PDA

View Full Version : Thunder and Russell Westbrook agree to new three-year, $85.7M contract

Stunner
08-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Per our report on Westbrook/OKC discussions, there's significant momentum toward a 3-year, $85M agreement - with player option for 2018-'19

Via Woj

https://twitter.com/wojverticalnba/status/761009635956588544

Tony_Starks
08-03-2016, 09:33 PM
Doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if he wants to stay in OKC he stands to lose a lot of money with an extension.

If anything he would just op out next summer and sign a new deal with OKC if he still wants to stay...

Stunner
08-03-2016, 09:39 PM
Doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if he wants to stay in OKC he stands to lose a lot of money with an extension.

If anything he would just op out next summer and sign a new deal with OKC if he still wants to stay...

Makes sense if he wants a contract that allows help to come in next year to help him win

Bostonjorge
08-03-2016, 09:53 PM
It's smoke screens. Okc spreading rumors to get back as much as they can in a trade before he leaves next year and they get nothing. Westbrook has had one foot out the door for a while now.

ISIAH_THOMAS
08-03-2016, 09:53 PM
looks like their plan is to get Blake Griffin in FA next year.

Tony_Starks
08-03-2016, 10:17 PM
It's smoke screens. Okc spreading rumors to get back as much as they can in a trade before he leaves next year and they get nothing. Westbrook has had one foot out the door for a while now.

Pretty much. A little misdirection.

TheMightyHumph
08-03-2016, 10:25 PM

Misdirection? Explain that to me.

Stunner
08-03-2016, 10:29 PM
So y'all calling Wojo a liar ?

Rivera
08-03-2016, 10:33 PM

Nope. No one implied that. That information he received I believe. Because of his reputation. That doesn't mean that information he was given was used by that team as leverage (a smoke screen)knowing wojo is a reliable source hoping for other teams to offer up more for Westbrook

kobe4thewinbang
08-03-2016, 10:39 PM
I believe in Woj, who is arguably the best reporter today with sources from the Netherrealm or something with how fast and accurate he is, but anyway...Westbrook should stay in OKC. They have a good team. Who else is there? The Lakers? Seriously? Why would Westbrook want to go to LA (oh, it's his home huh?) to play with other point guards?

OKC is HIS team now and he's set to average a triple-double. If Oladipo develops or Adams/Kanter have a stronger impact, look out...and this makes sense that he would want to kill the drama sooner rather than later, unlike Durant or Dwight.

Stunner
08-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Everyone running with it now

Stunner
08-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Nope. No one implied that. That information he received I believe. Because of his reputation. That doesn't mean that information he was given was used by that team as leverage (a smoke screen)knowing wojo is a reliable source hoping for other teams to offer up more for Westbrook

It's still Wojo

LA_Raiders
08-03-2016, 11:07 PM
I doubt it, but if it is true, that's more than what KD is making.

Htownballa1622
08-03-2016, 11:09 PM
Friend of my friend works for okc. Said deal was done.

Saddletramp
08-04-2016, 12:25 AM
Wonder if this would have happened if KD re-signed? By that I mean I wonder if Westbrook is trying to one up KD by not running away from what they've built and also I wonder if RWB would have wanted to stay if KD stayed?

My opinion on these guys both totally flipped in the last month.

Chronz
08-04-2016, 12:31 AM
LOL, does this mean there will be a RWB zone at that dudes class room.

For the uninformed, there is a no KD class room at this teachers class room where no chicken **** is allowed.

Scoots
08-04-2016, 12:32 AM

I don't think he loses money. And extra $8M this year and the contract runs out right in time for his 10th year and the big bump in max salary.

Stunner
08-04-2016, 12:40 AM
They agreed in principle

Giannis94
08-04-2016, 12:40 AM

Spot on. PSD Mod team is accepting applicants. PM the mods if interested.

Stunner
08-04-2016, 12:41 AM
Sources: Russell Westbrook is flying to Oklahoma City on Thursday morning, planning to sign a three-year, $85M-plus contract renegotiation.

Via Woj

chi-townlove1
08-04-2016, 12:41 AM
Deal practically done. Wow that's a *** ton of money. But he's a hell of a player so I guess great for him

ChI_ShIzzLe
08-04-2016, 12:42 AM
Big win for OKC. Instead of becoming the Cavs in 2010, they will now stay competitive and hope to land a big FA.

ChI_ShIzzLe
08-04-2016, 12:44 AM
Oh and get that MVP trophy ready for him as well cuz we're about to see some stats from one single player that we haven't seen before. Dude is gonna go ape ****.

Wade n Fade
08-04-2016, 12:55 AM
I think this boosts his trade value. A somewhat more affordable contract vs Conley's max and future max deals. Why should Boston trade a ton of assets without reassurance? Same with Miami, LAL, Philly, Minny, or other teams. Plus, Westbrook is an enigma. His on the court play might startle future teammates because of his inability to defer more to other players that can shoot better. If I played with an athletic 3 who can score at will from any part of the floor, I would want to get him the ball more, especially when I am player that cannot shoot the three well enough. Hero ball isn't a good team game element.

Giannis94
08-04-2016, 12:58 AM
Oh and get that MVP trophy ready for him as well cuz we're about to see some stats from one single player that we haven't seen before. Dude is gonna go ape ****.

You're talking about Giannis, right?

More-Than-Most
08-04-2016, 01:06 AM
Laker fans are crushed... Holy **** I thought he would be a laker or a heat

lakerfan85
08-04-2016, 01:09 AM
I'm glad he stayed.. I'm tired of all these stars jumping around..

More-Than-Most
08-04-2016, 01:16 AM
Welp Westy------------>Durant forever in my book. This takes some massive balls.

BKLYNpigeon
08-04-2016, 01:26 AM
This actually makes Westbrook more valuable in Trades...

More-Than-Most
08-04-2016, 01:35 AM
This actually makes Westbrook more valuable in Trades...

No franchise would do that and he would be stupid to sign a deal without making sure that is not the case and trading him would be so beyond moronic because you cant get equal value for a top 3-4 player in basketball at his age with his skillset

WaDe03
08-04-2016, 01:48 AM
In before he averages 35-12-12 and everyone is mad because he only shot 45%.

HandsOnTheWheel
08-04-2016, 02:46 AM
Surprised he didn't get more.

Lakers + Giants
08-04-2016, 02:49 AM

he doesn't even fit our plans tho. Makes no sense to give up our whole team/future for him.

Also, he wasn't going to sign with us via FA..lmao. I heard the same **** about how Love to LA was guaranteed cuz he was from LA..

Dade County
08-04-2016, 02:50 AM

This...

They want teams to make serious trade offers. West might help them pull it off too lol

If he stays in OKC good for them. But looking at the big picture, no one is beating GS (if they are healthy).

jerellh528
08-04-2016, 04:08 AM

No, we're not lol

europagnpilgrim
08-04-2016, 04:15 AM

40+ Points and Rebounds in a game

Wilt Chamberlain is the only player to record a quadruple double double (40+ points and rebounds) in an NBA game. He did it not once or twice but five times in his career.

Double Triple Double

In 1968, Wilt Chamberlian achieved a unique feat when he put up 22 points, 25 rebounds and 21 assists in game and became the first player to hit double triple double. Since then, no one has been able to achieve this feat again.(No telling how many blocks he had in this game to go along with that absurd DTD)

30+ points and 20+ rebounds in rookie season

No player had experienced more satisfying rookie season than Wilt Chamberlain. He averaged 37 points per game and 27 rebounds per game in the first season of his career.

Coming into the NBA and averaging 30+ points and 20+ rebounds, is not a cakewake and surely this record will remain intact for a long period of time

50.4 average in a season

In 1961-62 season Wilt Chamberlain scored 4,029 points with an average of 50.4 ppg which is the highest single season average in NBA. The closest to give it a shot was the Wilt Chamberlian himself who averaged 44.8 next season.

