PDA

View Full Version : Players in danger of falling off a cliff

Chronz
08-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Are there any guys you can see falling off completely, last year Paul Pierce filled that role. What about stars who downgrade into mere All-Stars.

CP3 has been playing for more than a decade at 6"ft and he has injury history. Could this be the year he begins to slip out of All-NBA status?

What about Pau? Hes looked pretty pedestrian these Olympics and is getting up there

JordansBulls
08-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Are there any guys you can see falling off completely, last year Paul Pierce filled that role. What about stars who downgrade into mere All-Stars.

CP3 has been playing for more than a decade at 6"ft and he has injury history. Could this be the year he begins to slip out of All-NBA status?

What about Pau? Hes looked pretty pedestrian these Olympics and is getting up there

Could be Lebron, Westbrook (already been injured before now has to do more than ever), CP3, Blake (both injuries last year in the playoffs), Lowry

LanceUpperCut
08-11-2016, 10:25 PM
I'd say Rose if he hasn't already fallen.

FlashBolt
08-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Could be Lebron, Westbrook (already been injured before now has to do more than ever), CP3, Blake (both injuries last year in the playoffs), Lowry

I think you misread the question. This isn't about who you hate the most.

Htownballa1622
08-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Lol. LeBron won't ever fall off. He'll just gradually decline. He's too good all around to fall completely off.

I could see Trevor Ariza.

Dwyane Wade?

JAZZNC
08-11-2016, 10:47 PM
I don't see any of the "All-NBA" type guys falling off barring injury. I can't think of one that is obviously at the end of their prime.

D Wade I think could have a really down year. Switching teams and having no shooters and two other kinda ball dominant players on the peremiter could be a really big deal and it's just yet another season on his body. When you yourself can't shoot, it may be tough sledding in Chicago.

SeoulBeatz
08-11-2016, 10:57 PM
I'd say Rose if he hasn't already fallen.

He's already fallen, though I think he'll bounce back to being an average PG this year IF he remains healthy. He'll never reach close to what he once was though.

I was randomly watching Rose highlights the other day, and mannnn, I forgot how much of an athletic freak he was before the injuries, it's really a shame imo.

zn23
08-12-2016, 01:00 AM
Wade. He didn't have that great of a year last year and I think he'll be a total non factor in Chicago.

Pau is a good choice as well.

Sadds The Gr8
08-12-2016, 02:42 AM
Pau and Wade

jerellh528
08-12-2016, 03:25 AM
I don't see pau falling off a cliff, he's one of the smartest players around and going to the Spurs with pop on a team with a reputation for getting solid play out of oldies

D-Leethal
08-12-2016, 01:29 PM
If were talking about old age players who go deep into their 30s as productive players and have that one year where they just completely fall off ala Pierce and KG of late, Nash in LA - Pau gets my vote. Dude is just getting too old.

Dirk is a guy who might fall off a cliff this year, but a safer bet would be next year.

PowerHouse
08-12-2016, 01:47 PM
Rather than Pau I thought it was Marc that filled that role last year.

kdspurman
08-12-2016, 01:49 PM
Obviously I hope Pau doesn't lol. I know Pop will do a good job of resting him and the training staff is one of the best.

Maybe wishful thinking :/ I'm not too concerned with how he looks in the Olympics, Ivery seen guys struggle there and look better once the NBA season starts

Scoots
08-12-2016, 01:59 PM
CP3 isn't 6' tall, and the team around him has too much talent for him to fall off a cliff.

We need to assume the player stays healthy, but they are just not capable of playing close to their previous level. Significant injuries should not count at all.

mrblisterdundee
08-12-2016, 04:06 PM

Chris Paul probably has at least three to five really good years in him, with his shooting, defensive and distributing skills. I'd give him a similar longevity as Jason Kidd or Steve Nash.
Pau Gasol will probably play restricted but highly efficient minutes, a la Tim Duncan. I expect he has another couple of good years left doing that.
Dwyane Wade is my likeliest candidate to fall significantly. He's three years older than Paul, lacks reliable shooting ability and is already three years older than Paul. I don't see why some people are so high on him, especially in an already shooting-deficient Chicago back court.
Joakim Noah and Derrick Rose are obvious candidates, not so much for falling off as for not climbing back on. I'm still trying to decide whether the Knicks or Bulls made the biggest mistake this summer.

LanceUpperCut
08-12-2016, 04:37 PM
I love the guy but I could see Dirk fading, it won't be falling off a cliff type but I see Dallas as a pretty bad team and he just might lack inspiration.

Scoots
08-12-2016, 06:13 PM
I love the guy but I could see Dirk fading, it won't be falling off a cliff type but I see Dallas as a pretty bad team and he just might lack inspiration.

I don't think Dirk can fall off a cliff ... more like a slow slide :)

europagnpilgrim
08-12-2016, 07:00 PM
the superstar/all nba caliber players are just slowly declining right before our eyes, not so much falling off a cliff but Dirk/Wade/Lebron and so on are just doing what the rest who came before them did, good enough but nothing like when they were younger spring chickens, before Dirk could go for 30-40pts any given night under the same rotational style that he is under now, but he just gets his 18-20 and shows flashes of the old Dirk every now and then, he will always be able to shoot but he doesn't have that take over style/impact 11' and prior seasons, same with Wade, same with Lebron who can do it more often but not like 07-10' and before type level

it would be the same for the injured plagued players but injuries took that away, but Rose and Noah are still young enough to be decent, but not mvp level anymore, which all NY really needs anyway since they have 2 strong scorers

Z Randolph isn't the same anymore and a stock full of others who are just declining because of age/style of play, just like it happened to Kobe/Duncan it will happen to all the former all nba players who were locked to make a team annually, it will happen to KD/Harden/CP3(on deck)/Curry/PG13 and any other player down the line, just wait until Drummond gets 10-12 years under his belt and he wont be a 18 rebound per game type guy, those 20-20 games will be hard to get

just what it is

kobe4thewinbang
08-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Roy Hibbert - I think this is his last chance, or he's out of the league. You don't see Oden still playing, so 7'0 ain't worth what it used to be worth if you're not effective. Zack Randolph too...

There's a lot of young guys in the league, so I don't think the rest might fall off due to age, but more so effectiveness and value they bring to a team. Take Nick Young for example. He gave the Lakers some good moments in that first year with Kobe out, but other than that, he is a huge distraction off the court and might make 1 out of 5 three pointers which (think Roy Hibbert) he's supposed to be better at. Same goes for Kevin Martin, who can't even get a contract. Even Kyle Korver - Mr. 50/50/90 - had a horrible year last season.

I also think injury prone players might be done soon, but mostly I think it's guys that shoot too much, don't play the team game, and only have athleticism going for them. Avery Bradley, Iman Shumpert. Kelly Olynyk...

Michael Carter-Williams, Mario Chalmers, Nikola Pekovic. Or guys like Jordan Hill, Brandon Jennings, Jameer Nelson, Danilo Galinari, Jrue Holiday. I think the biggest question mark is how effective and valuable Mike Conley will be with that huge contract expectation. And Carmelo Anthony has dropped off already...

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/1975/carmelo-anthony

JordansBulls
08-12-2016, 08:52 PM
I think you misread the question. This isn't about who you hate the most.

Huh???

Scoots
08-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Huh???

FlashBolt is working through some anger issues :)

FlashBolt
08-12-2016, 09:46 PM
FlashBolt is working through some anger issues :)

Oh, you're alive? Ruins my day now.

Scoots
08-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Oh, you're alive? Ruins my day now.
See what i mean?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

beasted86
08-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Call me crazy, but I say Carmelo.

I think there's a good chance Rose ballhogs in a contract year and the offense is ran more through him, also Hornacek has relied on PG heavy offenses so far. Porzingis will get more touches also.

Melo might be in the teens for the first time in his career.

LeonFSU
08-17-2016, 06:55 PM
Rudy Gay?

Clint Olbrock
08-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Idk about fall off but Klay and Dray are definitely going to see their numbers take a dip. They're both in that 3rd option Bosh/Love role.

Chronz
08-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Idk about fall off but Klay and Dray are definitely going to see their numbers take a dip. They're both in that 3rd option Bosh/Love role.

Definitely? What if Klay winds up leading the league in efficiency? Im guessing you dont think its possible?

Chronz
08-17-2016, 08:13 PM

I think there's a good chance Rose ballhogs in a contract year and the offense is ran more through him, also Hornacek has relied on PG heavy offenses so far. Porzingis will get more touches also.

If Rose can rediscover his drive and kick game, Melo might finally be able to play like he does in the Olympics sorta. Rose prolly does horribly tho

Clint Olbrock
08-17-2016, 08:31 PM
Definitely? What if Klay winds up leading the league in efficiency? Im guessing you dont think its possible?
LOL, no he won't. When dude is on he can go for 37 in a quarter, when he's off he is near useless on offense because he just keeps chucking regardless of the result.

In the hypothetical situation where he leads the NBA in efficiency he still has to compete with Steph at a 34% usage rate and KD at a 31% usage rate.. That is nearly 2/3 of the Warriors possessions being used by the 2 dudes ahead of Klay in the pecking order. When you have 2 of the top 10 players in usaga rate on your squad, your numbers take a hit and dip.

Not to mention I'm not only talking about shooting or scoring, all of his numbers are going to drop.

Bosh put up 24 PPG 11 RPG 2 APG his last season in Toronto, his first season in Miami he had 19 PPG 8 RPG 2 APG his numbers continued to fall off every season after that.

Love put up 26 PPG 13 RPG 4 APG his last season in Minnesota, his first season in Cleveland he had 16 PPG 10 RPG 2 APG.

It's pretty common knowledge when you have 2 volume shooters in front of you that you as a volume shooter aren't going to get the touches you used to. Klay has a usage rate of 26% himself. He runs the risk of falling off even more than he would depending how the Warriors decide to run the offense(more or less Draymond facilitating).

Sly Guy
08-17-2016, 09:57 PM
Lol. LeBron won't ever fall off. He'll just gradually decline. He's too good all around to fall completely off.

I could see Trevor Ariza.

Dwyane Wade?

I think wade as well. New scenario, late in his career on a mismatched team.

Sadds The Gr8
08-18-2016, 01:28 AM

I think he could slip, but most likely not "off a cliff" yet. He's showing in the tournament he's still a pretty lethal scorer. Maybe next year will be his big dropoff

Chronz
08-18-2016, 01:35 AM
LOL, no he won't. When dude is on he can go for 37 in a quarter, when he's off he is near useless on offense because he just keeps chucking regardless of the result.

In the hypothetical situation where he leads the NBA in efficiency he still has to compete with Steph at a 34% usage rate and KD at a 31% usage rate.. That is nearly 2/3 of the Warriors possessions being used by the 2 dudes ahead of Klay in the pecking order. When you have 2 of the top 10 players in usaga rate on your squad, your numbers take a hit and dip.

Not to mention I'm not only talking about shooting or scoring, all of his numbers are going to drop.

Bosh put up 24 PPG 11 RPG 2 APG his last season in Toronto, his first season in Miami he had 19 PPG 8 RPG 2 APG his numbers continued to fall off every season after that.

Love put up 26 PPG 13 RPG 4 APG his last season in Minnesota, his first season in Cleveland he had 16 PPG 10 RPG 2 APG.

It's pretty common knowledge when you have 2 volume shooters in front of you that you as a volume shooter aren't going to get the touches you used to. Klay has a usage rate of 26% himself. He runs the risk of falling off even more than he would depending how the Warriors decide to run the offense(more or less Draymond facilitating).

Im talking about per possession efficiency and no, I dont believe in what you consider to be common knowledge.Citing usage without consideration to their efficiency isn't swaying anyone. Reggie Miller led the league in per possession efficiency and he had an even lower usage than Klay, his overall numbers were more impressive imo simply because he was the main guy teams gameplanned for whilst being more efficient

Lakers + Giants
08-18-2016, 03:37 PM
Tony Parker, Al Horford, Luol Deng, Al Jefferson, and Mike Conley

Tony_Starks
08-18-2016, 04:38 PM
If Dwight can't use the fresh start with Bud to be a legit force in the middle again I think he's done.

David West looked pretty washed up at times to me last season, I think he's more locker room presence than impact player these days. Could be wrong.

I think my man Joe Johnson is about done, I hope I am very wrong.

I also think this is the year Chandler Parsons gets exposed as a never was...

LA_Raiders
08-18-2016, 04:44 PM
Kevin Love, the dude has his ship now he can go back to trash.

Clint Olbrock
08-18-2016, 09:11 PM
Kevin Love, the dude has his ship now he can go back to trash.

You're drunk, lol

The only place Love can go is up. It's been 2 seasons and he hasn't figured "it" out yet and they still won the NBA championship. If he figures it out, look out!