PDA

View Full Version : NBA Mock Off-season Playoffs #7 Kings vs #10 Magic

The_Jamal
08-18-2016, 06:49 AM
Welcome to the NBA Mock Offseason Playoffs. We changed a few rules and completely got rid of conferences, so the best 16 teams made the playoffs. Please vote for which team you would think would win in a 7 game series. Consider this as if it were the 2017 Playoffs. Also, do take time to read the GM's arguments as to why they'd win. Thank you and have fun!

#7 Kings

PG: Kyrie Irving/Michael Carter-Williams
SG: Kyle Korver/Gary Harris/Justin Holiday
SF: Robert Covington/Terrence Ross/Caron Butler
PF: Nikola Mirotic/Thad Young
C: Dwight Howard/Tiago Splitter/Salah Mejri/Joffrey Lauvergne/Sasha Kaun

#10 Magic

PG Tony Parker / Patty Mills
SG Evan Fournier / Will Barton / Doug Mcdermott
SF Aaron Gordon / Mike Dunleavy / Shabazz Muhammad
PF Kevin Love / Aaron Gordon
C ZaZa Pachulia / Jordan Hill / Kyle O Quinn

Twolves88
08-18-2016, 07:05 AM
King's in a very tough battle. I feel like the kings defense is slightly better. I think both offenses may be par.

bloomis1307
08-18-2016, 08:21 AM
One of the main reasons Dwight Howard under-performed in Houston was poor defensive guard play from James Harden. When defenses can penetrate Howard is left in a 2 on 1 type situation and gets exploited. As we have seen all Olympics Kyrie is a poor defender against a system predicated on ball movement. Add to that a below average defender in Korver and you have yourself a recipe for disaster on the defensive end. We'll be running an offense predicated on ball movement and the pick and roll. Both Patty Mills and Tony Parker have flourished in this type of offense in San Antonio and should be able to post similar numbers in a timeshare at PG.

Evan Fournier at this point in his career is already a better play than Korver. Korver can shoot the three sure, but so can Fournier (he actually shot better from deep than Korver last season). But what Fournier brings is athleticism and better defense. Just look at their PERs Korver below 10 Fournier almost 15. That takes us to the other part of the wings where we have an even bigger advantage Robert Covington vs Aaron Gordon. Covington has regressed every year since joining the NBA however the reverse is true for Gordon. The Advanced statistics don't lie Covington last year (.385 FG%, PER 13.2, WS / 48 .05) whereas Gordon last year was at (.473 FG%, 17 per, WS/ 48 .139). It's not even close

The big man matchup we've already begun to talk about. Howard is a good defender but he gets exploited when there is poor guard play. Mirotic is a solid player as well but even in an injury riddled season by Chicago they only played him 25 minutes a game. Offensively they don't bring much extra to the table, Dwight has shown he will only play his way (post ups) and it is not effective. If anything this hurts Kyrie's ability to drive by clogging the paint. Mirotic can space the floor but he is unathletic and should easily be guarded by Love. Defensively no way is Mirotic ready to ready to bang with Kevin Love for an entire series at 30+ minutes per game. Zaza is nothing special but we is a good facilitator, can hustle, and play defense. we also have Jordan hill off the bench that gives us another strong presence down low. Kevin love however should really begin to flourish in our system. The reason he "under-performed" in Cleveland is because he was playing 3rd fiddle to Lebron and Kyrie however in our system he'll get much more looks. Unlike Cleveland he won't be relegated to a 3pt shooter, and in the post Mirotic will be no threat defensively.

Bench play I think we also hold the advantage. Will Barton came in fourth place for 6th man of the year Patty Mills had a hell of a year and really was a Starter type B player in SA last season. Mike Dunleavy plays good defense and can shoot the 3 and Jordan Hill is an Avg big man. He has MCW who is a laughing stock in the NBA and was benched last season by Miluakee, Gary Harris who was outperformed by barton, Ross and Thad Young are ok but nothing great and Splitter was on IR last season.

All in all I think it boils down to this. Sacremento has more "big name" players in Kyrie and Dwight but the team doesn't fit well together. Poor defensive guard play means Dwight's becomes the Dwight we know in Houston. Offensively they have nonathletic 3 point shooters a guy that drives and a guy that wants to post up for an entire game. Not very dynamic if you ask me. On the other hand we have a cohesive team where everyone can pass the ball efficiently and have a huge advantage when it comes to Athleticism. That athleticism means we can close out on their 3 point shooters and with Dwight being Dwight their only real threat is Kyrie. On offense Love, Fournier, and Mills can shoot the 3 with the best of them and Barton / Dunleavy are no joke either. Love and Aaron Gordon can both bang in the paint and both Fournier and Gordon can slash.

