PDA

View Full Version : Summer Forecast: 2016-17 Most Valuable Player (ESPN)

Htownballa1622
07-29-2016, 11:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17155333/2016-summer-forecast-most-valuable-player

1. Lebron James
2. Russell Westbrook
3. Kevin Durant
4. Kawhi Leonard
5. Stephen Curry

Others receiving votes:
James Harden
Chris Paul
Paul George
Lamarcus Aldridge
Blake Griffin
Karl-Anthony Towns
Damian Lillard

Vee-Rex
07-29-2016, 11:32 AM
My list looks more like:

1. Russell Westbrook - only if he can manage to get the Thunder into the playoffs
2. Kawhi Leonard
3. LeBron James
4. James Harden - maybe higher if the Rox make the playoffs
5. Chris Paul

Steph and KD would probably be after that along with the others.

Tony_Starks
07-29-2016, 11:41 AM
After that Finals performance I can't doubt that Bron has a legit shot at it, especially if Kyrie continues his natural progression making Lebrons load a lot easier.

For me it will boil down to Westbrook or KD though. Westbrook is just about to have a monster season for the ages and KD will be playing the most efficient ball of his life.

3 man race.

Dade County
07-29-2016, 11:48 AM
Curry

mudvayne387
07-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Logic would have it that Curry/Durant are going to steal each others stats.

As for LeBron, I think you will see his stats take a small hit as he will make it a point to build the confidence of both Irving and Love for another title run.

The Spurs are just too team orientated for Leonard to put up the gaudy numbers that the voters seek. I think he will see a lot of 2nd place finishes throughout his career.

Westbook will be the MVP barring injuries. On a contract year where he is now the undisputed number one on the Thunder, it is his to lose.

I can see him putting up 28/8/8 next year

HandsOnTheWheel
07-29-2016, 01:32 PM
Lebron coasts thru regular seasons. I can see him get it if the Cavs win 60+ games and he has relatively healthy averages (to his standard at least), otherwise he could give a two ***** either way.

No way anyone on the Warriors win it. Much too little scoring to go around, plus they aren't going to try like they did last year in the reg season which means a lot less wins IMO despite that they got Durant.

Hawkeye15
07-29-2016, 01:37 PM
Towns!

seriously though, it will probably not be LeBron, he coasts now, Durant will get media pushback, so:

Westbrook
Curry
Leonard
Harden

those are probably my 4 guesses on who fights for it

ManRam
07-29-2016, 02:38 PM
LeBron's still the best player but he'd be the last guy I'd bet on to win it.

I do think we'll have a new MVP next year. And I think t's an interesting race. I don't see a path for Curry or KD unless one of the two go down and they win 70+ games again. I can't see Russ, who probably puts up the best counting numbers, winning it unless that team nabs a top-3 seed...which I don't think they can. LeBron isn't getting it.

Kinda leaves me thinking Kawhi.

Tony_Starks
07-29-2016, 02:52 PM
I wonder how many times has the player ESPN predicts will MVP actually won it?

I'm guessing the percentage is pretty high seeing as how they play a large role in both voting and pushing the narrative.

Scoots
07-29-2016, 02:58 PM
I wonder how many times has the player ESPN predicts will MVP actually won it?

I'm guessing the percentage is pretty high seeing as how they play a large role in both voting and pushing the narrative.

I don't think ESPN the organization has that long a memory. More likely the people who did this are not going to talk about it unless they are right.

If the Warriors average 130ppg one of them will win it :)

jerellh528
07-29-2016, 03:27 PM
I think it'll be Paul George.

ManRam
07-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Yeah...I don't buy into the "ESPN pre-season MVP prediction" conspiracy theory :laugh:

da ThRONe
07-29-2016, 05:18 PM
LeBrons going to have to be crazy efficient like even more so than his last few Heat season to win MVP and the Cavs have to win 65+ games. Like everybody mentioned he's coasting in the regular season. I think the most obvious pick is Westbrook especially if he stays in OKC. My darkhorse would be Blake Griffin if he can stay healthy. I think he has the most to prove with what appears as a decline the last few years. He was in MVP form before the string of injuries.

Chronz
07-29-2016, 06:20 PM
Bron shot up by default, his 2 closest rivals for the award have joined forces so they should siphon each others value, kind of how Kobe and Shaq did back then.

I would love to see CP3 win it as a career thing, he prolly wont be most deserving but many felt he was robbed in prior years so it would be a full circle type thing. At this point tho, I would rather throw my money at a Blake with chip on his shoulder.

RWB winning it is likely going to come with his team winning the least games an MVP has won in recent memory but its open field for sure.

Kawhi is a good gamble too.

naps
07-29-2016, 06:51 PM
I dont think LeBron cares anymore about regular season awards after making 6 straight finals. Just too many extra mileage and preferences. But he actually has a shot at it this year since KD and Curry will have split votes. Westbrook will have a monster year but his team record won't be good enough much like Wade in 2008-09.

cmellofan15
07-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Ehhhh total crapshoot but I'll go with Kawhi or Harden

More-Than-Most
07-29-2016, 07:40 PM
I just dont understand how people do not realize James will never win another MVP... He wont play hard enough all year to do it.

Westy/Curry by far are my votes

JordansBulls
07-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Dwyane Wade will win it he has something to prove in Chicago leading us to 57-63 wins and the title as well.

5ass
07-29-2016, 07:54 PM
Dwyane Wade will win it he has something to prove in Chicago leading us to 57-63 wins and the title as well.

The world needs a cure for dementia. Together we can make it happen.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-29-2016, 08:00 PM

He'll end up the best player in Bulls history too.

JordansBulls
07-29-2016, 09:27 PM
He'll end up the best player in Bulls history too.

Top 3-4

DR_1
08-01-2016, 02:25 PM
I think Westbrook gets it