PDA

View Full Version : Throwback: Smush Once Had 18 Points in a Single Quarter!!!

Tony_Starks
08-19-2016, 04:23 PM
Would you believe the legendary Smush Parker lit up a team for 18 points in a single quarter?

Well believe it or not he did, against Dwight Howard and a resurging Grant Hill's Orlando Magic no less...leading to a classic response from then coach Brian Hill.
--------------------------

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- The Los Angeles Lakers didn't need Kobe
Bryant's jumper during crunch time. They had Smush Parker.

Parker scored a season-high 20 points -- 18 of them in the third
quarter -- and Bryant had 27 points and seven assists to help the
Lakers beat the Orlando Magic 106-93 Wednesday night.

We can't be giving the Smush Parkers of the league quarters
like that," Magic coach Brian Hill said. "If it's Kobe it's
different."

Grant Hill had 20 points for Orlando, which has lost three
straight. Jameer Nelson added 15 points and seven assists, and
Dwight Howard had 12 points and eight rebounds.

The Magic still have one of the best records (17-13) in the
Eastern Conference, but that might not last. Orlando has lost eight
of its last 11 games.

http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=261227019

Chronz
08-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Yeah but admit you would rather have had him than Chucky Atkins for another year. Chucky had the better career and was more productive but I thought Smush was decent in the triangle and a better fit alongside Kobe. Which I know is sad and indicative of their talent level but the dude was hungry for a fat contract before getting it and ballooning out of control. Have you seen that guy lately, its worse than Sean Mayne

Chronz
08-19-2016, 04:44 PM
Remember his steal vs Nash. Tell me you werent on his jock after that

Hawkeye15
08-19-2016, 04:54 PM
and people say Kobe had no help during the post Shaq years? Get outta here!

Chronz
08-19-2016, 05:05 PM
and people say Kobe had no help during the post Shaq years? Get outta here!

According to Kobe, Kwame Brown was one of the best defensive bigmen hes ever seen. I know he was **** offensively but can we all agree he wasn't a scrub. It really irked me back in the day when all Laker fans would recite would be the KWAMAY BROWN talk.

On another note, Smush was the biggest contrarian. After a career night the reporters ask him about his numbers, to which he responds I dont care about the numbers I just try to win the game. Yet in his rebuttal to Kobe about why hes not a scrub, he points to his numbers. Hated that guy but he was a good pickup considering he came out of nowhere to win the starting spot.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2016, 05:36 PM
According to Kobe, Kwame Brown was one of the best defensive bigmen hes ever seen. I know he was **** offensively but can we all agree he wasn't a scrub. It really irked me back in the day when all Laker fans would recite would be the KWAMAY BROWN talk.

On another note, Smush was the biggest contrarian. After a career night the reporters ask him about his numbers, to which he responds I dont care about the numbers I just try to win the game. Yet in his rebuttal to Kobe about why hes not a scrub, he points to his numbers. Hated that guy but he was a good pickup considering he came out of nowhere to win the starting spot.

he was no Skip to My Lou, but he was alright.

Rivera
08-19-2016, 06:15 PM
he was no Skip to My Lou, but he was alright.

Im still mad SVG benched rafer in favor of Jameer who was injured for a while and was fighting his way back into rythm. Rafer was the man

IKnowHoops
08-19-2016, 06:46 PM
I could see Lebron getting to the finals with those guys, and they would be looking like Tristan Thompson and Prime Delonte West. These guys would of done well if they had a guy Like Lebron believing in them and passing them the ball when they were open. They both needed to be told they were good to get more confidence because they both had the physical tools.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 07:12 PM
Kwame had small hands and his confidence was wrecked LONG before Kobe by MJ. Kobe got the most out of Kwame and Smush. Didn't Smush play with Wade the very next year and suck balls?

Lakers + Giants
08-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Yeah but admit you would rather have had him than Chucky Atkins for another year. Chucky had the better career and was more productive but I thought Smush was decent in the triangle and a better fit alongside Kobe. Which I know is sad and indicative of their talent level but the dude was hungry for a fat contract before getting it and ballooning out of control. Have you seen that guy lately, its worse than Sean Mayne

yea, chucky atkins was what like 30 at that the time? Smush was way more athletic and a better defender imo, which is what we needed with Kobe. No way the PG was actually gonna be running **** lmao.

Remember his steal vs Nash. Tell me you werent on his jock after that

:nod: He's the reason we went to OT tbh.

Tony_Starks
08-19-2016, 07:57 PM
Yeah beut admit you would rather have had him than Chucky Atkins for another year. Chucky had the better career and was more productive but I thought Smush was decent in the triangle and a better fit alongside Kobe. Which I know is sad and indicative of their talent level but the dude was hungry for a fat contract before getting it and ballooning out of control. Have you seen that guy lately, its worse than Sean Mayne

Smush got fat? This I gotta see. The last I remember of him was the infamous Smush-calade, Riley gave him a shot in Miami and he blew it with some shenanigans, then I think the last stop was trying to make Clippers training camp and getting the buzz off.

I was pumped when he got that steal on Nash tho.

If Smush had a good head on his shoulders he actually should've had a prolonged journeyman career. Skill wise he wasn't garbage but he was just lazy and inconsistent.

He had the most wide open shots of his life in LA and still squandered it.

Tony_Starks
08-19-2016, 08:01 PM
yea, chucky atkins was what like 30 at that the time? Smush was way more athletic and a better defender imo, which is what we needed with Kobe. No way the PG was actually gonna be running **** lmao.

