PDA

View Full Version : Should we be concerned with Melo's struggles these Olympics?

Chronz
08-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Lost amidst the talk of Melo becoming the winning-est Basketball Olympian was his fairly low level of play these Olympics. Yes, Melo "saved the US" vs Australia with timely hooping but what about the rest of the tournament?

After that 1 great game he shot 32% from the field and 26%(6-23) from 3 for the rest of the tournament. As a whole his numbers were the worst of his FIBA career:
16.5 PER - .520 TS% - .500 eFG%

To question matters more, his on/off court influence for team USA was ahead of only Kyrie Irving so its not like the team was at its most effective with him out there.

Compared to his numbers in prior tourneys and you're left wondering if this is a harbinger of things to come for Melo this year. (Bold represents Team Leading Stat)
2012 Olympics: 41.6 PER - .689 TS% - .669 eFG%
2008 Olympics: 20.4 PER - .599 TS% - .531 eFG%
2007 Americas: 41.2 PER - .749 TS% - .736 eFG%
2006 World Cup: 33.0 PER - .608 TS% - .591 eFG%

Do you feel Melo has the worst year of his career or was this inconsistency just a result of being on one of the most Iso-Oriented Team USA we've had in years? Fluke or Harbinger?

blahblahyoutoo
08-27-2016, 01:10 PM
yes, but it's more related to the loss of what little athleticism he has left, along with being out of shape and gaining weight.

TheMightyHumph
08-27-2016, 01:31 PM
I've never been more terrified.

Lil Rhody
08-27-2016, 01:33 PM
^ I always felt Melo will be like Paul pierce in older age. Not the quickest guy out there but killer post moves and fade aways that are lasers

Ugh I miss PP

Chronz
08-27-2016, 01:49 PM
Mods, change title to terrified plz.

^ I always felt Melo will be like Paul pierce in older age. Not the quickest guy out there but killer post moves and fade aways that are lasers

Ugh I miss PP

Hes still kicking man, hes coming back for one more year to retire on top.

6man
08-27-2016, 02:27 PM
He started out on fire but fell off from there. I wouldn't be too worried.

KnicksorBust
08-27-2016, 02:37 PM
Am I concerned Melo had 4 bad games playing role player on a gold medal team? Hmm no.

Chronz
08-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Am I concerned Melo had 4 bad games playing role player on a gold medal team? Hmm no.
Is there really any difference in his role over his FIBA career? If anything, he was looked to as a leader on this team more than ever before.

Vee-Rex
08-27-2016, 03:32 PM
Is there really any difference in his role over his FIBA career? If anything, he was looked to as a leader on this team more than ever before.

It's a little harsh to judge Melo over a few Olympic games. His style of play makes it a little harder for him to adjust to playing with several other really good players simply because he has always been a score-first player. I watched Kyrie struggle with this for 2 years (and he still does), but he's much better now than he was at the start of the 2014-15 year.

I say give Melo a full year with this revamped Knicks squad and see if he can establish a consistent role for himself by the end of the year. I think he'll be just fine, especially since he showed he can have an impact in other ways last year.

aman_13
08-27-2016, 04:01 PM
The latter. He wasn't the only one who struggled with his shot.

east fb knicks
08-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Atleast he had 1 great game he obviously costed the rest of the way smh

Sadds The Gr8
08-27-2016, 06:22 PM
not really surprising. I think he's at best 85% of what he was in his prime at this point.

JasonJohnHorn
08-27-2016, 07:58 PM
I don't expect his Olympic performance to have much bearing on the upcoming season.

I think there is a concern as to how far he can lead a team that isn't rounded out. He had a great team in Denver when he was at his prime and only once got them out of the first round. Granted, it was a VERY deep west, but still. Is it fair to expect much more out him now?

I think the Knicks made some interesting moves this offseason, but Noah and Rose are gambles. They've struggled and been slowed by injuries, and Rose, at least, looks like he simply won't be able to return to form. Still, the Knicks had few options, so I think they've done about as well as can be expected with their options, and they might as well see how this rides out. They have until the trade deadline to decide.

But that said, looking at where Melo is in his career arc, and where the Knicks are in terms of building a contender, it seems clear to me that now is about the time to trade Melo. He's at that stage where it's clear he won't be leading a team to a title, and it is likely best to trade him for future assets. If the Knicks are kind (and they'll have to be since he has a no-trade clause), they'll move him to a contender (Clippers, Cavs, Thunder, ect) and give him a shot at winning as a #2 or #3 option.

Yes, we've seen guys this old or older finally lead their team to the big stage: Dirk, for example. Karl Malone and Stockton. But it doesn't happen to often. The more realistic scenario is the Mark Aquirre scenario where the team who has him isn't close to winning, and so dumps the all-star to start over. The Mavs did that with Derek Harper to. They got their best years out of him, weren't in a position to win, and shipped him off to a contender to build for the future. We've seen this with lesser stars (Richard Jefferson), and bigger stars (Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett). Guys like Findley. The bottom line is that unless there is a major implosion in Cleveland and Prozi sees a huge jump and Rose and Noah return to their prime form, the Knicks won't even have a chance of getting to the finals, let alone topping the Warriors when they get there (not that I mean to act like that is a foregone conclusion).

The Knicks aren't winning this year, or next, and by they year after, Melo won't be appealing to anybody as trade bait. So they might as well see how this season starts, and if they don't see the miracle they are hoping for with Rose, Noah and Porzi, they might as well move on and try to start building for the future.

Should they be concerned about Melo's Olympic performance? No. But they should be concerned that they have an aging All-Star who likely won't be able to lead the team to a deep playoff run for the next couple of years while he still has his ability.

Crackadalic
08-27-2016, 08:03 PM
yes, but it's more related to the loss of what little athleticism he has left, along with being out of shape and gaining weight.

Idk why you keep saying he's fat. His last workout(check his Instagram) he looks thin. Its called padding bro. He wears a ton when he plays due to his style of play. Not sure how your out of shape playing USA basketball but w/e

Back to the op question nah I'm not concern honestly. This year was a bit weird as it was too iso centric which is ironic melo himself is an Iso scorer.

Kyrie is the better player but he wasn't good through these games. Doesnt mean much as long as they are in mid season shape at the start of the season

Crackadalic
08-27-2016, 08:08 PM
I don't expect his Olympic performance to have much bearing on the upcoming season.

I think there is a concern as to how far he can lead a team that isn't rounded out. He had a great team in Denver when he was at his prime and only once got them out of the first round. Granted, it was a VERY deep west, but still. Is it fair to expect much more out him now?

I think the Knicks made some interesting moves this offseason, but Noah and Rose are gambles. They've struggled and been slowed by injuries, and Rose, at least, looks like he simply won't be able to return to form. Still, the Knicks had few options, so I think they've done about as well as can be expected with their options, and they might as well see how this rides out. They have until the trade deadline to decide.

But that said, looking at where Melo is in his career arc, and where the Knicks are in terms of building a contender, it seems clear to me that now is about the time to trade Melo. He's at that stage where it's clear he won't be leading a team to a title, and it is likely best to trade him for future assets. If the Knicks are kind (and they'll have to be since he has a no-trade clause), they'll move him to a contender (Clippers, Cavs, Thunder, ect) and give him a shot at winning as a #2 or #3 option.

Yes, we've seen guys this old or older finally lead their team to the big stage: Dirk, for example. Karl Malone and Stockton. But it doesn't happen to often. The more realistic scenario is the Mark Aquirre scenario where the team who has him isn't close to winning, and so dumps the all-star to start over. The Mavs did that with Derek Harper to. They got their best years out of him, weren't in a position to win, and shipped him off to a contender to build for the future. We've seen this with lesser stars (Richard Jefferson), and bigger stars (Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett). Guys like Findley. The bottom line is that unless there is a major implosion in Cleveland and Prozi sees a huge jump and Rose and Noah return to their prime form, the Knicks won't even have a chance of getting to the finals, let alone topping the Warriors when they get there (not that I mean to act like that is a foregone conclusion).

The Knicks aren't winning this year, or next, and by they year after, Melo won't be appealing to anybody as trade bait. So they might as well see how this season starts, and if they don't see the miracle they are hoping for with Rose, Noah and Porzi, they might as well move on and try to start building for the future.

Should they be concerned about Melo's Olympic performance? No. But they should be concerned that they have an aging All-Star who likely won't be able to lead the team to a deep playoff run for the next couple of years while he still has his ability.

After this coming season he has two years left? What is late 1st rounders going to do? I rather KP get playoff experience and hope to catch a lighting in the bottle in the next few years. Besides the cavs I don't see any unbeatable teams out east. Melo can stay 2nd fiddle while KP takes over

nycericanguy
08-27-2016, 08:13 PM

based on what? the 2nd half of last season when he averaged 19ppg on 45%? knicks dont need Rose to be MVP rose, we'll take 2nd half of last year Rose and be happy with it. How many PG's in the league can put up 19per game on 45%?

IndyRealist
08-27-2016, 08:19 PM
based on what? the 2nd half of last season when he averaged 19ppg on 45%? knicks dont need Rose to be MVP rose, we'll take 2nd half of last year Rose and be happy with it. How many PG's in the league can put up 19per game on 45%?

I'm not real sure what you're arguing, then. He said Rose won't return to form, and you agreed.

Chronz
08-27-2016, 08:26 PM

Who do you think has a better year, Lin or Rose?

TheMightyHumph
08-27-2016, 08:48 PM

That's a good question.

I'm not sure.

ewing
08-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Lost amidst the talk of Melo becoming the winning-est Basketball Olympian was his fairly low level of play these Olympics. Yes, Melo "saved the US" vs Australia with timely hooping but what about the rest of the tournament?

After that 1 great game he shot 32% from the field and 26%(6-23) from 3 for the rest of the tournament. As a whole his numbers were the worst of his FIBA career:

To question matters more, his on/off court influence for team USA was ahead of only Kyrie Irving so its not like the team was at its most effective with him out there.

Compared to his numbers in prior tourneys and you're left wondering if this is a harbinger of things to come for Melo this year. (Bold represents Team Leading Stat)

Do you feel Melo has the worst year of his career or was this inconsistency just a result of being on one of the most Iso-Oriented Team USA we've had in years? Fluke or Harbinger?

His finishing ability has defiantly decline as has his ability to create separation. His season will hinge on match ups and the Knicks ability to get him more catch and shoot opportunities.

FlashBolt
08-28-2016, 01:34 AM
C'mon, Chronz. This is like a 5 game sample and by your example, Melo should have been the best player by far in 2012. I don't see how any of this correlates. Will he have a declining season? Who knows? I think Knicks are by far a better team than last season (you won't see many Knicks fans complaining about their offseason. Hell, most Knicks fans I know actually think they are better than the Warriors. Optimism is back there for the Knicks fans). How great Melo can be will largely depend on how great Rose can be for them. KP will get better, Noah needs to dominate defensively and take away pressure from KP but just looking at their lineup:

Noah
KP
Melo
Lee
Rose

Assuming they are healthy, I would have no issue saying they might be the 2nd best team in the East. I like Melo's new approach to the game, tbh. He's looked like a better player when he's looking to pass and get others involve. Let's hope he focuses on getting KP to the next level and stops reverting back to ISO MELO.

nycericanguy
08-28-2016, 10:09 AM

Rose, but I think Lin will have a damn good year himself. He's going to finally get the ball in his hands and he has a perfect P&R guy in Lopez now. Lin can P&R all day.

But Rose hasn't had any knee issues in a while, since 2014? and I think he'll be rejuvenated and will pick off where he left off last year. Plus he has floor spacing front court now with KP & Melo... I think that will open his game up. and Hornacek has gotten the most out of PG's.

nycericanguy
08-28-2016, 10:11 AM
I'm not real sure what you're arguing, then. He said Rose won't return to form, and you agreed.

because ppl say it like the Knicks need and expect Rose to be 2011 MVP rose or else it was a bad deal. If we get 2nd half, post eye injury Rose next year that is a huge upgrade. Rose was TRASH early last year, but he was dealing with double vision and couldnt even participate in training camp... once he got into form he was pretty damn good for the last few months. but people ignore that.

IndyRealist
08-28-2016, 05:38 PM
because ppl say it like the Knicks need and expect Rose to be 2011 MVP rose or else it was a bad deal. If we get 2nd half, post eye injury Rose next year that is a huge upgrade. Rose was TRASH early last year, but he was dealing with double vision and couldnt even participate in training camp... once he got into form he was pretty damn good for the last few months. but people ignore that.

JJH did not say anything about it being a bad deal. He said it was a gamble and Rose/Noah/KP might not turn out to be the miracle people are hoping for.

nycericanguy
08-28-2016, 05:57 PM
JJH did not say anything about it being a bad deal. He said it was a gamble and Rose/Noah/KP might not turn out to be the miracle people are hoping for.

you just proved my point... what "miracle" is anyone hoping for?,.. that Rose plays like he did last year? but w/e.

IndyRealist
08-28-2016, 06:00 PM
you just proved my point... what "miracle" is anyone hoping for?,.. that Rose plays like he did last year? but w/e.

The gist of his post was that this team is not making a deep playoff run, and that they are better off trading Melo while he still has value. I would assume by miracle he meant that. It's a reasonable conclusion.

blahblahyoutoo
08-29-2016, 12:07 AM
Idk why you keep saying he's fat. His last workout(check his Instagram) he looks thin. Its called padding bro. He wears a ton when he plays due to his style of play. Not sure how your out of shape playing USA basketball but w/e

Back to the op question nah I'm not concern honestly. This year was a bit weird as it was too iso centric which is ironic melo himself is an Iso scorer.

