PDA

View Full Version : Team Penny/Jordan/Durant/Dirk/Drob vs Team Stockton/Kobe/Pippen/Mailman/Kareem

IKnowHoops
08-21-2016, 02:35 PM
I want to be like JB so, which team you got in this matchup?

PG Penny
SG Jordan
SF Durant
PF Dirk
C Admiral

vs

PG Stockton
SG Kobe
SF Pippen
PF Mailman
C Kareem

Who wins a 7 game series?

JAZZNC
08-21-2016, 02:49 PM
This one is tough. I feel like Hakeem wins his matchup, we've all seen the film! I feel like Malone would win his matchup with Dirk because he played excellent man D and is quick enough to guard Dirk on the perimeter. He also would have his way with Dirk in the post IMO. Pippen I believe has the size and length to fairly easily bother KD especially since KD seems so mentally weak and prime Pippen was a helluva offensive player as well. Obviously Jordan wins. Stockton and Penny would be the most interesting matchup. They are polar opposites but both phenomenally talented in their own ways. Stockton would have a hard time challenging the shots of Hardaway but I feel like he was crafty enough to get his during the course of the game. I feel like Stocktons intangibles and the fact that he would do all the little things could be the difference but it may just be my homerism that makes me think Stockton could win his matchup with Penny, not scoring wise but just making the right play for the rest of the team. I think it would be a phenomenal series and go 7 games. I say team Dream wins in 7 but when you have the GOAT on the other team...

Chronz
08-21-2016, 03:43 PM
Its the playoffs so D-Robs stats are going to shrink significantly more than anyone else of his stature, as he quite literally, might be the biggest playoff underachiever of all time. So without looking at any of the other names on the team, Im taking the one D-Rob isn't on.

Chronz
08-21-2016, 03:46 PM
Oh wait, you gave Drob all the best compliments and talents. Inferior version of MJ inKobe. Durant is obviously better than Pippen when he puts his mind to it. And Dirk+Mailman are a wash but at least Dirk can space out his opponent to the 3pt line, thereby giving D-Rob the better PF compliment. And then you have Penny vs Stockton, a good debate but god damn man, the only reason I would hesitate here is because of Robinson. Ill change my vote but man, that how much help D-Rob needs for me to feel comfortable siding with him. Its almost like you didn't watch D-Rob growing up, you merely saw his RS PER numbers.

Heediot
08-21-2016, 04:05 PM
Hard to bet against MJ.

IKnowHoops
08-21-2016, 04:35 PM
Oh wait, you gave Drob all the best compliments and talents. Inferior version of MJ inKobe. Durant is obviously better than Pippen when he puts his mind to it. And Dirk+Mailman are a wash but at least Dirk can space out his opponent to the 3pt line, thereby giving D-Rob the better PF compliment. And then you have Penny vs Stockton, a good debate but god damn man, the only reason I would hesitate here is because of Robinson. Ill change my vote but man, that how much help D-Rob needs for me to feel comfortable siding with him. Its almost like you didn't watch D-Rob growing up, you merely saw his RS PER numbers.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh:

What if this is a regular season thing where they meet 7 times during the regular season? David didn't shrink as much as you like to portray. Having a different coach every year doesn't help either.

Chronz
08-21-2016, 04:43 PM
He shrunk much more than anyone else of his stature RS wise. Its not me thinking, its me knowing

IKnowHoops
08-21-2016, 04:44 PM
Drob has lead the playoffs in

DRTG 5 times
Reb per game 2 times
Blks per game 2 times

His first 7 years in the playoffs he basically averaged 24/12/3

Awful I guess.

Probably can't find more than 5 other centers with better stats through there first 7 seasons in the playoffs excluding Wilts redic stats

IKnowHoops
08-21-2016, 04:52 PM
He shrunk much more than anyone else of his stature RS wise. Its not me thinking, its me knowing

Well since there is only two other guys of his stature, if your comparing guys that played at his level during the regular season...Shaq, Kareem, I'm fine with that, especially because of drastic difference in surrounding talent each of the other two had. Teams basically trippled him before he got the ball because there was nobody on his teams to respect.

basketfan4life
08-21-2016, 05:11 PM
i can't guess this, one day Kobe or Mj could put in 60, another day durant and malone, then there is Dirk and Kareem. I would die to watch 7 game series between these players.

