PDA

View Full Version : Amare "STAT" Stoudemire signs with Knicks, then retires.

kobe4thewinbang
07-26-2016, 04:15 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/07/amare-stoudemire-announces-retirement.html?fv-home=true&post-id=41935

I must say that I'm surprised he is done. I think he could help some teams. But he does have other interests (fashion, movies). He seemed bitter about Miami Heat giving him less playing time than they allegedly agreed upon. Also strange that he is more fond of his time (injury woes and all, buyout) with the Knicks than with the Suns.

He was sought after by the Mavericks and Spurs, with "Pounding the Rock" (a Spurs blog) explaining Amare's refusal to sign there when it was possible due to the bitter rivalry the Suns/Spurs had.

What do you guys think about Amare? He and Nash were something special, and that block on Duncan was nice. Shame he never got a ring, but lots of greats never do. Is he a future hall of famer?

NYKnickFanatic
07-26-2016, 04:25 PM
"Although my career has taken me to other places around the country, my heart has always remained in the Big Apple. Once a Knick, Always a Knick."

The one superstar who was not afraid to sign with New York.

Thanks STAT.

Crackadalic
07-26-2016, 04:28 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/07/amare-stoudemire-announces-retirement.html?fv-home=true&post-id=41935

I must say that I'm surprised he is done. I think he could help some teams. But he does have other interests (fashion, movies). He seemed bitter about Miami Heat giving him less playing time than they allegedly agreed upon. Also strange that he is more fond of his time (injury woes and all, buyout) with the Knicks than with the Suns.

He was sought after by the Mavericks and Spurs, with "Pounding the Rock" (a Spurs blog) explaining Amare's refusal to sign there when it was possible due to the bitter rivalry the Suns/Spurs had.

What do you guys think about Amare? He and Nash were something special, and that block on Duncan was nice. Shame he never got a ring, but lots of greats never do. Is he a future hall of famer?

If yao ming is in the hall of fame then amare is a hall of famer

D-Leethal
07-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Nothing but respect for Amare. Battled through some of the most brutal sports injuries you possibly can, time after time kept coming back for more. Great person, great teammate, wish him nothing but the best. THANK YOU STAT.

YAALREADYKNO
07-26-2016, 04:39 PM
The Knicks ****ed him up after making that desperate trade for Carmelo. I remember people saying he was a legit MVP candidate before melo got there

Big Zo
07-26-2016, 04:43 PM
His most famous moment with the Knicks is punching the fire extinguisher in the locker room of American Airlines Arena. He should've signed the contract with Phoenix.

D-Leethal
07-26-2016, 04:51 PM
His most famous moment with the Knicks is punching the fire extinguisher in the locker room of American Airlines Arena. He should've signed the contract with Phoenix.

Knicks fans appreciate what he meant to this city. Bum *** fairwhether FL fans obviously don't mean much to him so might as well stay outta the thread.

J_M_B
07-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Knicks fans appreciate what he meant to this city. Bum *** fairwhether FL fans obviously don't mean much to him so might as well stay outta the thread.

Same old stereotypes lol

This thread has nothing to do with Miami fans. Don't get so worked up over nothing.

Back on topic, he helped make NY basketball relevant again, so this isn't that surprising. I wonder what his relationship with Phoenix's FO is at the moment for him to make this kind of move.

Hawkeye15
07-26-2016, 05:10 PM
Stat always seemed like a good guy. Easily one of the deadliest PnR bigs I have ever seen.

Peace Amare!

HandsOnTheWheel
07-26-2016, 05:11 PM

lmao

bucketss
07-26-2016, 05:12 PM
dude was so trash in miami they had to start winslow at the 5

Big Zo
07-26-2016, 05:24 PM

Come to think of it, maybe he signed it with the Knicks so Derrick Rose wouldn't have the worst knees on that super team for just one day.

jimm120
07-26-2016, 06:28 PM
The Knicks ****ed him up after making that desperate trade for Carmelo. I remember people saying he was a legit MVP candidate before melo got there

This type of comment (and there are a lot that think like this) are the ones that show me that people don't know what they're talking about.

Year 1: Amare had ONE good year. His 1st year was superb. Props for signing with us even though NY scares a lot of players away. Got hurt in the playoffs, thus rendering him useless in year 1 playoffs. Billups hurt too. Bad defense.

Year 2: Amare's 2nd year was "ok", but not for someone that was earning 22 million year (and getting paid the most, more than Melo). 17ppg wasn't anything to be proud of for what his role was. Plus injuries throughout the year. Ended with being out of the playoffs for hitting a fire extinguisher. Bad defense.

