott is pretty good against LHB? Looks like he'll be facing mostly RHB then.

Soxfan85
09-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Scott's role with the Red Sox will probably be more defined. Ideally, he'd continue the success he's had at the minor-league level against left-handed hitters. Scott held lefties to a .147 average, .206 on-base percentage and .253 slugging percentage in Pawtucket this season.

The Providence Journal‎

AI
09-02-2016, 04:43 PM
Cuevas DFA'd

Lackeyfan41
09-02-2016, 06:10 PM
So Scott is pretty good against LHB? Looks like he'll be facing mostly RHB then.

This would be funny but it is too true.

AI
09-02-2016, 06:37 PM
Red Sox call up the #1 prospect in the game... What does Farrell do? Moncada to the bench and he starts Shaw at 3B against the RHP. Yes, the same Travis Shaw that is hitting .204/.278/.394 since July 1st and hit a scorching .162/.250/.292 in the month of August. Seriously, I ****ing loathe John Farrell.

Soxfan85
09-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Not surprising that Yoan Moncada isn't in the Red Sox's lineup, even against a RHP. John Farrell's pattern with top prospects (Xander Bogaerts and Andrew Benintendi, in particular) has been to let them watch from the bench on their first day in the big leagues, then start on their second. A's haven't named a starter for Saturday night, but if it's a right-hander, there's a decent chance we'll see Moncada.

Scott Lauber
ESPN Staff Writer

BoSox47
09-03-2016, 01:04 AM
What happens with Shaw this offseason? Do we retain him and have him play 1b with hanley at DH? Use Shaw vs righties and have hanley play 1b against lefties with someone else at DH?

Think he could become a trade chip for a pitcher, whether that be a sterter or for bullpen help..?

soxer04
09-03-2016, 01:41 PM
What happens with Shaw this offseason? Do we retain him and have him play 1b with hanley at DH? Use Shaw vs righties and have hanley play 1b against lefties with someone else at DH?

Think he could become a trade chip for a pitcher, whether that be a sterter or for bullpen help..?

IMO ofc a blockbuster deal he can be a chip for a big star but so can any 2nd tier or below player. I would definitely look into it. As DD once said no one is untouchable. So I would say yes- I'd look into moving him for help in priority areas though I wouldn't trade him straight up unless it is a no brainer. He is at a critical need position and he isn't awful plus he's cheap I think priorities in offseason in terms of tiers should be:

Tier 1

1-- Relief pitching

2-- First base (would love a blockbuster deal such as go after Freeman. I'd give up AN AWFUL LOT to get him. Though I understand Braves probably would in no way give him up. But he will be getting $20m next year for a team that is going to stink, he isn't very good defensively and he isn't a flashy big time sell ticket player. Though Braves can use help with anything.

Tier 2

1-- Blockbuster star pitcher (For a guy like Fernandez, I'd move AN AWFULLL LOT.)

2-- Terrific catcher (Though I'd stick with Leon and maybe see what Vaz can do)

3-- added bench or quality 3rd base/1b rh bat unless sox are confident that Sam Travis is ready for 1b and Moncada will be almost immediately at 3b. Then you can have Holt hold down 3b for a time.

In summary-- I don't think the Sox need to be desperate though and if Hanley can be good vs righties and with eventual Moncada playing next year, maybe best thing is patience and wait for next season mid-year before you move him. Because it is too hard to predict we can get a super player in a blockbuster. Keep him I say unless a blockbuster deal and he can be a chip becomes available.

What are you thinking? Have any specific targets?

Pats Canadiens
09-03-2016, 08:24 PM
Flip Shaw to a small market club for a late inning lefty reliever like Sean Doolittle (Oakland) or Jake McGee (Colorado)

Soxfan85
09-04-2016, 09:27 AM
Red Sox will have Heath Hembree, Noe Ramirez and Christian Vazquez join them Monday. More call ups

@EvanDrellich

RedSoxtober
09-05-2016, 12:46 PM

I am not entirely convinced that Moncada doesn't go back to PAW and work on his swing. The 30% K-rate suggests he's still got work to do and, though he had improved walk rates towards the end of the season, finishing with five multi-strikeout games in his last six (11K/6G) further indicates that it was not something he'd entirely improved through AA. I believe that Feebles (AA manager) even said something about him letting speed be his game and work more towards the middle of the field and just getting the ball in play when asked about his callup.

With that in mind, I think that the decision with Shaw hinges on other moves like the potential pursuit of Encarnacion.

papipapsmanny
09-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Shaw will be traded. You have Travis behind him, who needs to come back from injury but was getting close to being ready before that injury.

Sandoval is a brick on this team. Moncada has about 2 months tops left in the minors (if he does end up going back).

Then we have been linked a lot to EE.

Even if we can trade Sandoval, Shaw is for sure not on this team past July 2017.