PDA

View Full Version : Grade your team's offseason

HandsOnTheWheel
07-24-2016, 02:18 AM
Grade your team's offseason. Name your team and give grade with a summary. Try to be objective as possible.

Miami Heat
B-

I would have liked to see Wade be a lifer, but it was time to move on for both sides. Joe Johnson was never part of the future, though Luol will be a tough loss. They managed to retain Whiteside and Tyler Johnson and essentially opened up starting spots to aide the development of Winslow and Richardson. They now have great depth and signed a few shooters/will be a huge sleeper if Bosh comes 'round.

eso
07-24-2016, 06:16 AM
Lakers I give an A.
Ingram was a no brainer but Zubak is looking like he could be the steal of the draft. Also think that the free agent signings were brilliant not in impact on the game but suits our direction perfectly not impacting on the development of our young core but helping them grow.

More-Than-Most
07-24-2016, 06:24 AM
Simmons looks like a mini lebron....I wanted Ingram but Man does simmons look incredible... We drafted 2 guys in the 22-27 range that were projected to go 10-15 and one that might have been a lotery pick in Luwaw or however ya spell his name.

On top of that we didnt give waiters damn near a max.... We didnt stupidly sign anyone for a ridiculous amount and filled multiple holes for very little. We got Saric to come over and we did not trade OKA or Noel for a bag of peanuts... Aplus would be an understatement :shrug:

More-Than-Most
07-24-2016, 06:25 AM
Lakers I give an A.
Ingram was a no brainer but Zubak is looking like he could be the steal of the draft. Also think that the free agent signings were brilliant not in impact on the game but suits our direction perfectly not impacting on the development of our young core but helping them grow.

Lakers did very well as well... BUT MOSGOV.... To me that was a top 3 worst free agent signing of the off season

Raidaz4Life
07-24-2016, 06:54 AM
Simmons looks like a mini lebron....I wanted Ingram but Man does simmons look incredible... We drafted 2 guys in the 22-27 range that were projected to go 10-15 and one that might have been a lotery pick in Luwaw or however ya spell his name.

On top of that we didnt give waiters damn near a max.... We didnt stupidly sign anyone for a ridiculous amount and filled multiple holes for very little. We got Saric to come over and we did not trade OKA or Noel for a bag of peanuts... Aplus would be an understatement :shrug:

i agree 6ers get an A+

They made all the right moves. Unlike past off seasons it looks like there is finally a shred of competence in the FO

eso
07-24-2016, 07:06 AM
Lakers did very well as well... BUT MOSGOV.... To me that was a top 3 worst free agent signing of the off season

The only issue I have with the Mosgov deal is the 4 years but I like him beating up on Zubak in practise for a few years getting him ready to take over when we will be competitive, we will be keeping our pick again next year so to bad Philly haha

More-Than-Most
07-24-2016, 07:27 AM
The only issue I have with the Mosgov deal is the 4 years but I like him beating up on Zubak in practise for a few years getting him ready to take over when we will be competitive, we will be keeping our pick again next year so to bad Philly haha

That is honestly why this deal is even worse because I think Zubs will be already better than Mosgov by the end of this season lol.... He will no doubt be a steal and the mosgov deal will look so much worse when he is getting about 10 minutes a night max because Zubs is gonna come in and do everything he does and then some.

Its weird but this would be the best thing for lakers and their fans... If you guys are complaining about mosgov this time next year because of Zubs then its still a win in my opinion because that means Zubs is already better,.

PhillyFaninLA
07-24-2016, 07:33 AM

B+ right now....I want to see what deal we make for one of our bigs before raising or lowering it, the right deal I move it to an A, the wrong I move it to a B, and I want no part of trading Noel, I think he fits nicely and can be an amazing defensive game changer with enough offense to be viable as the backup to Simmons and Embiid (I still think Saric plays a hybrid SF/PF while Simmons plays a hybrid PG,PF)

You don't add a Simmons, Saric, and Embiid often....but lets not forget that Bayless and Henderson are really nice veterans for a team like us, and under the radar moves like Webb III, and Rodriguez are all nice moves and appropriate for where we are at this time.