At the end of the day and gun to my head, i'd go with mj to save my life.

Bostonjorge
08-21-2016, 06:48 PM
Team 2 is way better defensive. I would put Pippen on Jordan. Pippen is bigger and stonger. Jordan would find a way but no way would he own the post with Pippen pushing him out to the perimeter. Then you give Maolne his best weapon in Stockton so both are in prime position. I don't think Malone can guard Dirk but Dirk is not getting any boards over Malone.

Would be a great matchup but team 2 for me is the winning team.

lol, please
08-21-2016, 07:45 PM

PG Penny
SG Jordan
SF Durant
PF Dirk
C Admiral

vs

PG Stockton
SG Kobe
SF Pippen
PF Mailman
C Kareem

I've got the team with Jordan and Durant in 6.

sent from my Note 5 on Tapatalk

IKnowHoops
08-21-2016, 08:39 PM
i can't guess this, one day Kobe or Mj could put in 60, another day durant and malone, then there is Dirk and Kareem. I would die to watch 7 game series between these players.

At the end of the day and gun to my head, i'd go with mj to save my life.

And you never know when David may decide to throw up 71 again, or put up a quadruple double. The Admiral scored more in a game than Jordan/Kareem/KD/Dirk. And one of four guys to record the quadruple double.

Tony_Starks
08-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Penny gives Stockton the business. Malone bully's Dirk. If you put Pip on KD he is getting locked up, or if you put Pip on MJ then Kobe is going to put the clamps on KD plus light him completely up. Either way when you top it off with KAJ vs the DRob as the deciding factor team B is winning all day!

FlashBolt
08-22-2016, 11:39 AM
MJ is not going to destroy Kobe. The narrative that he will is based off nothing. He's a better player but I have more than enough confidence that Kobe will hang on there.

hugepatsfan
08-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Team 2 wins and then Durant signs with them in the following offseason because he's always up for a "challenge".

JAZZNC
08-22-2016, 07:01 PM
Team 2 wins and then Durant signs with them in the following offseason because he's always up for a "challenge".

Got em!

Raidaz4Life
08-24-2016, 09:13 AM
I like the chemistry of team 2 in this one.

FlashBolt
08-24-2016, 01:47 PM
I think Kareem is going to be too much for D.Rob to handle. That's literally the only matchup I can't see Team 1 winning. The rest are all too close.

Raidaz4Life
08-24-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm surprised people treat stockton and penny as if they are on equal terms. There is a huge talent difference but I'd easily say Stockton outplayed penny head to head in his prime

IKnowHoops
08-24-2016, 04:18 PM
I'm surprised people treat stockton and penny as if they are on equal terms. There is a huge talent difference but I'd easily say Stockton outplayed penny head to head in his prime

Prime Penny would kill Stockton. His best playoff series is much better than Stocktons

Raidaz4Life
08-24-2016, 04:24 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=stockjo01&p2=hardaan01

they competed in their respective primes and there was no murder at all of Stockton. Stockton looked like the better player

IKnowHoops
08-24-2016, 06:14 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=stockjo01&p2=hardaan01

they competed in their respective primes and there was no murder at all of Stockton. Stockton looked like the better player

Compare the best Penny in the playoffs to the Best Stockton in the Playoffs and I take Penny all day. He could drop 45 on you as well as get 10 dimes. Stockton is a beast though, but he'd be powerless to stop Prime Penny. Stockton did play him well in those regular season meetings you showed though so you have your argument. Penny stepped it up in the Playoffs though.

FlashBolt
08-24-2016, 10:02 PM

Penny went through many injuries throughout those games they played against each other so it's not really accurate.

