PDA

View Full Version : 25th Best Player in the NBA

Shammyguy3
09-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Remember, this is based on RIGHT NOW, not necessarily who was the best this past season, or who will be the best. It's a tricky debate, how much do you factor in the playoffs? Injuries? Team-fit? Etc. Here's what we have so far:

1. Lebron James
2. Stephen Curry
3. Kevin Durant
4. Russell Westbrook
5. Kawhi Leonard
6. Chris Paul
7. Anthony Davis
8. Paul George
9. James Harden
10. Draymond Green
11. DeMarcus Cousins
12. Blake Griffin
13. Jimmy Butler
14. Klay Thompson
15. Damian Lillard
16. LaMarcus Aldridge
17. Kyrie Irving
18. Carmelo Anthony
19. Kyle Lowry
20. John Wall
21. Karl-Anthony Towns
22. Paul Millsap
23. Marc Gasol
24. Al Horford
25. ??

6man
09-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Wade again, only guy left that can take over a playoff series.

smith&wesson
09-01-2016, 05:26 PM
I went with Demar Derozan - 24 4 & 4... regular season gotta count for something.

smith&wesson
09-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Wade again, only guy left that can take over a playoff series.

not really, he didn't take over in round two vs the raps and he easily could have. Dragic looked more unstoppable in that series than Wade did to be honest.

If were looking at body of work, I agree wade should be way higher on the list if anything. But although he is still a good player, I have hard time taking him over some other guys in their prime today.

Overall I have Wade as a top 3-4 shooting guard of all time, so this is no knock on Wade. Hes just not flash any more.

6man
09-01-2016, 05:52 PM
not really, he didn't take over in round two vs the raps and he easily could have. Dragic looked more unstoppable in that series than Wade did to be honest.

If were looking at body of work, I agree wade should be way higher on the list if anything. But although he is still a good player, I have hard time taking him over some other guys in their prime today.

Overall I have Wade as a top 3-4 shooting guard of all time, so this is no knock on Wade. Hes just not flash any more.

Yes hes not flash but that doesn't mean he isn't good anymore. I've seen multiple people say this now but how many people are on prime Wades level in the league right now, not many at all?

As for the series, Wade was definitely their best player and took over multiple times in that series and led them to a win. Dragic was very inconsistent as were the rest of his teammates. It came to the point where we focused our entire defense on Wade and guys still couldn't hit a shot. I'm glad we won but Wade that series was amazing and easily their best player/closer.

DanG
09-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Since when did 15/7/3 centers become so popular?

Horford put up 13/7/3 on 46% in the playoffs. How in the world is that top 25?

Pau Gasol even at his age is a much better rebounder, low-post scorer, passer plus he can shoot just as well as Horford.

DeRozan although he struggled in the playoffs had a much better regular season plus he actually balled out against the Cavs.

I would almost take all the players left on the poll over Horford. He isn't GREAT at anything to be honest.

What do you guys actually take into consideration the most when ranking players? Because Horford had an average regular season, weak playoffs. Or if we had to predict how good the players will be this season then there is no reason to believe Horford will have a better season than Giannis.

HandsOnTheWheel
09-02-2016, 01:18 PM

Pau Gasol even at his age is a much better rebounder, low-post scorer, passer plus he can shoot just as well as Horford.

DeRozan although he struggled in the playoffs had a much better regular season plus he actually balled out against the Cavs.

I would almost take all the players left on the poll over Horford. He isn't GREAT at anything to be honest.

What do you guys actually take into consideration the most when ranking players? Because Horford had an average regular season, weak playoffs. Or if we had to predict how good the players will be this season then there is no reason to believe Horford will have a better season than Giannis.

Agreed.

archdevil84
09-02-2016, 02:19 PM

what series did you watch?

