PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Time to Rebuild/Tank?

basketfan4life
07-27-2016, 04:58 AM
I was thinking about what should the Lakers do, which way should they go and so on. And i tought not only the Lakers but a lot of teams in this league should value young and big potential players more than anything.

Maybe i wouldn't even want to pair Westbrook with Griffin if i'm OKC/Boston or anything that sort. Because i can't think of a way that a team can take down GSW or Cle(in the east and if they add DMC all league).

Maybe the best thing to do is try to develop your young guns so they can hit their prime when GSW and Cle really start to fall. So i don't want LAL to trade anyone for Westbrook and other young teams should do the same.

What are your toughts?

McAllen Tx
07-27-2016, 07:57 AM
I believe that Kupchak was way ahead of the curveball and other GMs will begin to copy the Lakers blueprint from the last few seasons.

MK knew Kobe was on his last legs, he knew they weren't gonna be able to sign no top free agents the 2 summers before this one so what did he do?

First he gave Kobe a ridiculous contract and then he put up a stall tactic (smokescreen) by chasing Melo & LMA while all the mid tier free agents signed elsewhere. After he failed to land neither Melo or LMA he filled the roster with scrubs on 1 year deals and tanked so hard, it made Philly proud.

We could've signed the likes of Isaiah Thomas, Lance Stephenson and others but it wouldve hurt our tanking. I say this cause we had to tank really hard just to keep our picks.

Yes we got crapped on and hated on but we got Ingram & Russell to show for it.

I say MK was ahead of the curveball cause he knew we were gonna be stuck in the middle for a decade AFTER Kobe if we wouldve kept trying to put a winning team around Kobe, he instead used Kobes last 2 years to get a jump on rebuilding.

Scoots
07-27-2016, 02:58 PM
I believe that Kupchak was way ahead of the curveball and other GMs will begin to copy the Lakers blueprint from the last few seasons.

MK knew Kobe was on his last legs, he knew they weren't gonna be able to sign no top free agents the 2 summers before this one so what did he do?

First he gave Kobe a ridiculous contract and then he put up a stall tactic (smokescreen) by chasing Melo & LMA while all the mid tier free agents signed elsewhere. After he failed to land neither Melo or LMA he filled the roster with scrubs on 1 year deals and tanked so hard, it made Philly proud.

We could've signed the likes of Isaiah Thomas, Lance Stephenson and others but it wouldve hurt our tanking. I say this cause we had to tank really hard just to keep our picks.

Yes we got crapped on and hated on but we got Ingram & Russell to show for it.

I say MK was ahead of the curveball cause he knew we were gonna be stuck in the middle for a decade AFTER Kobe if we wouldve kept trying to put a winning team around Kobe, he instead used Kobes last 2 years to get a jump on rebuilding.

I've been saying this for years and being told by Lakers fans that the Lakers were not tanking.

What I wonder is will they tank one more year to save 2 first round picks?

The perfect time to tank was what the Warriors did when Steph was tweaking his ankle and they shut him down for half a season despite him saying he could play and losing at an astonishing rate to keep their pick in the draft they picked up Barnes, Ezeli, and Green. Tank for half a year and lay the foundation for a title. That's how you tank right :)

The Spurs saw David Robinson get hurt and tanked for Timmy. That was perfect timing.

McAllen Tx
07-27-2016, 03:29 PM
I've been saying this for years and being told by Lakers fans that the Lakers were not tanking.

What I wonder is will they tank one more year to save 2 first round picks?

The perfect time to tank was what the Warriors did when Steph was tweaking his ankle and they shut him down for half a season despite him saying he could play and losing at an astonishing rate to keep their pick in the draft they picked up Barnes, Ezeli, and Green. Tank for half a year and lay the foundation for a title. That's how you tank right :)

The Spurs saw David Robinson get hurt and tanked for Timmy. That was perfect timing.

With our FA signings we're definately tanking 1 last year. Gonna use player development to camouflage the tank. It's the smart thing to do.

