PDA

View Full Version : Best players 35 and over all-time?

WaDe03
08-01-2016, 07:13 PM
What are some of the best players 35 years of age or older of all-time? Hoping Wade can play on par or at least hold his own against some of them.

Please include some statistics to back up the players you name.

Heediot
08-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Duncan, Kareem, Nash, Stockton. KG was solid til 38

To add. Dirk is going good for a old guy, but his defense is bad. Jordan would of aged nicely if he played over 35.

Shammyguy3
08-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Duncan
Dirk
Stockton
Kareem
Karl Malone
Robert Parish
Jason Kidd
Reggie Miller
Steve Nash

Vee-Rex
08-01-2016, 07:54 PM
People seem to come down hard on Jordan and his Wizard days. I find it remarkable what a guy at the age of 39 was able to do.

I don't think there's a wing player in the history of the game that has played as well at that age in the NBA.

WaDe03
08-01-2016, 07:58 PM
You guys have any stats from these players from particular seasons?

I agree with vee-Rex on Jordan's Wizards days.

JordansBulls
08-01-2016, 08:19 PM
MJ in 1998 was 35 and won league mvp. Malone in 1999 was MVP at 35 as well.

PowerHouse
08-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Karl Malone was still winning mvps at 35 so I'll go with him.

and Jordan

Chronz
08-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Im only including guards since I know where this question stems from.

Im afraid it doesn't look good man, for that age, among the guys who played at an all-star level production wise, only Drexler was able to do it without shooting a high level from 3, and he was taller, playing in an era where spacing was less important and still shooting it at a higher level than Wade. Reggie/Stockton technically qualify if you want to be lenient on All-Star production and low 3pt% but everyone knows those 2 were being greatly covered till the day they retired from out there. The only guys I found who actually made an All-Star team at that age was the immortal Sam Cassell and he had mastered the midrange game but yeah I guess he wasn't a great 3pt shooter either.

Walter Davis is another guy that comes to mind, he came off the bench by the time he reached this stage of his career but he was a 6MOY caliber reserve IMO, of all the players I listed, Drexler and Davis are the closest in terms of style of play. They all used herky jerky moves to get to the rim, could cut off the ball if you sagged and overplayed others, used up fakes to get guys off balance, were decent shooters but lacked range so they couldn't stretch you out but when they had the ball you had to honor them because they had the triple threat game down pat and they all hit their FT's in the 80's IIRC.

Aside from them, you're looking at Andre Miller, Grant Hill (in PHX), Old man Payton.

WaDe03
08-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Im only including guards since I know where this question stems from.

Im afraid it doesn't look good man, for that age, among the guys who played at an all-star level production wise, only Drexler was able to do it without shooting a high level from 3, and he was taller, playing in an era where spacing was less important and still shooting it at a higher level than Wade. Reggie/Stockton technically qualify if you want to be lenient on All-Star production and low 3pt% but everyone knows those 2 were being greatly covered till the day they retired from out there. The only guys I found who actually made an All-Star team at that age was the immortal Sam Cassell and he had mastered the midrange game but yeah I guess he wasn't a great 3pt shooter either.

Walter Davis is another guy that comes to mind, he came off the bench by the time he reached this stage of his career but he was a 6MOY caliber reserve IMO, of all the players I listed, Drexler and Davis are the closest in terms of style of play. They all used herky jerky moves to get to the rim, could cut off the ball if you sagged and overplayed others, used up fakes to get guys off balance, were decent shooters but lacked range so they couldn't stretch you out but when they had the ball you had to honor them because they had the triple threat game down pat and they all hit their FT's in the 80's IIRC.

Aside from them, you're looking at Andre Miller, Grant Hill (in PHX), Old man Payton.

I think Wade will without a doubt be an all star next year. What type of numbers was Drexler putting up at that age?

Chronz
08-01-2016, 08:37 PM
MJ in 1998 was 35 and won league mvp. Malone in 1999 was MVP at 35 as well.

Technically but he was still younger than Wade and BBR has him as 34 for that year but I guess thats abit arbitrary. I guess we shouldn't nitpick to this degree tho, theres just no point in mentioning him. Lots of old guys were still thriving in the 90's tho, doesn't it seem that way?

WaDe03
08-01-2016, 08:44 PM
Also I'm not saying Wade is going to be the best ever I'm just looking for a measuring stick for this upcoming season.

Chronz
08-01-2016, 08:50 PM
I think Wade will without a doubt be an all star next year. What type of numbers was Drexler putting up at that age?

