PDA

View Full Version : Oklahomans want to change Durant, Okla., to Westbrook

mrblisterdundee
08-26-2016, 10:57 AM
About 800 Oklahomans have signed a petition to change the name of Durant, Oklahoma, to Westbrook.
Durant is named after founder and Native American Dixon Durant, a member of the Choctaw Nation.

An Edmond resident has created a petition on change.org to change the name of Durant, Okla., to Westbrook, Okla.
Ryan Nazari said the State of Oklahoma has a responsibility to change the city's name because of the way Kevin Durant left the Oklahoma City Thunder.
"Ladies and gentlemen, the great state of Oklahoma has been betrayed," Nazari wrote on the petition.
He wants the state to change the name of the town to reflect the player who opted to stay with the Thunder -- Russell Westbrook.
"Yes, it is understood that the city Durant was not named after the evil Kevin Durant," Nazari wrote. "But it is just another hideous reminder of what happened to our community. Support the Cause. #WestbrookOK"
- KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/news/Petition-Change-the-name-of-Durant-Oklahoma-to-Westbrook-Oklahoma/41367952)

mrblisterdundee
08-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Putting aside the offensive nature of trying to rename a Choctaw city totally unrelated to basketball, how desperate are Oklahomans? Would they change the name of the city again after Russell Westbrook gets tired of losing and leaves? Maybe they'll try to name the town Kanter. He's got three years left on his contract.
Sorry (not sorry), but I hope the whole thing implodes, and the team is bought by investors and moved back to Seattle. Clay Bennett and the late Aubrey McClendon are total slime balls. They purposely lied to Seattle about trying to keep the team there. Their business is based on damaging the environment, screwing over landowners and cannibalizing America from the inside. Oklahoma City is built on an unsustainable energy boom, whereas Seattle is an attractive city with a real economy.

RowBTrice
08-26-2016, 01:10 PM
It gave me a good chuckle, but I hope this doesn't happen. Would be a slap in the face to Dixon Durant and the Choctaw Nation. Funny though. KD really ticked some people off LOL

likemystylez
08-26-2016, 01:25 PM
its amazing how a guy who did so much good for a community could be so passionately hated because of one decision. I understand the die hard okc fans being upset (although how diehard could they be- the teams only been there 8 yrs).... but any reasonable person could look at all the great things Durant did for that city over his 8 yrs there.

zn23
08-26-2016, 04:08 PM
They might wanna pump the brakes a little bit. Because after his two year contract with the Warriors is up, and if they've won a couple championships, there's a chance he could come back to OKC.

tredigs
08-26-2016, 05:03 PM
They might wanna pump the brakes a little bit. Because after his two year contract with the Warriors is up, and if they've won a couple championships, there's a chance he could come back to OKC.

Highly doubt it. He's not from Oklahoma where he grew up as a die hard sports fan watching his teams lose every year of his life, resulting in an inner guilt to go back home and take them and his city to the promised land (IE Lebron). He clearly had a lot of love for the city/state and did more for them than any athlete ever has, but I just don't see a return there in his future.

As for the article, it's just dumb Oklahoman's being petty and disrespecting one dead man's legacy in an attempt to disrespect another (who won't care). -Shrug

IKnowHoops
08-26-2016, 06:08 PM
This is way to die hard. Leave it on the court.