Chronz
07-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Believe it or not, you sound exactly like all my L friends. I will admit tho, its far easier to see the upside of a promising core when you know whatever comes next couldn't possibly be as hard as the prior regime. It actually reminds me of what significantly fewer Laker fans were telling me back in 1997 or whatever. MJ was ruling the league and the Lakers sported the games best big with plenty of prime years to wait out MJ and they had the guy with the best prospects of actually becoming MJ. Lo and behold they were right, I wouldn't be shocked if the Lakers came back with their current crew but we all agree its a few years away right?

The only reason I ask you that is because just as we might be right that the Lakers rebound, I would have been right about it taking much longer than most of you purple and gold bastards ever like to admit. When the Shaq trade happened I told anyone who would listen that they wouldn't get out of this hole until the Brian Grant contract had expired. That despite landing 2 guys who helped the Heat rebuild into a playoff team, the loss of Shaq was FAR greater than they anticipated. This time, I told them it was worse because there is no Kobe on the precipice of his peak years, you guys are in the stage of hopefully finding the next kobe if not greater.

McAllen Tx
07-27-2016, 07:22 PM
The reason I say we're gonna tank is our draft situation. If we owed our pick w/o protections of course we don't tank and most likely approach free agency differently. If we didn't owe our pick we also don't tank and let the pick fall wherever it falls. And again most likely approach free agency differently. If we owed our pick (top 3 protected) and was a borderline playoffs team we don't tank and approach free agency differently.

But before free agency started we were at best 4th worst team in the NBA. With no shot at KD and all the free agents that can make a real impact staying with their teams, there was no hope to even move up to 7th-8th worst team in the NBA so why try.

The fact that we can still keep our pick (top 3 at that) next year and by doing so we keep our 1st in 2019 has to be the plan. Especially with the perfect camouflage : player development.

basketfan4life
07-28-2016, 03:42 AM
Believe it or not, you sound exactly like all my L friends. I will admit tho, its far easier to see the upside of a promising core when you know whatever comes next couldn't possibly be as hard as the prior regime. It actually reminds me of what significantly fewer Laker fans were telling me back in 1997 or whatever. MJ was ruling the league and the Lakers sported the games best big with plenty of prime years to wait out MJ and they had the guy with the best prospects of actually becoming MJ. Lo and behold they were right, I wouldn't be shocked if the Lakers came back with their current crew but we all agree its a few years away right?

The only reason I ask you that is because just as we might be right that the Lakers rebound, I would have been right about it taking much longer than most of you purple and gold bastards ever like to admit. When the Shaq trade happened I told anyone who would listen that they wouldn't get out of this hole until the Brian Grant contract had expired. That despite landing 2 guys who helped the Heat rebuild into a playoff team, the loss of Shaq was FAR greater than they anticipated. This time, I told them it was worse because there is no Kobe on the precipice of his peak years, you guys are in the stage of hopefully finding the next kobe if not greater.

Yes, it is a little painful to say but, it seems at least 4-5 years away. Young players could step up to superstardom in 2-3 years(and i don't think this is the case with Lakers' youngsters considering they are all too young) but to have that winning mentality and experience takes much longer than that. May be more than 4-5 years.

On the other hand there is a hyperteam in golden state. They have the last 2 mvps to go along with one of the two best and versatile defenders and one of the 2 best sg's in the league. And they are all young and hitting their prime/peak years. I mean what hope do other teams have ? If cleveland gets DMC that is a matchup if not it would take even more miraculous series from LBJ and even Irving and i don't know if it is humanly possible.

Aust
07-28-2016, 04:19 AM
Now is a damn good time to be rebuilding

Scoots
07-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Walton is going to install a new pace and space offense and there will be some teething issues getting the guys to buy in. I don't know that any of the youngsters on the team is a natural defender so there is more learning to do there. I know Walton is good at managing and motivating players and has a good offensive scheme mind, Shaw is a good player development guy and it looks like Madsen is good at working with players, but who is the defensive scheme guy?

If the Lakers go full youth development this year I don't know that they are bad enough to finish in the bottom 3. They may need some timely injuries too.

hugepatsfan
07-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Trying to compete with Curry/Durant/Green/Klay is stupidity. Every team other than CLE/SA should be working on a 5 year plan right now. Not necessarily a tear down but any sort of win now move barring the most extreme circumstances would be dumb.

