PDA

View Full Version : Teams that can render GS new look "Death Lineup" moot...

Chronz
09-01-2016, 07:38 PM
The Warriors most effective lineup has worked out for a few reasons, among them was their selective use of it. With the NBA gearing towards small ball, few teams are left with the requisite size to bully GS around, but they do exist. So with that in mind, what are the Top-3 teams you can think of that can effectively expose GS small ball.

Note: This doesn't mean they can win the game, just that they wont lose with GS going to their most deadliest of lineups.

1: Cavs (Outta respect)
2: Clippers (Blake and DJ had the best series of their careers [to that point] and eliminated the Dubs without Bogut)
3: Jazz (You just cant guard a team like them with 1 bigman+they are active defensively)

Dishonorable mention: Nobody mention the Spurs cuz they will space Pau out IMO. Pau is the last kind of player you want to add if you wanted to defend the Dubs in any iteration. Their only hope is Pau having a resurgent year offensively, fat chance.

More-Than-Most
09-01-2016, 07:54 PM
once the sixers trade for Knight add them to the list

kdspurman
09-01-2016, 08:11 PM
I'll still say the Spurs even though you said not to mention em'. ;)

Pop won't be afraid to bench him and/or limit him against GS if he is ineffective. Playing Kawhi at the 4 with LMA i'm sure will be something that's tinkered with. Who knows maybe David Lee can be effective in limited minutes at the 4. :hide: That might be more of a fat chance lol

It was said LMA wasn't strong defensively, and he definitely showed he is capable in SA. Maybe Pau can be a similar story when it's all said and done.

They just need to bully them on offense and keep the game at a slower pace/limit the turnovers.

Shammyguy3
09-01-2016, 08:17 PM
New York if they stay healthy (meaning Porzingis & Noah) - not that they would be a threat to Golden State at all, but they could be more physical while still matching the small ball game.

Atlanta - Millsap/Howard are formidable strong players that can keep up with the speed

kdspurman
09-01-2016, 08:27 PM
^Ah, atlanta is a good one.

More-Than-Most
09-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Atlanta is a really good answer... If the Cavs get rid of love and add a Noel I think they are by far the favorites to stop that lineup.

Chronz
09-01-2016, 10:23 PM
Noah aint the same perimeter defender guys, I remember hoping for Pau in Chicago but hes not going to make an elite defensive team better, hes beyond that point.

Kyben36
09-01-2016, 11:05 PM
Im going to go out on a limb here, and Say the GS Wariors. (WHAT)

hear me out, I have said for a long time, since prior to last season, Durrant is going to be the worst thing to happen to the GS Wariors. and Why. Well. Take a look at the Olympic team and it tells you everything you need to know. especially in the starting lineup. Kyrie Klay and Durrant is pretty much on par is not almost exactly the same as replacing curry. yes, curry is better, and a better passer, But both can be shot jackers who can ruin offnesive sets.

Where are the GS Wariors at the best though, last season, it was as a team running picks hitting draymond and runing offnese through that. however, now, with Klay Curry and Durrant fighting for shots, i think that They have issues with shot jacking, and its starts with Durrant.

how often did Durrant or Klay dirrible down the court and jack a shot in the olympics, running little to no sets offense ect.

this is what i fear will happen in GS, Durrant will jack a bunch of shots, and sure, he can make a good %, but its easy to defend. and if shots down fall, (which happens) you have to have a way to get going, and jacking more shots does not work alot of the time.

I know i get alot of heat for this opinion, but raw Tallent does not nessisarily make guys fit well, i think that the role that Bogut and Barnes played are going to be missed, which is a Big man who can block shots, and a wing defender who can be a more off ball player.

Will there be games where GS Shines, Sure, But in the playoffs, in crunch time, and in big game situations, teams will be able to slow the team down more easily than they did before.

but hey, just my opinion.

Kyben36
09-01-2016, 11:07 PM
Also, Wizards on Paper match up well, ish.

mngopher35
09-01-2016, 11:45 PM
Twolves. 8 seed over 1 seed. We comin

IKnowHoops
09-01-2016, 11:50 PM
I'm gonna say the MN Timberwolves. They played them tight when they played them and even beat them late in the season. They can match that small ball lineup with a combination of Dunn, Rubio, Lavine, Wiggins, Shabazz(who unmercifully destroyed them when they played and was the best player on the court that game) and KAT. They won't beat them up, but they have the small ballers and athletic ability to match.

SoxPatsCeltsBs
09-01-2016, 11:50 PM
The Celtics..