We still might take a run at a guy like Gary Neal and cut Statuskas, Neal could be a really nice 3 point shooter off the bench if he can stay healthy, a low risk, high reward situation.

warfelg
07-24-2016, 07:36 AM
i agree 6ers get an A+

They made all the right moves. Unlike past off seasons it looks like there is finally a shred of competence in the FO

Only place I disagree is the last statement. This is just a continuation of what Hinkie set out.

I would give my Sixers an A just out of the fact that Colangelo didn't deviate from the plan and the process. The fact that he didn't do this in the last few means that we didn't see Noel or Okafor as those future superstar players. Now we got one and they started to put some parts around him without jumping the gun.

IndyRealist
07-24-2016, 08:24 AM
We traded the #20 draft pick for a guy who put up ok numbers on bad teams his entire career. Our biggest free agent acquisition is a 30 something throwback center we're going to try to fit into a run n' gun offense. We lost 3 of our top 4 defenders. And we didn't improve our most glaring weakness, outside shooting.

If everything falls into place the Pacers are a .500 team, which is -4 wins from last year. Grade: D+

Note: I'm not including Georges Niang, our #50 pick, because a) he's behind a bunch of vets and there's a lot of pressure to get wins post-Vogel, and b) he might not be athletic enough to stay in the league. He was the only move that really made any sense for the team's direction.

PhillyFaninLA
07-24-2016, 08:26 AM
Only place I disagree is the last statement. This is just a continuation of what Hinkie set out.

I would give my Sixers an A just out of the fact that Colangelo didn't deviate from the plan and the process. The fact that he didn't do this in the last few means that we didn't see Noel or Okafor as those future superstar players. Now we got one and they started to put some parts around him without jumping the gun.

I understand what you are saying, but I am not giving Hinkie an ounce of credit for any moves made after he left....yes he set them up, but he literally didn't do any of them. He may or may not have, that isn't the point....I'm not giving credit for moves made by someone else.

We don't know what he would or would not have done, and it is irrelevant, the new FO made the moves not Hinkie...continuation or not HInkie did not make any of these moves because he isn't a part of the team anymore.

Why not give Ken Giles credit for every strike out Velasquez has because without Giles then we don't have Velasquez.

mike_noodles
07-24-2016, 09:18 AM
Toronto Raptors - F+

They over spent to keep their "star". They lost possibly the best backup C in the league. They struck out in trades. They were able to sign one minor free agent, at a very nice price, this is what boosts them from an F to an F+. The draft was alright, but none of the big eight fell to them. The Siakam pick was weird considering the players still on the board. They are arguably worse, for a team that is supposed to be improving and taking steps to become a true contender, this has been a disappointing off season to say the least.

warfelg
07-24-2016, 09:22 AM
I understand what you are saying, but I am not giving Hinkie an ounce of credit for any moves made after he left....yes he set them up, but he literally didn't do any of them. He may or may not have, that isn't the point....I'm not giving credit for moves made by someone else.

We don't know what he would or would not have done, and it is irrelevant, the new FO made the moves not Hinkie...continuation or not HInkie did not make any of these moves because he isn't a part of the team anymore.

Why not give Ken Giles credit for every strike out Velasquez has because without Giles then we don't have Velasquez.

You misread my point. My point was I'm giving Colangelo credit for not messing it up and doing a continuation of the blueprint Hinkie laid out.

JordansBulls
07-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Bulls B+

We got rid of Rose, Gasol and Noah and got Rondo, Wade and Lopez

JordansBulls
07-24-2016, 09:37 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16483489/player-movement-2016-17-season

Raidaz4Life
07-24-2016, 09:49 AM
You misread my point. My point was I'm giving Colangelo credit for not messing it up and doing a continuation of the blueprint Hinkie laid out.