Kyrie is the better player but he wasn't good through these games. Doesnt mean much as long as they are in mid season shape at the start of the season

then he better reduce some of that "padding" because he's been getting rejected on dunk attempts by the rim.

uprightciti
08-29-2016, 12:58 AM
Melo will never be the superstar he was Melo knows that he is playing the long game at this stage so why would he risk going 100% when he has young guys that can help win him a metal. He might not ever get a chip with the Knicks but Melo will get a ring at some point in the next 5 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROY 2 MVP Braun
08-29-2016, 01:35 AM
He would be a nice 2nd option for okc n they got some good young players that could help the Knicks start the rebuild.

Kanter or mcgary would be nice next to l.p.
Payne won't see a tons of min behind westy n v.o them 2 would be a nice start of a package

europagnpilgrim
08-29-2016, 01:54 AM
Its called aging/injuries and living a certain lifestyle

this is season 13 or 14th coming up for him and he has been injury riddled past couple seasons, he will still show his old self for a nice chunk of the season but that Denver version stud is all but out the door, but I am pulling for Melo so I hope it was just from partying too much while in Rio more so than actually falling off

mrblisterdundee
08-31-2016, 08:00 PM
Just don't be concerned with ever winning a championship with Carmelo Anthony. It will never happen, unless he becomes LeBron James' bag boy.

D-Leethal
08-31-2016, 09:17 PM
I think Melo struggled to adjust playing with guys he never played with before. He, Bron, Wade, Paul, Kobe all had a comfort zone around and knew how to play off each other much better than this cast did.

Jimm
08-31-2016, 09:34 PM
I would take the melo we have now against the melo we had 4 years ago. A more willing passer, puts effort on defence and has improved substantially, a better role model for players not just in the knicks but around the league. He's a better guy to have on your team now than he was in the melo/stat days.

Jets012
08-31-2016, 09:34 PM
No, bad Olympics doesn't change anything.

Now it's a whole different question if you asked if we should have been concerned with Melo's style years ago

xxplayerxx23
08-31-2016, 11:40 PM

Lol what

Seizabmc
09-01-2016, 08:07 PM
So draymond green was #10 on the best players list and melo was in the 20's somewhere ,
Green was nowhere to be found in the Olympics but no one is concerned about him .
Atleast melo played in the game and helped win a game and was the leader of the squad and broke records .
So why all the concern for him ?

And if your judging a player off the Olympics than how in the world is green higher on the best players list than melo ?

Go figure !

nycericanguy
09-03-2016, 09:43 AM

i know u were just trolling, but man Melo is looking fit!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ3JqI1Bi6h/

FlashBolt
09-03-2016, 10:35 AM
So draymond green was #10 on the best players list and melo was in the 20's somewhere ,
Green was nowhere to be found in the Olympics but no one is concerned about him .
Atleast melo played in the game and helped win a game and was the leader of the squad and broke records .
So why all the concern for him ?

And if your judging a player off the Olympics than how in the world is green higher on the best players list than melo ?

Go figure !

Nowhere to be found? Coach didn't even play him that much and his role was extremely limited. Coach K did a terrible job with lineups the entire Olympics.

Seizabmc
09-03-2016, 02:59 PM
There's a reason that one of the best coachs in the game didn't play green all that much .
Because there where players that were better suited at his position ,
AKA..... Melo !

JordansBulls
09-07-2016, 11:19 PM
No because he led the U.S to a gold medal unlike he and Lebron in 2004 and 2006.

Chronz
09-08-2016, 06:33 PM
No because he led the U.S to a gold medal unlike he and Lebron in 2004 and 2006.

he was better back then tho

Vee-Rex
09-09-2016, 09:18 AM
I think Melo was aware of the records he was close to breaking and played accordingly. I can envision him being a much more willing team player in the long NBA regular season with the new additions.

I just won't hold anyone's Olympic play against them unless they are just horrendously bad. Too many variables that can affect certain styles of play.

ballallday
09-09-2016, 10:48 AM

Although his stats might not be good, his play was timely like you mentioned. He got buckets not only in Australia but seemed to get hot when rest of team sucked in other games. Regardless of his poor numbers melo isn't a team player. He is like iverson/kobe, they need a bunch of decent players to pass him the ball, know their roles, hit shots when he is doubled and create spacing around him. This is what makes melo and other hogs like kobe great, they can carry a team of mediocre players. So worried? Nah melo will be his old chucking self this year and years to come... As long as knicks are healthy they will be playoff bound.