PDA

View Full Version : How good would the Blazers have been if they had stayed together?

Chronz
08-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Mathews is gone, injuries kind of sapped him but Im not familiar with why Batum left, not sure why they didn't just bring him back. Lets say LMA stays too.

Are they the 2nd best team in the West?

Bonus Q: What if they had gotten Hibbert?

valade16
08-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Batum was traded once it became clear to Olshey that LMA wasn't coming back and they were going to let Matthews and Rolo walk.

Why we thought he wasn't worth the extension he signed in comparison to Crabbe and Turner's contracts now IDK.

Vee-Rex
08-10-2016, 03:44 PM
I'd say they would be 4th best, maybe 3rd. IMO, Memphis is gonna crash and burn, but we can't write off the Clips and Spurs.

LMA was inefficient for a big man for most of his time in Portland so give credit to Pop for fitting him in nicely in San Antonio this past year. Although keeping him would've certainly been better, I'm not completely sure he would've had the same year in Porland that he had in SA. In fact, I'd attribute a lot of his defensive improvements to the Spurs system, since he never had as good of a defensive year his whole career until last year year.

Batum was traded for Henderson and Vonleh. Why? I'm not completely sure, but maybe it had something to do with Batum's contract ending soon. Batum just got 120 million from Charlotte so I guess you can say that Portland dodged that bullet.

Also, Hibbert blows.

mrblisterdundee
08-11-2016, 12:23 PM
I'd say the Blazers had the same potential in the West that the Heat without LeBron James had in the east. They needed another alpha to be a contender.
I wish Portland still had Nicolas Batum, though. He and Al-Farouq Aminu would play great next to each other, switching between wing positions, playing great defense, knocking down threes and Batum sometimes running the offense. Imagine a lineup with Damian Lillard, Allen Crabbe, Nicolas Batum, Al-Farouq Aminu and either Ed Davis or Mason Plumlee still pretty weak at center, but that's a credible lineup of death.

ccugrad1
08-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Add this to the pile-- Imagine if they took Durant over Oden in the 2007 NBA Draft?

FlashBolt
08-11-2016, 01:08 PM
Add this to the pile-- Imagine if they took Durant over Oden in the 2007 NBA Draft?

Durant would have ran to the Spurs in 2010?

valade16
08-11-2016, 01:31 PM
There was a period there where the Blazers were playing like the 2nd best team in the west but it was brief. I think the team would have been like the Grizzlies, close but not quite good enough to go the distance.

hugepatsfan
08-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Lillard
Matthews/McCollum
Batum/Crabbe
LMA
RoLo

That's pretty ****ing good.

FlashBolt
08-11-2016, 04:25 PM
There was a period there where the Blazers were playing like the 2nd best team in the west but it was brief. I think the team would have been like the Grizzlies, close but not quite good enough to go the distance.

Lack of playoff experience unlike the Grizzlies but I always felt CJ was going to be a good player. He's become their second best player and best shooter. Would've been exciting to see LMA+CJ+Lillard+Batum give it a go once more. Letting go of Wesley was the best decision by Portland. He's been terrible since his injury.

Super.
08-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Lillard
Matthews/McCollum
Batum/Crabbe
LMA
RoLo

Wes was pretty bad coming off that injury this year, so he definitely would have been a bench guy, but holy hell this team would have been nasty

aman_13
08-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Very good.

Chronz
08-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Lillard
Matthews/McCollum
Batum/Crabbe
LMA
RoLo

Agreed, I think most underrate how ****ing good they would be.