PDA

View Full Version : Why does nobody want Josh McRoberts?

JasonJohnHorn
07-30-2016, 05:28 PM
A post in the NBA rumours section here reports that Josh McRoberts has been on the block for over a year, and the Heat can't even give him away for future considerations or a second-round pick.

Is there something going on with this guy?

One of the benefits is that his contract is pretty much dirt cheap these days. I realize his numbers are $#!T in Miami, but I think that is more because he has been misused. Not really a part of the offense. He doesn't get a lot of touches, even just to move the ball.

When the Hornets/Bobcats had that break out season, he was a big reason for it. His passing game was among the best at his position (4.3 per game and 5 per36), and he was a solid 3pt shooter that year (36%) and stellar the following year in Miami (42%), though he did drop off with limited touches this past season.

I realize he's not a defensive stopper, and that he hasn't been putting up strong rebounding numbers the last few season (in part due to the fact that he's been playing away from th basket), but with his range and passing game, he's more of a stretch four you put out when going with small ball. And he has put up solid rebounding numbers when he's been called upon in the past (his first 6 years he averaged over 9 boards per36).

So what's going on? If figured teams would love to have a role player with his skill set. Passing. Shooting. I coudl think of a half a dozen teams that could use him coming off the bench.

Is he an issue n the locker room? Is his defense just that bad? Are teams shy because his numbers dipped while Miami wasn't using him?

I only ever really got a chance to see him play when he was with Charlotte, and he looked pretty good then. Can anybody explain this?

TheMightyHumph
07-30-2016, 05:36 PM
He's hurt all the time.

I suggested on the Nets' board that Nets trade Jarrett Jack ($500,000 buyout) for McBob and a Heat 1st and 2nd rd pick before July 1st.

IndyRealist
07-30-2016, 05:41 PM
He was a fan favorite in Indy. Not a great defender, but he's ridiculously strong and deceptively athletic, and can lead fast breaks and finish. I think he's too passive offensively and doesn't have a post game worth guarding. If he cut harder he would be on Sportscenter every week. Each time I saw him last year he looked like he was going through the motions for a paycheck. When he was here he had fire.

IndyRealist
07-30-2016, 05:43 PM
He's hurt all the time.

I suggested on the Nets' board that Nets trade Jarrett Jack ($500,000 buyout) for McBob and a Heat 1st and 2nd rd pick before July 1st.

Multiple picks to get out from under a relatively small contract? That's absurd.

J_M_B
07-30-2016, 06:28 PM
He's hurt all the time.

Huh?

You're dreaming if you think Miami is giving up picks to get out of McRobert's contract. He's only owed 5M this season with a PO next year. I wouldn't be shocked if he opted out with all the crazy contracts being handed out now.

TheMightyHumph
07-30-2016, 07:45 PM
Huh?

You're dreaming if you think Miami is giving up picks to get out of McRobert's contract. He's only owed 5M this season with a PO next year. I wouldn't be shocked if he opted out with all the crazy contracts being handed out now.

Opted out? Heat can't give him away. He's owed $11.8 mil for this and next season. I'd say that's worth a far-future 1st rd pick and a 2nd rdr. Or Heat can just continue to pay him.

Clint Olbrock
07-30-2016, 08:13 PM
Because outside that season in Charlotte he has been hot garbage in the NBA for the most part.

Tony_Starks
07-30-2016, 08:13 PM
Stays hurt, is overpayed for his skill set, and resembles a hippy.

McAllen Tx
07-30-2016, 08:33 PM
Nick Young straight up and you got yourself a deal.

GoferKing_
07-31-2016, 06:35 PM
Because he is garbage.

GiantsSwaGG
07-31-2016, 06:39 PM
He can be useful in the right system but yeah he's TRASH!

TylerSL
07-31-2016, 07:23 PM
The Josh McRoberts signing really hasn't worked out for us at all. He's got some value to a team because he can pass and occasionally hit open threes. That said he is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hurt so he has absolutely no value. His contract was 3 years $16.6 million with a player option for another $6 million (making it 4 years $22.6 million). Unless he has a career year, he won't, he will absolutely opt in for 17-18 because even after the cap explosion he's still overpaid based on production. In two seasons he's made $10.8 million and played in only 59 games, that's 35.9% of the games possible. We tried to move him to create the space to pay Wade but could not. We possibly could have if we would have gave a pick away but I don't believe we have any 2nd rounders left to give (because we gave away future 2nd rounders to get rid of other players like Napier) and we are damn sure not shipping out a valuable 1st rounder just to dump $11.8 million in salary over 2 years, even if it is for a player who is overpaid. We're also not trading away a valuable player like Winslow, Richardson, or any other young player we like just to move this small contract. It would be better just take in on the chin.