Chronz
07-28-2016, 11:59 AM
Trying to compete with Curry/Durant/Green/Klay is stupidity. Every team other than CLE/SA should be working on a 5 year plan right now. Not necessarily a tear down but any sort of win now move barring the most extreme circumstances would be dumb.

If enough teams/players think that way, I think we will see some other guys get unloaded onto other teams just to get the contending teams up.

hugepatsfan
07-28-2016, 12:22 PM
If enough teams/players think that way, I think we will see some other guys get unloaded onto other teams just to get the contending teams up.

That's what I'm hoping for. Only way to make the league semi-interesting after Durant's decision. We need all the stars loaded up onto like 3 or 4 other teams. We need everyone else to sell. The league never had parity throughout but it's always had competitiveness at the top. Now we have one team towering over everyone else - lame and boring. If all the other teams sell the regular season and even early playoffs will be crap (to a far greater extend than they already are) with so many garbage teams but at least the Finals and conference finals will be entertaining.

Tony_Starks
07-28-2016, 12:55 PM

I don't think it's that black and white. If I'm OKC, for example, I will take my chances with Russ running the show with nothing to lose in the playoffs. The only question would be if I'm going to gamble on him staying or just cut bait while I can get some return for him.

Now the Clippers present a interesting situation. They actually have a legit shot at Dubs/Spurs but how long do they wait to see if everything is clicking? It's almost like if if they don't come out the gate like gangbusters then screw it, I'd blow it up.

In the east it's a lot simpler because if you're a 50 win or better team you only have one focus: Cleveland. You're entire team should be constructed in a way to matchup with them.

ewing
07-28-2016, 01:22 PM
it always time to tank. I think GS should start rebuilding right now!

Scoots
07-28-2016, 01:38 PM
I don't get people talking about GS being so dominant. They won more games than any team ever last year and BARELY made it to the finals where they lost. Then they lost a lot of veteran talent and really only upgraded at one position. Now it's a MAJOR upgrade at that one position, but Iguodala, Livingston, West, Varejao, and Pachulia are all past their primes and more likely to get hurt. The youngsters are unheralded with 2 being the last pick in the first round, 1 2nd round pick and 2 un-drafted (that's 1/3 of the roster). A little bad luck (like the playoffs last year) and the Warriors could come back to the pack real quick.

hugepatsfan
07-28-2016, 01:46 PM
I don't think it's that black and white. If I'm OKC, for example, I will take my chances with Russ running the show with nothing to lose in the playoffs. The only question would be if I'm going to gamble on him staying or just cut bait while I can get some return for him.

Now the Clippers present a interesting situation. They actually have a legit shot at Dubs/Spurs but how long do they wait to see if everything is clicking? It's almost like if if they don't come out the gate like gangbusters then screw it, I'd blow it up.

In the east it's a lot simpler because if you're a 50 win or better team you only have one focus: Cleveland. You're entire team should be constructed in a way to matchup with them.

OKC can keep Russ and their 0.000001% chance of winning it all with Westbrook for the rest of his career... then 5 years from now they'll have no title and not be in very good position to transition to the next era.

LAC really aren't that close. Maybe they can nudge their way to SA's level but SA isn't even close to being as good as GS. This GS team is a ****ing monster. You really can't under-emphasize the gap between them and #2. On paper of course but realistically expecting anyone to even compete with Curry/Durant/Green/Thompson and then a pretty good group of role players is blind faith. It's not based in logic or realism at all.

In the East who ****ing cares? Maybe you get lucky and squeak by CLE... with the reward of getting your *** handed to you in the Finals. Oh my, what an accomplishment.

And I know you're going to respond that nothing is certain, anyone can have a bad series... all true. But building your franchise on the basis that a team might lose a couple players to injury or you have a miracle all-time upset just isn't smart team-building. It isn't putting yourself in the truly best position to win. If you focus on player development and try to grow some pieces then a few years from now when GS isn't a freight train ready to run everyone over then you'll be in terrific position to actually win a title, not just have blind faith for a little before you get curb stomped.

Scoots
07-28-2016, 02:17 PM
OKC can keep Russ and their 0.000001% chance of winning it all with Westbrook for the rest of his career... then 5 years from now they'll have no title and not be in very good position to transition to the next era.

