PDA

View Full Version : How good can Nikola Jokic be?

mrblisterdundee
08-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Nikola Jokic was overshadowed understandably so by Karl-Anthony Towns and Kristaps Porzingis. But he was third in Rookie of the Year voting. Jokic was arguably the player of the game Friday, when Serbia came within four points of upsetting the U.S. The Ringer had a piece about Jokic's potential in light of the Olympics performance (https://theringer.com/nikola-jokic-serbia-2016-olympics-rio-a1102f316a51#.tydk98tbt).
What do you think Jokic's future looks like in the NBA? Who would you compare him to, and how does he stack up against Towns and Porzingis?

Bruno
08-15-2016, 05:18 PM
he was better than Kristaps last season. he is a per minute monster. mentally he is light years ahead of his peers and on par with crafty vets. He's a top three player from 2014, and a gem. cerebral with a skill set w quick feet.

what he did against team USA wasn't just a stylized player taking advantage of a slight difference in the rules (see Faried), it's who he is on the NBA level as well. he's a real prize and Denver is going to be very interesting soon. he is one of the best centers in the NBA already.

picked him up off the wire in a dynasty league back in January, I've been on this train for months.

Bruno
08-15-2016, 05:20 PM
I think at his apex he can be 8/10ths the defender that Marc Gasol was with 12/10ths the offensive production, multiple all-star, and hell have far greater longevity than Marc as well because he's so good at such a young age. were looking at a more offensively polished version of Marc Gasol who's already dominating at 21 years of age.

Heediot
08-15-2016, 05:20 PM
He'll be as good as Marc Gasol. Maybe not as good defensively but better offensively. He'll be solid on d, and a focal point on offense. High IQ and skilled player, best passing big man to come into the league in a while.

Heediot
08-15-2016, 05:21 PM
I think at his apex he can be 8/10ths the defender that Marc Gasol was with 12/10ths the offensive production, multiple all-star, and hell have far greater longevity than Marc as well because he's so good at such a young age. were looking at a more offensively polished version of Marc Gasol who's already dominating at 21 years of age.

LOL we was thinking the same thing at almost the same time.

Scoots
08-15-2016, 05:27 PM
It was a real shame he was so largely ignored. He is a big part of why I've been so positive about the Nuggets future. I love the rookies added the last 3 years, they have some pretty good veterans, and they have a good coach and front office. The Nuggets are going to be a LOT better this year.

Heediot
08-15-2016, 05:35 PM
It was a real shame he was so largely ignored. He is a big part of why I've been so positive about the Nuggets future. I love the rookies added the last 3 years, they have some pretty good veterans, and they have a good coach and front office. The Nuggets are going to be a LOT better this year.

I think another top 3 pick sets up their future nicely. Add a guy like Harry Giles to the core of Jokic, Mudiay, Murray, Harris, Nurkic and so on and they may challenge the Wolves for the most young talent. Even without the top 3 pick they have some nice chips and talent moving forward.

Scoots
08-15-2016, 05:56 PM
I think another top 3 pick sets up their future nicely. Add a guy like Harry Giles to the core of Jokic, Mudiay, Murray, Harris, Nurkic and so on and they may challenge the Wolves for the most young talent. Even without the top 3 pick they have some nice chips and talent moving forward.

Gallinari, Faried and Chandler are pretty good too. There is a lot of talent there and they lost close games last year while still figuring out how to play and play together. They will make a big step this year ... and yeah, it's possible they end with a better record than the Wolves who I also really like.

mrblisterdundee
08-15-2016, 06:25 PM
Gallinari, Faried and Chandler are pretty good too. There is a lot of talent there and they lost close games last year while still figuring out how to play and play together. They will make a big step this year ... and yeah, it's possible they end with a better record than the Wolves who I also really like.

But I think the Nuggets need to jettison two out of three of those veterans. Faried would be my first choice to dump, although I don't think the market's very strong for non-shooting combo forwards. Gallinari gets Denver the most back, and he doesn't fit their trajectory very well. Maybe Denver should try to offer him up to Boston in exchange for Jae Crowder and filler. Chandler would be useful for any contender, probably as much as J.R. Smith.

Chronz
08-15-2016, 06:29 PM
Didn't Denver have an unknown prospect at center who was putting up huge per minute rates like 2 years ago? What happened to that guy?

IndyRealist
08-15-2016, 11:25 PM
Per minute, he was right there with Towns (who played 50% more minutes to be fair).

tp13baby
08-15-2016, 11:49 PM
Didn't Denver have an unknown prospect at center who was putting up huge per minute rates like 2 years ago? What happened to that guy?

Nurkic. He had knee surgery and they took their time bringing him back. He came back rusty and out of shape. This offseason he dropped 35 pounds. Many Denver fans believe he has the highest ceiling on the team in terms of potential. You see a lot of DMC in him although I doubt he reaches that level.

Jokic and Nurkic realistically can be the Bynum/Gasol type front court that dominated teams. We have no Kobe but I can see it. Jokic is the safest to hit his ceiling, he is already a top 3 passing big man, can step out and knock shots down and is just a smart player.

Scoots
08-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Nurkic. He had knee surgery and they took their time bringing him back. He came back rusty and out of shape. This offseason he dropped 35 pounds. Many Denver fans believe he has the highest ceiling on the team in terms of potential. You see a lot of DMC in him although I doubt he reaches that level.

Jokic and Nurkic realistically can be the Bynum/Gasol type front court that dominated teams. We have no Kobe but I can see it. Jokic is the safest to hit his ceiling, he is already a top 3 passing big man, can step out and knock shots down and is just a smart player.

Harris defends like young Kobe. Team scoring should take care of the rest. Gallinari needs to stay on the floor.

tp13baby
08-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Harris defends like young Kobe. Team scoring should take care of the rest. Gallinari needs to stay on the floor.

Getting Gallo and Chandler back should help. Add Murray too and scoring looks to be increased.

Hawkeye15
08-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Why didn't get play more than 21-22 mpg?

tp13baby
08-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Why didn't get play more than 21-22 mpg?

We had 2 other centers that Malone wanted to play in Nurkic and Lauvergne. He was averaging 26 min over the last month and a half though. Malone was reluctant to play any of the centers together, plus Arthur and Faried are very solid PF's.

5ass
08-16-2016, 05:46 PM
I'm a big fan. I don't think he'll be as good as Towns or Porzingis, but not far behind. I think he can be a top 10 player in the league.

Crackadalic
08-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Could be a future all star but I gotta see him play more then 22 minutes and is actually game planned against from other teams. From the 25+ Denver games I've seen he is very talented but he gotta show me more