PDA

View Full Version : What if Olympics were more important than NBA?

mrblisterdundee
08-18-2016, 03:56 PM
You've likely heard DeAndre Jordan's proclamation that Olympic gold is more special than the Larry O'Brien trophy. The Ringer had a nice piece on that alternate reality and some of its implications:

1. Carmelo Anthony would be the GOAT.
2. Fabricio Oberto would be a household name.
3. Christian Laettner’s post-collegiate basketball career would be considered great.
4. Nothing significant would’ve happened in the NBA before 1992.
5. Vince Carter would have the most legendary basketball play of all time.
- The Ringer (https://theringer.com/olympic-basketball-nba-deandre-jordan-ed23f00e208b#.vl411mdu4)

TrueFan420
08-18-2016, 05:01 PM
You've likely heard DeAndre Jordan's proclamation that Olympic gold is more special than the Larry O'Brien trophy. The Ringer had a nice piece on that alternate reality and some of its implications:

I don't see an issue. He's not saying it's more important just more special. He has a fair point. He's playing for his country, there's only a crowned champion once every 4 years. That's special. Being special doesn't make it more important. His money comes from NBA and he knows that's more important. This concept isn't foreign to anyone who follows other sports. Repping your country in a once every 4 years tournament is special.

MackShock
08-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Carne asada fries are special. @TrueFan

hugepatsfan
08-18-2016, 05:35 PM
I don't see an issue. He's not saying it's more important just more special. He has a fair point. He's playing for his country, there's only a crowned champion once every 4 years. That's special. Being special doesn't make it more important. His money comes from NBA and he knows that's more important. This concept isn't foreign to anyone who follows other sports. Repping your country in a once every 4 years tournament is special.

I get this, but let's be honest, Team USA shouldn't really be too proud of their wins. I get the aspect of repping your country - definitely great pride in that. But our loaded all-NBA roster beating up on teams that have a fraction of the talent isn't anything that competitively is too great an accomplishment. I get the over-arching environment factors but in the competition aspect it's laughable to compare winning Gold to winning an NBA title.

R. Johnson#3
08-18-2016, 05:46 PM
The Olympics used to be more important than the NBA. Players took offense when they didn't get on the team and regardless of what stage it was on, Carter's dunk is the greatest play in basketball history.

TheMightyHumph
08-18-2016, 10:04 PM
The Olympics used to be more important than the NBA. Players took offense when they didn't get on the team and regardless of what stage it was on, Carter's dunk is the greatest play in basketball history.

The Olympics have never been more important to NBA players than the Olympics.

And the reason why is simple and obvious.

Lakers + Giants
08-18-2016, 10:07 PM
Ginobili would be considered the 2nd best SG ever for beating the US in 04!

TrueFan420
08-19-2016, 12:18 AM
Carne asada fries are special. @TrueFan

Come on now Mack... Carne Asada fries are far more than just special.

TrueFan420
08-19-2016, 12:25 AM
I get this, but let's be honest, Team USA shouldn't really be too proud of their wins. I get the aspect of repping your country - definitely great pride in that. But our loaded all-NBA roster beating up on teams that have a fraction of the talent isn't anything that competitively is too great an accomplishment. I get the over-arching environment factors but in the competition aspect it's laughable to compare winning Gold to winning an NBA title.
O on that note I'm completely agree. They shouldn't lose with the talent discrepancy. I'd much rather see an all star college selection than NBA'ers. But they have every right to be proud to rep their country.

More-Than-Most
08-19-2016, 01:26 AM

Jordan and others are morons... They just are. I get they think because its a once every 4 year thing so its more rare than an NBA championship that happens yearly but in no way/shape or form is an olympic medal better or more important than a NBA championship because the talent gap is massive... It is so much harder to win a championship in the NBA... Honestly as bad as the sixers and lakers are they would knock out a ton of these olympic teams and its a joke.

More-Than-Most
08-19-2016, 01:27 AM

Not when you are playing child like competition in comparison.

More-Than-Most
08-19-2016, 01:29 AM
O on that note I'm completely agree. They shouldn't lose with the talent discrepancy. I'd much rather see an all star college selection than NBA'ers. But they have every right to be proud to rep their country.