LAC really aren't that close. Maybe they can nudge their way to SA's level but SA isn't even close to being as good as GS. This GS team is a ****ing monster. You really can't under-emphasize the gap between them and #2. On paper of course but realistically expecting anyone to even compete with Curry/Durant/Green/Thompson and then a pretty good group of role players is blind faith. It's not based in logic or realism at all.

In the East who ****ing cares? Maybe you get lucky and squeak by CLE... with the reward of getting your *** handed to you in the Finals. Oh my, what an accomplishment.

And I know you're going to respond that nothing is certain, anyone can have a bad series... all true. But building your franchise on the basis that a team might lose a couple players to injury or you have a miracle all-time upset just isn't smart team-building. It isn't putting yourself in the truly best position to win. If you focus on player development and try to grow some pieces then a few years from now when GS isn't a freight train ready to run everyone over then you'll be in terrific position to actually win a title, not just have blind faith for a little before you get curb stomped.

The Cavs have size the Warriors lack. The Spurs have Gasol and Aldridge which the Warriors can't really counter on the defensive end and with Leonard and Green defending the wings the Spurs are a matchup problem for the Warriors.

In general the Warriors should be favored, but we were saying the same things about the Heatles and they lost half the time in the finals and so far the Warriors have lost half the time in the finals. The great Celtics and Lakers teams of the 80s lost more than they won. It's just WAY too uncertain for good teams to fold up shop for the next few years. There will be great basketball played in the NBA and not all of it is going to be the Warriors.

Chronz
07-28-2016, 02:17 PM
I don't get people talking about GS being so dominant. They won more games than any team ever last year and BARELY made it to the finals where they lost. Then they lost a lot of veteran talent and really only upgraded at one position. Now it's a MAJOR upgrade at that one position, but Iguodala, Livingston, West, Varejao, and Pachulia are all past their primes and more likely to get hurt. The youngsters are unheralded with 2 being the last pick in the first round, 1 2nd round pick and 2 un-drafted (that's 1/3 of the roster). A little bad luck (like the playoffs last year) and the Warriors could come back to the pack real quick.

Alil bad luck? We need alot of bad luck

basketfan4life
07-28-2016, 02:52 PM
KD was about to be my favourite player after Kobe but man he really chickened out, if that is how you guys use the phrase.

KD is a ***** for what he did, and with all due respect to lbj especially after this years finals, he is a ***** too for showing the way.

Scoots
07-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Alil bad luck? We need alot of bad luck

If the Warriors lose any of the main 4 I think the Spurs and Cavs are right there.

Tony_Starks
07-28-2016, 04:07 PM

You know people love to overreact and crown champions based off names, without any regard of seeing how it fits.

Look no further than last years playoffs. The vast majority swore it was between GS and the Spurs with Cleveland just fighting for a consolation prize.

Even when the Finals were starting they were claiming you guys would steamroll. I think it was only Veerex, myself, and maybe 1 Lebron Super Stan that even liked Clevelands chances.

Chronz
07-28-2016, 04:44 PM
If the Warriors lose any of the main 4 I think the Spurs and Cavs are right there.

It took injuries and suspensions for the Cavs to be right there, that same team added kd.

Dubs have to lose more than 1 guy

Chronz
07-28-2016, 04:52 PM
You know people love to overreact and crown champions based off names, without any regard of seeing how it fits.

Look no further than last years playoffs. The vast majority swore it was between GS and the Spurs with Cleveland just fighting for a consolation prize.

Even when the Finals were starting they were claiming you guys would steamroll. I think it was only Veerex, myself, and maybe 1 Lebron Super Stan that even liked Clevelands chances.
Because objective fans don't disregard probabilities. The same team that choked/suffered injuries/suspensions just added kd

It took a miracle to win and the enemy just added kd and you think we're crazy for once again siding with the most realistic outcome?

Lmfao so when the nuggets miraculously beat the Sonics we should expect the same outcome more often than not?

Lmfao pass on that bs. The fact that upsets happen don't outweigh historical trends no matter how much you hate lebron

hugepatsfan
07-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Players and coaches should always have the belief that anything can happen. But GMs have to have a sense of realism. It doesn't make sense to build towards a team that needs a stroke of miraculous luck to win. If that's the end game then you're better off building with future goals in mind.

