PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gay wants into Miami

mrblisterdundee
08-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Small forward Rudy Gay wants to go to Miami (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/kings-rudy-gay-would-like-to-find-his-way-to-the-miami-heat-420988.html).

mrblisterdundee
08-08-2016, 07:38 PM
I don't think he can help Miami all that much. With Dwyane Wade gone, Miami needs to rebuild around Hassan Whiteside. Get Chris Bosh on the floor; show people he can play and be healthy; then trade him for assets. Trade Goran Dragic for assets, too. There's no point in holding on to veterans and being mediocre. Give the young guys like Tyler Johnson, Justice Winslow and Josh Richardson a bigger role.

archdevil84
08-08-2016, 07:39 PM
we already got dion waiters. no need for another bad shot selection chucker

5ass
08-08-2016, 08:58 PM
He's the Kings second best player. That doesn't say much, but I dont see them trading him unless they're blowing it up (which they should be doing).

Dade County
08-08-2016, 11:44 PM
Pat Riley has had his eye on Rudy for years now; i just dont see a need for him right now. If Miami pulls off a trade for a key player, then maybe.

Just like what Op posted, Miami should be trading are vets after Bosh proves his health & Dragic numbers look. More like suns Dragic; by playing at a faster Pace sense Wade isn't there.

kobe4thewinbang
08-09-2016, 01:48 AM
Well, instead of grumbling and saying "WTF" to the Kings front office for the whole summer, Gay is now saying what teams he wouldn't mind being traded to. We all know they want to trade him, not really sure why, but they already lost Rondo so Gay is their only asset left other than DMC. Hopefully this gets a trade done.

BKLYNpigeon
08-09-2016, 02:14 AM
who cares, Rudy Gay was Relevant 10 years ago.

GoferKing_
08-09-2016, 03:51 AM
Well, instead of grumbling and saying "WTF" to the Kings front office for the whole summer, Gay is now saying what teams he wouldn't mind being traded to. We all know they want to trade him, not really sure why, but they already lost Rondo so Gay is their only asset left other than DMC. Hopefully this gets a trade done.

This proves you know shiet about what is going on with the Kings.

MiamiBoy77
08-09-2016, 06:47 AM
The ONLY thing that makes sense to me is if the Kings are willing to take a chance on Bosh.

IndyRealist
08-09-2016, 08:27 AM
I don't think he can help Miami all that much. With Dwyane Wade gone, Miami needs to rebuild around Hassan Whiteside. Get Chris Bosh on the floor; show people he can play and be healthy; then trade him for assets. Trade Goran Dragic for assets, too. There's no point in holding on to veterans and being mediocre. Give the young guys like Tyler Johnson, Justice Winslow and Josh Richardson a bigger role.

Whiteside is 27. Tearing down the team and going with youth to win 4 years from now isn't really applicable. They're built around Dragic, Whiteside, and Winslow now. Bosh too if he can play.

da ThRONe
08-09-2016, 08:36 AM
Whiteside is 27. Tearing down the team and going with youth to win 4 years from now isn't really applicable. They're built around Dragic, Whiteside, and Winslow now. Bosh too if he can play.

Looking at that roster a rebuild makes little to no sense. Winslow while a good young player hasn't shown he can be a franchise player and they don't have a ton of future assets. A trade to get Rudy would make more sense. If Bosh can be healthy a team with Gay, Dragic, and Whiteside can make a deep playoff run. If your team is good enough for a deep playoff run then they are good enough to win a title if your can caught some lucky breaks.

kobe4thewinbang
08-09-2016, 05:20 PM
This proves you know shiet about what is going on with the Kings.And I should care to? They want to trade him. If diehard Kings fans know why, good for them. But clarity is not something expected from their organization.

TylerSL
08-09-2016, 06:52 PM
I was greatly in favor of trying to acquire him at the deadline last season. I wanted to the Heat to send Deng/McRoberts to Sacramento for Gay. Based on talent, that wouldn't be enough to typically complete a trade, but my argument was it wasn't just for talent. Rudy Gay still has two years, $27.5 million remaining on his deal whereas Deng was an expiring. The move would have freed up $7.5 million in cap for this summer by the Kings, putting them in a better position to keep Rondo. So rather than seeing who they got back it would be the Kings unloading Gay. It would have provided flexibility and he is clearly not part of their long-term plans. I think a deal to bring Rudy Gay to Miami last February would have excellent.

Unfortunately this off-season has changed plans a little bit so we should not even entertain the idea of acquiring Gay. We need to focus on the 2017 NBA draft first and foremost at this point. The only way we could reasonably match the salaries is if we swapped Dragic for Gay and there is no way that we should consider that. It's not possible to accomplish and our short-term priorities have changed. Sorry Rudy Gay, go find another team.

TylerSL
08-09-2016, 07:04 PM
Looking at that roster a rebuild makes little to no sense. Winslow while a good young player hasn't shown he can be a franchise player and they don't have a ton of future assets. A trade to get Rudy would make more sense. If Bosh can be healthy a team with Gay, Dragic, and Whiteside can make a deep playoff run. If your team is good enough for a deep playoff run then they are good enough to win a title if your can caught some lucky breaks.