They might steal 1 or 2 games but I think we win this series

Sadds The Gr8
08-18-2016, 01:29 PM
reasons we win:

1) Their defense just has NO chance at all. Their frontcourt defense is terrible, and backcourt defense is probably worse. Parker has NO chance to guard Kyrie at all at this point in his career, and Fournier doesn't defend either. Zaza can't protect the rim AT ALL, and couldn't hold up as the anchor on a terrible defensive team last year in Dallas when he had weak defenders around him, so how is he gonna do that with even worse defenders on this Orlando team? That Dallas team got destroyed by Off rebs and on the defensive end last year, and those are my team's 2 biggest strengths with Kyrie, all of my shooters, and Dwight Howard to crash boards.

2) My defense isn't any great shakes, admittedly, but they have nothing scary at all on the offensive end. Parker it's fair to say is close to washed at this point. He has been a non-factor for 2 years, and has been ATROCIOUS in his last 2 playoff runs. He doesn't have the legs anymore to carry an offense as talented as the Spurs, so how will he do it with WAY less talent around him? Fournier is a solid offensive player, but he has shown nothing in the big-time and has only really had 1 above-average year as an offensive threat. Gordon is still raw offensively and isn't nearly as dangerous at SF. Love we all know has declined significantly. Cleveland's system has a little to do with it, but this team still doesn't have the talent to help him get back to his Minny #s. He probably doesn't even have the legs to do that anymore also. Barton is an erratic player that had 1 GREAT month, and was pretty mediocre the rest of the season. He also has limited playoff experience and can't really be depended on that much.

If I had more time, I'd go in more, but I'll have to do that after work. Their team doesn't have nearly enough talent or fit on either end of the court to give us trouble. I think we would win in like 5 games.

bloomis1307
08-18-2016, 01:53 PM
Parker washed up? Last time I checked, a 16.2 PER and .142 WS/48 is not washed up. He only scored 12 ppg last season but his TS% was actually higher than Kyrie's (their WS/48 are the same)! We also have Patty Mills who is a better defender and better 3pt shooter than Parker who will be playing a similar amount of minutes. Saying we have no threat on offense is a down right lie, we have our offense distributed amongst every starter that doesn't mean we don't have any offense.

And let's talk about your offense for a second, Howard under 14 ppg last season and has played worse every year in Houston. An unathletic guard and forward in Korver and Mirotic and an ineffecient tweener in covington. Your team has no offense outside of Kyrie.

You think you will get all kinds of offensive rebounds but I beg to differ. Sure Howard has an 20% rebound rate but Gordon was at 15% last year, Love despite being relegated to the 3pt line on offense still clocks in at 18% and Zaza (the guy you dismiss as a bum) was near 20%. Your PF? 11.6%. Covington is not much better at 12%.....so yeah I'd say you're also losing the battle on the boards.

5ass
08-18-2016, 02:06 PM
reasons we win:

1) Their defense just has NO chance at all. Their frontcourt defense is terrible, and backcourt defense is probably worse. Parker has NO chance to guard Kyrie at all at this point in his career, and Fournier doesn't defend either. Zaza can't protect the rim AT ALL, and couldn't hold up as the anchor on a terrible defensive team last year in Dallas when he had weak defenders around him, so how is he gonna do that with even worse defenders on this Orlando team? That Dallas team got destroyed by Off rebs and on the defensive end last year, and those are my team's 2 biggest strengths with Kyrie, all of my shooters, and Dwight Howard to crash boards.

2) My defense isn't any great shakes, admittedly, but they have nothing scary at all on the offensive end. Parker it's fair to say is close to washed at this point. He has been a non-factor for 2 years, and has been ATROCIOUS in his last 2 playoff runs. He doesn't have the legs anymore to carry an offense as talented as the Spurs, so how will he do it with WAY less talent around him? Fournier is a solid offensive player, but he has shown nothing in the big-time and has only really had 1 above-average year as an offensive threat. Gordon is still raw offensively and isn't nearly as dangerous at SF. Love we all know has declined significantly. Cleveland's system has a little to do with it, but this team still doesn't have the talent to help him get back to his Minny #s. He probably doesn't even have the legs to do that anymore also. Barton is an erratic player that had 1 GREAT month, and was pretty mediocre the rest of the season. He also has limited playoff experience and can't really be depended on that much.

