PDA

View Full Version : Benintendi is coming! Will be with team tommorow!

j-bay
08-01-2016, 11:59 PM
Evan Drellich ‏@EvanDrellich
BREAKING: Andrew Benintendi is to meet the Red Sox in Seattle tomorrow, the Herald has learned. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/clubhouse_insider/2016/08/red_sox_prospect_andrew_benintendi_to_join_team_in _seattle …

HERE WE GO!

BGeer091
08-02-2016, 12:10 AM
Exciting!!!

celticsman2009
08-02-2016, 07:09 AM
Yasss!

Green_Monster
08-02-2016, 07:42 AM
This is pretty awesome.

RedSoxtober
08-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Michael Martinez DFA to make room for him. He'll come off the bench today and start tomorrow (Wed).

-Lavigne43-
08-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Rushing prospects like this usually ends up biting you in the ***. Hopefully it won't this time. Oh, and of course Farrell already says he's going to platoon instead of play everyday.

TragicallyHip
08-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Rushing prospects like this usually ends up biting you in the ***. Hopefully it won't this time. Oh, and of course Farrell already says he's going to platoon instead of play everyday.

Of course he did. I'm as excited as anyone to see what Benintendi can do, but he's most likely already better than Brentz, so what's the point in calling him up if you're not going to play him everyday like he would in Portland?

BoSox47
08-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Would have liked to see AB get 100-150 more plate appearances in AA but he need OF help.

AI
08-02-2016, 01:10 PM
I knew this move was coming. Call me crazy but I think he's ready. As with all young players making the jump, there will be an adjustment period, but I like his approach at the plate and I think it'll play at the major league level.

RedSoxtober
08-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Much as was the case with Rodriguez, the Red Sox elected to rely on the 22-year-old outfielder rather than deal him for a solution from outside the organization. At first, the Red Sox will give Benintendi the lion’s share of plate appearances against righthanded pitchers (Bryce Brentz will get starts against lefties for now, including on Tuesday), as Brock Holt returns to a utility role.

Benintendi is on a fast track unlike any Red Sox in recent years – or, arguably, in Red Sox history. He’s spent just 63 games in Double A; only Jackie Bradley Jr. (61 games in Double A) spent fewer games in the upper levels of any Red Sox starter prior to his promotion to the big leagues.

Yet Bradley still had a full year in the Red Sox farm system (2012) along with a big league spring training camp before his summons to the big leagues for the start of the 2013 season. In the 51 years of Major League Baseball’s draft, no Red Sox first-round position player has ever gotten to the big leagues in the middle of his first full professional season. That said, it became clear to team officials very soon after they selected him with the No. 7 overall pick in the 2015 draft that Benintendi had a chance to race to the big leagues faster than any prospect the team had seen in years.Speier

RedSoxtober
08-02-2016, 06:08 PM

I'm a little split about whether or not it's rushing him. No doubt that he flew through the system but it's not like celebrated "don't ever do that again" poster boy Craig Hansen. It's not really like the way Swihart was rushed into service last year or Vazquez this year. There is a need that is bringing about his promotion as there was with the others but he's also executing at an exceptionally high level and considered ready by many. I put it more in the category of Ellsbury pushing Coco.

As for the platoon, Speier's description (above) makes it sound like it's an attempt to put him in position for the best chance for success and with the opportunity to take the full time role. He cites no one for the suggestion though.

Bo Sox Fan
08-02-2016, 07:32 PM
Get his feet wet until Young & Swihart are healthy and send him back. I'd hate to lose a year of service time (ex/ Kris Bryant) if we have zero intensions of trading him in the offseason.

This season feels like a tease. The talent is definitely there to win on the offensive side but there's just something missing on the pitching side that I really lack confidence in. Too many down years for too many guys, bullpen & rotation.

bagwell368
08-02-2016, 08:18 PM
His swing and bat speed tend to argue against him being rushed. He's mid season, not like he got the slot on Opening Day when it's cold.

papipapsmanny
08-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Either ready or not. I never believed that rushing someone (A guy with 250 PAs in AA) will someone make it so that they don't become an MLB player. At that point its either he is good enough and will get there with 1-3 years of playing or after year 3 he just was never going to be the guy we thought in the first place.

Unless they feel he has confidence issues then there is nothing wrong with this move.

Moncada probably will get at least another 100 ABs in AA but he is lurking as well.

j-bay
08-02-2016, 09:53 PM
Boston Strong – ‏@BostonStrong_34

Great stat from BBTN, Golden Spikes Award Winners in MLB since 06';

- Lincecum
- Price
- Posey
- Strasburg
- Harper
- Bryant
- Benintendi

Bo Sox Fan
08-02-2016, 09:55 PM
If this years offence is a preview of what's to come with the emergence of Betts, Bogaerts & Bradley, I feel sorry for the rest of the division, and league for that matter if Moncada & Benintendi pan out to be the real deal.

We could have some historic offences for the next 5 years.

BoSox47
08-02-2016, 11:15 PM
If this years offence is a preview of what's to come with the emergence of Betts, Bogaerts & Bradley, I feel sorry for the rest of the division, and league for that matter if Moncada & Benintendi pan out to be the real deal.