Tony_Starks
07-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Because objective fans don't disregard probabilities. The same team that choked/suffered injuries/suspensions just added kd

It took a miracle to win and the enemy just added kd and you think we're crazy for once again siding with the most realistic outcome?

Lmfao so when the nuggets miraculously beat the Sonics we should expect the same outcome more often than not?

Lmfao pass on that bs. The fact that upsets happen don't outweigh historical trends no matter how much you hate lebron

Was Cleveland winning that huge of a upset tho? A lot of things went wrong on GS behalf but if you're of the opinion Lebron James was the best player in that series then it should've almost been expected if Kyrie lived up to his end, which he did and then some.

When that Finals started I said that me being a Magic Johnson or Kobe fan if that's my guy in Lebrons position I'm taking Cleveland easy, people scoffed. But look at what happened, he did what a legend would do.

That's why they are the greatest of the greats.

Scoots
07-28-2016, 05:25 PM
It took injuries and suspensions for the Cavs to be right there, that same team added kd.

Dubs have to lose more than 1 guy
Warriors lost Bogut, Ezeli, and Barbosa this off-season without replacing their best skills. They didn't just add KD.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Scoots
07-28-2016, 05:27 PM

Nobody is saying the warriors shouldn't be favored. It's the idea that everyone else should just fold for the next 5 years.

Tony_Starks
07-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Warriors lost Bogut, Ezeli, and Barbosa this off-season without replacing their best skills. They didn't just add KD.

Exactly all those guys contributed. Bogut going out was HUGE in the Finals, it basically left the paint wide open.

Part of what made you guys so great was the depth.

They're still the favorites but there are a lot of question marks in the air and gaps to fill outside the starting lineup.

It's not as simple as just pencil them in for the chip.

Chronz
07-28-2016, 07:05 PM
Was Cleveland winning that huge of a upset tho? A lot of things went wrong on GS behalf but if you're of the opinion Lebron James was the best player in that series then it should've almost been expected if Kyrie lived up to his end, which he did and then some.

When that Finals started I said that me being a Magic Johnson or Kobe fan if that's my guy in Lebrons position I'm taking Cleveland easy, people scoffed. But look at what happened, he did what a legend would do.

That's why they are the greatest of the greats.
No it shouldn't have been expected. Been paying attention to history far too long to break it down so simply

Chronz
07-28-2016, 07:09 PM
Nobody is saying the warriors shouldn't be favored. It's the idea that everyone else should just fold for the next 5 years.

Your argument hinges on me being stupid enough to think those peripheral players matter more than adding Kevin mother ****ing durant. Dude do you have no clue how many franchises would've risen to contention had he joined them. And he chose one of the teams that didn't need him? Lmfao its unprecedented cowardice bro.

I don't Care what parallels you draw, we've been explaining it for weeks and you still don't understand.

Chronz
07-28-2016, 07:12 PM
Exactly all those guys contributed. Bogut going out was HUGE in the Finals, it basically left the paint wide open.

Part of what made you guys so great was the depth.

They're still the favorites but there are a lot of question marks in the air and gaps to fill outside the starting lineup.

It's not as simple as just pencil them in for the chip.

Without even knowing it, you've degraded the Cavs run.
Thirty lost peripheral players and added guys who could command much more money. Basically you guys expect me to believe that losing guys like bogut and replacing them with West and zaza is suppose to outweigh adding Kevon mo****ing durant?

Cmon you guys, at least try to be objective

Chronz
07-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Lmfao to penicilling in a champion. The team that was favored to win added the best player they could possibly add. And you folks want us to ignore that. Lol yall never gambled i can tell you that much

Bruno
07-28-2016, 07:17 PM
the Lakers rebuild was pretty ideal. show the future core how LA treats their home grown talent, print money at the gate for a GOAT caliber player farewell tour (so you can pay for the stupidity of the 20 worst owners, who you some how owe money to), secure three consecutive lottery picks, secure three talented 2nd round assets (who perform more like mid or late 1sts than they do 2nd rounders), don't convince yourself that you're ready too soon by blowing your load, no trades (yet). they sign Mozgov and Deng for twice their actual value in attempt to hyper inflate the market and to prevent a real impact FA from making the team 100% too good to collect an another lottery asset.