100 points in a game

On March 2, 1962, Wilt scored 100 points against the New York Knicks and became the only player to reach century mark in a single game

I highly doubt we will ever see these stats again from one single player, I mean that sincerely

naps
08-04-2016, 04:30 AM

Just a couple of wishful Lakers fans. You know how they react every time they see superstars spurn them. Must be tough.

naps
08-04-2016, 04:37 AM
Deal practically done. Wow that's a *** ton of money. But he's a hell of a player so I guess great for him

What? That's not ton of money if you think Mike freaking Conley will be making $31 mill a year. Or Demar Derozan $30 mill a year. Westbrook will still be underpaid in current market. Now of course he will get his due in 2 years when he will be finishing his 10th year.

More-Than-Most
08-04-2016, 05:29 AM
No, we're not lol

Not you. A good bit of your people were trying to trade everything for him or were counting on him signing and I was legit 1 of them. I thought he would go to LA or the heat... I figured the lakers would trade for cousins and then sign Westy as a free agent.

More-Than-Most
08-04-2016, 05:31 AM
Yooooooooooooo Westy is now a god in OKC... Really think about it... Everyone had this dude leaving or the team trading him and their fans were destroyed from the Durant ***** move... With all that on their plates he comes out and puts his dick on the table and says I am staying.... ****ing Boss yo.

ewing
08-04-2016, 06:25 AM
Russ is my favorite player in the league.

Heediot
08-04-2016, 06:28 AM
Big props to Westy for this. They still have assets to upgrade the 3 or 4 in the starting lineup.

You still have Payne, Sabonis and Picks to dangle.

PhillyFaninLA
08-04-2016, 06:35 AM

Not everyone is completely greedy and wants to milk things dry....he gives him a team a chance to add players and be where he wants to.

He is far from the first player to leave money on the table for sake of the team.

If this was a Laker you would say how great of guy he is how cool it is to leave money on the table.

Heediot
08-04-2016, 06:40 AM
He isn't leaving money on the table. His salary this year gets a big bump, he gets an extra 8.7 million this year from 18.7 to 26.5 then he gets the salary bumps the following two years. They had the cap to restructure his contract after letting Waiters go. If this was 87.5 after this year then he would have left money on the table. It was more of a restructure and small extension vs. just an additional 3 year extension.

To add: The third year is a player option. So this is basically a one year extension plus the big boost in salary this year. He will definitely opt out in 2018, unless he has a serious injury in 2017-18.

kobe4thewinbang
08-04-2016, 07:06 AM
Class A move by Westbrook. Whole OKC fanbase collectively sighed with relief, and now the season will vegin without the "will he or won't he" worry. Bravo, OKC!

Burkey3472
08-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Well, I guess Westbrook wanted to stay in OKC all along. I had a funny feeling he'd stay after he got so mad at Durant for leaving (why would he get that mad if he was planning on bolting the next year). Hopefully they can retool and be competing for a title in a few years.

TheDish87
08-04-2016, 08:34 AM

how does that crow taste?

nycericanguy
08-04-2016, 08:57 AM
If you look at it though, its really only 1 extra year added on... 2018-19 in a player option.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 09:10 AM
Wowzers. Well he's definitely cut from a different cloth than KD and Bron.

Props to him. Wanted to see him in purple and gold of course but I can't be mad at him for accepting that challenge and not running away.

ManRam
08-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Russ is the god damn best :clap:

Glad my long allegiance to him over KD paid off!

RLundi
08-04-2016, 09:36 AM
I'm wondering if he pulled a Dwight and only signed an extension to appear more attractive in trade talks. No one was trading with OKC knowing Westy only had a year left on his contract. Now that he has at least 2 though, I'd think the offers would flood in. Perhaps OKC and Westy planned this recently.

I only hope OKC doesn't go back on its word to trade Westbrook once he signed like Orlando went back on its word to trade Dwight once he signed.

cmellofan15
08-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Seems like he took the easy way out to me. The harder route would have been going to the team that just beat and is projected to win 83 games next year. That takes balls

LMAO

Yanks All Day
08-04-2016, 10:33 AM
He took a ton of money to stay on a top-3 Western Conference team with a young core and room to sign a big free agent next year.

That's not a hard decision.

nycericanguy
08-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Also with this deal WB can opt out in 2018 and be eligible for the 10 year SUPERMAX.

Good deal for him, he gets a pay raise from $18m to 26m this year, $30m the following year, and then he can opt out and get the 10 year vet max.

Hawkeye15
08-04-2016, 11:17 AM
No franchise would do that and he would be stupid to sign a deal without making sure that is not the case and trading him would be so beyond moronic because you cant get equal value for a top 3-4 player in basketball at his age with his skillset

His trade value did increase though. It doesn't mean OKC has any plans on trading him however.

Chronz
08-04-2016, 11:21 AM

Props to him. Wanted to see him in purple and gold of course but I can't be mad at him for accepting that challenge and not running away.

And Magic+Kobe. Truly one of a kind

Hawkeye15
08-04-2016, 11:23 AM
He took a ton of money to stay on a top-3 Western Conference team with a young core and room to sign a big free agent next year.

OKC would need to drop salary to create room for anyone of consequence next summer.

Hawkeye15
08-04-2016, 11:24 AM

Didn't Shaq leave Orlando in free agency? Didn't Kareem force a trade?

You are such a special person when you stick with a team that gives you chip help the majority of your career.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 11:30 AM

I know you enjoy indulging in the land of woulda coulda but the fact remains Magic and Kobe actually played and retired with the same team so technically he would be more like them.

hugepatsfan
08-04-2016, 11:34 AM
On one hand I'm glad but at the same time I think this is bad for the league. Even if they get Blake (and gut the rest of the roster in the process) then they aren't close to GS. GS is just so much better than everyone else. To have a competitive league we need a few more super teams. Him choosing to tough it out rather than join one hurts the chances of that because he was in position to be a part of one.

Hawkeye15
08-04-2016, 11:38 AM
I know you enjoy indulging in the land of woulda coulda but the fact remains Magic and Kobe actually played and retired with the same team so technically he would be more like them.

why would they have left? You never seem to get that..

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 11:42 AM
On one hand I'm glad but at the same time I think this is bad for the league. Even if they get Blake (and gut the rest of the roster in the process) then they aren't close to GS. GS is just so much better than everyone else. To have a competitive league we need a few more super teams. Him choosing to tough it out rather than join one hurts the chances of that because he was in position to be a part of one.

No matter how "super" a team is, a team that is well balanced and well coached always stands a legitimate chance. Look no further than Dallas taking down Miami's Big three their first trip or Detroit taking out my Lakers in '04 (albeit with Malone hurt).

To say if Russ ends up getting Blake they still "won't even be close" is a major underestimation. They weren't supposed to be close to the Spurs or Dubs last year either and beat one, pushed the other to the brink.

If I'm Russ in my prime I like my chances.

ChI_ShIzzLe
08-04-2016, 11:43 AM
40+ Points and Rebounds in a game

Wilt Chamberlain is the only player to record a quadruple double double (40+ points and rebounds) in an NBA game. He did it not once or twice but five times in his career.

Double Triple Double

In 1968, Wilt Chamberlian achieved a unique feat when he put up 22 points, 25 rebounds and 21 assists in game and became the first player to hit double triple double. Since then, no one has been able to achieve this feat again.(No telling how many blocks he had in this game to go along with that absurd DTD)

30+ points and 20+ rebounds in rookie season

No player had experienced more satisfying rookie season than Wilt Chamberlain. He averaged 37 points per game and 27 rebounds per game in the first season of his career.

