PDA

View Full Version : Lue Signs New Deal, Makes More Coaching Than He Did Playing

Tony_Starks
07-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Over his 11 year career he made 21 milli. New deal is 5 years $35 million. Couldn't have happened to a better dude. Hard worker, humble guy and good teammate, and a real players coach. Really well respected across the league, way before he took the Cleveland gig.
-----------------------
After helping to deliver the Cleveland Cavaliers an NBA championship, head coach Ty Lue has agreed to a five-year, $35 million contract extension, league sources told The Vertical. The agreement was reached on Monday and a formal announcement is expected in the next 24 hours, league sources told The Vertical. via Yahoo! Sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--cavs-coach-tyronn-lue-agrees-to--35m-extension-002113913.html

Clint Olbrock
07-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Congrats, he deserves it.

Vee-Rex
07-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Definitely deserves it. Got our guys to buy in and was much better at scheme adjustments than Blatt was.

JasonJohnHorn
07-26-2016, 11:14 PM
Steve Kerr did the same on his first deal I believe.

So weird... the last to title were won by first year coaches.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-26-2016, 11:28 PM
He gets 7 mill per for the next 5 years to supervise? Ok.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-27-2016, 12:01 AM
He's not a very good coach though.

Tony_Starks
07-27-2016, 09:44 AM

If you really believe that you haven't been paying very close attention.

He's a excellent coach and leader, took over a locker room that was pretty dysfunctional and led them to a chip.

Heediot
07-27-2016, 09:54 AM

He may not be a very good x's and o's coach, but was Phil Jackson? He is good with people and personalities, and his calm demeanor rubs off on his players. He made some nice adjustments against GS, so that has to count for something.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-27-2016, 10:32 AM
If you really believe that you haven't been paying very close attention.

He's a excellent coach and leader, took over a locker room that was pretty dysfunctional and led them to a chip.

He may not be a very good x's and o's coach, but was Phil Jackson? He is good with people and personalities, and his calm demeanor rubs off on his players. He made some nice adjustments against GS, so that has to count for something.

Posts like these crack me up. Cavs should have absoultely lost that series if not for Lebron and Lue would instead be getting shot down big time for horrible game management and lack of offensive sets. Instead he gets credit as a great coach for having a "calm demeanor" and ultimately turning around the locker room? Lmao ok.

If you think Lue had anything to do with their winning a championship, you are horribly mistaken. Lebron singlehandedly willed his team to the chip.

Heediot
07-27-2016, 11:11 AM
If you think Lue had anything to do with their winning a championship, you are horribly mistaken. Lebron singlehandedly willed his team to the chip.

So you don't think people skills help in winning a championship? Lebron was a big factor, but Kyrie was also a cog and so was Lue, if you can't see that your focus is just too narrow.

Let's discredit Phil Jackson because MJ willed his teams, Auerbach because Russel willed his teams. What about all the coaches that inherited stacked teams and flopped big time in various sports?

Vee-Rex
07-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Posts like these crack me up. Cavs should have absoultely lost that series if not for Lebron and Lue would instead be getting shot down big time for horrible game management and lack of offensive sets. Instead he gets credit as a great coach for having a "calm demeanor" and ultimately turning around the locker room? Lmao ok.

Lol you think the Spurs would have those 5 titles if not for Duncan? Would the Bulls have won those 6 without MJ? Rockets those 2 without Olajuwon? Every championship team would have lost without their best player... doesn't mean the coach didn't play a part in winning.

:confused:

HandsOnTheWheel
07-27-2016, 12:06 PM
So you don't think people skills help in winning a championship? Lebron was a big factor, but Kyrie was also a cog and so was Lue, if you can't see that your focus is just too narrow.

Let's discredit Phil Jackson because MJ willed his teams, Auerbach because Russel willed his teams. What about all the coaches that inherited stacked teams and flopped big time in various sports?

My focus is they were down 3-1 and should have lost to a heavily favored Warriors squad. Your acting like he had something to do with the Cavs coming back. Guys an interim first year head coach. Come on now.

Are you comparing Lue to the ilk of coaches such as Phil Jackson, Auerbach, and all the elite coaches of all time after riding Lebrons jock for a first championship? It seems like you are.

..and people skills? Pretty sure you have to have people skills to be a coach in the NBA bud lol.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Lol you think the Spurs would have those 5 titles if not for Duncan? Would the Bulls have won those 6 without MJ? Rockets those 2 without Olajuwon? Every championship team would have lost without their best player... doesn't mean the coach didn't play a part in winning.