Shammyguy3
09-02-2016, 02:22 PM

Pau Gasol didn't really utilize his low post scoring much last year, and he isn't that efficient. He's a statue that gets rebounds he's not necessarily good at boxing out (his rebounding actually frustrates many Chicago fans, his rates are a bit deceptive); also the defense Horford provides is far superior making him a much better option

FlashBolt
09-02-2016, 02:50 PM
I'd rather have Horford but he's indeed way overrated. I trust Pau more than Horford.

nycericanguy
09-02-2016, 02:58 PM

i agree i never got all the huge Horford love.

I think people maybe projected him to be better and get better, but he never really took that next step like say, LMA did. Horford is a really solid player, but PSD overrates the crap outta him.

I went Wade here RIGHT NOW. Out of respect, but I suspect he will really fall down the list next year.

nycericanguy
09-02-2016, 02:59 PM
IF we're talking RIGHT NOW, there's about 5-10 guys left I'd take over Horford as a better player right now.

crazy Horford played over 32mpg last year and only attempted 1.6 free throws per game, not a very good rebounder either.

just a solid defender, solid scorer and good passer. but nothing really at an elite or star level.

FlashBolt
09-02-2016, 03:07 PM
IF we're talking RIGHT NOW, there's about 5-10 guys left I'd take over Horford as a better player right now.

crazy Horford played over 32mpg last year and only attempted 1.6 free throws per game, not a very good rebounder either.

just a solid defender, solid scorer and good passer. but nothing really at an elite or star level.

And averaged 3.5 RPG on 33 minutes against the Cavs in the playoffs. That's bad.

mngopher35
09-02-2016, 03:36 PM
I really don't get the Horford choice either but then again I am voting for someone no one else chooses lol. Klove is a better scorer, passer, and rebounder when he is not mostly used to open space for his teammates on offense (which makes sense to do on Cavs with Kyrie/Lebron) and while not great defensively he is at least average. Statistically they were pretty close this year despite Klove being in arguably the worst position to shine individually for his talent due to his role.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&hint=Kevin+Love&player_id1_select=Kevin+Love&player_id1=loveke01&y1=2014&hint=Al+Horford&player_id2_select=Al+Horford&player_id2=horfoal01&y2=2016

Here is a comparison of their stats when Love was that main option type on MN compared to Horford last year. Absolutely crushes him due to being a far superior offensive player. I get people are really low on Love but to pick Horford here doesn't make sense to me.

Chronz
09-02-2016, 03:56 PM

He had a fairly poor showing in the playoffs but hes a great defender. Horford would give the Spurs a chance whereas Pau comes with alot of question marks. Pau Gasol is a pretty bad defender at this point and his rebounding numbers are definitely in question. Im curious to see if he helps the Spurs with his rebounding or if it will be like last year where the team rebounds better without him simply because they are a better defensive team.

Giannis prolly out does him soon but I dont think we're suppose to project that way. Id be fine with either of those guys but Horford's value comes in his shooting+defense to go with his All-Star caliber production.

I dont think Pau is at his level but we'll see what San Antonio does for him.

5ass
09-02-2016, 03:59 PM
I agree Horford is too high. I' think he's much closer to 30-35th in the league. I would easily take Wade over Horford for a play off series, and this is how I've been voting so far.

MTL_123
09-02-2016, 04:05 PM
huh lol wasnt their a tie for Gasol and Wade for the 23rd spot but Horford is now 24th ??? Shouldnt Wade be placed number 24??

:P

mavwar53
09-02-2016, 04:23 PM
My next 4 in order

Giannis
Hayward
Wade
DJ

6man
09-02-2016, 05:33 PM
So everyone knows Horford is overrated but he was voted ahead of Wade? There are 3 players better than Horford at his position still on the list lol.

Chronz
09-03-2016, 01:58 AM
I should have voted Kevin Love ahead of Milsap+Horford the more that I think about it. Going with him from here on out

JAZZNC
09-03-2016, 01:34 PM
Gordon Hayward

Dade County
09-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Whiteside next