Coming into the NBA and averaging 30+ points and 20+ rebounds, is not a cakewake and surely this record will remain intact for a long period of time

50.4 average in a season

In 1961-62 season Wilt Chamberlain scored 4,029 points with an average of 50.4 ppg which is the highest single season average in NBA. The closest to give it a shot was the Wilt Chamberlian himself who averaged 44.8 next season.

100 points in a game

On March 2, 1962, Wilt scored 100 points against the New York Knicks and became the only player to reach century mark in a single game

I highly doubt we will ever see these stats again from one single player, I mean that sincerely

Did you ever watch Wilt play? I sure as hell didn't. Let's not forget his competition was probably half his size and no one else existed during that time who matched his strength and skill level.

Westbrook putting up 30+10+10 from the PG position in a talent and star loaded era of basketball would be far more impressive IMO.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 11:45 AM
why would they have left? You never seem to get that..

All I need to get is that they didn't. No matter how you dissect it, no matter how it came about they stayed. Those are the facts, the rest doesn't matter.

hugepatsfan
08-04-2016, 11:48 AM
No matter how "super" a team is, a team that is well balanced and well coached always stands a legitimate chance. Look no further than Dallas taking down Miami's Big three their first trip or Detroit taking out my Lakers in '04 (albeit with Malone hurt).

To say if Russ ends up getting Blake they still "won't even be close" is a major underestimation. They weren't supposed to be close to the Spurs or Dubs last year either and beat one, pushed the other to the brink.

If I'm Russ in my prime I like my chances.

The Warriors are a super team that is well balanced and well coached. OKC beat SA but going from Durant to Blake would be a big downgrade. And GS made a huuuuuuuuuuge upgrade. So when one team was already better and then they got a lot better while that other team got a decent amount worse, I have a tough time arguing that they'd be close. And that's not even to mention the fact that OKC has already lost Ibaka (ability to switch is huge against GS) and would have to make a few more downgrades to accommodate Blake's signing.

I want to believe that GS isn't so much better than everyone else that it isn't fun but it's tough to see. No one has any real argument as to why that's the case. It's just a generic "hey, you never know, upsets happen". Hopefully it does but it's an upset for a reason - it's not seen as likely. And them losing to anyone is a huuuuuge upset. All time level stuff.

I think you underestimate the level of superteam GS is too. Your Lakers for example would be like if you added 2 top 15 players to the team. That's the level that GS has. MIA you'd have to add another top 15 player to what they already have. That's the level GS is at. It's something we've really never seen before, at least in my lifetime.

Hawkeye15
08-04-2016, 11:54 AM
All I need to get is that they didn't. No matter how you dissect it, no matter how it came about they stayed. Those are the facts, the rest doesn't matter.

gotcha. So you aren't into context.

hugepatsfan
08-04-2016, 11:56 AM

You have to admit it's pretty weak to heap praise on a guy for being too competitive to want to leave when he actually demanded a trade and the organization just wouldn't oblige. You have to admit that's pretty disingenuous.

kdspurman
08-04-2016, 11:56 AM
WB getting paid, and will have a PO soon again.

Still not sure if this is a loyalty move of just getting paid lol Either way, I really hope OKC plays GS in the playoffs

Chronz
08-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Facts devoid of context lose all meaning entirely, so no, he wouldn't be more like them. Im struggling to find a similar corollary actually. Maybe he'll demand a trade in a year or so and be more like everyone else.

Didn't Shaq leave Orlando in free agency? Didn't Kareem force a trade?

You are such a special person when you stick with a team that gives you chip help the majority of your career.

Yes, we could name a **** load of players. RWB is prolly the only guy I can remember in a long time being with a franchise (especially one that hasn't won him a title) so long and when things look like they are going south, decides to re-up anyways. He didn't force his way into a big market from day 1 or shy away from the challenge of resurrecting a franchise, he didn't demand a trade only to back off because he was dead wrong about his team.

With respect to Shaq, there are some who believe he would have stayed had Orlando just stopped yanking his chain and just given him what he wanted. Shaq needed to be loved and get paid, OKC showed unquestionable loyalty because they've seen the errors of the past.

Chronz
08-04-2016, 12:05 PM
You have to admit it's pretty weak to heap praise on a guy for being too competitive to want to leave when he actually demanded a trade and the organization just wouldn't oblige. You have to admit that's pretty disingenuous.

Kobe fans change the story every time, from him doing it to put pressure on his owner, even though they have come out and said that they probably dont trade for Pau if Bynum never got injured. Some say that Kobe was talked out of it, but hes already admitted to looking long and hard at Chicago but Mitch just couldn't work out a deal that left Kobe with a team he'd be interested in joining.

Besides thats not the only difference, Kobe and his camp did alot of power moves before even entering the NBA. One guy was drafted to OKC ffs while the other steered his way to a market like LA, lmfao, so shocking that someone will stay with the Lakers amirite. Even after giving Kobe multiple cracks at a championship, the dude demands a trade within 3 measly years as the man? LMFAO, even a injury prone Tmac gave Orlando 4 years and they never gave him a championship core.

IndyRealist
08-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Basically Westbrook will make $8m more this year, and his contract is now a year longer. Just one year. People are making this out to be more than it is.

tp13baby
08-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Put DMC and those will be guys out to kill. I think they would be great together actually.

Chronz
08-04-2016, 12:12 PM

If you could have your way, what players would you add to which teams to create more parity at the top because this is unprecedented talent on paper

hugepatsfan
08-04-2016, 12:20 PM
If you could have your way, what players would you add to which teams to create more parity at the top because this is unprecedented talent on paper

Well no one will ever have a comparable top 4 but we can add elite talent to already stacked teams.

Maybe SAC continues their futility and actually trades Cousins for Love? Westbrook to SA would be sweet. IDK what else works. LAC could add a 4th star but IDK how they do it. It's just tough. I don't see how it really works which is why I hate what KD did from a league interest perspective.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 12:30 PM

Not really, seeing as that wasn't his last opportunity to leave. Before he signed his last deal he could've left and ring chased prior to injury, in fact a lot of people even some Laker fans were calling for him to do just that because of Buss ineptitude.

Also your comparisons aren't apples to apples. Lebron left a 60 + win team. KD left a team fresh off the WCF and playing with another top 5 player. Westbrook is staying on a team that is still making moves and shown a willingness to keep the team competitive. At the time Kobe demanded a trade he was on a team with Smush/Luke/Kwame as actual starters, scrapping for a 7/8 seed, and had just turned down a trade for Jason Kidd because they refuse to give up young injured Bynum.

Big difference.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 12:33 PM

I got the context but some of you guys are only interested in your version of it.

The context is Kobe demanded a trade at a time when management was refusing to make moves to even field a respectable roster and fighting to make the playoffs, while KD and Bron left contenders.

Why you guys insist on comparing Kobes situations to Brons Superteaming departure I'll never know, well actually I do......

Dade County
08-04-2016, 12:36 PM

I agree with you 100% unless you are talking about West possibly going to boston. Lol

A super team built by Miami? Then yes, you are very wise.

Chronz
08-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Well no one will ever have a comparable top 4 but we can add elite talent to already stacked teams.

Maybe SAC continues their futility and actually trades Cousins for Love? Westbrook to SA would be sweet. IDK what else works. LAC could add a 4th star but IDK how they do it. It's just tough. I don't see how it really works which is why I hate what KD did from a league interest perspective.

Yeah, RWB to SAS would be the talent boon they need for sure. I dont think the Clips need that much of a boost but it would be nice to see a legit 2-way wing on the team, but those are the most expensive pieces it seems, even at the role player level. Jimmy Butler would give us enough talent to match GS, but I would settle for a healthy Demarre Carrol or someone.