:nod: He's the reason we went to OT tbh.

Chucky Atkins used to literally make me want to turn the TV off.

It wasn't funny at ALL then but now that I look at it watching the likes of Atkins, Chris Mihms and Luke all playing at the same time is sheer comedy.

We used to just watch and be like ok, I might as well be playing for the Lakers at this point if these guys are.

Tony_Starks
08-19-2016, 08:05 PM
I could see Lebron getting to the finals with those guys, and they would be looking like Tristan Thompson and Prime Delonte West. These guys would of done well if they had a guy Like Lebron believing in them and passing them the ball when they were open. They both needed to be told they were good to get more confidence because they both had the physical tools.

Wrong and historically incorrect. They both got the ball plenty but Smush couldn't shoot and Kwame had bricks for hands.

Look up the story of the game in Detroit where Kobe told Kwame he was open every time because they were all over him, he wanted to feed him. Kwame literally told him NOT to pass him the ball because he was scared they might foul him and he didn't want to go to the line.

That's one of many stories you can research. As well as Kobe publicly coming to Kwames defense when the home crowd started booing him...

Lakers + Giants
08-19-2016, 08:05 PM
It's a shame kobe's years were wasted like that. But let's be honest, he had help his whole career, we can't complain hahaha.

BTW, I still got my Carls Jr Laker bobble heads:

Lamar Odom, Devean George, Caron Butler, and yes CHRIS MIHM. So don't talk about my boy like that :laugh:

Tony_Starks
08-19-2016, 08:25 PM
It's a shame kobe's years were wasted like that. But let's be honest, he had help his whole career, we can't complain hahaha.

BTW, I still got my Carls Jr Laker bobble heads:

Lamar Odom, Devean George, Caron Butler, and yes CHRIS MIHM. So don't talk about my boy like that :laugh:

Hahaha!

I intentionally call him Mihms out of sheer disrespect!

Lakers + Giants
08-19-2016, 08:29 PM
Hahaha!

I intentionally call him Mihms out of sheer disrespect!

I actually felt like he was solid until he broke his leg/ankle. :shrug:

Tony_Starks
08-19-2016, 08:46 PM

His post game and defense was semi legit the problem is he was just way too light in the wallet.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 10:48 PM

Do you remember when the old KCAL9 crew brought up that graphic about the only Laker centers to debut with a 20-10 game? IIRC they put him in company with shaq, kaj and others.

Lakers + Giants
08-19-2016, 10:57 PM
Do you remember when the old KCAL9 crew brought up that graphic about the only Laker centers to debut with a 20-10 game? IIRC they put him in company with shaq, kaj and others.

Nah. Can't say i remember that tbh. Did hee really do that in his lakers debut?

I do remember him averaging like 10-8 tho which isn't THAT bad. Like i said, i actually thought he was solid.

Lakers + Giants
08-19-2016, 11:06 PM
Damn, i see he averaged 6 RPG. Not 8. Ouch, lmao. That's brook lopez bad.

Tony_Starks
08-19-2016, 11:32 PM
At one point I remember Jermaine Jones and Tier Brown in the starting lineup.....and this is before the advent of tanking.

Lakers + Giants
08-20-2016, 12:12 AM
At one point I remember Jermaine Jones and Tier Brown in the starting lineup.....and this is before the advent of tanking.

omg, you mean jumaine jones right? lmaoooo, he was our "sniper" back then :laugh2:

Along with Kareem Rush and Brian Cook, I ****in hated that bastard. Damn, and to think that the 04 team would completely take a dump on our current team. FEELSBADMAN :(

Bostonjorge
08-20-2016, 02:02 AM
Kwame could not catch a bounce pass to save his life. Biggest fumbler in the history of the game. He's wasn't even what Hibbert is today. Let's not pretend he was anything at any point in time.

Lakers + Giants
08-20-2016, 04:49 AM
Kwame could not catch a bounce pass to save his life. Biggest fumbler in the history of the game. He's wasn't even what Hibbert is today. Let's not pretend he was anything at any point in time.

The man helped net us Pau, He's a savior!

Chronz
08-20-2016, 10:59 AM

He was the reason the Lakers didn't have to send doubles at every bigman in the league. Kobe says hes one of the best defensive bigs hes ever seen. Offensively, he was doing work against the Suns in the playoffs but after that he was never the same. I truly think his confidence continued to wane on that end and it just killed him.

Similar to what happened to a quality player in Biedrins

Tony_Starks
08-21-2016, 11:06 AM
The shade Brian Hill threw at Smush was pretty funny. If I'm a player and I see that I'm feeling really disrespected.

Basically saying you're garbage.

LA4life24/8
08-23-2016, 02:12 PM
And people say lebron had some bad teams... people forget the immediate post shaq lakers and how grotesque their lineups were. If they didnt have kobe they wouldnt have won a single game. Hell the 09-10 team wasnt even great literally like three years later the only 2 players still in the league were kobe&pau. So yes kobe played on a team with another all time great in shaq but after that his teammates werent the greatest either lol

Vee-Rex
08-23-2016, 05:27 PM
I used to love playing with those post-Shaq Lakers teams in NBA2K. All the bandwagoners jumped off and went with teams like Detroit and Miami. I'd Kobe the **** out of them and had Odom gettin' it in too. Smush would get some here and there as well. Ahh, good times.

I love playing with underdogs/talented-but-flawed teams.

Chronz
08-23-2016, 05:40 PM
I miss playing with Tmac on the Knicks, Pistons, Hawks especially.