We could have some historic offences for the next 5 years.

Yankees are preparing the same however.

bosox1899
08-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Well very unimpressive first game for Benintendi. hopefully he'll start tonight and get his first hit

Bo Sox Fan
08-03-2016, 08:50 AM
FWIW, every relevant bat that got traded went 0 for in their debuts and every relevant arm (Smith, Feldman, Abad) took the loss in their debut.

It been a terrible couple nights for the new guys changing jerseys.

RedSoxtober
08-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Get his feet wet until Young & Swihart are healthy and send him back. I'd hate to lose a year of service time (ex/ Kris Bryant) if we have zero intensions of trading him in the offseason.
Not really a concern in this case. Service time is calculated in fractions and Sept callup time does not count. Assuming that he stays up for the rest of the season then he should have less than 0.20 years and they'll still have six years beyond this one.

Bryant was called up two weeks into 2015 and basically had a full year of service time. More importantly, with as much time as he spent in MLB last year he will probably qualify as a "super two" and get arbitration rights after this season (rather than after 2017). This also doesn't appear to be the case with AB.

Well very unimpressive first game for Benintendi. hopefully he'll start tonight and get his first hit
Not too worried. He struggled a bit after his promotion to POR so I won't be shocked to see him start slowly over a couple of weeks and then gain some traction.

j-bay
08-03-2016, 10:41 AM

Not his fault. First at bat he looked nervous, but it was his first ML at bat. Then the second one he was dealing with a pitcher who had zeo control of a really fast fastball. No one could tell where that thing was going

bosox1899
08-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Not really a concern in this case. Service time is calculated in fractions and Sept callup time does not count. Assuming that he stays up for the rest of the season then he should have less than 0.20 years and they'll still have six years beyond this one.

Bryant was called up two weeks into 2015 and basically had a full year of service time. More importantly, with as much time as he spent in MLB last year he will probably qualify as a "super two" and get arbitration rights after this season (rather than after 2017). This also doesn't appear to be the case with AB.

Not too worried. He struggled a bit after his promotion to POR so I won't be shocked to see him start slowly over a couple of weeks and then gain some traction.

Oh definitely not worried myself, after seeing how slowly Bogaerts and JBJr started, I think Benintendi will probably follow a similar pattern. If he does bust, that would be an extreme disappointed seeing as how highly talked about he is.

Not his fault. First at bat he looked nervous, but it was his first ML at bat. Then the second one he was dealing with a pitcher who had zeo control of a really fast fastball. No one could tell where that thing was going

true. He needs to be more patient though. He only saw 5 pitches last night. I'll chalk that up to being a little anxious in his first MLB game. If farrell has half a brain, he'll start him tonight to get a full 4 to 5 ABs

BoSox47
08-03-2016, 05:15 PM

He grounded out and then got calle out on strikes on a 99.9 MPH fastball that was 3.1 inches off the plate.

j-bay
08-05-2016, 11:43 AM
I know a few people are salty about AB sharing time with Brentz, but isn't this what happened in 2013 with Xander? It worked out with Xander. And if he continues to do good and we make at least the divisional series, he might get a little playoff experience.

RedSoxtober
08-05-2016, 03:36 PM
“I wouldn’t rule it out that (Benintendi) would play against left-handers at some point to keep him involved,” Farrell said. “He’s got a swing that works very well. He’s had success in the minors against left-handers, but, in remaining consistent with what has been communicated to him and to (the media), the initial transitioning him in would be against right-handers.”

What that means for Benintendi is a whole lot of bench-warming. He’ll have to learn how to stay mentally sharp to be ready for late-game pinch-hitting appearances. In the minors, Benintendi hit .333 with a .973 OPS in 91 at-bats against lefties.

The Dodgers have two lefties lined up with Scott Kazmir throwing tonight and Rich Hill expected to pitch on Sunday when he’s activated from the 15-day disabled list. Tomorrow’s starter is to be determined, but Farrell thought the Dodgers would throw three straight lefties.

If that’s the case, Benintendi could go four straight games without making a start. The move to call up Benintendi is ultimately one made by Dombrowski, the Red Sox president of baseball operations, but Farrell is the one who writes the lineup card.

“But I think part of it is you got Chris Young coming back (from the DL), who is very good against left-handed pitching. So not at this point, no, I’m not concerned.”

Young is being paid $6 million this season to mash against lefties, so he’s likely to take over in left field against left-handers when he returns from a hamstring injury.

For now, those at-bats will go to Brentz, who played almost exclusively against lefties this season, going 10-for-38 with one home run and 11 strikeouts to go with three walks.Boston Herald
When you look at the big picture, the presence of Young makes sense out of the platoon. In the short term, however, it looks pretty stupid to have called him up at a time when they're looking at the possibility of facing 5 LHSP in 6 games.

bagwell368
08-06-2016, 09:52 PM

0 for 2?

You never cease to amaze with your stunningly accurate snap judgements...

soxer04
08-08-2016, 10:56 PM
Not bad so far in terms of playing time. In 6 games he's gotten 13 at bats.