FlashBolt
08-04-2016, 12:55 PM
I really think we can be a top five team in the West. We still have a killer frontcourt and Sabonis's game fits perfectly with our system. Oladipo needs to step up, though. We have one of the best backcourts in the NBA right now along with size advantage against nearly every team in the frontcourt.

Chronz
08-04-2016, 12:56 PM

Right. Yeah he wanted to leave after a measly 3 years as the man after already being given championship support, but hey, hes the same as this warrior who just reupped without fear. Then again, maybe he just bolts later on too.

Not that it matters, its just hilarious the way Tony and his ilk try to spin their hero's legacy. Its like dude, I was there in person when most of LA booed Kobe on opening night. I remember when Kobe refused to work out for teams because he wanted a storied franchise (smart move but nothing honorable about that).

Its like, you're comparing CLEVELAND AND OKC to the ****ing Lakers? LOL, thats context for you.

FlashBolt
08-04-2016, 12:58 PM
I got the context but some of you guys are only interested in your version of it.

The context is Kobe demanded a trade at a time when management was refusing to make moves to even field a respectable roster and fighting to make the playoffs, while KD and Bron left contenders.

Why you guys insist on comparing Kobes situations to Brons Superteaming departure I'll never know, well actually I do......

When did LeBron leave a contender? He was the reason they were a contender first off. Secondly, Kobe's team wasn't contending because he never had the capability of leading a team the full way LeBron can. He needs that extra help because:

1) He's inconsistent.
2) He's only willing to pass when he feels like it.
3) He treats his teammates like a pile of dirt.

Why do you insist on comparing a player who only had a crap team for two years compared to a player who had one for seven years? Or are you referring to LeBron leaving Miami for Cleveland? LMAO, you guys are LAUGHABLE. Cleveland Cavailers were consistently one of the worst teams out there for four seasons. He went to THAT team. The year he leaves Miami, they fail to make the playoffs. It's safe to say when you talk about who's going to show up for the Finals, it's going to be the best team in the West and then the team that has LeBron from the East.

Heediot
08-04-2016, 01:04 PM
Not really, seeing as that wasn't his last opportunity to leave. Before he signed his last deal he could've left and ring chased prior to injury, in fact a lot of people even some Laker fans were calling for him to do just that because of Buss ineptitude.

Also your comparisons aren't apples to apples. Lebron left a 60 + win team. KD left a team fresh off the WCF and playing with another top 5 player. Westbrook is staying on a team that is still making moves and shown a willingness to keep the team competitive. At the time Kobe demanded a trade he was on a team with Smush/Luke/Kwame as actual starters, scrapping for a 7/8 seed, and had just turned down a trade for Jason Kidd because they refuse to give up young injured Bynum.

Big difference.

Kobe is about Kobe. Nobody would of offered even half of what the Lakers offered him for his last contract. He took the money and the pay day because he was all about Kobe. He has asked to be traded even after he signed his last contract. The dude was crying and trying to strong arm the organization when things were falling apart in year one after his last contract signing. Kobe always wanted his cake and eat it too. If he won chips, he wanted to be the reason why. He has tried to force and manipulate situations to his liking plenty of times.

mngopher35
08-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Good for both sides. Okc gets westy for at least one more year (giving them an off season to try and get more talent). Westy gets paid more and looks great to the public especially with kd ditching.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 01:08 PM
When did LeBron leave a contender? He was the reason they were a contender first off. Secondly, Kobe's team wasn't contending because he never had the capability of leading a team the full way LeBron can. He needs that extra help because:

1) He's inconsistent.
2) He's only willing to pass when he feels like it.
3) He treats his teammates like a pile of dirt.

Why do you insist on comparing a player who only had a crap team for two years compared to a player who had one for seven years? Or are you referring to LeBron leaving Miami for Cleveland? LMAO, you guys are LAUGHABLE. Cleveland Cavailers were consistently one of the worst teams out there for four seasons. He went to THAT team. The year he leaves Miami, they fail to make the playoffs. It's safe to say when you talk about who's going to show up for the Finals, it's going to be the best team in the West and then the team that has LeBron from the East.

A) despite your opinion Cleveland was winning 60 + games and playing in the ECF. That by definition is a contender.

B) Kobe wasn't contending because he wasn't capable of leading Kwame/Smush/ Luke? Lead them to what? So a better leader would've took those guys where exactly, the Finals? LOL sure man.

C) I didn't bring Kobe into the discussion. I merely said "Russ was cut from a different cloth as KD and Bron" and right on que Bron Superfans and a Kobe hater did what they typically do like clockwork, threw Kobes name into the conversation for no reason.

Chronz
08-04-2016, 01:12 PM

Hate to keep piling it on but what becomes of the Lakers if they listen to Kobe's tirade about shipping "his *** outta here" and trade an ascending Bynum that actually had more productive runs in him than Jermaine Oneal and Kidd did, and was able to land Dwight back when he had value. I mean short term I think Jermaine could help but he didn't really prove to be on Bynums level when he played with Bosh in Toronto and then when he went to Miami with Wade. He had some underrated seasons but would you have been satisfied with that move and then seeing Bynum have a few years of dominance?

I remember Kobe saying he was wrong in the press conference and the way the team was playing before Bynum got hurt proved the Lakers were in fact rebuilding a great team. Its just Kobe wasn't patient nor smart enough to know the team would be rebuilding for years while they tried to replace Shaq.

FlashBolt
08-04-2016, 01:16 PM
A) despite your opinion Cleveland was winning 60 + games and playing in the ECF. That by definition is a contender.

B) Kobe wasn't contending becuase he wasn't capable of leading Kwame/Smush/ Luke? Lead them to what? So a better leader would've took those guys where exactly, the Finals? LOL sure man.

C) I didn't bring Kobe into the discussion. I merely said "Russ was cut from a different cloth as KD and Bron" and right on que Bron Superfans did what they typically do like clockwork, threw Kobes name into the conversation for no reason.

1) And LeBron was the reason they were contending. Big difference, buddy.
2) Funny how you didn't mention Lamar Odom. He was better than any player LeBron had during his first Cleveland stint. The fact is, that Lakers team didn't work out because it was all about Kobe trying to prove he can win without Shaq rather than trying to be a leader. Read Phil Jackson's book.. For a Lakers fan, you sure can't take what his OWN COACH said about him as evidence.. you just like to ignore anything that doesn't fit your agenda.
3) I'll admit; Westbrook is cut from a different cloth but he's also not stupid. First off, you're not even thinking about this objectively.
1) OKC is offering Westbrook the most money by FAR.
2) Our team isn't that bad. Adams+Oladipo+Kanter are better than what LeBron's Cleveland had. Cut from the same cloth doesn't mean it's exactly a good thing and you trying to compare what LeBron did to what KD did to this day is still a showcase of how much you hate him.. just stop. You never win any argument you make but I guess the important thing is you think you do.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 01:21 PM
1) And LeBron was the reason they were contending. Big difference, buddy.
2) Funny how you didn't mention Lamar Odom. He was better than any player LeBron had during his first Cleveland stint. The fact is, that Lakers team didn't work out because it was all about Kobe trying to prove he can win without Shaq rather than trying to be a leader. Read Phil Jackson's book.. For a Lakers fan, you sure can't take what his OWN COACH said about him as evidence.. you just like to ignore anything that doesn't fit your agenda.
3) I'll admit; Westbrook is cut from a different cloth but he's also not stupid. First off, you're not even thinking about this objectively.
1) OKC is offering Westbrook the most money by FAR.
2) Our team isn't that bad. Adams+Oladipo+Kanter are better than what LeBron's Cleveland had. Cut from the same cloth doesn't mean it's exactly a good thing and you trying to compare what LeBron did to what KD did to this day is still a showcase of how much you hate him.. just stop. You never win any argument you make but I guess the important thing is you think you do.