Mozgov will be amnestied under the new CBA (1-2 years from now), but in the mean time they got above the floor, and he can speed up the development of Zubac; I'm a huge fan of the paring and I expect Zubac to be the starting Laker center by March. The Mozgov signing was a strategical swing for the fences, I'm fine with that. with all these bird rights and the high likely of an additional amnesty, it does not matter. at all.

The Lakers might have the talent to challenge a win total in the mid 30's, but if they're smart and play everyone under 22 legitimate minutes, they might actually have a chance of keeping next years pick too. thats what I'm rooting for now. legitimate development and major minutes for young players who just aren't good enough to win more than 30 games yet. i'm talking Zubac and Ingram taking Deng and Mozgov type minutes in March. Clarkson, Nance, Brown and Zubac is an incredible core to have plucked out of the second round. has any single team done better in the second round the past four drafts? Lakers have owned that.

Picture an NBA in 2020. Blake, Lillard, and Cousins will be in their early 30's, Harden and Westbrook will be going on 32, Curry and Durant are going on 33, Chris Paul will be going on 35, That's a western conference that will be in transition and dominated by the Wolves and Lakers after the changing of the guard. Utah, Phoenix, NO, and probably the Spurs program will challenge. Out west, the 2020's will be the Wolves and Lakers decade, much like the 2000 were the Lakers and Spurs. injuries and FA randomness will shake things up, but thats how its looking now. What year will the Warriors be too old? I think well witness a hell of a battle between the generations as the Durant/Curry age group ages out.

DeAngelo Russell for Mike Conleys expiring?!? WHO SAYS NO?!?!?! Remember when Simmons asked that to House on his pod? classic simmons. the Lakers assets core is really good, it's better than Bostons. Jalen Brown and the draft and stash rights to the entire Adriatic league isn't a better haul than Ingram and Zubac. Marcus Smart isn't better than DeAngelo either. The Celtics should have bottomed out AND collected the Brooklyn picks. Boston is better because of Horford/Thomas/Crowder, but the Lakers have higher quality young assets. Seems like the only people who take issue with the Laker rebuild are non Laker fans and non Laker people. interesting.

Kobe!

Bruno
07-28-2016, 07:25 PM
I think the best way to rebuild is to do what Boston did, which is trim the fat before it sizzles (trade out aging all-stars for future picks) or to stealth tank behind an aging name, while selling tickets.

Imagine how far ahead of the rebuild game the Lakers would be now if they did was Boston did. If they traded Pau, Bynum and Odom for future picks. Pau and Odom walked for nothing, Bynum for a player who had one year left on his deal, who is a known *****.

The mistake that Cuban has made is that he's still been trying to put a legitimate contender around Dirk. Remember when the Lakers didn't give Chandler parsons $16M because of Kobes 'huge' contract? How selfish of Kobe, how stupid of the Lakers. Except that if you're Dallas you ultimately gave Chandler Parsons $30M of Dirks money for the opportunity to...drop in the lottery and achieve mediocrity. The Mavs are destined to float in upper team mediocrity unless they get lucky enough to land another Dirk caliber player outside the top five of a lottery. Cuban is too committed to be at least average for anything BUT that to happen, pending a surprising FA signing. DeAndre was close I guess, but that team is still a second round exit, right?

You gotta commit and accept when its over.

Bruno
07-28-2016, 07:29 PM
An overt tank is a bad idea. The league gets mad and before you know it you're quoting Abraham Lincoln in the attempt to spite the invisible hand. Hinkie is fully responsible for the beautiful potential in Philadelphia, and he's not going to be around to enjoy any of it. You have to convince people that you're actually trying to win, that why I love the aging super-star route.

Scoots
07-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Your argument hinges on me being stupid enough to think those peripheral players matter more than adding Kevin mother ****ing durant. Dude do you have no clue how many franchises would've risen to contention had he joined them. And he chose one of the teams that didn't need him? Lmfao its unprecedented cowardice bro.