First I want to say I'm convinced Chris Bosh is not coming back. Miami has had two seasons in a row derailed because of his clots and will not allow him to return unless they can be certain the clots will not come back, which they will never be certain they won't. He believes he can play and will take his case to the NBAPA and they may have a hearing on it, but nobody can force the Heat to play him when there is a serious concern about his health. That said, we are not going to go through a years-long rebuilding project but we are going to take a step back this season. We need to get a high pick, and then make a terrific pick, in the 2017 draft as well as have as much cap space as possible for next summer. Acquiring a guy like Gay right now negatively affects both of those possibilities. What would help us the most long term is if we traded Dragic, who is on a cheap contract considering the market going forward, mid season and lose about 55 games this year. That would give us $45-$50 million in cap next summer and a high pick in the draft. So for 2016-17 things don't look so good, but this can be a quick fix. Short term solutions won't help us though, and that is all Rudy Gay would be.

da ThRONe
08-10-2016, 12:04 PM
First I want to say I'm convinced Chris Bosh is not coming back. Miami has had two seasons in a row derailed because of his clots and will not allow him to return unless they can be certain the clots will not come back, which they will never be certain they won't. He believes he can play and will take his case to the NBAPA and they may have a hearing on it, but nobody can force the Heat to play him when there is a serious concern about his health. That said, we are not going to go through a years-long rebuilding project but we are going to take a step back this season. We need to get a high pick, and then make a terrific pick, in the 2017 draft as well as have as much cap space as possible for next summer. Acquiring a guy like Gay right now negatively affects both of those possibilities. What would help us the most long term is if we traded Dragic, who is on a cheap contract considering the market going forward, mid season and lose about 55 games this year. That would give us $45-$50 million in cap next summer and a high pick in the draft. So for 2016-17 things don't look so good, but this can be a quick fix. Short term solutions won't help us though, and that is all Rudy Gay would be.

It's going to be hard for you guys to be bottom 5-7 team even without Bosh. I guess if you are selling Dragic it more likely, but then you might as well go ahead and trade Whiteside also. No need in kedoing him if the plan is to draft your next star.

TylerSL
08-10-2016, 01:40 PM
It's going to be hard for you guys to be bottom 5-7 team even without Bosh. I guess if you are selling Dragic it more likely, but then you might as well go ahead and trade Whiteside also. No need in kedoing him if the plan is to draft your next star.

As I said this can be a quick fix so there is no need to trade Hassan. We can be a playoff team or better as soon as 2017-18 and Whiteside will still have 3 years left under contract. If we had to completely start over I would agree but we shouldn't.

mrblisterdundee
08-10-2016, 02:07 PM

Tearing it down is better than going forward with that core and being a fourth banana in the east after Cleveland, Boston and Atlanta. And that's assuming that Bosh comes back, and that Indiana and Chicago aren't also better than Miami.

IndyRealist
08-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Tearing it down is better than going forward with that core and being a fourth banana in the east after Cleveland, Boston and Atlanta. And that's assuming that Bosh comes back, and that Indiana and Chicago aren't also better than Miami.

No one jumps from worst team in the league to best. You have to go through the steps in between to get there. They're an in between team right now, and will get much further sooner by looking for opportunities in trade and free agency to improve, rather than burning it to ashes and starting over.

The "treadmill of mediocrity" is a completely unproven notion, picked up and dessiminated by the media. You have to be good before you can be great.

Vee-Rex
08-10-2016, 04:28 PM
No one jumps from worst team in the league to best.

Boston pretty much did it. 06-07 had the 2nd worst record in the league only by 2 games and won a league-best 66 games the next year.

IndyRealist
08-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Boston pretty much did it. 06-07 had the 2nd worst record in the league only by 2 games and won a league-best 66 games the next year.

I'll concede that. Doesn't that make them the exception that proves the rule, though?

Wade n Fade
08-11-2016, 12:01 AM
I am no fan of adding Rudy Gay. He is absolutely atrocious for team chemistry. Teams get better by getting rid of him. Saw enough of him in Toronto. No thanks.

Dade County
08-11-2016, 03:39 AM
I am no fan of adding Rudy Gay. He is absolutely atrocious for team chemistry. Teams get better by getting rid of him. Saw enough of him in Toronto. No thanks.

I think if he plays the stretch 4 position he can give us more value than Deng did.

MonroeFAN
08-12-2016, 11:24 AM
This proves you know shiet about what is going on with the Kings.

No one cares about knowing what is going on with the Kings.

JLynn943
08-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Rudy Gay is a much better player than he was in Toronto and is better than people give him credit for. This past year he was okay (but the Karl situation was a mess, and Rondo didn't do much for Rudy), but he played very well for us two years ago.

I think he's worth Dragic in a trade. Dragic hasn't set the world on fire in a while. Maybe Wade being gone helps him, but maybe he's not that player anymore. He's not young, and I think he's being overvalued just because of where he is. Maybe you add players to help the trade along, but Gay for Dragic is the baseline that has to be there for a trade to happen if I'm Vlade.

JLynn943
08-12-2016, 12:39 PM
No one cares about knowing what is going on with the Kings.

Well, when talking about a player's value and talking about trading that payer, it's relevant. People who don't follow how Rudy is doing have worthless opinions (aka, this thread).

Wade n Fade
08-12-2016, 12:43 PM
I think if he plays the stretch 4 position he can give us more value than Deng did.

Doubt it. Deng is one of the most consummate professionals in the modern day. D-Wade called him one of his best teammates ever. Deng defends very well. He can provide occasional outside shooting. People thought he was done for after his first season in Miami. When he switched to the four, he showed tremendous versatility and heart. Deng is also good at slashing to the basket. Given all that happened with his injury issues and his medical scare with the Bulls, he has preserved into getting himself a good contract with the LA Lakers. I am not saying the merits of the signing, rather he's getting paid well enough after some injury issues and rejuvenating his career.

Meanwhile, Rudy Gay has been a team chemistry problem in Memphis, Toronto, and Sacramento. He cannot hit much of an outside jumper. Rudy also doesn't play too much D. You're asking him to do way too much outside of his game to be more valuable than Loul Deng. If we had the space, Deng would be back in a Heat uniform. After his two year stint, he is one of my favorite Heat players from the last 5 seasons.