:confused:
Not sure what point you're trying to make here. You're talking about teams with established seasoned coaches who are legends. Lue is a first year interim head coach with very minimal experience. Lebron is arguably a top 3 player of all time.

Tony_Starks
07-27-2016, 12:15 PM
My focus is they were down 3-1 and should have lost to a heavily favored Warriors squad. Your acting like he had something to do with the Cavs coming back. Guys an interim first year head coach. Come on now.

Are you comparing Lue to the ilk of coaches such as Phil Jackson, Auerbach, and all the elite coaches of all time after riding Lebrons jock for a first championship? It seems like you are.

..and people skills? Pretty sure you have to have people skills to be a coach in the NBA bud lol.

Did you actually watch the Finals? Because if you did I don't understand how you can ignore all the adjustments made in that comeback. The match ups, the substitutions. Defensive strategies.

How about the last play they drew up for Kyrie to get the switch and put Steph on a island for the game winner? Did Lebron draw that up too? Because according to your logic he should've just gave Lebron the ball and watched the show, not isolated Kyrie.

Tony_Starks
07-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Not sure what point you're trying to make here. You're talking about teams with established seasoned coaches who are legends. Lue is a first year interim head coach with very minimal experience. Lebron is arguably a top 3 player of all time.

Pat Riley was a commentator when he took over the Lakers gig. Every situation isn't so black and white, inexperienced coaches can still be great.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-27-2016, 12:25 PM
Did you actually watch the Finals? Because if you did I don't understand how you can ignore all the adjustments made in that comeback. The match ups, the substitutions. Defensive strategies.

How about the last play they drew up for Kyrie to get the switch and put Steph on a island for the game winner? Did Lebron draw that up too? Because according to your logic he should've just gave Lebron the ball and watched the show, not isolated Kyrie.
Ah.. of course he drew up that play for Kyrie. Lol.

I watched a team that could have been easily swept by one of the best teams ever because of how bad his coaching was.

I'm not trying to bash Lue here, but he's not as good as people are saying in here.

Vee-Rex
07-27-2016, 12:25 PM

My point is that these teams did more than just hand the ball off to LeBron/MJ/Duncan. Of course w/o LeBron we would've lost. We probably would've been swept. But if it wasn't for Lue's schemes, we would've lost too.

I'm really deciding that you hadn't watched the finals. After game 2, the Cavs dominated the Warriors schematically. If it wasn't for a TON of stuff going the Warriors way in the 2nd half of game 4, they probably would've lost 4 straight.

From the aggressiveness against Curry's defense through a multitude of forced switches, to making Harrison Barnes and the non-Splash Warriors players beat us from deep, to the timely trapping of Curry off the Pick-N-Roll to force turnovers, we schematically dominated the Warriors, and Lue gets a ton of credit for that.

Last year Blatt had absolutely no answer for the Mozgov conundrum where the Dubs went small ball and killed us. Lue matched the small ball with great substitutions and utilization of our players (who would've thought RJ should get heavy minutes while Channing Frye, who was dominant behind the arc throughout the playoffs would barely sniff minutes in the finals).

To sit there and say Lue had absolutely no impact is not only downright ignorant but probably borderline idiotic.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Pat Riley was a commentator when he took over the Lakers gig. Every situation isn't so black and white, inexperienced coaches can still be great.

Not saying he can't turn in a HOF coaching career, but it's early.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-27-2016, 12:32 PM
My point is that these teams did more than just hand the ball off to LeBron/MJ/Duncan. Of course w/o LeBron we would've lost. We probably would've been swept. But if it wasn't for Lue's schemes, we would've lost too.

I'm really deciding that you hadn't watched the finals. After game 2, the Cavs dominated the Warriors schematically. If it wasn't for a TON of stuff going the Warriors way in the 2nd half of game 4, they probably would've lost 4 straight.

From the aggressiveness against Curry's defense through a multitude of forced switches, to making Harrison Barnes and the non-Splash Warriors players beat us from deep, to the timely trapping of Curry off the Pick-N-Roll to force turnovers, we schematically dominated the Warriors, and Lue gets a ton of credit for that.

Last year Blatt had absolutely no answer for the Mozgov conundrum where the Dubs went small ball and killed us. Lue matched the small ball with great substitutions and utilization of our players (who would've thought RJ should get heavy minutes while Channing Frye, who was dominant behind the arc throughout the playoffs would barely sniff minutes in the finals).