I would love that honestly... Also being proud is fine but trying to make it more special than a championship is just disrespectful when you factor in how bad the competition is.

mrblisterdundee
08-19-2016, 02:03 AM

The NBA could make it a rookie tradition. This year's team would be pretty tall:

PG - D'Angelo Russell, Cameron Payne
SG - Devin Booker, Josh Richardson
SF - Justise Winslow, Stanley Johnson
PF - Karl-Anthony Towns, Frank Kaminsky, Trey Lyles
C - Jahlil Okafor, Myles Turner, Willie Cauley-Stein

ROY 2 MVP Braun
08-19-2016, 04:27 AM

The NBA could make it a rookie tradition. This year's team would be pretty tall:

PG - D'Angelo Russell, Cameron Payne
SG - Devin Booker, Josh Richardson
SF - Justise Winslow, Stanley Johnson
PF - Karl-Anthony Towns, Frank Kaminsky, Trey Lyles
C - Jahlil Okafor, Myles Turner, Willie Cauley-Stein
Wouldn't be fair only 1 class of every 4 would get the chance.
If anything maybe select college players and pros with a max of going into their 4th season

TrueFan420
08-19-2016, 09:45 AM
If anything maybe select college players and pros with a max of going into their 4th season

They could do it like soccer. Team must be 23 and under with 3 overage player execptions. Or cause it's basketball and one player can change everything make its 1 overage player exception.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2016, 10:01 AM
The Olympics is all about pride, but it's absolutely nowhere close to the best basketball there is.

The NBA represents the best players in the world, period. It is the highest level of basketball, that will not change at any point. Winning an NBA championship means you are the best basketball team in the world.

FlashBolt
08-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Think about this... if Carmelo is seriously the GOAT of basketball because of the Olympics, what does that tell you about the Olympics? At this point, most NBA players combined into a team will probably walk away with a gold medal. You can't do that in the NBA and you certainly wouldn't get far. Hell, LeBron didn't even want to play in the Olympics this year because he was too drained from the NBA season. It isn't worth it for him but the other guys who've yet to experience winning (Melo has been on-air stating that he likes the Olympics because he wins), it might be their only chance of ever feeling like a champion.

mavwar53
08-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Can anyone explain why the U.S. should only allow younger players or college athletes to go as our Olympic representatives, other than for your viewing satisfaction? Aren't the Olympics about sending the best your country has to compete? If the U.S. decided to not send the best but send just younger players isn't that disrespectful to America if you lose, the players that got better with age (thinking Chauncey Billups), and disrespectful to other countries basically saying we are too damn good we will not even send our B team to face you but how about the D team.

As for Jordan and especially for Carmello who is satisfied with the 3 golds if they get the one this year rather than an NBA championship, it's extremely sad. I'd hate for my team to have one of those guys. An 8 game stretch and you can lose 1 or 2 of the first 5 games and the talent differential is overwhelmingly in favor of one side, sure be proud you did it for your country but to be proud of who you did it against to win it all is sad. If the warriors have Curry get injured next year and they win 20 games total and they say they are proud of what they did without the MVP they should all have their balls chopped off and their man cards taken away.

TheDish87
08-19-2016, 11:10 AM
are you not familiar how it was prior to the dream team?

Vinylman
08-19-2016, 11:45 AM
Ginobili would be considered the 2nd best SG ever for beating the US in 04!

except he wouldn't of beat us in 04 if the Olympics WAS IMPORTANT... because if it was the team would look totally different...

that alone is a testimony to why the Olympic gold is irrelevant... the best players in this era don't even give a rats *** about playing in it...

mavwar53
08-19-2016, 11:59 AM
are you not familiar how it was prior to the dream team?

Your point?

TrueFan420
08-19-2016, 01:01 PM
I would love that honestly... Also being proud is fine but trying to make it more special than a championship is just disrespectful when you factor in how bad the competition is.

Look at it like this... Winning a championship is part of their Job. It's what they're paid to try to accomplish. Yes some will work their whole careers and never get there. But it's part of their job. The olympics isn't part of their job. It's something that you are selected to participate in to represent the best your country has to offer. There's a difference. Representing the entire USA is more special than reppresentig the Clippers or whoever your team is. Winning gold can be more special without being harder to achieve.

TrueFan420
08-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Think about this... if Carmelo is seriously the GOAT of basketball because of the Olympics, what does that tell you about the Olympics? At this point, most NBA players combined into a team will probably walk away with a gold medal. You can't do that in the NBA and you certainly wouldn't get far. Hell, LeBron didn't even want to play in the Olympics this year because he was too drained from the NBA season. It isn't worth it for him but the other guys who've yet to experience winning (Melo has been on-air stating that he likes the Olympics because he wins), it might be their only chance of ever feeling like a champion.

Ignore the article that was posted. Focus on the main point that Jordan was making. To him representing his country is more special than playing in the NBA. That doesn't mean it's more important and if he had to pick only one of the two I bet it would be the NBA. But what he's talking about is very different then what the article is.

JasonJohnHorn
08-19-2016, 01:35 PM
In a sense, the Olympic medal does mean more.