I like how you dodge the question.

What was Kobe supposed to win with a starting lineup of Smush/Kobe/Luke/ Odom/ Kwame. That's 3 out of 5 starters that are backup players...at BEST. In Smush case a D leaguer.

I'll wait.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Hate to keep piling it on but what becomes of the Lakers if they listen to Kobe's tirade about shipping "his *** outta here" and trade an ascending Bynum that actually had more productive runs in him than Jermaine Oneal and Kidd did, and was able to land Dwight back when he had value. I mean short term I think Jermaine could help but he didn't really prove to be on Bynums level when he played with Bosh in Toronto and then when he went to Miami with Wade. He had some underrated seasons but would you have been satisfied with that move and then seeing Bynum have a few years of dominance?

I remember Kobe saying he was wrong in the press conference and the way the team was playing before Bynum got hurt proved the Lakers were in fact rebuilding a great team. Its just Kobe wasn't patient nor smart enough to know the team would be rebuilding for years while they tried to replace Shaq.

Did you just put Bynum and "years of dominance" in the same sentence?

Look if you're going to start drinking this early in the morning I can't entertain the debate man!

FlashBolt
08-04-2016, 01:26 PM
I like how you dodge the question.

What was Kobe supposed to win with a starting lineup of Smush/Kobe/Luke/ Odom/ Kwame. That's 3 out of 5 starters that are backup players...at BEST.

I'll wait.

I see you still can't understand the difference. Compare that lineup with LeBron's 2007 lineup. Then tell me what the difference was. I'll tell you: The difference is players on his team loved playing with LeBron because he was a locker room guy. What did Smush say? That Kobe told him not to talk to him because he wasn't on his level? How is a teammate supposed to play hard for their franchise player teammate when he's not willing to be a team player? Chemistry matters a lot. Those teams never developed any chemistry at all because Kobe wasn't willing to do so. Again, I suggest you read PHIL JACKSON'S book about Kobe and his failure to understand the game of basketball after Shaq left. It's all there for you. You said it yourself: LeBron left a 60 win contending team. You're basically answering your own question. The reason the Cavs were able to win 60 games was because LeBron made his teammates better. Kobe never did that and you can't find one lick of evidence to suggest he made his teammates better from the ground up.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 01:28 PM
I see you still can't understand the difference. Compare that lineup with LeBron's 2007 lineup. Then tell me what the difference was. I'll tell you: The difference is players on his team loved playing with LeBron because he was a locker room guy. What did Smush say? That Kobe told him not to talk to him because he wasn't on his level? How is a teammate supposed to play hard for their franchise player teammate when he's not willing to be a team player? Chemistry matters a lot. Those teams never developed any chemistry at all because Kobe wasn't willing to do so. Again, I suggest you read PHIL JACKSON'S book about Kobe and his failure to understand the game of basketball after Shaq left. It's all there for you. You said it yourself: LeBron left a 60 win contending team. You're basically answering your own question. The reason the Cavs were able to win 60 games was because LeBron made his teammates better. Kobe never did that and you can't find one lick of evidence to suggest he made his teammates better from the ground up.

I think you're the one with a comprehension problem.

Simple question, you've yet to answer.

What was that team supposed to win? In the West at that?

Short answer please.

( Shaq also told Lue he couldn't talk to him btw, Lue brought it up this year. He said nobody that caliber were allowed to talk to him but I'm guessing you have no issue with that)

kdspurman
08-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Basically Westbrook will make $8m more this year, and his contract is now a year longer. Just one year. People are making this out to be more than it is.

That's kinda what I was hinting at with my post too, especially with his player option. Guess we'll see

RowBTrice
08-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Wait a minute...I thought WB wanted to sign with the HEAT??????

Chronz
08-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Did you just put Bynum and "years of dominance" in the same sentence?

Look if you're going to start drinking this early in the morning I can't entertain the debate man!

What do you call All-Star caliber production+elite defense from a bigman in a league devoid of them?

Its not happy hour yet (for either of my medications), besides, Im not all that sure I should be posting when I drink anymore. Theres like this balance I've yet to find where I can enjoy a few drinks but if it goes even 1 beer overboard, Im easily ticked off.

Chronz
08-04-2016, 01:48 PM
That's kinda what I was hinting at with my post too, especially with his player option. Guess we'll see

Maybe its not that big a deal but 1 year makes a big difference with RWB game imo. And everyone who enters year 10 is going to have an opt out, thats just the way it goes.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 02:07 PM
On topic I'm glad this move saves Jimmy from himself.

I'm a firm believer if Russ was still around by deadline he would've panicked and gave OKC whatever they wanted including Ingram and Russel.

ManRam
08-04-2016, 02:10 PM

He's probably starting next to Oladipo - Roberson - Ilyasova - Adams next year. That's hardly great. Kanter, Payne, Abrines and others off the bench is solid, but again not tremendous.

I think the money makes it an easy decision, but let's not fool ourselves about the talent of the team surrounding him.

Dade County
08-04-2016, 02:18 PM
Wait a minute...I thought WB wanted to sign with the HEAT??????

:(

That would have been nice.

LaLa_Land
08-04-2016, 02:50 PM
This guy will win MVP if the Thunder can win 50+.

When he's throwing up 40-point triple doubles every night...well...Russell will finally get his due. He's been above .500 without Durant in the lineup and he's put up alien numbers. His inconspicuous relationship with Durant aside, he's been itching to be the lead dog.

Can it be the feature piece of a winning team? This year will identify such a thing. He has two fantastic big men and a legitimate two-way guy in Oladipo. They could certainly use some shooting at the SF spot, but don't have the salaries to make a Rudy Gay trade work. Perhaps they can take a stab at Stephenson on a small deal -- though he's a non-shooting headcase, he's talented and would fix the biggest gaping hole at SF in the entire league.

Westie is going to be an absolute terror this year.

GiantsSwaGG
08-04-2016, 02:51 PM
So what do the Heat and Lakers do in Free Agency next season?

smith&wesson
08-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Russell "triple double" Westbrook > Durant. yes I said it :)

europagnpilgrim
08-04-2016, 02:52 PM

And Kobe also should be added since he had his Bulls jersey on in the parking lot talking about the Lakers haven't held up to the promises they made during that 3yr setback after Shaq was traded and he wanted to be traded since they weren't close to contending, I know you recall that since you follow the Lakers religiously right?

Westbrook is cut from The Answer cloth

Hawkeye15
08-04-2016, 02:57 PM
This guy will win MVP if the Thunder can win 50+.

When he's throwing up 40-point triple doubles every night...well...Russell will finally get his due. He's been above .500 without Durant in the lineup and he's put up alien numbers. His inconspicuous relationship with Durant aside, he's been itching to be the lead dog.

Can it be the feature piece of a winning team? This year will identify such a thing. He has two fantastic big men and a legitimate two-way guy in Oladipo. They could certainly use some shooting at the SF spot, but don't have the salaries to make a Rudy Gay trade work. Perhaps they can take a stab at Stephenson on a small deal -- though he's a non-shooting headcase, he's talented and would fix the biggest gaping hole at SF in the entire league.

Westie is going to be an absolute terror this year.

if the Thunder win 50, I definitely see him winning MVP. Curry/Durant will be skipped over (or should be), LeBron doesn't even play for the regular season anymore, Davis's team will suck, who else is there?
Realistically? KL? PG?