I don't Care what parallels you draw, we've been explaining it for weeks and you still don't understand.
Either you are being intentionally obtuse or you are dumb. I'm not saying the warriors are underdogs. I'm not saying anything about Durant's choice. I'm saying that it's never certain any team is going to win. And the warriors have some new weaknesses they didn't have last year.

McAllen Tx
07-29-2016, 06:55 AM
I think the best way to rebuild is to do what Boston did, which is trim the fat before it sizzles (trade out aging all-stars for future picks) or to stealth tank behind an aging name, while selling tickets.

Imagine how far ahead of the rebuild game the Lakers would be now if they did was Boston did. If they traded Pau, Bynum and Odom for future picks. Pau and Odom walked for nothing, Bynum for a player who had one year left on his deal, who is a known *****.

The mistake that Cuban has made is that he's still been trying to put a legitimate contender around Dirk. Remember when the Lakers didn't give Chandler parsons $16M because of Kobes 'huge' contract? How selfish of Kobe, how stupid of the Lakers. Except that if you're Dallas you ultimately gave Chandler Parsons $30M of Dirks money for the opportunity to...drop in the lottery and achieve mediocrity. The Mavs are destined to float in upper team mediocrity unless they get lucky enough to land another Dirk caliber player outside the top five of a lottery. Cuban is too committed to be at least average for anything BUT that to happen, pending a surprising FA signing. DeAndre was close I guess, but that team is still a second round exit, right?

You gotta commit and accept when its over.
I agree we wouldve been farther along in our rebuild if we wouldve traded some players sooner but we still had Kobe at the time and he still was a top 6-8 player right before the injury so I dont fault the FO at all for going all in 1 last time when we traded for Nash & D12. Had to go all in, just that Kobe got hurt.

We later did try to trade Pau but we were only offered a 2nd. Glad MK told them to shove that 2nd up their backside trying to treat us like some crackhead.

For this being our 1st year post Kobe I believe we are way ahead on our rebuild. The worst is behind us, arrows pointing up for us.

Chronz
07-29-2016, 09:05 PM
Either you are being intentionally obtuse or you are dumb. I'm not saying the warriors are underdogs. I'm not saying anything about Durant's choice. I'm saying that it's never certain any team is going to win. And the warriors have some new weaknesses they didn't have last year.

And what Im saying is that its never been this much of a certainty and I can see why other fan bases would rather not try for awhile, as a fan of the Clips we really have no choice but to compete and hope other teams punt the season away and unload.

Im of the opinion that if you're one of the upper echelon teams regardless of how inferior you are then you compete but I liken this to the year the Bulls had Dennis Rodman fall into their lap. I knew that MJ would be better but on top of that his team added a player at a position of dire need. I knew it was over then, Im getting a similar feeling now but hey, we can always hope the basketball gods injure one of your MVP winners and hopefully get the other suspended or something.

basketfan4life
08-01-2016, 06:32 AM
And on top off all of this. These 4 stars on paper look like they fit incrediblly. We couldn't say this about lbj-wade-bosh and they still won 2 chips in 4 years.

Scoots
08-01-2016, 10:42 AM
And on top off all of this. These 4 stars on paper look like they fit incrediblly. We couldn't say this about lbj-wade-bosh and they still won 2 chips in 4 years.

1. "Stars" is a little premature.

2. The Heatles played D.

basketfan4life
08-01-2016, 04:02 PM
1. "Stars" is a little premature.

2. The Heatles played D.

Which one of those 4 players is not a star for you?

You think GSW made history without playing D? Or do you think they won't play D this year because they replaced barnes and bogut with durant and zaza?

Chronz
08-01-2016, 07:51 PM

You think GSW made history without playing D? Or do you think they won't play D this year because they replaced barnes and bogut with durant and zaza?

Not to mention losing the defensive dynamo that is Mo BUCKETS and Leandro Barbosa. Its not like David West can fill in for that guy.

Scoots
08-01-2016, 09:26 PM

Sorry ... the thread was about the Lakers and I didn't read your post all that well. My bad.

basketfan4life
08-02-2016, 02:08 AM
Sorry ... the thread was about the Lakers and I didn't read your post all that well. My bad.

Oh no problem. Actually it's not all about Lakers. Every fan can come in and talk about his team's future.