PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best drafting current GM?

Scoots
08-31-2016, 03:08 PM
Bob Myers gets credit for assembling a title winning team, but the only "star" he's picked was Draymond Green. Then again he traded away all of their picks for 3 years to build the team.

RC Buford's best draft picks since Tony Parker 15 years ago are George Hill, Goran Dragic, and Leandro Barbosa ... but none of them did much for the Spurs.

Those two have been hamstrung by circumstances like drafting at the bottom of the draft and traded picks or needing to stash players to continue winning ... but nevertheless you can't give them particularly good draft grades for anything this decade.

Sam Presti who learned from Buford has had more/better picks to work with and they have paid off. In one 4 year period Presti picked up KD, Carl Landry, Glen Davis, Westbrook, Ibaka, Harden, Eric Bledsoe.

So, who do you think is the best CURRENT GM in maximizing the draft to build a team?

kdspurman
08-31-2016, 03:41 PM
Bob Myers gets credit for assembling a title winning team, but the only "star" he's picked was Draymond Green. Then again he traded away all of their picks for 3 years to build the team.

RC Buford's best draft picks since Tony Parker 15 years ago are George Hill, Goran Dragic, and Leandro Barbosa ... but none of them did much for the Spurs.

Those two have been hamstrung by circumstances like drafting at the bottom of the draft and traded picks or needing to stash players to continue winning ... but nevertheless you can't give them particularly good draft grades for anything this decade.

Sam Presti who learned from Buford has had more/better picks to work with and they have paid off. In one 4 year period Presti picked up KD, Carl Landry, Glen Davis, Westbrook, Ibaka, Harden, Eric Bledsoe.

So, who do you think is the best CURRENT GM in maximizing the draft to build a team?

How about Kawhi? They scouted him heavily, definitely targeted him. So they didn't "technically" draft him, but they kinda sorta did.

It's tougher on the Spurs vs you bringing up OKC, the Spurs haven't had a lottery pick since Duncan was drafted, and they're always near the bottom in terms of picks. (Manu drafted 57th... TP 28th as you said) But they've also drafted guys like Splitter, Udrih, Blair, Corey Joseph, Mahimni, etc... Serviceable guys who provided good results during their time with the Spurs and some even went elsewhere and had some success. Kyle Anderson is another guy drafted late who could be a bit of a steal.

If you're looking at names drafted, then it's hard to say Buford is the best.. But considering where SA usually falls in terms of getting draft picks? I'd still say RC, just in terms of their scouting and ability to tap into the overseas talent as well

Scoots
08-31-2016, 04:21 PM
How about Kawhi? They scouted him heavily, definitely targeted him. So they didn't "technically" draft him, but they kinda sorta did.

It's tougher on the Spurs vs you bringing up OKC, the Spurs haven't had a lottery pick since Duncan was drafted, and they're always near the bottom in terms of picks. (Manu drafted 57th... TP 28th as you said) But they've also drafted guys like Splitter, Udrih, Blair, Corey Joseph, Mahimni, etc... Serviceable guys who provided good results during their time with the Spurs and some even went elsewhere and had some success. Kyle Anderson is another guy drafted late who could be a bit of a steal.

If you're looking at names drafted, then it's hard to say Buford is the best.. But considering where SA usually falls in terms of getting draft picks? I'd still say RC, just in terms of their scouting and ability to tap into the overseas talent as well

I did say that RC was hamstrung by circumstance. And I was trying to limit it to JUST draft picks because it's a more black and white thing than team building as a whole.

If you judged it by average position change in re-drafts RC would be fairly high on the list no doubt. And maybe that's the argument we should go with which would mean we'd need to find some consistent place to get re-drafts we can agree on. Maybe we can also add in draft day trades of picks, but that adds complexity too.

mrblisterdundee
08-31-2016, 04:36 PM

Draft-day trades should count, and RC Buford should get credit for nabbing Kawhi Leonard. Trading George Hill for Leonard was one of the biggest steals in the last decade. Of course, Buford should also take credit for drafting Goran Dragic 45th then trading him for Malik Hairston. George Hill was a decent pick, too, along with Tony Parker.
Sam Presti's good, but he was partially helped by how crappy Seattle was when it drafted Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, James Harden and Serge Ibaka.
Drafting Durant didn't involve any talent as a general manager. That was just common sense. That would be like giving Cleveland's general manager credit for drafting LeBron James and Kyrie Irving.
Passing on Kevin Love for Westbrook was pretty impressive. Presti got the second-best player in the 2009 draft with the third pick. Picking Serge Ibaka at 24th was pretty good, as was Steven Adams at 12th (even if he passed on Giannis Antetokounmpo) and Reggie Jackson at 24th (even if he passed on Jimmy Butler).
I guess you could argue Presti's the best. Chicago's GM has done a decent job, too. It's not his fault they get injured.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2016, 04:46 PM
two words:

David Kahn

kdspurman
08-31-2016, 04:52 PM
two words:

David Kahn

Oh yes, this :laugh2:

kdspurman
08-31-2016, 04:55 PM
I did say that RC was hamstrung by circumstance. And I was trying to limit it to JUST draft picks because it's a more black and white thing than team building as a whole.