To sit there and say Lue had absolutely no impact is not only downright ignorant but probably borderline idiotic.

Any average coach can draw up schemes when you have Lebron. Just see Spo.

Warriors choked and Lebron, buddy.

Ok, Blatt was a crap coach who had to learn the hard way that Israeli basketball doesn't relate to the NBA whatsoever. What's your point?

No need to get worked up now lol.

Tony_Starks
07-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Ah.. of course he drew up that play for Kyrie. Lol.

I watched a team that could have been easily swept by one of the best teams ever because of how bad his coaching was.

I'm not trying to bash Lue here, but he's not as good as people are saying in here.

You may be better served doing your homework on Lue prior to getting the Cleveland gig. Specifically check out what Doc and the Celtic players had to say about him during his tenure at Boston as a assistant.

He's not the typical "interim" coach, far from a babysitter.

Your assertion that basically Lebron is so great he requires minimal coaching is false btw, Bron isn't exactly the most mentally tough dude in the world...to put it mildly.

Vee-Rex
07-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Any average coach can draw up schemes when you have Lebron. Just see Spo.

Warriors choked and Lebron, buddy.

Ok, Blatt was a crap coach who had to learn the hard way that Israeli basketball doesn't relate to the NBA whatsoever. What's your point?

No need to get worked up now lol.

I'm not getting worked up, I'm shocked at how little sense you're making. You're usually a rational poster on here.

Can average coach can effectively hold the Warriors to:

1. Lowest FG% in the entire playoffs at 43.1%

2. Lowest 3pt% in the entire playoffs at 37.3%

3. Lowest PPP in the entire playoffs as well as total points per game at 99.9 - to give a little insight, the Warriors averaged 106ppg against the Thunder, 110 against the Rockets, and 118 against the Blazers, yet the Cavs defensive philosophy kept them at below 100ppg.

4. Made Steph Curry have more turnovers than assists in the finals, possibly containing him better than any other team ever could.

So is LeBron responsible for all of that and does Lue get absolutely no credit for all of this?

I'm not claiming Lue is great or wonderful or anything, but to give him absolutely no credit is bonkers.

Heediot
07-27-2016, 02:50 PM
I'm not going to bother with a condescending troll. I am sure your a very intelligent guy, use it more usefully instead of undercover trolling.

Clint Olbrock
07-27-2016, 05:51 PM

Sounds like sour grapes to me, bud.

JasonJohnHorn
07-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Bottom line, Draymond suspension and Bogut injury aside, he coached a team that could even win 60 games in the East to a finals victory over the team with the best record in league history.

His coaching approach took Curry and Klay out of the series early, and his adjustments (with the help of the loss of Dray for a game) helped the team exploit GSW's weaknesses.

That said.. I'm not sure he's a 7-million-a-year coach, but he's certainly proven his value.

FlashBolt
07-29-2016, 12:12 AM
He's a $7 million a year coach because of LeBron James. Let's just say it for what it is: LeBron gets you PAID if you want it. Lue absolutely deserves it. Players love him and he loves coaching for them. People will say LeBron kneeling on the floor after Game 7 was the best part but watching Lue cry on the bench was just as emotional. There's more to coaching than X/O's. Blatt probably had the better X/O's than Lue but he drew zero connection with any player not named Mosgov/Sausha.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-29-2016, 12:35 AM
I'm not getting worked up, I'm shocked at how little sense you're making. You're usually a rational poster on here.

Can average coach can effectively hold the Warriors to:

1. Lowest FG% in the entire playoffs at 43.1%

2. Lowest 3pt% in the entire playoffs at 37.3%

3. Lowest PPP in the entire playoffs as well as total points per game at 99.9 - to give a little insight, the Warriors averaged 106ppg against the Thunder, 110 against the Rockets, and 118 against the Blazers, yet the Cavs defensive philosophy kept them at below 100ppg.

4. Made Steph Curry have more turnovers than assists in the finals, possibly containing him better than any other team ever could.

So is LeBron responsible for all of that and does Lue get absolutely no credit for all of this?

I'm not claiming Lue is great or wonderful or anything, but to give him absolutely no credit is bonkers.

Agreed. I might have been rather brash arguing the wrong point.

If my team won the chip, I wouldn't mind at all as a fan an extension for my team's head coach. We'll see tho.