So we couldn't give him away because we were not willing to do something that could actually hurt us long term just to dump McRoberts, just to pay Wade a couple million more over 2 years. It was a terrible situation and McRoberts has been a terrible signing. Again, he's not a terrible player but considering the circumstances his signing has really been a pot hole for the franchise. Next summer when we try to create space to go after a max player he's going to be a useless $6 million that counts against our cap. That is of course, unless he can actually get healthy and contribute something this year. I don't see it happening and I can say I've been a Heat fan since 2004-2005 season and this is easily the worst signing the team has made since since then. His value being so low cost us the cap we needed to re-sign Wade. Obviously it's not completely his fault, because we can't really blame him for getting hurt, but it's extremely unfortunate. Will be really good to move on from this when it's over.

ewing
07-31-2016, 11:33 PM
he sucks

More-Than-Most
08-01-2016, 12:37 AM

:laugh: Its actually a fair trade though.

Tony_Starks
08-01-2016, 12:43 AM

Never in my wildest dreams would I trade Swaggy for that fellow.

We actually had McRoberts briefly and he did what he always did, stayed hurt, showed flashes and generally underwhelmed.

TylerSL
08-01-2016, 01:00 AM

I'd do it in a second

McAllen Tx
08-01-2016, 02:10 AM
Never in my wildest dreams would I trade Swaggy for that fellow.

We actually had McRoberts briefly and he did what he always did, stayed hurt, showed flashes and generally underwhelmed.

I member them McBob days. And I agree he didnt do anything to warrant a return to LA. Its not at all that I want McBob but rather I want Young gone.

Heres a few reasons:
1st yes it was a ***** move on DLOs part but there was no malicious intent - just stupidity. But as long as Young is around its not gonna go away. This is DLOs year to shine and you know the hating media is not gonna let it go when DLO is playing well.

2nd watched some highlights from the Drew League, Harden vrs Young & Clarkson. Didnt care too much bout the highlights but what I did care about is apparently JC is still kicking it with Young. I'm sure Young is a cool guy to kick it with but he doesn't take basketball seriously. He did one year and got a good contract and has been crap since. Clarkson just got paid and I don't want Youngs work ethic to rub off on JC. The less time with Young the better. Send his *** to the other side if the country.

3rd Ingram is already gonna have to settle for shots after Williams but if Young is on the court as well will Ingram ever shoot. I want to see Ingram do his thing, not Young.

Our roster is just about set and both are gonna be way down the depth chart so it's not like it's gonna make much of a difference on the court, it's the stuff off the court I'm worried about.

Tony_Starks
08-01-2016, 02:28 AM
I member them McBob days. And I agree he didnt do anything to warrant a return to LA. Its not at all that I want McBob but rather I want Young gone.

Heres a few reasons:
1st yes it was a ***** move on DLOs part but there was no malicious intent - just stupidity. But as long as Young is around its not gonna go away. This is DLOs year to shine and you know the hating media is not gonna let it go when DLO is playing well.

2nd watched some highlights from the Drew League, Harden vrs Young & Clarkson. Didnt care too much bout the highlights but what I did care about is apparently JC is still kicking it with Young. I'm sure Young is a cool guy to kick it with but he doesn't take basketball seriously. He did one year and got a good contract and has been crap since. Clarkson just got paid and I don't want Youngs work ethic to rub off on JC. The less time with Young the better. Send his *** to the other side if the country.

3rd Ingram is already gonna have to settle for shots after Williams but if Young is on the court as well will Ingram ever shoot. I want to see Ingram do his thing, not Young.

Our roster is just about set and both are gonna be way down the depth chart so it's not like it's gonna make much of a difference on the court, it's the stuff off the court I'm worried about.

That's funny I was actually going to go to th Drew this weekend and got caught up. Your right tho, looks like Young and Clarkson are still pretty tight.

I have a feeling they are going to let Nick get some playing time and get his value up, then ship him out.

He can still play, he's not washed up by any stretch. Just couldn't get out of B Scotts doghouse.

I agree for his sake and the youngsters its best he move on...

McAllen Tx
08-01-2016, 02:47 AM
That's funny I was actually going to go to th Drew this weekend and got caught up. Your right tho, looks like Young and Clarkson are still pretty tight.

I have a feeling they are going to let Nick get some playing time and get his value up, then ship him out.

He can still play, he's not washed up by any stretch. Just couldn't get out of B Scotts doghouse.

I agree for his sake and the youngsters its best he move on...

How much can Youngs value go up? A 2nd round pick from a veteran playoffs team = pick 45+

I won't lose any sleep over that. Dont think the juice is worth the squeeze. Too much drama for the return.

McBob isnt my 1st choice for Young but if it came down to it I would understand it's in the best interest of the team.