Shammyguy3
09-01-2016, 11:51 PM
Noah aint the same perimeter defender guys, I remember hoping for Pau in Chicago but hes not going to make an elite defensive team better, hes beyond that point.

no but he'll not have to guard perimeter guys as much with KP next to him instead of Pau

lol, please
09-02-2016, 12:02 AM
The Warriors most effective lineup has worked out for a few reasons, among them was their selective use of it. With the NBA gearing towards small ball, few teams are left with the requisite size to bully GS around, but they do exist. So with that in mind, what are the Top-3 teams you can think of that can effectively expose GS small ball.

Note: This doesn't mean they can win the game, just that they wont lose with GS going to their most deadliest of lineups.

1: Cavs (Outta respect)
2: Clippers (Blake and DJ had the best series of their careers [to that point] and eliminated the Dubs without Bogut)
3: Jazz (You just cant guard a team like them with 1 bigman+they are active defensively)

Dishonorable mention: Nobody mention the Spurs cuz they will space Pau out IMO. Pau is the last kind of player you want to add if you wanted to defend the Dubs in any iteration. Their only hope is Pau having a resurgent year offensively, fat chance.

I'll probably get flamed for it, but all I can be is honest lol. I think the Knicks, Bulls, Raptors, Spurs, and the Hawks all will give the Warriors some problems if they are healthy. Teams with depth, teams able to throw different lineups at them. Teams that don't rely on one or two scorers. Of those teams, I think the Raptors have the biggest question mark but I have high expectations for them despite losing Biyombo.

jerellh528
09-02-2016, 12:54 AM
Lakers

lol, please
09-02-2016, 01:54 AM
Lakers

Next season possibly, but this season, I think that's premature.

HOLD_THIS_L
09-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Kings

Sent from my N817 using Tapatalk

HOLD_THIS_L
09-02-2016, 03:38 AM
Magic

Shammyguy3
09-02-2016, 09:01 AM
I'll probably get flamed for it, but all I can be is honest lol. I think the Knicks, Bulls, Raptors, Spurs, and the Hawks all will give the Warriors some problems if they are healthy. Teams with depth, teams able to throw different lineups at them. Teams that don't rely on one or two scorers. Of those teams, I think the Raptors have the biggest question mark but I have high expectations for them despite losing Biyombo.

Bulls will definitely not be giving the Warriors death ball lineup problems, they cannot exploit them with size and if they try to matchup with the same playing style they will be ripped to shreds

latinofire21
09-02-2016, 09:17 AM
The clippers are not the answer to this question. DJ and Blake aren't stopping the Warriors. Enough already lmao

Scoots
09-02-2016, 09:27 AM
The death lineup isn't going to play much. The Warriors are, I'm sure, planning to make good and frequent use of Zaza's illegal screens.

The playoffs when the fouls are fewer the death lineup will be seen more, that is when KD's worth becomes clear.

Any team can beat the Warriors ... there were quite a few games last year that were Warriors wins that were 1 play the other way from being losses.

warfelg
09-02-2016, 09:39 AM
The death lineup isn't going to play much. The Warriors are, I'm sure, planning to make good and frequent use of Zaza's illegal screens.

The playoffs when the fouls are fewer the death lineup will be seen more, that is when KD's worth becomes clear.

Any team can beat the Warriors ... there were quite a few games last year that were Warriors wins that were 1 play the other way from being losses.

Like the Sixers game ;)

I wish we could get a Sixers "Lineup of death" in it's prime (once we get a PG and SG), up against the Warriors "Lineup of death" in it's prime.

I think that GS:
Curry
Klay
Iggy
KD
Green

Against Philly's:
XXX
Luwawu (if he develops)
Simmons
Saric
Embiid

Would be very interesting because that Sixers lineup could be skilled enough offensively with ball movement to give the Warrior problems, but switch enough and be long enough on defense to really cause issues. Even swapping Embiid for Noel creates problems. And I think that the main issue in this theoretical matchup would be Green on the interior defensively. Either he would have to switch with someone or they would have to just live with Embiid dominating the paint.

I think on a real answer this year:
If Cleveland found a way to swing a 3-team deal and got Noel from us.

Kyrie-Smith-Lebron-Thompson-Noel

I think that gives too much size and ball movement for the Warriors to match even with the switching. And defensively that fact that the frontcourt can all protect the rim from almost anywhere would really force the issue with an inability to get into the lane for the Warriors.

nycericanguy
09-02-2016, 10:00 AM

Can't find it right now but I read a pretty in depth article on Noah and how he can help the knicks, and even last year he was damn good on switches guarding the perimeter. The article was comparing him to Lopez and he was wayy better than Lopez on the perimeter. Not sure how he compares to other bigs but It seems he can still defend the perimeter really well.

knicks had great rim protection last year, but Lopez was not able to really step out and guard on switches, he's kind of slow and robotic when it comes to anything but rim protection.

