PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys call hand checking?

Chronz
08-10-2016, 03:26 AM
OK so I've been trying to get back in shape and been playing ball pretty regularly at the park and Im seeing these new cats come bye. I've been teammates and rivals with a few of them. I even almost got into a semi-scuffle with some guy who thought I was being overly physical. So I've noticed a trend, these guys are putting the biggest, often times their slowest player on me, but they are handchecking me like crazy and I simply cant blow by them. Maybe Im just out of shape but this is aint basketball Im playing anymore. I want to call foul but I never have before and if they play that way so can I. And I have, but its a weird type of defense I've never really relied on.

On a scale of 1-10, how ***** is it to call those fouls if its all fair game? Keep in mind the courts I play on are extremely fresh and there is like zero traction, meaning if you go all out you're likely to slip. These guys are handchecking me on a slippery court, am I wrong for thinking thats BS?

Corey
08-10-2016, 04:57 AM
I would never call a hand check unless I got hacked and turned it over or hacked on a pass. If it doesn't **** me up, I wont complain

KnicksorBust
08-10-2016, 06:14 AM
I am with Corey here. Unless you are getting hacked on a shot or pass you just play. Tbh I would make up for it by just setting a ton of illegal screens off the ball to set up your teammates. Draymond Green style.

The only other option would beflipping a **** and yelling like a crazy person "STOP ****ING TOUCHING ME!" at the beginning of the game.

eso
08-10-2016, 06:40 AM
No blood, no foul..

Jeffy25
08-10-2016, 07:31 AM
Some physical street ball is always okay.

Unless contact makes you lose the ball or messes up a shot, you can't call foul (imo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Htownballa1622
08-10-2016, 09:24 AM
I semi agree with the guys above. My difference is that I'd force the issue. I'd jab and then try to beat them to the cup and if I didn't, I'd call them out if they were hand checking.

"You can't stay in front of me so you have to hug me?" Something to that effect.

I'm all for physical play but if someone knows they can't hold you and they're just being cheap by LITERALLY holding you or hand checking, then that's lame.

I rely a lot on a quick first step. If I don't get by my guy, I may hit him with a crossover. If that doesn't work I should give the ball up because this dude is moving his feet or he's literally groping me to the basket.

Get's dicey though, because some ppl don't like to be called out for their BS(even when they're wrong).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQwQrLHGaCE

Monta is beast
08-10-2016, 09:39 AM
I only call hand checks of i get forced out or get pushed while im shooting. If your just going 1 on 1 you cant call that.

Tony_Starks
08-10-2016, 09:54 AM
Slap their hand away.

Jewelz0376
08-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Yea the only fouls that should be called are shooting fouls. No hand checks, moving screens, off ball fouls, taking charges, etc. Calling anything other than shooting fouls is corny to me.

Hawkeye15
08-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Unless they are creating a very obvious physical advantage by re-directing me with their arm, I am not calling anything. If you can't get past a guy with his hand on you, then play tennis.

heattiltheend94
08-10-2016, 11:39 AM
If someone hand checks me or I'm posting someone up and they have their hands on my back/locked arm, I will generally slap it away and tell them to play actual defense. It usually takes them by surprise and generally do not do it again. But to call the foul and stop the ball, nah

jerellh528
08-10-2016, 12:47 PM
I never call anything unless there's a foul so obvious that basically everyone playing can hear the smack and basically call it for me, and that's only when shooting. I would never call handchecking, ever.

Chronz
08-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Hope hes there tonight, Im ready for this mother****er. Skipping my midday beer today

Hawkeye15
08-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Hope hes there tonight, Im ready for this mother****er. Skipping my midday beer today

answer your thread like this......

does your guy ever call you for offensive foul?

Chronz
08-10-2016, 01:24 PM
answer your thread like this......

does your guy ever call you for offensive foul?