6ers fans give Hinkie way too much credit. The only thing I hate about the 6ers right now is they dont have a trace of a well fitted team. It is going to take A LOT of moving pieces to get them with a roster that will gel. That was all a direct result of Hinkie's lack of clear direction for the team

warfelg
07-24-2016, 10:07 AM
6ers fans give Hinkie way too much credit. The only thing I hate about the 6ers right now is they dont have a trace of a well fitted team. It is going to take A LOT of moving pieces to get them with a roster that will gel. That was all a direct result of Hinkie's lack of clear direction for the team

What's not well fit about 3 shooters, a point forward, and defensive center as a starting unit? A ball handling PG who can shoot, a ball handling PF who can shoot, more shooters, offensive center on the bench? Then Embiid who can do both.

I would say this is actually a team that's decently put together in terms of what guys can do and their roles. Now I agree that the skills of many of them aren't great but this fit is better than its been in a while.

Also give Hinkie too much credit? There's a site that tracks assets during a GMs tenure. Hinkie took 3 listed assets (Jrue Holliday, Thad Young, Evan Turner) and turned it into a much longer list.

PhillyFaninLA
07-24-2016, 11:17 AM

Thanks and my bad, I did misread

nycericanguy
07-24-2016, 11:19 AM
We traded the #20 draft pick for a guy who put up ok numbers on bad teams his entire career. Our biggest free agent acquisition is a 30 something throwback center we're going to try to fit into a run n' gun offense. We lost 3 of our top 4 defenders. And we didn't improve our most glaring weakness, outside shooting.

If everything falls into place the Pacers are a .500 team, which is -4 wins from last year. Grade: D+

Note: I'm not including Georges Niang, our #50 pick, because a) he's behind a bunch of vets and there's a lot of pressure to get wins post-Vogel, and b) he might not be athletic enough to stay in the league. He was the only move that really made any sense for the team's direction.

didn't follow all their moves but I think Teague is a nice player to put alongside PG13.

Teague never got to shoot more than 12 shots or so in ATL's "spread the wealth" Spurs type offense... but I think he could average close to 20 a game now playing in IND.

Al Jeff is an odd fit, as is Monta with Teague... and you lost Mahimi & Hill, so I can see why you'd be down... but who did IND trade the #20 pick for again?

nycericanguy
07-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Knicks B-

Noah was a bit of an overpay, but overall Phil managed to sign Noah, Lee & Jennings for a combined $35m per year, which is pretty good value overall. Lance was also resigned to a very reasonable $7m per year deal. And we got some good, young, energetic & cheap role players to fill out the roster.

Lopez needed to go, he made NY too slow, and definitely wasn't going to fit in Hornacek's faster offense. We got rid of JC in the deal too, and we got a 2nd rounder in next years stacked draft, along with Holiday who we supposedly really like and have high hopes for. Losing Grant in the deal was what hurt, but overall Rose is a HUGE upgrade and getting Rose led to getting Noah & Lee.

Phil put together a risky roster, but the reward could be a top 3 team in the east, without giving up much in terms of our future.

Clint Olbrock
07-24-2016, 12:44 PM

Man, I would have to disagree with your grade. I like a lot of the moves that the Pacers made, I'm a fan of the moves.

S.Hill and Mahinmi in my personal opinion both got overpaid and both aren't very good in the grand scheme of things. Not to mention I don't feel either are a great fit.

Money wise you swapped Teague for G.Hill almost dollar for dollar, Teague I think is a much more pure point guard anyway.

Losing J.Hill kind of sucks, since he got a cheap deal but you can't win em all.

I think getting Thad for the #20 pick was a good exchange, he fits in nicely. He can be what PG13 didn't want to do. Allowing him to slide back down to SF full time.

You got Brooks on a good cheap deal and he can do what Lawson can do and more without all the distractions.

You got Jeremy Evans for literally next to nothing, he is a good athletic big who can jump outta the gym, which if he can get in the rotation is a nice fit.