JAZZNC
08-24-2016, 11:39 PM
Prime Penny would kill Stockton. His best playoff series is much better than Stocktons
Please show me when Stockton got killed.

FlashBolt
08-24-2016, 11:48 PM
Please show me when Stockton got killed.

He never said Penny destroyed Stockton. I'd rather have Stockton tbh. Better yet, CP3.

thenaj17
08-25-2016, 04:29 AM

PG Penny
SG Jordan
SF Durant
PF Dirk
C Admiral

vs

PG Stockton
SG Kobe
SF Pippen
PF Mailman
C Kareem

Kareem and Malone would kill inside and i'm a Kobe fan but Durant and Dirk would kill from outside and without getting doubled often because Jordan takes all the attention. Kobe/Pippen would do a good job guarding MJ/Durant but there may be too much wing scoring on team A for team B to cope with

It'd be close for sure, i'm edging to team A

Chronz
08-25-2016, 10:33 AM

Its not, Stockton would bring out the best in his team, Penny is hit or miss to have a great series that can offset Stockton's superior floor game. Theres a reason GP called Stockton his toughest assignment, hes locked up MJ, hes never stopped Stockton from running an offense at an elite level.

IKnowHoops
08-25-2016, 04:49 PM
Its not, Stockton would bring out the best in his team, Penny is hit or miss to have a great series that can offset Stockton's superior floor game. Theres a reason GP called Stockton his toughest assignment, hes locked up MJ, hes never stopped Stockton from running an offense at an elite level.

On a team of great players, I don't think he is as good. There's just no reason to put the ball in his hands when everyone else is so much more talented. He was the least impactful player on the dream team and thats including Christian Laettner lol

IKnowHoops
08-25-2016, 04:53 PM
And by any statistical measure you would like to use, there is a much greater difference between Kobe and Jordan than there is between KAJ and Admiral. I think David would kill KAJ on offense and he was a much better defensive player who was faster, stronger and jumped higher. He was just 3 inches shorter. Thats KAJ only physical advantage. In reality if they were to play against each other in there primes, my money would be on David. KAJ just had the luck of playing with HOF from day one in an ERA with much weaker centers. David is better statisctically than KAJ in many areas, advanced and raw stats. Kobe hit more 3's but thats nothing.

Shlumpledink
08-25-2016, 05:14 PM
This is an interesting matchup. I have always thought that the person who could guard Jordan the best would probably be his teammate Scottie Pippen. He has the height, athleticism, and reach to keep up with Jordan. He also is a smart player who is defensive minded. That would mean Kobe would have to guard Durant since I doubt Stockton can. Stockton versus Penny is a mismatch imo against Stockton.

On the other hand, I think the type of defender who would bother Dirk is Malone. Malone gave a prime Duncan fits when he was old and washed up with the Lakers. Malone isn't going to block your shot but he will poke it out of your hands a lot, especially when you're trying to rise up, which we all know is the only way you can bother Dirk's jumper. I think Malone, being an incredibly strong individual, can body him up but still swipe the ball out of his hands.

I don't think D-Rob can guard Kareem. Prime Kareem, or Old-man Kareem. Kareem and Malone would work really well together, and they would have the added benefit of Stockton and Pippen distributing.

I wonder how well Kobe guards Jordan if he has to here. At his prime level, and when he actually did play defense, he was best at ball denial defense imo. Without the triangle offense and no one really on the team who sets good screens I think it would be hard for Jordan to even get the ball.

I give the edge to team b.

An oversimplified way to look at this is to say team B has players who were Top 3 at their positions, and top 2 in some cases.

Shlumpledink
08-25-2016, 05:21 PM
And by any statistical measure you would like to use, there is a much greater difference between Kobe and Jordan than there is between KAJ and Admiral. I think David would kill KAJ on offense and he was a much better defensive player who was faster, stronger and jumped higher. He was just 3 inches shorter. Thats KAJ only physical advantage. In reality if they were to play against each other in there primes, my money would be on David. KAJ just had the luck of playing with HOF from day one in an ERA with much weaker centers. David is better statisctically than KAJ in many areas, advanced and raw stats. Kobe hit more 3's but thats nothing.