D-Leethal
09-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Pau will probably get benched vs GSW's small ball lineups just like Duncan did.

Vee-Rex
09-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Just wanted to add in that I think Pau Gasol is a terrible matchup vs. the Warriors. Otherwise, I think he might have a pretty good year under Pop.

JLynn943
09-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Minnesota is an interesting match-up with them.

kdspurman
09-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Pau will probably get benched vs GSW's small ball lineups just like Duncan did.

Yup. He'll see less minutes if they go small

mavwar53
09-02-2016, 11:27 AM
1 team, Bucks, Giannis at PG and so much length.

Bucks could make major steps forward this season. Biggest problem for them is outside shooting. If Thon Maker can impact this team they could have a 5-8 spot in the playoffs.

Hawkeye15
09-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Twolves. 8 seed over 1 seed. We comin

boom

I actually think the Wolves are going to matchup well with the Warriors going forward. Rubio does about as well guarding Curry as it gets, and the Warriors will have issues trying to keep Towns and our bigger front line from hurting them. Obviously, we have to control their shooters, and not turn it over. But the Wolves do a good job of forcing turnovers out top, and have played GS very well the last year.

FlashBolt
09-02-2016, 12:16 PM
Barkley's view on Warriors are usually spot on. Too many teams try to adjust their lineup to match the Warriors instead of using their own favorable lineups to make the Warriors counter them. I'm not sure benching Pau would be a good idea. We'll see how healthy he is during the season but they should take advantage of that size.

Tony_Starks
09-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Spurs. OKC.

hugepatsfan
09-02-2016, 01:30 PM
No one. It's too good to render "moot". Sure teams can give it matchup problems but Golden State will return the favor and then some.

mrblisterdundee
09-02-2016, 02:00 PM
1. Utah Jazz: They're simply one of the best young defensive teams in the NBA, with better-than-average defenders at every position. George Hill is one of the best options for guarding Stephen Curry. Joe Johnson is a decent option to put on Klay Thompson. Gordon Hayward can effectively guard Thompson or Kevin Durant. Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert are in competition with Atlanta to be the best defensive front court in the NBA.
2. Los Angeles Clippers: Chris Paul can stick Curry like rice. J.J. Redick is a great team defender. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Wesley Johnson can be thrown at whoever's playing small forward. Obviously DeAndre Jordan can guard any center. Theoretically, Blake Griffin has the tools to be a strong defender. Don't underestimate the impact of Marreese Speights backing up Jordan and Griffin.
3. Orlando Magic: The team is long and filled with mobile big men. Elfrid Payton's defense has left much to be desired, but I expect he'll be really good on that end, and possibly one of the best guys in the NBA to put on Curry. Aaron Gordon can guard either Durant or Green. Serge Ibaka and Bismack Biyombo can cause serious issues for the Warriors whether they go big or small. I can't wait to see Ibaka guarding Kevin Durant.

Honorable Mention: Portland Trailblazers: Portland's back court is one of the weakest in the league defensively. But Allen Crabbe, Evan Turner, Al-Farouq Aminu and Ed Davis are all well-suited to guard the lineup of death. Stick Crabbe and Turner on Curry and Thompson. Keep Aminu on Durant and Davis on Green. Hide Damian Lillard on Iguodala and hope he doesn't heat up.

5ass
09-02-2016, 03:51 PM
1. Utah Jazz: They're simply one of the best young defensive teams in the NBA, with better-than-average defenders at every position. George Hill is one of the best options for guarding Stephen Curry. Joe Johnson is a decent option to put on Klay Thompson. Gordon Hayward can effectively guard Thompson or Kevin Durant. Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert are in competition with Atlanta to be the best defensive front court in the NBA.
2. Los Angeles Clippers: Chris Paul can stick Curry like rice. J.J. Redick is a great team defender. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Wesley Johnson can be thrown at whoever's playing small forward. Obviously DeAndre Jordan can guard any center. Theoretically, Blake Griffin has the tools to be a strong defender. Don't underestimate the impact of Marreese Speights backing up Jordan and Griffin.
3. Orlando Magic: The team is long and filled with mobile big men. Elfrid Payton's defense has left much to be desired, but I expect he'll be really good on that end, and possibly one of the best guys in the NBA to put on Curry. Aaron Gordon can guard either Durant or Green. Serge Ibaka and Bismack Biyombo can cause serious issues for the Warriors whether they go big or small. I can't wait to see Ibaka guarding Kevin Durant.