What is more impressive, Robert Horry being a role player on 7 title team and eclipsing Jordan for total number of titles? Or Carmelo Anthony maintaining a high enough level of play 14 years to warrant selection on the Olympic team? Is there anybody that is going to rank Horry over Melo?

Yes, when you lead your team to a title over another franchise player, that is more impressive than teaming up with him to win a medal over a clearly inferior team, but you have to be good enough to be selected.

Winning a title is about working hard to put yourself in the right position to win, but it is also about luck in terms of the situation you are in, and the situation other players are in. Injuries, draft picks, acquisitions, personal conflicts that lead to trades. These are things individuals can't control.

Karl Malone, John Stockton, and Charles Barkley have no rings, but they got the gold medal, and they got that because they established themselves at the very best at their position. Nobody is going to say Fisher had a more impressive career than Stockton.

And yes, there are off seasons where players pass that open the door for less celebrated players, but by and large, when you prove yourself to be good enough to get on the Olympic team, you've done more than Bill Wennington ever did.

TheDish87
08-19-2016, 01:47 PM
Your point?

if you were familiar you would understand my point.

mavwar53
08-19-2016, 02:32 PM
double post

mavwar53
08-19-2016, 02:33 PM
if you were familiar you would understand my point.

Lol, nice one. I made points, you apparently have nothing to back up why the U.S. should not send out the best other than that is the way they did it before.

We used to have slavery before, maybe we should go back to that right?

PayDaPiper
08-19-2016, 02:45 PM
Anyone know if the USA/Spain game will be replayed later and on what channel? Wanted to watch that..

Chronz
08-19-2016, 02:47 PM
Wait why is Melo the GOAT? Hes still not better than Kobe, Bron, KD, Wade, CP3, among others in FIBA play.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Anyone know if the USA/Spain game will be replayed later and on what channel? Wanted to watch that..

Depends on your provider, I havent been watching the games on regular tv but most cable/sat providers have a designated basketball and soccer stations where they run all the games non-stop

Chronz
08-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Collegiate players would lose in the Olympics, especially now that none of these kids stay in College long enough to actually learn something. Like Bron-Melo-Wade were sent their rookie years and they had NEVER experienced animosity like that, no arena can simulate entire nations wanting to see you lose. They honestly felt like the world was against them and those guys are just about the most NBA ready rooks you could imagine and even they struggled. I do think the rest of the world has declined but it would have to go back to pre-80's level for the kids to win. Hell, remember when we sent like 2 collegiate players and other Americans who were playing in other leagues to the newly minted "World Cup" during that lockout. We bronzed in that tournament and that wasn't even the Olympics.

You guys shouldn't underestimate grown man strength.

TheDish87
08-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Lol, nice one. I made points, you apparently have nothing to back up why the U.S. should not send out the best other than that is the way they did it before.

We used to have slavery before, maybe we should go back to that right?

seriously? we dont need to send pro's to win at the Olympics. Even with the world improving a lot a team of younger players would still be the favorite to win.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 03:37 PM
seriously? we dont need to send pro's to win at the Olympics. Even with the world improving a lot a team of younger players would still be the favorite to win.

History disagrees with you. Its almost like you guys dont remember that there have been Olympics where we werent favored before the DT era. Either that or your speaking without even knowing

So yeah, very seriously.....

Hawkeye15
08-19-2016, 03:43 PM

I disagree. Considering the really good college players leave early now, the talent level in college is nowhere near what it was in the 70's-90's. And even those teams were tested by weaker talent than is playing worldwide now.

Now if you said "nobody in the NBA can play in the Olympics", I might listen, but even then, there are plenty of professional players overseas that would dominate collegiate basketball, due to strength and experience.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2016, 03:47 PM
Think about it, can a group of college kids beat Spain, who has 11 current, or former NBA players?

It's not happening.

TheDish87
08-19-2016, 03:50 PM
I disagree. Considering the really good college players leave early now, the talent level in college is nowhere near what it was in the 70's-90's. And even those teams were tested by weaker talent than is playing worldwide now.

Now if you said "nobody in the NBA can play in the Olympics", I might listen, but even then, there are plenty of professional players overseas that would dominate collegiate basketball, due to strength and experience.

i wasnt talking strictly college players. just capped at a certain experience level in the league but with some college i still think we could win. of course it would be closer and way more interesting. not saying we would cruise to a gold but i still think we could field a (small) favorite.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 04:01 PM
I liked that one guys idea of sending the youth with 1 or 2 bonafide All-NBA level players to guide them. If for no other reason than to see how differently it goes. Then again, the objective is to win and these star laiden casts do give us the best chance, especially now that we dont just toss talent together.