Year 3: Amare misses most of the year. Knicks do phenomal. He comes back for a few games but pretty much sucks until he gets on track and gets us 11 points a game. Injured again and comes back in the 2nd round of playoffs, all rusty. Bad defense.

Year 4: 13ppg bench option that's still harping to be a #1 option. Still getting paid the most on this team. still. He did ok for his role (6th man) but his contract doesn't allow us to sign anyone. Bad defense.

Year 5: 1/2 a season only. Finally cut him. Kind of the same role are year 4, but a bit worse. Injured quite a bit during the season. Released in Feb. Bad defense.

Throughout all that, he's not allowing the Knicks to sign anyone because his 20+ million a year is on the books and the highest salary in the team.

I like Amare. He gave us a great 1st year. but to say, "the knicks effed him by acquiring Melo."...dude, where would we have been with Amare "leading us" when Injuries set in by playoffs of year 1 (still 4 more seasons to go of Amare "leading us" with no Melo here!). Amare was NOT going to be able to lead us. The RIGHT decision was getting Carmelo, cause Amare obviously didn't work out in years 2-5 of his deal.

But I digress, I am happy he came to the Knicks. He brought excitement back in 2010. His 1st half was MVP candidate worthy (26ppg). his 2nd half was damn good (23pg). Everything after that (playoffs year 1, year2, year 3, year 4, year 5) were horrible. If the Knicks could have signed him to a 3 year deal or a 4 year deal, it would have been ideal.

But not everything is on Amare. Knicks effed up too. Picking up Billups' option and then wasting the amnesty on Billups was stupid. That was our ONLY ticket to get out from under Amare's contract if he failed...and we used it. Sure, Tyson was great for us for 2 seasons, but they needed to find another way around that situation that included in saving the amnesty for Amare.

GiantsSwaGG
07-26-2016, 06:32 PM
Stat always seemed like a good guy. Easily one of the deadliest PnR bigs I have ever seen.

Peace Amare!

He was one of the WORST defensive players of ALL TIME and had the lowest IQ. Made Tyler Hansbrough look like Kareem, I hate him as a player but he's a good dude.

GiantsSwaGG
07-26-2016, 06:33 PM

:laugh2:

More-Than-Most
07-26-2016, 07:09 PM
When I think of Amare I think of Suns. Its a joke he is retiring a Knick. He had what 1 great year with the knicks? It would basically be like Iverson retiring a nugget IMO

Now its a smart business move.... If you have a chance to retire a knick or a sun you go to the knicks every time... Now he will forever have a job with their franchise

naps
07-27-2016, 04:38 AM

Oooo...where is that frustration coming from? A poster stated his opinion about an incident and you are taking a cheap shot at the whole fanbase? Hmm...I guess 43 years of puragatory is finally catching up.

JordansBulls
07-29-2016, 07:50 PM
What happened after the 2011 season when he was dominant?

sep11ie
07-29-2016, 07:59 PM

He tried to sign with the Suns, but they wouldn't do a sign and retire deal with him.

IndyRealist
07-29-2016, 08:34 PM
Throughout all that, he's not allowing the Knicks to sign anyone because his 20+ million a year is on the books and the highest salary in the team.

That's not on him in the slightest. The Knicks signed him to that deal. What was he supposed to do, give it back?

IndyRealist
07-29-2016, 08:35 PM
If yao ming is in the hall of fame then amare is a hall of famer

Yao got in as an international player, for his impact on the sport worldwide. Amare has no similar claim.

ewing
07-29-2016, 08:50 PM

Peace Amare!

I agree, he was a dedicated and disciplined mother ****er. he had no laterally ability in his later years b/c of the all injuries but he was definitely a good dude and great offensive talent.

Saddletramp
07-31-2016, 01:47 PM
Well, that didn't last long.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/07/amare-stoudemire-to-play-in-israel.html?fv-home=true&post-id=42239

He's going to play in Israel. So I guess it wasn't a Sign & Retire it was just to have your NBA career end in NY to help out with your image to his fellow Jews in Israel? "My last team was the Knicks....."

It was less of a retirement and more of a "well, I can't cut it in the NBA anymore".

HOLD_THIS_L
07-31-2016, 02:36 PM
Well, that didn't last long.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/07/amare-stoudemire-to-play-in-israel.html?fv-home=true&post-id=42239

He's going to play in Israel. So I guess it wasn't a Sign & Retire it was just to have your NBA career end in NY to help out with your image to his fellow Jews in Israel? "My last team was the Knicks....."

It was less of a retirement and more of a "well, I can't cut it in the NBA anymore".
He isn't the first.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk