PDA

View Full Version : Odds on MVP

mrblisterdundee
08-07-2016, 01:48 AM
Bovada released its MVP odds (http://cavaliers.247sports.com/Gallery/Bovada-releases-their-2016-17-NBA-MVP-odds-46591847) a couple days ago. Here are the top 10.

1. Stephen Curry
2. LeBron James
3. Russell Westbrook
4. Kevin Durant
5. Anthony Davis
6. James Harden
7. Kawhi Leonard
8. Paul George
9. Blake Griffin
10. Damian Lillard

What are your thoughts on this coming season's MVP race?

Bostonjorge
08-07-2016, 03:00 AM
It's already been set this offseason. Durant vs Westbrook. May the best man win.

lol, please
08-07-2016, 03:02 AM
Bovada released its MVP odds (http://cavaliers.247sports.com/Gallery/Bovada-releases-their-2016-17-NBA-MVP-odds-46591847) a couple days ago. Here are the top 10.

1. Stephen Curry
2. LeBron James
3. Russell Westbrook
4. Kevin Durant
5. Anthony Davis
6. James Harden
7. Kawhi Leonard
8. Paul George
9. Blake Griffin
10. Damian Lillard

What are your thoughts on this coming season's MVP race?

I'd switch Lebron with Durant but I like that list. Might swap Griffin and Lillard too. Then it's perfect.

Wade would be my 11, and would move into the top 10 if any of these guys got injured.

Sly Guy
08-07-2016, 08:45 AM
I think westy's gonna get it. He's the kinda guy with a chip on his shoulder and that chip is gonna be as wide as the grand canyon next year. He's gonna have a monster season

breakbad
08-07-2016, 12:08 PM
I think Durant moving to GS actually HELPS LeBron in this ONE way: nobody is going to consider his team around him too talented for him to win the MVP anymore. Everyone is going to look at Love and Kyrie as a poor man's supporting compared to the Warriors, lmao, and rightfully so.

I don't think there is a single way anyone on the Warriors wins an MVP while this cast is together. It was already iffy giving it to Curry when you could have made REALLY solid arguments that both Draymond AND Klay are just as valuable, but you could eventually take comfort is telling yourself they wouldn't be what they are if it weren't for all the attention Curry gets and give it to him. But neither of them are on Durant's planet. The only times the Russ and KD duo were ever really considered to have legit chances at the MVP were when one of them were hurt and the other carried the team putting up insane numbers. If Durant couldn't win it with Westbrook and even Ibaka taking votes/credit from him some years, then there is NO way he can get it with all these all-world players around him. And the same argument goes against Curry getting another one.

It has pretty much been determined that they try to come up with the best balance between how valuable the player is while STILL being on one of the better teams, preferably the best.

So I am going to say the MVP will have to be on a top three seed in whatever Conference he's in. The number one team in the league who on a regular team has three or maybe even four potential MVPs is disqualified, so that opens it up for a lot of guys who haven't been talked about in this race yet. But with that said I still think LeBron should be the favorite. It just seems like the perfect storm for him when it comes to the MVP, but it's the total opposite with his hopes of getting another ring any time soon.

I would say it's safe to assume the Spurs will still be one of the top three in the West, and I'll say both LeMarcus and Leonard gets votes.

I will be rooting for Westbrook to win it, but I seriously doubt he gets the Thunder to a top three seed. I'll go ahead and say the Clippers are going to be the other member of the top three for the west, and they also will have two guys, maybe three, who gets votes.

I think you may have to be in the top two in the East, since it isn't as strong. I have no idea who is gonna be the team to rise up as the main threat to the Cavs for the East. It was Toronto last year, even though they weren't as good as their record indicated. I will say they won't be in the top two in the East next year.

The Bulls, Knicks and Pacers all seem to have really improved. I don't think the Knicks improved enough to go from non-playoffs to one of the top teams in the Conference, so I'll just say that the Bulls and Pacers are the other two teams in the top three in the East.

So, I'm going to say the MVP will have to come from one of: Spurs, Clips, Cavs, Bulls or Pacers. Not including the Warriors.
And I think they try to give it to the player who most single-handedly carried his team, but it has to be one of the top teams. I will eliminate the Clips and Bulls seeing as they both have two guys who you really can't tell which is more Valuable. The Spurs are usually way too teamwork oriented to have the MVP, BUT I think this year Kawhi will prove himself to be the true number 1 to LeMarcus' number 2. Same goes for George to Teague's number 2.