Heediot
08-19-2016, 04:32 PM
Maybe an all Duke team can do something lol. I think an all Calipari can win a gold

John Wall-Eric Bledsoe-B. Knight-D. Rose
Booker-Aaron Harrison
Kidd Gilchrist-Darius Miller
A. Davis-T. Jones
Cousins-Towns-Cauley Stein

The wings are an iffy spot, but the talent is there and gold is a good possibility.

Duke Coach K team

Kyrie Irving-Tyus Jones-Seth Curry
Gerald Henderson-Austin Rivers
Rodney Hood - Justise Winslow-Lance Thomas
Jabari Parker-J. McRoberts
Jahlil Okafor-Plumee Brothers

They have a chance to medal.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 05:49 PM
You know, I felt these NBA players were taking it abit too far but after what KD said about being at his best when he doesn't care if he wins or loses, kind of makes me appreciate these guys just saying they care alot

mrblisterdundee
08-20-2016, 12:20 PM

That seems reasonable. The roster gets a lot smaller, but that's better for the Olympics anyway:

PG - Elfrid Payton, Marcus Smart, Zach LaVine
SG - C.J. McCollum, Victor Oladipo, Allen Crabbe
SF - Rodney Hood, Otto Porter
PF - Jabari Parker, Nerlens Noel
C - Karl-Anthony Towns, Jahlil Okafor

mrblisterdundee
08-20-2016, 12:40 PM
What if we only allowed stars in their twilight years to play for the gold. Toss in a few active but older top-flight stars. Call it a going away present. They could have even given Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan another shot at gold before official retirement. Let them go out competing for national glory — Chris Bosh, too, if he's not coming back to the NBA:

PG - Chris Paul, Andre Miller
SG - Dwyane Wade, Vince Carter, Ray Allen
SF - Kobe Bryant, Caron Butler
PF - Carmelo Anthony, Paul Pierce
C - Chris Bosh, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett

The_Franchise13
08-21-2016, 11:40 AM
To everyone including Towns in USA rosters...

I believe he's not eligible (yet) to play for team USA correct? He played for Dominican Republic.

I asked myself, "where's towns?" in this tourney when I saw Cousins refusal or inability to pass out of a double team.

JasonJohnHorn
08-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Collegiate players would lose in the Olympics, especially now that none of these kids stay in College long enough to actually learn something. Like Bron-Melo-Wade were sent their rookie years and they had NEVER experienced animosity like that, no arena can simulate entire nations wanting to see you lose. They honestly felt like the world was against them and those guys are just about the most NBA ready rooks you could imagine and even they struggled. I do think the rest of the world has declined but it would have to go back to pre-80's level for the kids to win. Hell, remember when we sent like 2 collegiate players and other Americans who were playing in other leagues to the newly minted "World Cup" during that lockout. We bronzed in that tournament and that wasn't even the Olympics.

You guys shouldn't underestimate grown man strength.

Ahmen. This is why Thon Maker's age is an issue. There is a HUGE difference between a 18 year-old dominating 17 and 18 year olds, and a 24 year old doing it. As good as LBJ was at 18, he wasn't as efficient a scorer as most SFs in the league that year (not even as efficient as Melo). you get a bunch of kids at 18 and 19 and even 20 years old who WILL be good in a few years, and put them against guys like Gasol and Gasol, and they will get eaten alive.

This is why we so seldom see an AS worth performance from a rookie anymore. 20 years ago, guys came out after 3 or 4 years. D-Rob. Hakeem. Coleman. Duncan. Mourning. These guys tore it up as rookies. Even Shaq played 2 years first. Now guys are coming in and they are literally teens agers who aren't even old enough to drink. It is hard for them to compete with grown men.We will likely never see a rookie average 30+ or 25/10 again.

Chronz
08-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Ahmen. This is why Thon Maker's age is an issue. There is a HUGE difference between a 18 year-old dominating 17 and 18 year olds, and a 24 year old doing it. As good as LBJ was at 18, he wasn't as efficient a scorer as most SFs in the league that year (not even as efficient as Melo). you get a bunch of kids at 18 and 19 and even 20 years old who WILL be good in a few years, and put them against guys like Gasol and Gasol, and they will get eaten alive.

This is why we so seldom see an AS worth performance from a rookie anymore. 20 years ago, guys came out after 3 or 4 years. D-Rob. Hakeem. Coleman. Duncan. Mourning. These guys tore it up as rookies. Even Shaq played 2 years first. Now guys are coming in and they are literally teens agers who aren't even old enough to drink. It is hard for them to compete with grown men.We will likely never see a rookie average 30+ or 25/10 again.
Yeah, Bron was actually very inefficient but most were back before the handchecking augments.

This is why you might want to listen to Gopher about rooks not making a positive impact, its very hard to stumble upon a perfect setting for a youngster.