PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox To Acquire LHP Fernando Abad

Soxfan85
08-01-2016, 01:14 PM
twins get pat light from red sox in abd deal
@JonHeyman

Abad vs lefties this year: .163/.192/.265.

@alexspeier

Abad, 30, joined the Twins on a minor league deal this offseason and has performed quite well with Minnesota, pitching to a 2.65 ERA with 7.7 K/9, 3.7 BB/9 and a 45.2 percent ground-ball rate in 34 innings of work. Heís admitted to having been bothered by a minor back issue in early July/late June, so the medical reviews here are key, but Abad never landed on the disabled list and has been used frequently by the Twins as of late, suggesting that any such troubles are behind him. Left-handers are batting a woeful .163/.192/.265 against Abad this season, so heíll provide manager John Farrell with a legitimate weapon against lefty bats in late-game settings. And, while heís been markedly worse against righties, Abad has held his own against opponents that hold the platoon advantage, limiting them to a .257/.360/.351 batting line. While the OBP is a concern there, he hasnít allowed right-handed hitters to generate much power against him.

MBTR

Bo Sox Fan
08-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Decent!

RedSoxtober
08-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Not bad. Light seemed to be struggling to get over the hump at MLB so I'm not sure it's a huge loss. Plenty of would-be SP who can take his place.

ccspence8
08-01-2016, 06:13 PM
Good move.

RedSoxtober
08-02-2016, 06:16 PM
Probably obvious but Layne was DFA to make room for Abad.

nocal_lbm
08-03-2016, 12:41 AM
I love a bad relief appearance

BoSox47
08-03-2016, 12:42 AM
Abads gives up a 3 run home run in his first outing with the red sox to let the Mariners take the lead 5-4 and ends that way. We have absolutely no luck with bringing in pitching.

nocal_lbm
08-03-2016, 12:43 AM
every pitcher we have traded for has been a complete turd so far. :mad:

nocal_lbm
08-03-2016, 12:45 AM
Abads gives up a 3 run home run in his first outing with the red sox to let the Mariners take the lead 5-4 and ends that way. We have absolutely no luck with bringing in pitching.

I guess Cano never got the "great against lefties" scouting report

j-bay
08-03-2016, 12:50 AM
Not a good look for Abad. Farrell deserves blame for this. Even though Price was doing good, he should have had someone ready.

nocal_lbm
08-03-2016, 12:59 AM
We have absolutely no luck with bringing in pitching.

thank god we didn't trade for Sale, he would be ******** the bed like the rest of them

is our pitching coach un-teaching these guys?

Fla.SticKy
08-03-2016, 03:34 AM
thank god we didn't trade for Sale, he would be ******** the bed like the rest of them

is our pitching coach un-teaching these guys?

Farrell is trash also, they both need to go. These ******* games are nauseating. Doubt Sale would've just **** the bed, but thank God we didn't trade for him for the simple reason it would've decimated the farm (and possibly cost Betts). Not giving up on my team yet, but my goodness things are looking real shady right now for us.

RedSoxtober
08-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Sad that a momentum-crushing loss like this followed two momentum-building, come-from-behind wins. Back to .500 for the road trip that has thus far featured one of the three worst teams in the AL (at least when we arrived) and a team fighting to stay at .500.

Would it be bad form to note that we're scoring fewer than 4 runs per game on the road trip? Scoring away from Fenway has been a concern of mine for a while. The offense has struggled on the road but frequent trips home have rejuvenated them. With home series fewer and farther between it could be a very frustrating stretch run.

BoSox47
08-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Not a good look for Abad. Farrell deserves blame for this. Even though Price was doing good, he should have had someone ready.

What do you mean he should have had someone else ready. Price left 2 on, Barnes came in got 1 out, they went lefty vs lefty with abad vs Cano and Abad gave up a 3 run shot. For once its not Farrells fault. Abad just left a hanging curve down and in to a left handed hitter.

RedSoxtober
08-03-2016, 05:51 PM
^ I basically agree. Although check out his 8th inning splits (here (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=priceda01&year=2016&t=p#innng)). To pitch the 8th you've got to assume that he's been having a good game like he was last night. Somehow he's blowing up.

j-bay
08-03-2016, 09:23 PM
^ I basically agree. Although check out his 8th inning splits (here (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=priceda01&year=2016&t=p#innng)). To pitch the 8th you've got to assume that he's been having a good game like he was last night. Somehow he's blowing up.

When he game out of the 7th, at least in my opinion, you could see some soghns of fatigue. He is getting back to the Price of old though.

Soxfan85
08-03-2016, 10:21 PM
He was hit by a line drive both JF and Price deny that was his problems in the 8th inning but you have to wonder if that maybe the case.

Bo Sox Fan
08-03-2016, 10:40 PM
Seattle couldn't touch Price all night until the 8th, the guy was in a comma til then. But when he went into the 8th he was at 100 pitches which is normally the end of the line these days.

Not gonna blame Price for that loss by any means. He did his job nearly going the distance, blame the bullpen.

ccspence8
08-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Farrell should have had the bullpen warming after the HR. Ziegler should've came in against cano or they should have walked cano.

Lyons and obrien acted like Abad's pitch was right down the middle, it really wasn't that bad of a curveball tbh. Cano's just that good.