So, after all that, here's how I'd rank the odds for next season:
1. LeBron
2. George
3. Kawhi
- and I think the MVP is really chosen from only the top three guys, four in a really good year.
so, a ways away from the top three:
4. Westbrook - because even though he ins't on one of the best teams, he carried his the most
5. Curry - cause it'll be hard to knock him out of the top five after making him the first ever unanimous
6. Jimmy Butler
7. KD
9. CP3 or Blake, whichever has the better year
10. and Klay or Draymond, whichever has the better year. Because they're going to be so dominate, voters will feel almost obligated to make all four of them All Star's, and having at least three of em in the top ten for MVP voting.

And since I don't want LeBron to win ANOTHER one, I'll say George continues to get better the further he gets away from his horrible injury, and his team will rise back up with him taking another step up the latter as a great player and his supporting cast being much improved. If they were LeBron's biggest threat with Hil, Lance, West and Hibbert around a younger PG, then I think they can become that again with PG getting better and Teague, Jefferson, Young, Ellis and Turner as his supporting cast.

TrueFan420
08-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Stage has been set... Derek Fisher wins the MVP and becomes the first unretired player and retired coach to win the award.

Scoots
08-07-2016, 02:09 PM
The only way Curry wins it is if he does what he did last year and gets a LOT better AGAIN. If he hits 500 3s and shoots a 50/50/90 and the Warriors have the best record in the NBA he probably gets it.

KnickNyKnick
08-07-2016, 02:18 PM
I think Westbrook takes MVP this year. the floor is all his now.

LA_Raiders
08-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Westbrick will take it if they make the poffs.

ManningToTyree
08-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Westbrook
Lebron
Leonard
Curry/Durant

Something like that for top 5. Tempted to put Paul George in there

aman_13
08-07-2016, 04:26 PM
I think it's going to be between LeBron and Westbrook.

Sportsguy9695
08-07-2016, 04:29 PM
i see it being between LeBron and Durant

FlashBolt
08-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Durant will have a difficult time getting votes. I mean they won 73 games without him so it's tough to find how much more value he can contribute to that team.

europagnpilgrim
08-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Lebron or Harden will win MVP, paced by KD/Curry and others, it also depends on how serious Lebron takes the reg. season with this being his 13/14th season coming, if he coasts then that would give a George/Kawhi type of player more of a higher chance

Curry will take less shots being he is the PG of the team and he will have Klay/Durant/Green to feed at his disposal, I can see Curry taking a big step toward 10+ dimes this year with those weapons to feed and he wont get his 30ppg like last season but I can see around his career PPG but upping his assist total drastically

europagnpilgrim
08-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Durant will have a difficult time getting votes. I mean they won 73 games without him so it's tough to find how much more value he can contribute to that team.

True, only way he can garner serious MVP numbers is he he posts 60/60/90 type numbers and they start off the season going like 50/55-1 record, then he would get some serious consideration

Scoots
08-07-2016, 06:25 PM
The Warriors could do enough to get KD and Curry in contention ... I could see Green getting his shots cut in half and his assists go up 50% just because KD can finish SO MUCH BETTER in the paint than anyone on the Warriors last year (not named Curry).

I don't think LeBron cares enough to do it in the regular season.

Westbrook's efficiency may fall off now ... and it's going to take some time to adjust to the new team makeup. It will be interesting to see how the team reacts to all the changes.

Harden could average 35ppg with D'Antoni.

Wide open among the contenders until mid-season at the earliest.

AllBall
08-07-2016, 09:18 PM
1. Westbrook
2. LeBron
3. Paul George

tredigs
08-08-2016, 01:21 AM
True, only way he can garner serious MVP numbers is he he posts 60/60/90 type numbers and they start off the season going like 50/55-1 record, then he would get some serious consideration

This post (and Flashbolt's equally stupid post preceding it) are what is so great/pathetic about the general consensus of a sports forum.

I have never seen a prior post of yours that I can recall, but assuming you are being serious (you could totally be having fun/trolling and if so I my bad), REALLY?.

You're telling me that it would take not only the most efficient scoring season of all time, but MULTITUDES OF DIFFICULTY greater than the greatest scoring seasons of all time to "get some serious consideration".

Hahahahah.

You guys. Enjoy the season boys. And enjoy the dynasty.

More-Than-Most
08-08-2016, 01:47 AM
This post (and Flashbolt's equally stupid post preceding it) are what is so great/pathetic about the general consensus of a sports forum.

I have never seen a prior post of yours that I can recall, but assuming you are being serious (you could totally be having fun/trolling and if so I my bad), REALLY?.

You're telling me that it would take not only the most efficient scoring season of all time, but MULTITUDES OF DIFFICULTY greater than the greatest scoring seasons of all time to "get some serious consideration".

Hahahahah.

Cant even be mad at you this time...Curry 60/60/90 55-1 team record gets him consideration lol... Man.

Anywho my top 5

Harden
Westy
Leonard
Curry
Lebron

I hate harden but his offensive out put will likely get him the nod if they make the playoffs.

