PDA

View Full Version : McCollum and Portland agreed to $106M.

minato_17
07-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Portland guard CJ McCollum has reached agreement on a four-year, $106M maximum contract extension, league sources tell @TheVertical.

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/757621513877069824

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

archdevil84
07-25-2016, 01:21 PM
lol

warfelg
07-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Enjoy a decade of 4-7 seeds and a rare 2nd round visit.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2016, 01:40 PM
I mean, Beal got that money. What was Portland supposed to do, the market has been set.

celticsman2009
07-25-2016, 01:47 PM
Good for him. I like him a lot.

warfelg
07-25-2016, 01:51 PM
I mean, Beal got that money. What was Portland supposed to do, the market has been set.

They paid out a ton of money to 5 guys though in Lillard, CJ, Turner, Crabbe, Aminu and don't have a paint scoring threat to lessen the burden when the three isn't working.

xxplayerxx23
07-25-2016, 02:08 PM
They paid out a ton of money to 5 guys though in Lillard, CJ, Turner, Crabbe, Aminu and don't have a paint scoring threat to lessen the burden when the three isn't working.

Those guys are easily moveable.they could flip one for a Big if needed. Not a huge fan of Turner tbh, but if Crabbe hits his potential someone can move for a C

Knick_Fever
07-25-2016, 02:14 PM
CJ is better than Beal IMO. Almost 42% from 3, just a far deadlier shooter than Beal. Has better handles, is quicker, and has can distribute (4.3 apg). We've seen what he did in the playoffs vs Warriors. He seems to have a better understanding of the game that Beal.

kobe4thewinbang
07-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Dunno how I feel about this. Is he a FA next year, hence Portland doing this? He took a lot bad shots, ball-hoggy shots, in that OT game versus Golden State in which Lillard barely touched the ball. He and Lillard either have 20+pt games together, one does, or they both go 5-15, saw that in the playoffs. Portland I think could be a bigger threat coming up, and he was MIP this last season, so I hope he and Lillard become more consistent and especially learn to play better together, cuz it has a Westbrook/Durant vibe.

nycericanguy
07-25-2016, 02:20 PM
for some reason i thought it was 22m per year, but this is almost 27m per year... ouch.

Knick_Fever
07-25-2016, 02:27 PM
for some reason i thought it was 22m per year, but this is almost 27m per year... ouch.

Worth every penny. Forms one of the best backcourts in the game w/Dillard. A young guy who can light it up w/the best of 'em. High character and IQ to go with athleticism. Great extension, Portland did the right thing.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2016, 03:12 PM

oh you mean Portland as a whole? Yes, they have screwed themselves. Bit this signing isn't one of the ones doing them in

warfelg
07-25-2016, 03:16 PM
oh you mean Portland as a whole? Yes, they have screwed themselves. Bit this signing isn't one of the ones doing them in

Yea the team as a whole.

mia1619
07-25-2016, 03:39 PM
Thats a very good deal if he stays healthy. Top 5-10 shooter in the league, top 5 SG, very young. With the other guys who have gotten money this offseason, he deserves it.

Dade County
07-25-2016, 03:44 PM
Good for him. I like him a lot.

Agreed.

He's a very good player & worth the contrat in todays game.

Tony_Starks
07-25-2016, 03:45 PM
Worth every cent!

Portland now has the hood version of the Splash brothers!

McAllen Tx
07-25-2016, 10:36 PM
After Portland signed Turner and matched Crabbe I thought McCollum for one of Phillys bigs would've been a good deal.

naps
07-26-2016, 05:22 AM
Better than many other contracts. Fair deal in this market.

SiteWolf
07-26-2016, 07:28 PM
this would look better if he played D

but I laugh at people saying 'who'll score in the paint'?
Who scored for GS in the paint?

TrueFan420
07-26-2016, 07:33 PM
this would look better if he played D

but I laugh at people saying 'who'll score in the paint'?
Who scored for GS in the paint?
Yea Shaun Livingston is our best post player...

mavwar53
07-26-2016, 08:07 PM
I like McCollum but I'm curious why people are saying he's worth every cent, he's not a superstar. I think it's a good signing but he should be making 5M per year less, or basically if this was last year he should be making 16 or 17M per year not 27/yr extension.

But what choice did they really have, we saw what Tyler Johnson and Crabbe were offered so this is just taking the matching of an offer sheet next year and a contract/injury worry off his mind.

Hopefully that makes sense, he's not worth it but I like it because they didn't have a choice and Portland is unlikely to attract other top end free agents. Portland just needs to hope he continues to improve and then he might be worth that much.

BKLYNpigeon
07-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Portland just locked up the whole team for the next 4 years and put all their eggs in the basket.

shep33
07-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Beast. My opinion, tied for the 2nd best backcourt in the NBA (with Lowry and Demarr) and they're so young. CJ is 24 and Lillard just turned 26 a week ago.

Dudes are beasts. Saw them at summer league too, they seem like really good friends.

Crabbe, Turner, Leonard, and Harkless' deals on the other hand are head scratchers. Maybe not Crabbe depending on how good he gets, but still a stretch. Loved the Ezeli deal.

Wish they had cap room and chased DeAndre or a legit center.

breakbad
07-26-2016, 09:32 PM
One of my favorite players to watch. I woulda said he fits a lot better playing as many of his minutes that he possibly could when Lillard was off the court. With a shut-down D guy starting next to Lillard, and CJ off the bench as the perennial 6th Man Of The Year. Harden to Westbrook in OKC, with Sefolosha starting. He's awesome when he dominates the ball and is in control.

This pairing isn't comparable to the Warriors back-court cause all of Klay's biggest strengths are off the ball and fit SO perfectly on that team. He also plays that shut down D guy role, as well. It's crazy how insanely valuable Klay is to THAT team, whereas if he got traded and was asked to be the Kobe or Jordan and dominate the ball and still be as valuable as he is in his current roll, I don't think his stock would be nearly as high as it is now.

Sucks it took Mathews leaving for CJ to get his chance, 'cause them three guards working a Pau-Bynum-Odom type three guy rotation woulda been nasty. But I guess Evan Turner was brought in to be that ball dominant 6th man, so ah well. Lol

valade16
07-27-2016, 10:21 AM
The Blazers have a compliment of bigs actually.

Plumlee, Ezeli, Meyers Leonard and Ed Davis. They also have Harkless and Aminu who can play the 4 for small ball.

The problem isn't depth, it's top end talent. But how do the Blazers acquire top end talent? It's not going to be through FA, so everyone saying they should have saved their money to make a run at DeAndre, or Westbrook, or whoever, it's not gonna happen.

The team had one option, lock up its young core and hope it continues to improve enough to be a contender and then trade some assets for more top end talent.