If I had more time, I'd go in more, but I'll have to do that after work. Their team doesn't have nearly enough talent or fit on either end of the court to give us trouble. I think we would win in like 5 games.
Fournier does play defense. He's really not that bad on that end. Closer to average if anything. And Zaza was a huge part of that Bucks team in 2014-2015 that overachieved defensively. Still, yes they're weak defensively aside from AG, and for that I voted for the Kings.

bloomis1307
08-18-2016, 02:17 PM
So you argue that we are weak defensively, and while I respectfully disagree I think the same argument should be made for his team. There is no way he would be able to defend our players....His best defender is on Zaza. Houston has showed that Howard isn't effective without good defenders around him so take away name value and he has nothing to show.

Sadds The Gr8
08-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Fournier does play defense. He's really not that bad on that end. Closer to average if anything. And Zaza was a huge part of that Bucks team in 2014-2015 that overachieved defensively. Still, yes they're weak defensively aside from AG, and for that I voted for the Kings.

Fourniers defensive metrics were bad last year so that's what I'm basing that off of. And zaza had a great defensive team and system around him in Milwaukee. On Dallas he couldn't prevent their defense from getting crushed with all those bad defenders around him. This Orlando team has even worse defenders.

Parker washed up? Last time I checked, a 16.2 PER and .142 WS/48 is not washed up. He only scored 12 ppg last season but his TS% was actually higher than Kyrie's (their WS/48 are the same)! We also have Patty Mills who is a better defender and better 3pt shooter than Parker who will be playing a similar amount of minutes. Saying we have no threat on offense is a down right lie, we have our offense distributed amongst every starter that doesn't mean we don't have any offense.

And let's talk about your offense for a second, Howard under 14 ppg last season and has played worse every year in Houston. An unathletic guard and forward in Korver and Mirotic and an ineffecient tweener in covington. Your team has no offense outside of Kyrie.

You think you will get all kinds of offensive rebounds but I beg to differ. Sure Howard has an 20% rebound rate but Gordon was at 15% last year, Love despite being relegated to the 3pt line on offense still clocks in at 18% and Zaza (the guy you dismiss as a bum) was near 20%. Your PF? 11.6%. Covington is not much better at 12%.....so yeah I'd say you're also losing the battle on the boards.

Lol kyrie was hurt and rounded into form late in the season and playoffs. Ridiculous to compare Parker to him. Like I said, Parker has been god awful in the playoffs lately, and that was on the ****in spurs. And playing mills weakens your already weak playmaking. You don't have any wing players that create for anyone. Parker is your only "playmaker" and he's declined in that aspect.

I never said zaza was a bum. I said he's not good enough defensively to hold down the fort. He needs good defenders around him.

How do I have no offense outside kyrie? I have a parade of shooters, and Thad Young off the bench, along with Dwight who's still capable of 17-19 ppg given the shots.

It's pretty simple. Both teams are below average defensively, my offense is much better.

mngopher35
08-18-2016, 02:25 PM
I feel like our offense will have much better ball movement and with both defenses being weak that could be a big factor (making bad defenses rotate a lot causes easy baskets). On top of this their offense is basically Kyrie creating which we have seen isn't great for a teams output/efficiency (more of an iso scorer needing a creator for others) and we have a very good defender in Gordon who could be up to the challenge with great length/athleticism to challenge him on his strength (Parker/Fournier can matchup with Korver/Covington fine). I don't think they have a defender to challenge Love in that way at all, he should put up MN type numbers or better if we run the offense through him a lot vs. Mirotic. We also should have a nice advantage on the boards which in a close series could be a factor.

All in all I honestly don't even think our team is that great, but this is a match up that I feel we would win due to playing a team oriented game.

5ass
08-18-2016, 03:27 PM
Fourniers defensive metrics were bad last year so that's what I'm basing that off of. And zaza had a great defensive team and system around him in Milwaukee. On Dallas he couldn't prevent their defense from getting crushed with all those bad defenders around him. This Orlando team has even worse defenders.

Lol kyrie was hurt and rounded into form late in the season and playoffs. Ridiculous to compare Parker to him. Like I said, Parker has been god awful in the playoffs lately, and that was on the ****in spurs. And playing mills weakens your already weak playmaking. You don't have any wing players that create for anyone. Parker is your only "playmaker" and he's declined in that aspect.

I never said zaza was a bum. I said he's not good enough defensively to hold down the fort. He needs good defenders around him.

How do I have no offense outside kyrie? I have a parade of shooters, and Thad Young off the bench, along with Dwight who's still capable of 17-19 ppg given the shots.

It's pretty simple. Both teams are below average defensively, my offense is much better.

Fournier played a lot of SF this past season. He was playing out of position to accommodate for the team and was very good offensively, but defensively he's definitely more suited to guard SGs. Skiles wasn't trying to hide Fournier defensively like you would do with bad defenders. He had him guarding LBJ, PG, and the likes at times. He isn't strong enough to cover SFs, but I think as a SG he's probably average to above average.