More-Than-Most
08-08-2016, 01:49 AM
Lol 60/60/90 for a PG might I add... That really would be the GOAT type season for any PG ever when you factor in currys game and how he would likely avg 26/8/5 as well... so 26/8/5 with 60/60/90 O.O

Come on guys.

lol, please
08-08-2016, 01:54 AM

Hahahahah.

Well said.

Tony_Starks
08-08-2016, 09:44 AM

Pure comedy, thanks man I needed that!

Anyway it will more than likely boil down to Westbrook vs KD.

Westbrook is going to probably put up some ridiculous numbers on a mediocre team but no doubt KD will probably have a very efficient season with all the open looks he's going to get.

If the league follows the best player on the best team recipe it's been following then it's all KD, BUT if Russ can get OKC to seriously overachieve I believe that will give them enough leeway to justify going against the grain and giving it to him.

Tony_Starks
08-08-2016, 09:54 AM
The Warriors could do enough to get KD and Curry in contention ... I could see Green getting his shots cut in half and his assists go up 50% just because KD can finish SO MUCH BETTER in the paint than anyone on the Warriors last year (not named Curry).

I don't think LeBron cares enough to do it in the regular season.

Westbrook's efficiency may fall off now ... and it's going to take some time to adjust to the new team makeup. It will be interesting to see how the team reacts to all the changes.

Harden could average 35ppg with D'Antoni.

Wide open among the contenders until mid-season at the earliest.

Honestly even without KD I don't think Curry would've got it this year. MVP is very media influenced and they are not letting him get 3 straight, a lot of people still feel a certain kind of way about him being unanimous last season.

On the court I look for him to probably facilitate a little more this season anyway, probably have a Steve Nash like season. Modest points, high assist, super efficient shooting.

FlashBolt
08-08-2016, 04:39 PM

Hahahahah.

It's funny because you have had an awful reputation since your hiatus from PSD. Just pure biased posts from you. Just FYI, YOU don't VOTE for the MVP. Voters who will be selected are already upset with Durant leaving just like they were with LeBron leaving. Did you think that the Warriors management vote for the MVP or what?

Scoots
08-08-2016, 07:53 PM
It's funny because you have had an awful reputation since your hiatus from PSD. Just pure biased posts from you. Just FYI, YOU don't VOTE for the MVP. Voters who will be selected are already upset with Durant leaving just like they were with LeBron leaving. Did you think that the Warriors management vote for the MVP or what?

I doubt the voters will be too swayed by the off-season.

JasonJohnHorn
08-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Westbrook is going to have a chance to put up crazy numbers, but it will depend on how early he starts, and how well his team does. If he's the favorite for the first half of the season, I think it's less likely, because the voters tend to want to do something new.

Plus, if his team is just first-round fodder, nobody is going to be impressed. It'll be like T-Mac in Orlando.

If the Cavs win 60 games and LBJ's TS%/3pt% go back up, I'd say he'd be the favorite.

And if Leonard continue to play well and the Spurs are well ahead of the Thunder, he'd have a shot at out doing Westy. Same could be said for Paul George if the Pacers win 55+ games (though I don't think that is likely).

The only two guys I don't think have a shot is KD and Curry, because they will cancel each other out, like LBJ and Wade in LBJ's first season in Miami, and Shaq/Kobe. Unless they break the regular-season record for wins again.

JasonJohnHorn
08-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Westbrook is going to have a chance to put up crazy numbers, but it will depend on how early he starts, and how well his team does. If he's the favorite for the first half of the season, I think it's less likely, because the voters tend to want to do something new.

Plus, if his team is just first-round fodder, nobody is going to be impressed. It'll be like T-Mac in Orlando.

If the Cavs win 60 games and LBJ's TS%/3pt% go back up, I'd say he'd be the favorite.

And if Leonard continue to play well and the Spurs are well ahead of the Thunder, he'd have a shot at out doing Westy. Same could be said for Paul George if the Pacers win 55+ games (though I don't think that is likely).

The only two guys I don't think have a shot is KD and Curry, because they will cancel each other out, like LBJ and Wade in LBJ's first season in Miami, and Shaq/Kobe. Unless they break the regular-season record for wins again.

Of course, if a team like the T-Wolves or Pelicans have a surprise season, and LAT or Unibrow have stand out seasons, they could pull a D-Rose.

TheMightyHumph
08-08-2016, 10:56 PM
Jeremy Lin

MTar786
08-10-2016, 08:27 PM
i think its anyones this year.. but i would have to say lebron most likely because curry and durant wont have as good looking numbers now. Westbrooks team may not win enough games, or else I would have said him. I believe westbrook will have the best stats.. But I think this may be lebrons last mvp season.