If you judged it by average position change in re-drafts RC would be fairly high on the list no doubt. And maybe that's the argument we should go with which would mean we'd need to find some consistent place to get re-drafts we can agree on. Maybe we can also add in draft day trades of picks, but that adds complexity too.

Right, but then you said you can't give them good draft grades this decade, obv I'm referring more to RC here but I don't see how you couldn't give good grades for some of the things they've gotten so late in the draft.

That list I put + Kawhi I think is a testament to how well they scout players..

Now it seems you're looking at GM's who frequently get higher picks thus bigger names, due to poorer seasons, so there would need to be some context there of course

IndyRealist
08-31-2016, 05:43 PM
two words:

David Kahn

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/71434997.jpg

IKnowHoops
08-31-2016, 06:09 PM
Presti and Buford, I'd probably trust Buford a hair more.

Scoots
08-31-2016, 06:39 PM
Right, but then you said you can't give them good draft grades this decade, obv I'm referring more to RC here but I don't see how you couldn't give good grades for some of the things they've gotten so late in the draft.

That list I put + Kawhi I think is a testament to how well they scout players..

Now it seems you're looking at GM's who frequently get higher picks thus bigger names, due to poorer seasons, so there would need to be some context there of course

Let me change what I said in the OP. It's harder to evaluate GMs who, for the last decade, have been drafting late solely on their draft picks.

For the most part teams that get multiple top picks don't keep their GMs around too long so that tends to even things out too.

Scoots
08-31-2016, 06:42 PM
To completely evaluate a GM you'd have to take the picks they traded away and compare the value they got to the players who were still on the board at the point of that pick and you'd have to speculate based on fit and development and that development thing favors Buford not for his own skill but that of his coaching staff, but some of that credit should go to RC too. And on and on and on. I was trying to keep it simpler, but as with all such debates they often get questions thrown at the edges and that's it's own kind of fun too.

tp13baby
08-31-2016, 07:58 PM
Tim Connelly. He has been money. He made 1 bad one in trading Gobert but...

2013: Joffrey Lauvergne at 55 produced well and even netted us 2 future second rounders

2014: traded the 11th (Dougie Fresh) for the 16th(Nurkic) and 19th (Gary Harris). 41st Nikola Jokic.

2015:didnt trade up and got Mudiay at 7.

2016: same thing with Murray. Drafted Hernangomez at 15 who was voted the best young player in the ABA and already is expected to make the team. Beasley at 19.

Giannis94
08-31-2016, 08:55 PM
Hammond. Drafted Giannis. Nuff said.

JasonJohnHorn
08-31-2016, 10:21 PM
The Spurs and the Warriors have drafted the best, and the Thunder have done a pretty good job as well. Stellar actually.

Pop/Buford and West get the nod from me, though I don't want to take credit away from GSW's GM since West is only an advisor/consultant.

But the Thunder... I mean... Ibaka, KD (granted, it was a no brainer), Westy, Adams, Bledsoe, Harden. Reggie JAckson, Collison, Rindour (that was the last GM). And Landry.

I'd say that's a pretty impressive track record.

naps
09-01-2016, 04:31 AM
R.C. Buford. He never gets to pick in the lottery, people need to realize it.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Buford, easily. Since Duncan, he has had to build rosters through picks outside the lottery, and draft day trades.

I can't believe this is actually a question to be honest.

Scoots
09-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Buford, easily. Since Duncan, he has had to build rosters through picks outside the lottery, and draft day trades.

I can't believe this is actually a question to be honest.

Why not ask it though? Sure RC has had late picks ... but in 20 years he's picked 3 stars, and in the last 10 years 3 pretty good players. If we count draft day trades he gains Kawhi which is huge, but he also loses Dragic, Barbosa, Salmons, and he traded Scola away without him playing for the team. RC is so good at finding talent it's frankly amazing how many players have better careers after leaving the Spurs ... not stars, but players who get better and better ... but I think Pop and his staff, and Timmy, have to get a lot of credit for that track record too.

But yes. RC is great no question. It would be interesting to see what he could do with lottery picks. RC also should get some credit for training Sam Presti who has a pretty incredible record with his picks.

So, if RC is #1 ... who is #2?