I agree big Al isn't a great fit but I think his contract is a down right steal, plus if Turner beats him out in camp for the starting 5 spot the fit won't matter as much off the bench where he could be looked at as a go to scorer.

They've been trying to move Ellis or at least taking calls. You can't knock em for it,on the outside he may not look like the best fit but if he can accept a reduced role or maybe cut his minutes down it could work out.

I give the Pacers a solid B. I think they will be good next season.

nycericanguy
07-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Oh IND got Thad for #20? I like that then.

Thad & PG13 is a versatile frontline, either can play SF or PF and switch on D.

They will miss G Hill's shooting, they could really use a 3&D SG like Courtney Lee or Bazemore type...

but

Turner
Thad
PG13
Ellis
Teague

isn't bad, just lacks shooting.

TrueFan420
07-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Warriors: A+

Obviously upgrading Barnes to Durant is unbelievable. Very excited to see Curry and Durant in a pick and role together. Bogut is the only real loss this off-season. His leadership and presence in the paint will be missed. Everyone else is easily replaceable.

nycericanguy
07-24-2016, 01:13 PM

Obviously upgrading Barnes to Durant is unbelievable. Very excited to see Curry and Durant in a pick and role together. Bogut is the only real loss this off-season. His leadership and presence in the paint will be missed. Everyone else is easily replaceable.

oh STFU...lol...no one needs to grade GSW... they got a top 3 player to add to a 73 win team!

b_russ
07-24-2016, 01:39 PM
No one is going to top the Warriors A+ offseason, so based on that, I'd grade the Jazz B+/A-.

The George Hill trade for the 12th pick is the best acquisition. I can understand the argument that Teague is a better PG than Hill, but Hill checks every box with the belief that Exum is our future PG. He's a vet, he can provide a soft landing for Exum and transition to the bench eventually, he fit's Utah's culture, he's long and plays tough D, he can hit the 3, and he can play off the ball. Granted, there are many better PG's than Hill, but none that fit the bill like he does.

35 Y/O Joe Johnson on a 2 year $22 mil contract seems like a bargain and again fits a bunch of needs. He can provide some instant offense and lessen the load in crunch time where Utah's youth has struggled in the past. Knowing that he's definately in the declining phase of his career he can slide in to a supporting role off the bench nicely to add some much needed depth.

Then add another 35 Y/O in Diaw who will add some versatility to the Jazz's big man rotation. Playing with fellow Frenchman, Gobert, will hopefully keep his interest throughout the season so he doesn't revert back to Bobcat Boris.

The draft picks are very meh, but drafting that late in the second round hardly ever brings anything worth bragging about.

So no superstars, but every acquisition affords all of Utah's already featured pieces the potential to excel in their established roles and fill in the gaps that were missing last season.

Here's to a healthy 2016 across the board. :cheers:

mngopher35
07-24-2016, 01:51 PM
I will say a B+ or so for the wolves if you include thibs. Dunn was a coveted player at the top and I like what I have seen (though limited not big college bball fan). We added Aldrich, Rush, Jordan hill to our bench collection as well for like 14 mil maybe. Considering the market and contracts handed out I am glad we got solid short term vets for cheap instead of overpaying.

Basically we really upgraded our bench on the cheap while saving cap/flexibility for next year when we hopefully are an attractive landing spot. Our starting unit to end last year should return and played great to end last season with the biggest weakness being thibs greatest strength and all of them young enough to keep improving (a couple possibly big steps).

So it wasn't very flashy but thibs to me is the perfect fit, I like the Dunn pick, and we have ourselves actual depth without over spending leaving options for next year.

Scoots
07-24-2016, 02:01 PM
I can't give the Sixers an A+ because they have so many other moves to make ... but an A I don't think can be questioned.

The Heat could have dealt better with Wade and Bosh, and had to overpay for Whiteside/Johnson. But I do like their future. C+

I don't like some of the moves the Warriors made, but I don't think they could have done better overall so I guess that's an A+.

