PDA

View Full Version : NBA 1st Major Sport to Provide Lifetime Health Insurance for Retired Players

Tony_Starks
07-28-2016, 09:25 AM
This is pretty huge. Props to the NBA for being ahead of the curve on this one, was kindof shocked provisions like this weren't already in place and it's become such a large issue.
------------------------------

NEW YORK, July 27, 2016 The National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) announced today that its player representatives have voted unanimously to fund health insurance for all retired NBA players with at least three years of service in the league. This program is the first of its kind among North American professional sports. It also exemplifies the NBPAs focus on the health and welfare of its current, retired and future members.

The game has never before been more popular, and all the players in our league today recognize that were only in this position because of the hard work and dedication of the men who came before us, said Chris Paul, NBPA President and nine-time All-Star. Its important that we take care of our entire extended NBA family, and Im proud of my fellow players for taking this unprecedented step to ensure the health and well-being of our predecessors.

Retired players with between three and six years of NBA service time but who are not yet eligible for Medicare would be offered a plan that includes medical, hospital and prescription drug coverage with modest out-of-pocket costs for deductibles and co-pays;

Those with between seven and nine years of service would be offered the same coverage with even lower out-of-pocket costs;
Retired players with at least 10 years of service would be offered the same coverage as the seven-to-nine-year players, and would include coverage for their entire family;

Retired players with three to nine years of service who are eligible for Medicare would be offered a $0 deductible and $0 co-pay plan along with a low-cost prescription drug plan; those with 10+ years of service to receive this coverage for themselves and their spouse.

The open enrollment period for retired players would begin this fall, with coverage beginning on January 1, 2017.

http://nbpa.com/current-nba-players-break-new-ground-by-choosing-to-fund-health-insurance-for-retired-nba-players/

TrueFan420
07-28-2016, 09:48 AM
Wow that's impressive. Wonder how long it will take for the NFLPA to follow

SupremeNY.
07-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Nba always ahead of everyone.

nycericanguy
07-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Do construction workers get lifetime health insurance?

NBA players are so extremely pampered these days, good for them, but they are probably the last people that need free lifetime health care. Anyone that plays long enough to really damage their body these days will have made millions by the time they retire.

IndyRealist
07-28-2016, 10:38 AM

NBA players are so extremely pampered these days, good for them, but they are probably the last people that need free lifetime health care. Anyone that plays long enough to really damage their body these days will have made millions by the time they retire.

I mean, this is the player's association, not the NBA. Players are choosing to take of players, and they are paying for it with their union dues. I don't see how that's pampering

Tony_Starks
07-28-2016, 10:54 AM

Wrong on so many levels.

First off how long does one have to play exactly to "really damage" their body? When you're playing at the professional level of these guys at the very least there will be some wear and tear arthritic issues later, and that's from a normal relatively injury free career. Throw in injuries and there will definitely be some chronic issues requiring attention.

Secondly you want to compare them to construction workers? Really? Are construction workers part of a multi billion dollar organization?

Chronz
07-28-2016, 11:01 AM

What about those older folks who were making pittance carrying the league, which allowed it to grow, which allowed all these players/owners to make millions.

Scoots
07-28-2016, 11:34 AM
I mean, this is the player's association, not the NBA. Players are choosing to take of players, and they are paying for it with their union dues. I don't see how that's pampering

It has come up for a vote in front of pretty much every pro sports union and has always been shot down because twenty something players think they are going to live forever and make up the majority of the players in the unions. What has bothered me about that is that when retired players are having financial issues because of their health expenses they sue the league rather than the union.

Good for the NBAPA, hopefully this starts things moving forward for the other unions too.

nycericanguy
07-28-2016, 11:52 AM
What about those older folks who were making pittance carrying the league, which allowed it to grow, which allowed all these players/owners to make millions.

delete... completely misread...lol. looks like they are funding retired players and thats a good thing!

Tony_Starks
07-28-2016, 12:45 PM
It has come up for a vote in front of pretty much every pro sports union and has always been shot down because twenty something players think they are going to live forever and make up the majority of the players in the unions. What has bothered me about that is that when retired players are having financial issues because of their health expenses they sue the league rather than the union.

Good for the NBAPA, hopefully this starts things moving forward for the other unions too.

Good to see these young dudes wise up and realize they won't be jumping out of the gym forever and need a plan. I think the Sean Rooks death woke a lot of guys up, he was still relatively young.

The provisions for their family is pretty cool too.

TylerSL
07-28-2016, 02:54 PM
This is why the NBA is BY FAR the greatest sport there is. For me the on court competition is greater because it goes uninterrupted. Whereas, MLB has to wait for the pitcher to throw and the batter has to be able to make contact before something exciting happens and the NFL has to take the time to set up every play, not to mention the long breaks when the football changes hands. So the on court product is more exciting and on top of it the people that make it possible run a great program.

The family mentality that is the NBA community is what is truly remarkable about this sport. They go out and compete at the highest level but afterward they go way out of their way to take care of each other and their communities. They stand for social acceptance and are always on the right side of history. Whether it's advocating stopping gun violence, improving race relations, or supporting the LGBT community, the NBA is always on it. They realize the position of power they are in and they make such a concerted effort to make this world a better place.

Lastly, the owners take care of the players. Sure they made it hard for teams to spend big in the last CBA but that doesn't hurt the players financially. They get fully guaranteed contracts and now they will be afforded medical coverage solely because they played this terrific game. I can't say enough about the NBA and this will always be the greatest sport in my book. No debate at all.

Saddletramp
07-28-2016, 07:24 PM
That's great on so many levels. Kudos.

Heediot
07-30-2016, 07:24 AM
Great news.

I think NBA and baseball life insurance is a hell of a lot cheaper vs. Concussion liable sports like Hockey and the NFL.

It's still great as they are setting a precedent here for sports in general.

AllBall
07-30-2016, 07:39 AM
That is a great move by the players and NBPA

DR_1
08-01-2016, 02:58 PM
:clap:

IndyRealist
08-02-2016, 08:52 AM
Great news.

I think NBA and baseball life insurance is a hell of a lot cheaper vs. Concussion liable sports like Hockey and the NFL.

It's still great as they are setting a precedent here for sports in general.

I saw the concussion protocol invoked quite a bit last season. Obviously not as much as football, but they're being extra cautious with it. Aside from WR and RB, the NBA is a lot faster and there are no helmets.