Honorable Mention: Portland Trailblazers: Portland's back court is one of the weakest in the league defensively. But Allen Crabbe, Evan Turner, Al-Farouq Aminu and Ed Davis are all well-suited to guard the lineup of death. Stick Crabbe and Turner on Curry and Thompson. Keep Aminu on Durant and Davis on Green. Hide Damian Lillard on Iguodala and hope he doesn't heat up.

I think Gordon would guard Durant, but I agree the Magic have a lot versatility to match up with GS. They can match up well with pretty much any team in the league on paper IMO. They can either go superbig with Gordon-Ibaka-biyombo or they can go small with Mario-Gordon-Ibaka. Gordon-Ibaka-Biyombo is as mobile as any front court in the league, they're able to switch on defense like no other team in the league so that will be extremely useful trying to gurd the Warriors. They might also try using Vucevic-Ibaka-Gordon. I doubt Green can stop Vucevic, and I doubt the Warriors would be able to rebound well. So I think Vogel has a lot options there, we'll just have to wait to see which one, if any, of them will actually work. If I had to guess, I think Vogel would go with the Gordon-Ibaka-Biyombo front court first.

Chronz
09-02-2016, 04:02 PM
I'm gonna say the MN Timberwolves. They played them tight when they played them and even beat them late in the season. They can match that small ball lineup with a combination of Dunn, Rubio, Lavine, Wiggins, Shabazz(who unmercifully destroyed them when they played and was the best player on the court that game) and KAT. They won't beat them up, but they have the small ballers and athletic ability to match.

But thats just trying to play them at their game, isn't it? I dont think anyone has a better smallball team, is Shabazz a good enough post player to abuse KD? Or is Towns going to abuse them down low?

no but he'll not have to guard perimeter guys as much with KP next to him instead of Pau

Dray will be on the perimeter but KP would prolly beast on KD so I see it.

kdspurman
09-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Spurs. OKC.

Ah, yea OKC too. I can't wait for that game

Chronz
09-02-2016, 04:11 PM
I'll still say the Spurs even though you said not to mention em'. ;)

Pop won't be afraid to bench him and/or limit him against GS if he is ineffective. Playing Kawhi at the 4 with LMA i'm sure will be something that's tinkered with. Who knows maybe David Lee can be effective in limited minutes at the 4. :hide: That might be more of a fat chance lol

It was said LMA wasn't strong defensively, and he definitely showed he is capable in SA. Maybe Pau can be a similar story when it's all said and done.

They just need to bully them on offense and keep the game at a slower pace/limit the turnovers.

Its not that you dont have a small ball option, its that you dont have a lineup to punish them when they downsize that can still keep up on the perimeter. Like what do you expect your best lineup to be this year? If it includes Pau you're already at a deficit, thats just trying to play GS at their own game and yeah LMA/Kawhi are great counters but who else plays with them? Jonathon Simmons and DG with TP/Patty? Thats just not as talented but it might be enough to play them tight. Pau needs to keep pace with DG to allow LMA to feast on the smaller KD for you guys to win IMO.

mngopher35
09-02-2016, 04:26 PM
boom

I actually think the Wolves are going to matchup well with the Warriors going forward. Rubio does about as well guarding Curry as it gets, and the Warriors will have issues trying to keep Towns and our bigger front line from hurting them. Obviously, we have to control their shooters, and not turn it over. But the Wolves do a good job of forcing turnovers out top, and have played GS very well the last year.

Ya, I was half joking in that response but think we will be able to match up better than most. Towns needs to develop a little more but I think he could give Green some trouble down the road (at least more than most) while being fine on the perimeter defensively. Dieng is a semi option as well since he too can guard perimeter players although it is more if he is on/off on that night instead of a stable piece but his size could help do damage. If not we have Shabazz (second game when we won in OT he was good and in over Dieng) and now even Dunn to throw in the mix if we match small with small. Rubio, Dunn, Lavine, Wiggins, Shabazz, Dieng, Towns are all very capable and give us multiple options to try throughout a game in small ball (either going size or matching the athleticism).

Now these are two meetings later in the year where GS wasn't quite at the same level it seemed but still I think it gave a glimpse of how we can match up with small ball/death lineup well (first meeting had KG and Prince starting lol).

Hawkeye15
09-02-2016, 04:43 PM
But thats just trying to play them at their game, isn't it? I dont think anyone has a better smallball team, is Shabazz a good enough post player to abuse KD? Or is Towns going to abuse them down low?

Shabazz did abuse them in the post last year, late season. We play them well for some reason. Rubio does about as good as you can on Curry, and Towns was a matchup problem for them. So was Wiggins, they couldn't contain him off the dribble.

The Wolves play well against the Warriors for some reason. Hell, Towns even stayed with Curry on the perimeter during switches pretty well, and forced him into long misses.

Hawkeye15
09-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Ya, I was half joking in that response but think we will be able to match up better than most. Towns needs to develop a little more but I think he could give Green some trouble down the road (at least more than most) while being fine on the perimeter defensively. Dieng is a semi option as well since he too can guard perimeter players although it is more if he is on/off on that night instead of a stable piece but his size could help do damage. If not we have Shabazz (second game when we won in OT he was good and in over Dieng) and now even Dunn to throw in the mix if we match small with small. Rubio, Dunn, Lavine, Wiggins, Shabazz, Dieng, Towns are all very capable and give us multiple options to try throughout a game in small ball (either going size or matching the athleticism).

Now these are two meetings later in the year where GS wasn't quite at the same level it seemed but still I think it gave a glimpse of how we can match up with small ball/death lineup well (first meeting had KG and Prince starting lol).

Green is an awesome team defender, but going forward, if they put him on Towns with no help, he is screwed.

mngopher35
09-02-2016, 04:54 PM
Green is an awesome team defender, but going forward, if they put him on Towns with no help, he is screwed.

Ya I don't know if I can project that quite yet but I think sometime soon that will be a win for us and Towns won't hurt us on the other end like many bigs who can take advantage with their size

Chronz
09-02-2016, 04:59 PM

You really think so? Why? Green can defend everyone respectably, its what unlocks their defense. Marc Gasol couldn't really do **** to him and Blake has a sorta tough time 1v1 against him.

KingJudah
09-02-2016, 05:01 PM
The 76ers have the size skill athleticism to whip the warriors. Guarantee we beat them no matter how many times we play them.

Hawkeye15
09-02-2016, 05:05 PM
You really think so? Why? Green can defend everyone respectably, its what unlocks their defense. Marc Gasol couldn't really do **** to him and Blake has a sorta tough time 1v1 against him.

Towns was 2nd behind only KD on long 2's last year. He shot 34% from three as a rookie. He can handle the ball. Top 3 in efficiency in the post. A lot taller than Blake or Green. He will be a matchup problem for most the league, if not all.

In all honesty, I think Towns could be the best offensive center by this year. If not, it's coming soon enough. Defensively is where the growth needs to come.

Towns is eventually just going to be a nightmare to guard, because he will be a good three point shooter, elite long 2 shooter, and elite post scorer. He also doesn't miss free throws.

5ass
09-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Ah, yea OKC too. I can't wait for that game

OKC? What line up do you think would work well? Maybe Roberson and Adams in the front court. Oladipo and westy in the backcourt, but who plays SF? Maybe if they have Ilyasova guard Iggy it could work?

Vee-Rex
09-02-2016, 05:48 PM
I love how this thread has turned into "my homer team matches up well with the Warriors"

HOLD_THIS_L
09-02-2016, 08:54 PM
The 76ers have the size skill athleticism to whip the warriors. Guarantee we beat them no matter how many times we play them.
Competing with lol please?

IKnowHoops
09-02-2016, 10:36 PM

Dray will be on the perimeter but KP would prolly beast on KD so I see it.

a lot of Wolves fans don't like Baz. I do. He's a physical player who is good down there. I have no clue what hell be able to do against Durant. I know nobody last year could stop him last year when they played. If I remember correctly, he shot at like 80% from the field that game.

IKnowHoops
09-02-2016, 10:44 PM

I gotta agree.

JordansBulls
09-02-2016, 10:59 PM
I think Chicago would render the Warriors death lineup useless because we have the guys who can lock up there best players.

Rondo on Curry
Wade on Klay
Jimmy on Durant
Taj on Draymond

IKnowHoops
09-02-2016, 11:07 PM
I think Chicago would render the Warriors death lineup useless because we have the guys who can lock up there best players.

Rondo on Curry
Wade on Klay
Jimmy on Durant
Taj on Draymond

You're using the phrase "lock up" way to loosely lately.

ChitownbullsBG7
09-03-2016, 02:56 AM
If we are talking strictly defense, I'll take the Bucks.

MCW, Curry
Middleton, Klay
Giannis, KD
Parker, Green

Maker/Henson, ZaZa

Or if small

Delly, Curry
MCW, Iggy

Kyben36
09-03-2016, 03:29 AM

Rondo on Curry
Wade on Klay
Jimmy on Durant
Taj on Draymond

No. Just no. Only slightly close one is Jimmy on durrant. Rondo hasn't played D In years and we can't make assumptions. Wade hasn't played good D since LeBron left. Also. He is way less athletic than he used to be and Klaus si,ze is a mismatch

Also taj has only been an average defense the past two years.

HOLD_THIS_L
09-03-2016, 06:58 AM
Knick's anyone? May hang in there offensively?

Clint Olbrock
09-03-2016, 10:03 AM
If we are talking strictly defense, I'll take the Bucks.

MCW, Curry
Middleton, Klay
Giannis, KD
Parker, Green

Maker/Henson, ZaZa

Or if small

Delly, Curry
MCW, Iggy
Good answer. A lot of good matchups in the Bucks favor.

Bostonjorge
09-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Only hope for everyone is IF Durant at the 4 is a weakness and not a game changer like when Melo and James moved to the 4.

nycericanguy
09-03-2016, 01:16 PM
No. Just no. Only slightly close one is Jimmy on durrant. Rondo hasn't played D In years and we can't make assumptions. Wade hasn't played good D since LeBron left. Also. He is way less athletic than he used to be and Klaus si,ze is a mismatch

Also taj has only been an average defense the past two years.

agreed, LOL at Rondo & Wade going to lock up Curry & Klay.

Jimmy against Durant is the only one where mayyybe Jimmy can hold Durant in check a bit, but he certainly didnt last year. Durant dropped over 30 a game against CHI on 50%.

ewing
09-04-2016, 10:29 AM
the sixers got this

IKnowHoops
09-05-2016, 12:31 PM
the sixers got this

I wonder if the sixers can play the Death-Giant lineup?

PG Simmons
SG Noel
SF Saric
PF Okafor
C Embid

Done and done

Everyone crashes the boards every shot. Yeah they will give up some fast break points, but maybe they can offset that by leading the league in second and 3rd chance points. Do the opposite of Goldenstate. Instead of jacking up 3's at a high percentage, just score every single time down (eventually) inside by getting all the offensive rebounds. Would be funny if they could turn the game upside down in that way, similarly to how GS changed the game from outside the ark.

Clint Olbrock
09-05-2016, 12:43 PM
Only hope for everyone is IF Durant at the 4 is a weakness and not a game changer like when Melo and James moved to the 4.

KD is not the same build as those guys at all. KD also allows himself to be guarded by CP3 and smaller guys in general because he has no post game and no weight to throw around.

tp13baby
09-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Only speaking in the West, although no one has the talent to matchup.

Utah has the defense and a slow it down pace.
OKC has the size to make it tough.
Denver has mobile bigs and maybe the most versatility out of all the other teams.

Chronz
09-06-2016, 02:01 PM
The Ringer came out with their own variation of this by showing us the next possible death lineups that could take advantage of where the league is trending but they go on to include an anti-dubs lineup that the Magic could include. Either way, they mention a couple of the teams we did and thought it would be worth the bump.

https://theringer.com/the-nbas-new-lineups-of-death-7e52303954a1#.n3rqc56wm

5ass
09-06-2016, 03:29 PM
The Ringer came out with their own variation of this by showing us the next possible death lineups that could take advantage of where the league is trending but they go on to include an anti-dubs lineup that the Magic could include. Either way, they mention a couple of the teams we did and thought it would be worth the bump.

https://theringer.com/the-nbas-new-lineups-of-death-7e52303954a1#.n3rqc56wm
I was actually going to post that Magic line up here. Hezonja is going to be a point forward IMO. Skiles tried him at PG at times last season. That's not saying much because our back up was Napier, but the fact that Skiles even gave him that opportunity means something. He has great court vision and kind of reminded me of Hedo at times using his height to see over defenders and making sharp passes. Fournier is a fine playmaker. Gordon has some play making potential. That's a lot of size, strength and athleticism for GS to deal with. Mario is close to 6'9. Fournier 6'7. Gordon 6'9. Ibaka and Biyombo have huge wingspans. All run the floor and aren't afraid of contact. I'd have Gordon guard Curry, and do a lot switching. That could be fun to watch. The Magic are built to combat small ball. The Warriors are built to dominate with the small ball. The talent difference is huge though. Right now, aside from Iggy, all 4 of the other Warriors players are better than any of the Magic's players LOL.

I like the Celtics line up, especially if Horford can post up Green. I love the defensive potential. Other than that though, you're not really taking advantage of GS's lack of size. Can Horford even beat Green on the boards?

I'm surprised there's no Milwaukee. I remember the Bucks beat GS last year? What line ups did they use against the death line up? I don't remember.

I also think the Hawks could match up well. Dwight-Millsap could be too much for GS' front court. Schroder, Korver and Bazemore are solid.

I think that Jazz line up sucks. What am I missing here? They're taking out three of their best players in Favors, Hill and Gobert. They'd have a huge size advantage with them on the floor. Instead they're trying to go small to match up with GS and the talent level is nowhere near theirs. Same for the Pistons.

The Wolves line up doesn't include Rubio, which is weird because he's one of their best players and a good defender to have on Curry. Green would have to try to deal with Towns' size advantage. You definitely want Wiggins in the line up. Lavine and Rush too for their shooting.

mrblisterdundee
09-06-2016, 05:04 PM
I think that Jazz line up sucks. What am I missing here? They're taking out three of their best players in Favors, Hill and Gobert. They'd have a huge size advantage with them on the floor. Instead they're trying to go small to match up with GS and the talent level is nowhere near theirs. Same for the Pistons.

I think the Jazz's best approximation of the Lineup of Death would include George Hill (unless/until Dante Exum comes on), Rodney Hood, Gordon Hayward, Trey Lyles and Derrick Favors or Rudy Gobert. On paper, that looks like one of the best matchups against Golden State possible. All those guys can defend well. All but Favors or Gobert can shoot. They can even go smaller with Alec Burks, or if Exum gets good, and have Lyles doing his best impression of Mehmet Okur.

jayjay33
09-07-2016, 02:13 AM
Nobody....to many people here trying to pretend Barnes and kd are even remotely similar.

The only way to beat that line up is to catch them when they are cold and you are hot. Period, you need them to miss open shots to have a chance. Which is why Barnes was the anchor that sunk them last year. And at the same time you need to hit your open shots. It will happen from time to time over the course of a season. But it will just be random losses to whoever. No one is matching that line up.

The pick and roll between steph and kd alone is enough to cause nightmares. It could literally be the greatest in history.

jayjay33
09-07-2016, 02:24 AM
You got rondo and wade on the court at the same time against that line up. You're going to have a much tougher time scoring on them than they will on you.

Kyben36
09-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Nobody....to many people here trying to pretend Barnes and kd are even remotely similar.

The only way to beat that line up is to catch them when they are cold and you are hot. Period, you need them to miss open shots to have a chance. Which is why Barnes was the anchor that sunk them last year. And at the same time you need to hit your open shots. It will happen from time to time over the course of a season. But it will just be random losses to whoever. No one is matching that line up.

The pick and roll between steph and kd alone is enough to cause nightmares. It could literally be the greatest in history.

Thats kinda what my original post was, if they shoot themselves out of the game, taking bad shots, not running offense, and not making shots. then they are a beatable team ( a la team usa with klay and Durant who were to me shot jackers.

Clint Olbrock
09-07-2016, 11:23 AM

...Put the kool-aid down and slowly step away...

JAZZNC
09-07-2016, 11:35 AM
I could be completely wrong here, but I feel like your team just has to play to their strengths, not necessarily go small to match GS. Like Utah, they should just go big and yes it creates mismatches but it'll be the same for both sides. I kinda feel like it is just the complete lack of quality big men in the NBA that allows GS small lineup to be so successful. I think you need to beat the **** out of them on the glass and down low when they go small. But like I said, few if any teams have a big man tandem that can make them pay when they play small ball.

kdspurman
09-07-2016, 11:52 AM
I could be completely wrong here, but I feel like your team just has to play to their strengths, not necessarily go small to match GS. Like Utah, they should just go big and yes it creates mismatches but it'll be the same for both sides. I kinda feel like it is just the complete lack of quality big men in the NBA that allows GS small lineup to be so successful. I think you need to beat the **** out of them on the glass and down low when they go small. But like I said, few if any yes have a big man tandem that can make HE pay when they play small ball.

Yea, you should try to make them adjust to your strengths if at all possible. Where it hurts is defending cause obviously bigs will struggle to keep up with them with all their movement. But on the other end, and on the boards, if you don't make them pay, you won't be successful.

OKC had Adams/Kanter & Ibaka playing and did a good job of being physical and controlling the boards. Have to be able to give them different looks and use any advantage (s) you have.