Lakers I can't give an A to because for the second straight off-season they handed out larger than needed longer than needed contracts to questionable talents who don't seem to fit the future.

mngopher35, you are way underselling the Wolves' offseason. They got the best coach on the market to replace a dead coach. They got the exact player in the draft they needed. They didn't make any stupid trades. They got great vet bench players cheap. They didn't fall for any bad trades. Honestly what could they have done better? A+

smith&wesson
07-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Toronto Raptors - F+

They over spent to keep their "star". They lost possibly the best backup C in the league. They struck out in trades. They were able to sign one minor free agent, at a very nice price, this is what boosts them from an F to an F+. The draft was alright, but none of the big eight fell to them. The Siakam pick was weird considering the players still on the board. They are arguably worse, for a team that is supposed to be improving and taking steps to become a true contender, this has been a disappointing off season to say the least.

+1

Clint Olbrock
07-24-2016, 02:24 PM

That is only 1 position though man, only 1 aspect of things.

I think on paper or in a video game it's easy to say "we landed Durant, A+". In reality, I don't think it's that black and white.

Durant for Barnes strictly on talent is an upgrade. I think Zaza for Bogut is a clear down grade though I guess he can do similar things. Jones for Ezeli is a tough one because Jones is a rookie, so it's obviously going to be an adjustment period. West for Speights might be a wash but it's more defense instead of offense, West doesn't seem like a good fit, unless he is going to play a lot of center minutes. McCaw for Rush seems like a downgrade for the simple fact he is a rookie and much like Jones is going to have an adjustment period. There was no swap out for Barbosa, you still have one roster spot left so it could come but he was big in the finals, very efficient.

You also have to think, losing those 6 guys is thrusting Clark, JMM, Looney(who is basically a rookie), Jones and McCaw into roles none of them are comfortable with. Unless you're just going to play the top 8 guys big minutes all season and into the playoffs. Also counting on no injuries or those guys roles would have to be expanded.

That is purely from the personnel side of things, when you now look at how the whole dynamic of the offense and defense has now changed with the addition of Durant. The fit isn't ideal at all.

Durant is a shoot for wing who plays little to no defense. He also has no weight/mass or any post moves so he allows himself to be guarded by little guys like Chris Paul, which hurts your offense. Hiding Steph was hard enough but trying to hide Steph and KD is going to be a difficult task, especially without a solid rim protector on the back line.

But I also seen where you mentioned the KD and Steph PnR, which sure may be nice but the Warriors bread and butter for 2 years was off of the Steph and Green PnR, now KD is going to be taking the ball outta Green's hands who is the best passer/facilitator on the Warriors. He also will either have to stand in the corner and watch or take jump shots away from Klay and Steph, where KD went super cold from deep in the playoffs.

The chemistry side of things is gone. Everything built was thrown out the window because you traded 6 guys for 1. The 2 long runs to the finals in back to back seasons is pretty much pointless now. The Warriors didn't need an ISO heavy ball dominater who has never played within an offensive system his entire NBA career.

There is going to have to be a lot of sacrifice and communication for this to work or there will be a lot of behind the scenes "noise" and hurt feelings. Heck, it may spill over into the media and hurt some of their EGO's.

Last but not least, adding Mr. Potato Head as the associate head coach is a head scratcher for sure. By both of his stints in CLE, I think I would have a little bit of an idea about it. Unless Kerr just let's him sit on the sideline and spit into a cup, he is gonna put some bad juju on your team. The guy is clueless, if he starts talking and having a hand in things, look out.

