PDA

View Full Version : Which non-U.S. country has the most promising Olympic basketball future?

mrblisterdundee
08-11-2016, 01:47 PM
There seems to be a lot of young international talent coming up right now, as the veteran teams in Spain, Argentina and France wind down. Which teams do you think have the most potential to challenge the U.S.?

mrblisterdundee
08-11-2016, 01:55 PM
For me, it's down to Canada or Australia, as far as who has the brightest future.
Canada could have Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Kelly Olynyk, Dwight Powell, Cory Joseph, Trey Lyles, Tyler Ennis, Jamal Murray and Anthony Bennett playing together in 2020. Most if not all, depending on if Bennett can get better of them should have four more years of NBA experience under their belts. They'll have a clear alpha in Wiggins, but their roster looks pretty balanced. Shooting will be an issue.
Even with Andrew Bogut being 36 by the Tokyo Olympics, Australia could have a very strong team too. Bogut will still be a decent defensive anchor by then, if he's healthy, and he'll hopefully have a more polished Dante Exum and Ben Simmons with him, not to mention veterans like Patty Mills and Matthew Dellavedova. I still wish Australia could have had Kyrie Irving. It's not like the U.S. needs him to be competitive.
I give Canada the edge over Australia as the next-best team after the U.S.

Vinylman
08-11-2016, 02:06 PM
There seems to be a lot of young international talent coming up right now, as the veteran teams in Spain, Argentina and France wind down. Which teams do you think have the most potential to challenge the U.S.?

None... if the US sends there best players they will never lose...

Just look at who isn't on the team this year

Lebron
Westbrook
steph Curry
chris paul
Kawhi Leonard
Damian Lillard
Anthony Davis
James Harden
LeMarcus Aldridge

And that is just off the top of my head

mrblisterdundee
08-12-2016, 12:54 PM
None... if the US sends there best players they will never lose...

Just look at who isn't on the team this year

Lebron
Westbrook
steph Curry
chris paul
Kawhi Leonard
Damian Lillard
Anthony Davis
James Harden
LeMarcus Aldridge

And that is just off the top of my head

I asked which non-U.S. team has the most promising future. How is "none" an answer to that?

DanG
08-12-2016, 01:51 PM
I agree it's 1. Canada 2. Australia.

Canada can pretty much put out a full NBA roster.

With Australia alot depends on how great Simmons will be, but they still have Delly, Mills, Exum, Bairstow and Maker for many years.

Heediot
08-12-2016, 04:41 PM
I give the edge to Australia over Canada as they are better suited for fiba/international play. Canada had a full nba roster at the fiba americas and didn't qualify for the Olympics. Look at the Aussies in this olympics, they have one one legit nba starter on their team in Bogut and they have been the 2nd best team in the tournament. They do have Mills, Delly, Ingles and Bairstow (only the first 2 being rotational guys).NBA talent helps but it's only half the battle, chemistry and coaching also factor in. If they were playing with NBA rules, I'll take Canada. It's close but I am basing my opinion on what on see in the games and not on paper. This is an unbiased view from me as I am a guy from Toronto Canada, and have seen the majority of Canadas recent games in fiba play.

LanceUpperCut
08-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Canada is young and getting stronger every year.

CoJo/Ennis
Murray/
Wiggins/Bennett
Lyles/Powell
TT/Olynyk

And some young guys like Justin Jackson, Dillion Tate and more coming up. Not to mention Thon Maker might have Canadian status not really sure, I know his brother does who is also a top high school BBall player in Canada.

Heediot
08-12-2016, 05:29 PM

CoJo/Ennis
Murray/
Wiggins/Bennett
Lyles/Powell
TT/Olynyk

And some young guys like Justin Jackson, Dillion Tate and more coming up. Not to mention Thon Maker might have Canadian status not really sure, I know his brother does who is also a top high school BBall player in Canada.

Stauskas a did good in Mexico last year at the fiba americas. The shorter 3 point line makes his game more juicy in fiba play. That Barrett kid is the number 1 sophomore in the US right now. He will be a future lotto pick.

Canada will have the talent, they just need to learn how to play the fiba game and play well together. They are still young so we will see, the talent alone should be enough for medal contention.

JasonJohnHorn
08-12-2016, 07:41 PM

CoJo/Ennis
Murray/
Wiggins/Bennett
Lyles/Powell
TT/Olynyk

This is my pick too.. they had a few guys that didn't play this year. Hopefully in the future they will.

Ariza's Better
08-12-2016, 08:22 PM
The only thing a worry about in regards to Australia's future is that we might bring on another NBL coach rather than finding the best coach. Other than that I'm really excited about Australia's future in the Olympics.

LanceUpperCut
08-12-2016, 08:52 PM

CoJo/Ennis
Murray/
Wiggins/Bennett
Lyles/Powell
TT/Olynyk

Stauskas a did good in Mexico last year at the fiba americas. The shorter 3 point line makes his game more juicy in fiba play. That Barrett kid is the number 1 sophomore in the US right now. He will be a future lotto pick.

Canada will have the talent, they just need to learn how to play the fiba game and play well together. They are still young so we will see, the talent alone should be enough for medal contention.

Yeah can't believe I forgot Sauce Castio

Vinylman
08-16-2016, 09:36 AM
I asked which non-U.S. team has the most promising future. How is "none" an answer to that?

because no one should give a **** about second place....

warfelg
08-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Croatia deserves some consideration.

mrblisterdundee
08-16-2016, 11:48 AM
because no one should give a **** about second place....

So you're the judge of what people should or should not care about? Troll somewhere else, douche.

Vinylman
08-16-2016, 12:40 PM
So you're the judge of what people should or should not care about? Troll somewhere else, douche.

awe... did I hurt your feelings?

you can care about whatever you want... reality is simple... if the US sends its best players it doesn't matter who the other countries send... it is no competition...

zn23
08-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Canada is far away from competing. They got eliminated by Venezuela last year and couldn't compete with France this year. The talent is lacking.

Australia would be my pick.

LanceUpperCut
08-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Canada is far away from competing. They got eliminated by Venezuela last year and couldn't compete with France this year. The talent is lacking.

Australia would be my pick.

But they never had their best players and their all so young and getting better.

canzano55
08-16-2016, 06:02 PM

Australia would be my pick.They didn't have Wiggins against France but yeah...they shouldn't have lost to Venezuela in Mexico...