Giannis94
09-07-2016, 12:38 PM
giannis can cover am all. him middleton, maker. Boom. Shutdown. lockdown. team aint scoring 30 on them combined

Scoots
09-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Having seen almost all of the Warriors games:

1. If their shooting is on there is no solution.

2. If they are shooting like mortals, then you need to have a great rebounding game on both ends. The Warriors will shoot themselves out of the game if you are getting every miss.

3. You and need fairly efficient scoring from someone. It doesn't really matter who, but one player needs to be having a near unstoppable game.

4. You need to pressure the Warriors into getting sloppy and rushing.

5. You need to not turn the ball over.

6. You need to play your game not the Warriors game.

7. You need to get Warriors starters in foul trouble early.

There are a lot of ways to beat the Warriors ... as long as they are not having a "hot" game, and they now have 3 guys who can regularly spend a whole game deep in the zone.

Giannis94
09-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Having seen almost all of the Warriors games:

1. If their shooting is on there is no solution.

2. If they are shooting like mortals, then you need to have a great rebounding game on both ends. The Warriors will shoot themselves out of the game if you are getting every miss.

3. You and need fairly efficient scoring from someone. It doesn't really matter who, but one player needs to be having a near unstoppable game.

4. You need to pressure the Warriors into getting sloppy and rushing.

5. You need to not turn the ball over.

6. You need to play your game not the Warriors game.

7. You need to get Warriors starters in foul trouble early.

There are a lot of ways to beat the Warriors ... as long as they are not having a "hot" game, and they now have 3 guys who can regularly spend a whole game deep in the zone.

giannis can do all of that

Hawkeye15
09-07-2016, 01:42 PM
giannis can do all of that

and deliver a baby at the same time

hugepatsfan
09-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Using the PSD rankings...

GS will have 4 out of the top 5 players on the court for every matchup except for vs. LAC when they will have 4 out of the top 6. There's no matchup out there that's enough overcome the talent gap that their Big 4 create. Whether ZaZa or Iggy is out there with them won't really matter.

Bostonjorge
09-07-2016, 10:25 PM
KD is not the same build as those guys at all. KD also allows himself to be guarded by CP3 and smaller guys in general because he has no post game and no weight to throw around.

KD showed some toughness during the playoffs. He has the height to contest shot and rebound. This year is important to his legacy since it will be the number 1 topic all year so he might be in playoff basketball mode all year.

The only 4's I think who can really punish Durant are Griffen, Okafor and Aldridge. Every other team has a shooting big that Durant can guard. Now no 4 can guard Durant. I don't even think any player can guard Durant 1 on 1 with ultimate floor spacers.

Except wesrbrook of course.

Clint Olbrock
09-08-2016, 12:50 AM
KD showed some toughness during the playoffs. He has the height to contest shot and rebound. This year is important to his legacy since it will be the number 1 topic all year so he might be in playoff basketball mode all year.

The only 4's I think who can really punish Durant are Griffen, Okafor and Aldridge. Every other team has a shooting big that Durant can guard. Now no 4 can guard Durant. I don't even think any player can guard Durant 1 on 1 with ultimate floor spacers.

Except wesrbrook of course.

LBJ even if he is about to be 32 can guard KD.

Love has a decent post game, he could put work in on KD down on the block.

KD can be quicker than all 4's but Zbo, Dirk, Bosh, KP, Favors, Davis and Sullinger could all put in work on KD down low. Maybe Ibaka but wouldn't count on it.

Millisap, Thad, Faried, Harris, Morris, J Parker and Randle are pretty athletic.

KD being 6'11" mayb 7 foot, 220-240 pounds does not bode well for him trying to bang down low on either end.

mrblisterdundee
09-10-2016, 02:05 AM
giannis can cover am all. him middleton, maker. Boom. Shutdown. lockdown. team aint scoring 30 on them combined

Let's wait and see on Maker, but Giannis and Middleton would be great on Curry and Durant. The jury's still out on Jabari, too. If only Sanders had worked out ...

jason
09-10-2016, 09:52 PM
No one. It's too good to render "moot". Sure teams can give it matchup problems but Golden State will return the favor and then some.
This

HandsOnTheWheel
09-11-2016, 01:57 AM
Lol the Knicks? Smh.

Federal Reserve
09-11-2016, 02:16 AM
The Knicks match up well against the Warriors, assuming that both teams are healthy. Rose can easily use his speed to outscore Curry. Thompson will score his points, but Lee will hit 3+ three-pointers. Melo will neutralize Durant. The back court of the Warriors is no match for Porzingis and Noah. I am not saying the Knicks will win, but the Warriors will definitely struggle mightily trying to exploit any weak points.