This is where Wade can really start crafting a longevity legacy boost the way I saw Reggie experience. Hell even guys like Vince and Pierce were thought of abit more highly because of how long they lasted.

It was his farewell tour, didn't make the All-Star team but he produced like one, averaged 18-5-6 on higher efficiency than Wade last year. Playoffs were a different story tho, I still remember holding out hope that the .500 Rockets could upset the powerhouse in Utah, the history and rivalry was there. And when Clyde was able to summon his old All-Star self (along with Hakeem), the Rockets won, and while they did force the eventual Finalist into an elimination game, Drexler shot 31% overall. Its mixed series but that was it for him. I feel like Drexler had his one last playoff push the year prior, the same stage Wade was at last year.

So Wade has to defy all odds, he not only has to play well for his age but he has to overcome the year regression players typically experience from being on a new team and he has to overcome being shorter than most, less durable, and less of a shooter from distances in an era where its of the utmost importance off the ball. If he defies all that, he then has to hold up for a playoff run.

Good luck man but it would be a helluva story imo

WaDe03
08-01-2016, 08:56 PM
This is where Wade can really start crafting a longevity legacy boost the way I saw Reggie experience. Hell even guys like Vince and Pierce were thought of abit more highly because of how long they lasted.

It was his farewell tour, didn't make the All-Star team but he produced like one, averaged 18-5-6 on higher efficiency than Wade last year. Playoffs were a different story tho, I still remember holding out hope that the .500 Rockets could upset the powerhouse in Utah, the history and rivalry was there. And when Clyde was able to summon his old All-Star self (along with Hakeem), the Rockets won, and while they did force the eventual Finalist into an elimination game, Drexler shot 31% overall. Its mixed series but that was it for him. I feel like Drexler had his one last playoff push the year prior, the same stage Wade was at last year.

So Wade has to defy all odds, he not only has to play well for his age but he has to overcome the year regression players typically experience from being on a new team and he has to overcome being shorter than most, less durable, and less of a shooter from distances in an era where its of the utmost importance off the ball. If he defies all that, he then has to hold up for a playoff run.

Good luck man but it would be a helluva story imo

I'm not sure how much Wade you watched last year and I'm sure you've seen me say this multiple times but he looked better physically last year than I've seen him look in 4-5 years so imo that is a good sign going forward. He also said he feels he has 3 years left at a high level and he's a much better shooter than his numbers show and that he showed it in the playoffs and he plans to shoot more next year. If there's any truth to what he's saying then I'm pretty confident. I think 18-5-6 would be the floor for him this coming season give or take a rebound and assist or 2 and believe the efficiency will increase playing along a pass first PG and a player like Butler who defenses have to focus on. Last year the Heat didn't really have either of those.

JAZZNC
08-02-2016, 02:44 PM
I feel like Malone and Kareem have the best over 35 careers. I know Duncan had an excellent career after that age but he had constant rest and a seemingly fresh crop of young guys constantly coming in. Malone won an MVP @ 35 and continued to be the unquestioned #1 option on offense and best post defender on a playoff team until he left Utah. I mean the guy averaged 20ppg at 39 and led his team (with no help other than a 39yr old Stockton) to the playoffs playing EVERY game and gave that incredible Kings team a helluva battle in the first round that year. He continued to show his skill with the Lakers becoming the oldest player ever to record a triple double and the oldest person to go 30/10 in the playoffs. I firmly believe that Malone could have been a solid contributed on a solid team until he was almost 45. Players of his physical stature, skill, and work ethic just don't come around. Its one reason that I think its a joke to put he and KG in the same sentence, peak you can make a point but career wise the production he put up in his later years just ***** all over KG, Dirk, Barkley etc at the end of their careers especially when you factor in his durability in those later years. Its very impressive.

Kareem, well no need to explain that one.

Slug3
08-02-2016, 05:31 PM

I think Wade has a good chance to make the all star again next year, especially as a starter as he still has a big name and will be in a big market this year. I would assume Bulls and Heat fans will try and vote Wade in.

I am not really sure on his 3 point shot, J. Kidd seemed like he did get somewhat better as he aged with the 3 point shot so maybe there is a chance for Wade. One thing Wade can still really do is play in the post against other guards. If he can stay at the post/mid range game I think he should be fine. Honestly we really don't know what a backcourt of him and Rando can do as nobody is really going to respect their 3 point shooting starting out. If they can learn to play off each other and get some good cutting and moving action they might be fine. If they kind of sit there and act 28 again and just take turns being ball dominate then it could be bad.