Westbrook's numbers will probably be insane, something like 28/9/9

Scoots
08-04-2016, 03:01 PM
All they did it put it off one more year. I don't understand why this is a big deal.

kobe4thewinbang
08-04-2016, 03:14 PM
All they did it put it off one more year. I don't understand why this is a big deal.It's just not "one more year." Yeah, he has a player option, but OKC in almost two years will probably still be a quality team especially if they perhaps acquire another big star or one of their upstarts develops quicker than expected, but he's set to make a lot of money in his 10th year at the highest max salary tier and an opt-out is different than just straight up leaving. It gives OKC a lot of comfort, because if things go sour eventually, he can be traded somewhere he wants or if things stay well he can have freedom to do what he wants with the player option but will most likely stick around.

kobe4thewinbang
08-04-2016, 03:15 PM
if the Thunder win 50, I definitely see him winning MVP. Curry/Durant will be skipped over (or should be), LeBron doesn't even play for the regular season anymore, Davis's team will suck, who else is there?
Realistically? KL? PG?

Westbrook's numbers will probably be insane, something like 28/9/9He already averages 10 assists. If anything I see an increase coming with no KD to pass to or need the ball. Something Rondo-like with 28 (maybe even low 30s), 11rpg, 13apg. He won't have KD's 8rpg to rebound either so more loose balls possibly going his way.

ciaban
08-04-2016, 03:24 PM
looks like their plan is to get Blake Griffin in FA next year.

I was thinking the clippers should push for him, now it seems more likely they'll push like crazy for Blake Griffin.

ciaban
08-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Dose OKC now have the cap space for Blake and another player, like maybe Rudy Gay or someone along with extending steven adams who's an RFA?

Hawkeye15
08-04-2016, 03:35 PM
He already averages 10 assists. If anything I see an increase coming with no KD to pass to or need the ball. Something Rondo-like with 28 (maybe even low 30s), 11rpg, 13apg. He won't have KD's 8rpg to rebound either so more loose balls possibly going his way.

a lot of those assists were made to Durant though...he won't have the firepower he had last year. Plus, he now becomes focus #1, 2, and 3 for the defense, who doesn't have to worry about Durant anymore

Stunner
08-04-2016, 04:08 PM
Source on Russell Westbrook: ďThe idea of running out to find a super team, that isnít who he is." (via @TheVertical)

My favorite part of the @WojVerticalNBA piece on Westbrook.

https://twitter.com/legionhoops/status/761289058870059009

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 04:25 PM

Riley will think of a master plan.

As for Jimmy this is the Final nail in the coffin of all his Free Agent fantasies that never came to fruition.

Hopefully enough for Jeannie to finally banish him to the dungeon!

naps
08-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Right. Yeah he wanted to leave after a measly 3 years as the man after already being given championship support, but hey, hes the same as this warrior who just reupped without fear. Then again, maybe he just bolts later on too.

Not that it matters, its just hilarious the way Tony and his ilk try to spin their hero's legacy. Its like dude, I was there in person when most of LA booed Kobe on opening night. I remember when Kobe refused to work out for teams because he wanted a storied franchise (smart move but nothing honorable about that).

Its like, you're comparing CLEVELAND AND OKC to the ****ing Lakers? LOL, thats context for you.

That Kobe fan is hilarious though. He thinks Kyrie is extraordinary because Kyrie loves Kobe. He makes a thread of Kyrie facetiming Kobe lmfao. And this made of this cloth and that cloth BS is a given by him. Most of his posts are either demeaning LeBron or boosting Kobe, directly and indirectly.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Source on Russell Westbrook: ďThe idea of running out to find a super team, that isnít who he is." (via @TheVertical)

Good man!!

Bostonjorge
08-04-2016, 04:57 PM
Westbrook loves a challenge to stay with the OKc Cavilers. Nobody taking Miami's back to back rings seriously was most likely the driving force for Westbrook not wanting to form a super team himself.

Chronz
08-04-2016, 05:07 PM
Westbrook loves a challenge to stay with the OKc Cavilers. Nobody taking Miami's back to back rings seriously was most likely the driving force for Westbrook not wanting to form a super team himself.

By nobody you mean people like Larry Bird, you know, the legend who admits Brons run with Miami was the best championship run hes ever seen? Or how even some execs felt that the Heat would beat the all-time record for consecutive wins? Yeah, nothing legit about that.

Go look at Bostons run in 08 for a superteam that won a title but didn't impress

Hawkeye15
08-04-2016, 05:07 PM

so his team didn't lose the finals to that Miami team?

Do you use any possible scenario or situation to call out LeBron?

We get it. Kobe is a god. LeBron is the devil.

DR_1
08-04-2016, 05:10 PM
so his team didn't lose the finals to that Miami team?

Do you use any possible scenario or situation to call out LeBron?

We get it. Kobe is a god. LeBron is the devil.
He has his opinion I don't see a problem with it.

And that last part is just flat out uncalled for, come on dude.

Chronz
08-04-2016, 05:28 PM

You're a better person than I, I know if I were a Bulls fan and someone called out the validity of my teams championship, I would think less of them just the same. Even if its just an opinion, its hilariously shortsighted.

Hawkeye15
08-04-2016, 05:28 PM

you aren't familiar with him apparently.

jerellh528
08-04-2016, 06:24 PM

I personally never wanted westy even though he's one of my faves to watch. He couldn't win rings with a prime KD, he's not going to win with what we have. Plus he'll be over the hill once our players get into their groove, and I don't think his game wil age well...personally, I hope the lakers punt the cap space again next year for the following year and go hard for PG13 when he becomes available. Have PG13 play sg again next to Russell with Ingram at sf. Russell/George/Ingram would be a sick backcourt/ wing combo with length and can shoot. But yeah, to answer your question, as a laker fan, my preference would be to punt the cap space one more season, then go all in for pg13

KingJudah
08-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Dont be surprised if the Westbrook led thunder knock the warriors out of the playoffs next season! The thunder is still a very good very talented team. Do not SLEEP!

KingJudah
08-04-2016, 06:42 PM

And this is why I.absolutely love Westbrook, dudes a warrior and wants to go at the best, not cave in and go join a super team already. I swear I wish my 76ers could trade for Westbrook, Westbrook, Simmons, embid would be killer.

rhino17
08-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Interesting

in a couple weeks, KD has become maybe the most hated player in the NBA and Russel has become maybe the most popular

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Russ is about to be the face of the anti-run and team up movement. Which is cool because to this point the main players that are against were the retired legends but the biggest current superstars are ok with it.

Now you finally have a prime superstar that has the stones to stick it out instead of taking the easy route.

Maybe he starts a new trend? Makes it cool to stay.

Maybe he does for staying with your team what Lebron did for joining forces!

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Interesting

in a couple weeks, KD has become maybe the most hated player in the NBA and Russel has become maybe the most popular

KD the villain and Russ the hero!

Crazy stuff.

KingJudah
08-04-2016, 06:55 PM
I personally never wanted westy even though he's one of my faves to watch. He couldn't win rings with a prime KD, he's not going to win with what we have. Plus he'll be over the hill once our players get into their groove, and I don't think his game wil age well...personally, I hope the lakers punt the cap space again next year for the following year and go hard for PG13 when he becomes available. Have PG13 play sg again next to Russell with Ingram at sf. Russell/George/Ingram would be a sick backcourt/ wing combo with length and can shoot. But yeah, to answer your question, as a laker fan, my preference would be to punt the cap space one more season, then go all in for pg13

Lol @ your credibility going out the window when you say you don't want one of the best 3 players in the world on your team. Get real bro. Some of you take hating and denial to a whole new level.

naps
08-04-2016, 07:15 PM

Who is that nobody? Let me guess only kobephiles that are for some weird obsessed with LeBron?

YAALREADYKNO
08-04-2016, 07:35 PM
Props to Westbrook

JordansBulls
08-04-2016, 07:38 PM
So about 28 million a year, this is a good deal for anyone especially if god forbid you get injured.