You might be right. Kareem did struggle against stronger defenders. And D-Rob is freakishly strong and athletically gifted. He was the Wilt/Lebron of his generation, big, strong, freakishly athletic. It was Dr. Buss' dream to bring Robinson to the Lakers to run in the showtime offense with Magic after Kareem left. Can you imagine what that would have been like? Its too bad we missed out on that.

I don't think D-rob used his strength as well as he could have though. Also, Kareem was really good defensively. He wasn't very strong, but he wasn't weak. He used his agility really well and was very fundamentally sound for a guy so long. He used his height well and challenged well without fouling (most of the time). A lot like Duncan if you ask me. I don't think he is that far from David in terms of defensive effectiveness.

Chronz
08-25-2016, 06:07 PM
On a team of great players, I don't think he is as good. There's just no reason to put the ball in his hands when everyone else is so much more talented. He was the least impactful player on the dream team and thats including Christian Laettner lol

On a team of great players, I think hes even better. There is every reason to put the ball in his hands, for him to deliver the rock and control the flow of the game. I dont believe your theories but him playing injured isn't going to sway anyone. I think the fact that he made the team despite being injured speaks volumes, even more that Team USA felt a true distributor was so important on a team with so much talent.

Chronz
08-25-2016, 06:11 PM

Not if we look at the playoffs, where DRob shrinks more than any player in history at his stature.

Vee-Rex
08-25-2016, 06:54 PM
Not if we look at the playoffs, where DRob shrinks more than any player in history at his stature.

Since when did you start caring about the playoffs? :D

In all honesty, as much as I want to pick any team with Jordan on it, I can see Penny/Durant/DRob shrinking when it matters most. If that happens then the Kobe team would win. I really won't bother debating this hypothetical game because I believe it could be pretty even depending on how things flow. Outside of Stockton, the 2nd unit is no threat beyond the arc, whereas the 1st unit has Durant and Dirk.

Chronz
08-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Since when did you start caring about the playoffs? :D

In all honesty, as much as I want to pick any team with Jordan on it, I can see Penny/Durant/DRob shrinking when it matters most. If that happens then the Kobe team would win. I really won't bother debating this hypothetical game because I believe it could be pretty even depending on how things flow. Outside of Stockton, the 2nd unit is no threat beyond the arc, whereas the 1st unit has Durant and Dirk.

LOL, you and I havent seen eye to eye on **** this off-season. Cant wait for the season to start when we're both rooting for the Cavs.

IKnowHoops
08-25-2016, 10:15 PM
On a team of great players, I think hes even better. There is every reason to put the ball in his hands, for him to deliver the rock and control the flow of the game. I dont believe your theories but him playing injured isn't going to sway anyone. I think the fact that he made the team despite being injured speaks volumes, even more that Team USA felt a true distributor was so important on a team with so much talent.

But he wasn't important. We have highnsight to see this. He was the least influential player on the team. He mad the team because Jordan said "I don't want Isiah on the squad" of just for all the things he had already done in the league. Its not like he had to make the team and beat out a bunch of guys in training camp.

IKnowHoops
08-25-2016, 10:20 PM

Horrible teams, horrible coaching, easy to key in on him. The only guys of his stature are Shaq and KAJ if we are talking production, and they had great players around them so hard to compare. If all david has to do is go one on one and not take "deny ball double and triple teams" he'll eat anyone up. And he average 24/12/3 in the playoffs. On a team of this magnitude, he won't get enough shots to come close to that so its not problem. He will just be running around with out the ball finishing with dunks and open jumpers.

6man
08-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Wow these results shocked me. I think it's team Kareem pretty easily.

Tony_Starks
08-26-2016, 02:25 PM
Wow these results shocked me. I think it's team Kareem pretty easily.

Very easily.