I'm not sure what grade I would give them because the back half of their roster is straight garbage. They're very top heavy but I don't think it's as simple as you have it made out to be.

mngopher35
07-24-2016, 02:40 PM
mngopher35, you are way underselling the Wolves' offseason. They got the best coach on the market to replace a dead coach. They got the exact player in the draft they needed. They didn't make any stupid trades. They got great vet bench players cheap. They didn't fall for any bad trades. Honestly what could they have done better? A+

Maybe, I did have it at A- then held back. I guess it is just that we didn't really do anything to majorly upgrade the team next year on top of somewhat easy to make moves. We didn't get that starting PF for example. I think we were one of the most coveted landing spots for top coaches (especially offering president role too) and got the best fit. We had the 5th pick and took the most coveted guy. We didn't get major players but filled out the roster with good cheap depth.

We definitely played things smart but I wasn't really sure how to grade making good yet somewhat expected key moves and only adding depth. I do really like the end result still so I won't argue with someone saying to make it a higher grade I just don't think we did anything spectacular so I kept it a bit modest.

IndyRealist
07-24-2016, 02:42 PM
Man, I would have to disagree with your grade. I like a lot of the moves that the Pacers made, I'm a fan of the moves.

S.Hill and Mahinmi in my personal opinion both got overpaid and both aren't very good in the grand scheme of things. Not to mention I don't feel either are a great fit.

Money wise you swapped Teague for G.Hill almost dollar for dollar, Teague I think is a much more pure point guard anyway.

Losing J.Hill kind of sucks, since he got a cheap deal but you can't win em all.

I think getting Thad for the #20 pick was a good exchange, he fits in nicely. He can be what PG13 didn't want to do. Allowing him to slide back down to SF full time.

You got Brooks on a good cheap deal and he can do what Lawson can do and more without all the distractions.

You got Jeremy Evans for literally next to nothing, he is a good athletic big who can jump outta the gym, which if he can get in the rotation is a nice fit.

I agree big Al isn't a great fit but I think his contract is a down right steal, plus if Turner beats him out in camp for the starting 5 spot the fit won't matter as much off the bench where he could be looked at as a go to scorer.

They've been trying to move Ellis or at least taking calls. You can't knock em for it,on the outside he may not look like the best fit but if he can accept a reduced role or maybe cut his minutes down it could work out.

I give the Pacers a solid B. I think they will be good next season.

Obviously I'm less optimistic that most. Some people are saying they can challenge Cleveland, which is crazy.

You don't trade 1st round picks unless you're getting back another rookie contract or a max player. Every time we have it's burned us. Consider that Thad Young will make $39M over the next 3 years, while the #20 pick will make $6M over 4 years. Not per year, total. Young would have to have a career year to justify the difference in payroll. And like I said, he's been an OK player on atrocious teams. Not a great player, or a great defender. Just ok. And in terms of NBA basketball we now have a middle aged team, bordering on old.

Solo was our best perimeter defender last year, with Paul George conserving energy for offense. He's an incredibly hard worker, never complains, and locks down opposing players. The knocks on him in the draft were that he couldn't shoot and he wasn't fast enough to guard SFs. Well he can guard SFs and his 3pt shot is butter now. He's a poor man's Kawhi Leonard, and deserves all the money he got. He'll never be THAT good, but he's a starting SF in the league.

Ian Mahimni was a fantastic paint defender and efficient with the ball (finally). I used to refer to his doll-sized hands, because he could never hang onto the ball when he got it. Once he got the catch down, his natural strength and athleticism made him a beast. He even started hitting FTs. It's not even a question of whether Myles can replace him defensively because we used to have two rim protectors, one always on the floor, and now we only have one.

IF Jeff Teague has a career year, then we break even at PG. They both had their best seasons two years ago, and Hill peaked higher. Hill is also a 2-way player, and Teague is not. We did not trade for Teague because he's a better player, we traded for him because he fits an up tempo offense better.

Brooks has never been a good PG. Ever. I cannot get excited about a vet minimum journeyman who will be playing major minutes.

Jeremy Evans, statistically, is a super impactful player. So why doesn't anyone want to hold onto him? Because like JaVale McGee, he doesn't know how to play basketball. He's a freak athlete, but that only gets you so far. As long as he's been in the league, expecting him to improve significantly is unlikely.