SportsFanatic10
08-04-2016, 07:46 PM
And this is why I.absolutely love Westbrook, dudes a warrior and wants to go at the best, not cave in and go join a super team already. I swear I wish my 76ers could trade for Westbrook, Westbrook, Simmons, embid would be killer.

I love Westy as well, but to be fair, he basically got drafted into a great situation and has already been on a super team pretty much his whole career so far. I can see why he'd like to be the man now for a while. And it's not like he signed a big 5 year extension or something. He gets a huge pay raise this coming season and is only committed to 1 additional season beyond that with his opt out option.

lol, please
08-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Good for him, and good for their franchise. Quality person, elite player, competitor. Now can they build a contender around him is the question.

KobeOwnSU
08-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Good for Westbrook and OKC. It will make it that much more fun to watch when they play GS. I'm gonna be in a bar every game if OKC and GS play in the postseason.

Saddletramp
08-04-2016, 08:22 PM

Lol. Kobe couldn't do **** with scrubs while Lebron got 60 wins and deep in the playoffs every year with scrubs.

You've been hilarious through out this whole thread.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Lol. Kobe couldn't do **** with scrubs while Lebron got 60 wins and deep in the playoffs every year with scrubs.

You've been hilarious through out this whole thread.

You're very consistent.

Yet mildly amusing.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 08:41 PM
I love Westy as well, but to be fair, he basically got drafted into a great situation and has already been on a super team pretty much his whole career so far. I can see why he'd like to be the man now for a while. And it's not like he signed a big 5 year extension or something. He gets a huge pay raise this coming season and is only committed to 1 additional season beyond that with his opt out option.

Wait what?

OKC was far from a super team when he got drafted, they won 23 games his first season.

The best team they probably had was when they made the Finals but even then Harden was good but he wasn't a superstar yet, he totally disappeared in the Finals.

After his departure it was Russ, KD, Ibaka and role players. That's FAR from a Superteam.

Chronz
08-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Russ is about to be the face of the anti-run and team up movement. Which is cool because to this point the main players that are against were the retired legends but the biggest current superstars are ok with it.

Now you finally have a prime superstar that has the stones to stick it out instead of taking the easy route.

Or maybe he'll be another Tmac.

Saddletramp
08-04-2016, 08:55 PM
You're very consistent.

So are you.

Yet mildly amusing.

I'd be amused, too, if I was consistently wrong and continually corrected. But honestly, instead of being amused, try to actually comprehend what's going on.

Tony_Starks
08-04-2016, 09:16 PM
So are you.

I'd be amused, too, if I was consistently wrong and continually corrected. But honestly, instead of being amused, try to actually comprehend what's going on.

Comprehension isn't my specialty but I'll try.

Thank you opinionated Internet guy!

likemystylez
08-04-2016, 09:25 PM
not sure why so many media outlets are somehow making this about kevin durant.

was watching a first take clip and SAS was saying that "KD chose curry over westbrook its as simple as that". what a load of crap.

1st of all- KD had no indication whether westbrook would even re sign next summer

2nd of all- he chose the warriors core players (who all seem to really want to be there long term and are all on the same page)

3rd- He chose an organization that just won 73 games and the nba finals and they wanted badly to get better. where the thunder on the other hand were looking for a way to unload harden to save a few bucks after they went to the finals. warriors have shown they have a strong desire to be a top tier team up and down their organization.

*Silver&Black*
08-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Happy for OKC and Westbrook.

My favorite player outside of the Hawks. Hope he slays the season.

LA_Raiders
08-04-2016, 10:55 PM
Another great player that will not win a ship.

SportsFanatic10
08-04-2016, 11:06 PM
Wait what?

OKC was far from a super team when he got drafted, they won 23 games his first season.

The best team they probably had was when they made the Finals but even then Harden was good but he wasn't a superstar yet, he totally disappeared in the Finals.

After his departure it was Russ, KD, Ibaka and role players. That's FAR from a Superteam.

I said pretty much, not every single season first off. And I mean, prime Durant and Westbrook together has been close to if not the best tandem in the league for years. Along with Ibaka and solid role players...that's fairly comparable to the Heat's "super team". Wade was past his prime from the get go(minus 2010), along with Lebron and Bosh and role players. And in Wades best season out of the 4 with that team, they started washed up Bibby and Joel Anthony with them. The Thunder were deeper than that, and Harden was pretty good as well for his last 2 seasons there. Lebron disappeared in the finals for the Heat in 2010 as well, so that doesn't make sense there.

Just because the Thunders talent was homegrown doesn't mean he wasn't in an amazing situation for most of his time in the league so far in OKC. He's been on an elite contender for years now, that's just the truth. Don't call it a super team if you wish, but they were very, very good no doubt. He had lots of help to the point that he wasn't even the best player on his own team despite being a top 5 guy for some of that time. That's a darn good situation no matter how you look at it. Other stars have left their teams but had nowhere near that kind of roster around them. I mean, they choked away another trip to the finals just last season in terrible fashion, they should of taken out the 73 win Warriors. Injuries derailed a few of their playoff runs as well.

jerellh528
08-04-2016, 11:33 PM
Lol @ your credibility going out the window when you say you don't want one of the best 3 players in the world on your team. Get real bro. Some of you take hating and denial to a whole new level.

No. I just understand that real life isn't nba2k. Westbrook to the lakers is a stupid move, and I've said this all along. And Westbrook is one of my favorite players.

There's things in the sports world you obviously don't understand, to build a legit contender it takes calculated moves. You don't just zomg! Westy! Trippleeee dubblez! Top 3 omgz brah! Westbrook on the lakers would be worse off than current okc is and nowhere close to a contender. Makes more sense to go after PG13 after next season when the kids have another year under their belts to mature and gain chemistry and PG would be the perfect true leader at 27 years old, which is still younger than westy is right now and would likely be a better fit for lukes system.

lol, please
08-05-2016, 03:24 AM

Didn't see this earlier, but I lol'd.

:laugh2:

dAngelo
08-05-2016, 04:54 AM
Good for him, and good for their franchise. Quality person, elite player, competitor. Now can they build a contender around him is the question.

Wait, isn't his team already a contender? Here's what you wrote on the "What is more impressive?" thread.

The right answer here is Durant.

Westbrook winning a ring would be impressive, but he's already on a contender, already considered elite, and many teams have had a "one and done" appearance in the finals.

Winning 3 in a row is much harder no matter what the team and era, irregardless if you are the go to option, 2nd fiddle, or a bench player (Dubstitute, in warriorspeak).

Hawkeye15
08-05-2016, 10:04 AM

Trust me, I am hoping KAT stays with the Wolves for eternity..

McAllen Tx
08-05-2016, 10:38 AM

IDK if it will go that far as an anti movement.

He did make a few players (LBJ, Bosh, KD & LMA) look like *****es though. They all willingly left IN THEIR PRIME to team up with other superstar/star players instead of trying to beat them.

Tony_Starks
08-05-2016, 11:33 AM

He did make a few players (LBJ, Bosh, KD & LMA) look like *****es though. They all willingly left IN THEIR PRIME to team up with other superstar/star players instead of trying to beat them.

I think more so Lebron and KD. Bosh and LMA were great but still just all stars, complimentary pieces.

When you're the best player in the league or in that conversation and you resort to teaming up that's a different story. You're supposed to be the face of the franchise, something that Westbrook is embracing while the other guys ran.

Good for him!

Tony_Starks
08-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Trust me, I am hoping KAT stays with the Wolves for eternity..

He got Kobe on his wall, you're good!

Lol

Hawkeye15
08-05-2016, 11:47 AM

are we going to just destroy any player who leaves in free agency from now on?

McAllen Tx
08-05-2016, 11:57 AM
I think more so Lebron and KD. Bosh and LMA were great but still just all stars, complimentary pieces.