That sucks. Theres only so much I can do physically here, Im no stud and the guy is like 3 inches taller and hes got what looks to be 20lbs on me. Hes a better shooter than me too so when Im forced into picking him up in transition the guy just gets to his spot and shoots over me. He really lit me up yesterday but I had played 4 in a row by that point so Im hoping I can do better. I also sipped on some chardonnay like an hour before the game that didn't help....

I dont know, Im making all these excuses but I didn't need them before, Im either slipping or just way more out of shape than I thought but I think I have him figured. Just gotta dribble back, space him out and just run around him, aint no way you can arm bar me if I stop relying on the triple threat stance. I never adjusted and just kept trying to beat him at his own physical game. Hes gonna win that battle too often in my current state. Will give the details tonight, getting my bball mixes queued up.

Tony_Starks
08-10-2016, 02:17 PM
No booze before the game, you're not Ron Artest!

McAllen Tx
08-10-2016, 02:23 PM
Have you tried blowing in his ear?

NYKnickFanatic
08-10-2016, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't call foul on a hand check, but I would keep smacking his hand off me until he gets the message.

Usually after a few good smacks, they get the idea.

Tony_Starks
08-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Side note, can you believe Magic played in the hand check era aginst pgs quicker and half his size and STILL wasn't getting ripped?

That's what you call a handle!

Hawkeye15
08-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Side note, can you believe Magic played in the hand check era aginst pgs quicker and half his size and STILL wasn't getting ripped?

cause he dribbled the ball like 6 feet away while pinning them haha

Chronz
08-10-2016, 04:15 PM

I always wondered what Magic would look like today but I doubt he could get away with being a primary PG nowadays mostly cuz its so taxing and unnecessary more than his inability to do so but also cuz I think it would be harder for him to defend them today. Cooper really took the load off him against the quick midgets

I think he plays more like he did to begin and end his career than his best days, more of a PointForward. If you look at some of his Finals, there are like practically zero PnR ran and its a PnR league today. I would love to see him post up PG's if teams would really defend him that way. I always thought putting a swing on him was the best bet, its what the Rockets did with their Point-Forward type and its what Phil did with MJ/Pip.
James Worthy being such a post threat is what helped keep alot of those guys off Magic tho.

Shlumpledink
08-10-2016, 07:22 PM
I call everything. Palming, hand checking, untucked jerseys, 8 second violations, flagrants

europagnpilgrim
08-10-2016, 08:10 PM
No, just do it on the other end and attack at will as I do on offense and use your speed if you have any to spare and if you have the size just back'em style Barkley style and score

usually where I play the defender will give you the call for the most part because they usually foul you a couple a times after you make your initial move to get a bucket

I defend with the forearm when someone is trying to back me down but for the most part nobody plays defense hardly at all they just like to chuck 3's like the current edition of the nba and trash talk like crazy

ewing
08-11-2016, 06:16 AM
No. Jesus. Stop making excuses Chronz.

Hawkeye15
08-11-2016, 09:50 AM
I call everything. Palming, hand checking, untucked jerseys, 8 second violations, flagrants

I always wanted to be that guy.

"3 seconds!", then just walk the other way, fist in the air

Animosity
08-11-2016, 12:20 PM
If they are hand checking back em down. Have a teammate come by and set a hard screen. put a few guys on their *** and they will let up. If they think they can push you around they will.

warfelg
08-11-2016, 12:21 PM
I'm "that guy". The guy that goes hard and physical that you know plays full contact sports.

One of two ways to get me to back down:
1) call me on my ****
2) be just as physical

Calling me on fouls is going to do nothing but spur me on because I know I'm in your head.

mngopher35
08-11-2016, 01:27 PM
I tend to prefer physical play so no I wouldn't call it. I would however use it as an excuse to be more aggressive defensively and expect the same lee way. The worst are the chumps who get aggressive then call everything on the other end.

Bostonjorge
08-11-2016, 05:24 PM
Everyone hand checks. Especially when you drive or guarding someone driving. It's all good as long as they don't force you out of bonds or grab you. Everyone also hits moving screens and play zone defense. You also can't call reach in or over the back.

That's what makes streetball so great.