When you're the best player in the league or in that conversation and you resort to teaming up that's a different story. You're supposed to be the face of the franchise, something that Westbrook is embracing while the other guys ran.

Good for him!

Definately more so LBJ & KD vrs LMA & Bosh but they are in the same boat.

I really like what Westbrook did but lets see what happens after 2 years when he's a free agent again and elgible for his +10 year max contract. That's when I will know what he's really about.

Alls he really done by renegociating was pocket himself about an extra $12 million in the next 2 years. Great business move. Sure there was some loyalty and shots fired and wanting to prove himself w/o KD but the money is what most prompted the renegociations IMO. I could be wrong but we'll find out in 2 years.

Tony_Starks
08-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Definately more so LBJ & KD vrs LMA & Bosh but they are in the same boat.

I really like what Westbrook did but lets see what happens after 2 years when he's a free agent again and elgible for his +10 year max contract. That's when I will know what he's really about.

Alls he really done by renegociating was pocket himself about an extra $12 million in the next 2 years. Great business move. Sure there was some loyalty and shots fired and wanting to prove himself w/o KD but the money is what most prompted the renegociations IMO. I could be wrong but we'll find out in 2 years.

It's a good move for him both business wise and image wise. He gets the praise for taking the challenge but at the same time the pressure is still on management to put him in the best position to compete the next couple of years.

In two years if they are slacking on their jobs and he bounces he'll still take a backlash but it won't be nearly as bad because he gave them their chance.

And either way he's getting PAID paid!

McAllen Tx
08-05-2016, 12:13 PM
are we going to just destroy any player who leaves in free agency from now on?
No, I did only mention 4 players.

In 2010 LBJ, Bosh & Wade were 3 of the 4-5 best players in the East. It doesnt take rocket science to figure out that if they team up they will rule the East. They make a superteam while crumbling 2 of the competition at the same time. Only team left was an old *** Boston team.

Alpha LMA joined SA just after they won a title. I dont hold LMA as high as others but he did leave in his prime to gravy train in SA.

Alpha KD couldnt beat LBJ so he decided to join Stephs team to beat LBJ.

I understand in their waning years (32+) but not in there prime.

GSRaider
08-05-2016, 12:18 PM
So, he signed on for 1 extra year... and he has a player option to re-sign after year 2... not a longterm commitment and gets a raise... smart move.

kdspurman
08-05-2016, 12:43 PM
No, I did only mention 4 players.

In 2010 LBJ, Bosh & Wade were 3 of the 4-5 best players in the East. It doesnt take rocket science to figure out that if they team up they will rule the East. They make a superteam while crumbling 2 of the competition at the same time. Only team left was an old *** Boston team.

Alpha LMA joined SA just after they won a title. I dont hold LMA as high as others but he did leave in his prime to gravy train in SA.

Alpha KD couldnt beat LBJ so he decided to join Stephs team to beat LBJ.

I understand in their waning years (32+) but not in there prime.

I think w/LMA it was more about going back home, in addition to wanting to win, possibly more. His family and friends are there, and he's said he's able to go to his kid's soccer games, and be around family more since signing.

Plus, was he really Alpha, or was Lillard?

FlashBolt
08-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Wait, isn't his team already a contender? Here's what you wrote on the "What is more impressive?" thread.

lmao, I noticed that too. He's incredibly bad at this.

Jeffy25
08-05-2016, 08:00 PM

And if Bron had been drafted by the Lakers, he probably would never have left either.

For someone who speaks of context a lot, you seem to pretty easily dismiss it here.

McAllen Tx
08-06-2016, 07:42 AM
I think w/LMA it was more about going back home, in addition to wanting to win, possibly more. His family and friends are there, and he's said he's able to go to his kid's soccer games, and be around family more since signing.

Plus, was he really Alpha, or was Lillard?

Im not gonna hate on anyone who wants to be close to their kids. I commend him for that.

But as far as basketball goes, he chose to join the champs while in his prime. He's from Dallas and Cuban went after him hard. He could've joined a team, and been even closer to his kids (Im assuming they're closer to Dallas then SA) and tried to take down the champs but he instead chose to join the champs.

Like I said earlier, I dont hold him as highly as the others I mentioned but IMO it was still a weak move.

Want to say not as weak cause SA was an older team but they had just won the championship so I cant. I respect just about everything about the SA organization but the LMA choosing them was weak on his part IMO.

kdspurman
08-06-2016, 09:18 AM
Im not gonna hate on anyone who wants to be close to their kids. I commend him for that.

But as far as basketball goes, he chose to join the champs while in his prime. He's from Dallas and Cuban went after him hard. He could've joined a team, and been even closer to his kids (Im assuming they're closer to Dallas then SA) and tried to take down the champs but he instead chose to join the champs.

Like I said earlier, I dont hold him as highly as the others I mentioned but IMO it was still a weak move.

Want to say not as weak cause SA was an older team but they had just won the championship so I cant. I respect just about everything about the SA organization but the LMA choosing them was weak on his part IMO.

I get that. Btw, the Spurs weren't the Champs when he signed, we had just gotten eliminated by the Clips in the first round, and he signed that off season.

And Dallas could've worked, but if he is making a move, I could see him wanting to go to a team with a respectable history and record of prolonging careers, learning from guys like Tim Duncan and Pop, and being treated with respect. He's a pretty mellow guy, going to a team/organization without drama and guys trying to be in the limelight is perfect for him

But I can get your opinion. Nothing tops what Durant did though haha. That's just insane

likemystylez
08-06-2016, 01:04 PM
http://www.koco.com/thunder/durantwestbrook-set-to-become-most-bitter-rivalry-in-nba/41071160

am I the only one who is not believing how ridiculous this has gotten?

Durant and westbrook are now the most bitter rivalry in the nba? the only actual quotes and soundbites we have about the two of them are basically all positive.

LOL- but somehow the media picks apart quotes that westbrook said about him signing the contract- and say he was obviously taking jabs at durant. ummmm it wasnt that obvious was it???? considering when he talks about his relationship with durant its nothing but positive.

there are actual rivalries where players outright say they dont like the other team IE the clippers and warriors. draymond green hates blake griffin. shaq definitely disliked divac and the kings when he was a laker.

to say westbrook and durant as the most bitter rivalry in the nba though? there has to be some real substance to it though. (other than trying to pick apart random phrases and assume what a player might have meant by it). I know the offseason is slow- but this is absurd.

lol, please
08-06-2016, 07:36 PM
http://www.koco.com/thunder/durantwestbrook-set-to-become-most-bitter-rivalry-in-nba/41071160

am I the only one who is not believing how ridiculous this has gotten?

Durant and westbrook are now the most bitter rivalry in the nba? the only actual quotes and soundbites we have about the two of them are basically all positive.

LOL- but somehow the media picks apart quotes that westbrook said about him signing the contract- and say he was obviously taking jabs at durant. ummmm it wasnt that obvious was it???? considering when he talks about his relationship with durant its nothing but positive.

there are actual rivalries where players outright say they dont like the other team IE the clippers and warriors. draymond green hates blake griffin. shaq definitely disliked divac and the kings when he was a laker.

to say westbrook and durant as the most bitter rivalry in the nba though? there has to be some real substance to it though. (other than trying to pick apart random phrases and assume what a player might have meant by it). I know the offseason is slow- but this is absurd.

Just the media being the media dude. It's going to be a long offseason for us warrior fans, but on the other hand, the upcoming season is going to be awesome.

Aust
08-07-2016, 03:45 PM
So happy for OKC getting to keep one of their guys(also don't have to hear 2398042098 Laker fans mention Westbrook over the next year). I like that Russell wants to take that responsibility, that this is finally his and only his team. He's not bolting with his tail tucked between his legs.