Al Jefferson was brought in as a big man coach for Myles, who's post game is pretty atrocious. Anything he gives us on the court is bonus, but given the way this team is constructed I can't see him doing a whole lot. Once the rotation settles out I suspect we'll see Lavoy at smallball center as much as we see Al.

Playing faster does not make you better. You score more points, but so does the opponent. And if you run all the time there's not much energy left for defense. This team critically lacks in outside shooting, and too many players have ball dominant skill sets. And we have a roster full of defensively questionable players, outside of George and Turner.

I'll stand by my grade. I'd love for them to prove me wrong.

TheMightyHumph
07-24-2016, 03:00 PM
I'd give my Nets a B. Didn't overspend, got a couple of draft picks to work into the rotation, picked up a PG, added youth and experience.

How LeVert works out will determine the final grade.

Scoots
07-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Maybe, I did have it at A- then held back. I guess it is just that we didn't really do anything to majorly upgrade the team next year on top of somewhat easy to make moves. We didn't get that starting PF for example. I think we were one of the most coveted landing spots for top coaches (especially offering president role too) and got the best fit. We had the 5th pick and took the most coveted guy. We didn't get major players but filled out the roster with good cheap depth.

We definitely played things smart but I wasn't really sure how to grade making good yet somewhat expected key moves and only adding depth. I do really like the end result still so I won't argue with someone saying to make it a higher grade I just don't think we did anything spectacular so I kept it a bit modest.

I understand. The Warriors made a spectacular move, but the rest isn't really all that thrilling. I decided that the best way to grade the offseason was to compare it to the best realistic chances the team had to improve. The Warriors were tired of Bogut and down on Ezeli not being able to get on the floor and when he was he was inconsistent, there was no way Speights was coming back, Rush wanted more PT and while he's good with KD and Iguodala on the roster he wasn't looking at more PT with the Warriors. With all that in mind, the fact that they signed KD, Zaza, West, Varejao, Clark, and McAdoo and drafted Jones and McCaw (coming in with only 1 pick and the last pick in the first at that) ... replacing half the roster, getting younger, and in most regards significantly better ... I can't help but give it an A+ because I don't see a place where they could have reasonably done better.

The only real issue is rim protection ... so we have to hope Green, KD, Jones, and McAdoo will be enough shot blocking ... which is a little scary.

Scoots
07-24-2016, 03:01 PM
I'd give my Nets a B. Didn't overspend, got a couple of draft picks to work into the rotation, picked up a PG, added youth and experience.

How LeVert works out will determine the final grade.

I love Lavert, but the Nets got kind of actively screwed by their RFA signings.

mngopher35
07-24-2016, 03:11 PM
I understand. The Warriors made a spectacular move, but the rest isn't really all that thrilling. I decided that the best way to grade the offseason was to compare it to the best realistic chances the team had to improve. The Warriors were tired of Bogut and down on Ezeli not being able to get on the floor and when he was he was inconsistent, there was no way Speights was coming back, Rush wanted more PT and while he's good with KD and Iguodala on the roster he wasn't looking at more PT with the Warriors. With all that in mind, the fact that they signed KD, Zaza, West, Varejao, Clark, and McAdoo and drafted Jones and McCaw (coming in with only 1 pick and the last pick in the first at that) ... replacing half the roster, getting younger, and in most regards significantly better ... I can't help but give it an A+ because I don't see a place where they could have reasonably done better.

The only real issue is rim protection ... so we have to hope Green, KD, Jones, and McAdoo will be enough shot blocking ... which is a little scary.

Ya Warriors for sure get an A+, they kept their core 3, 2 of their best role players, arguably stayed close to equal on that other role player in Zaza (due to health issues for Bogut as mentioned) all while bringing in a top 3 player to replace Harrison Barnes. They were favored to win before this and upgraded as much as basically any other team haha that has to be graded at the top.

Monta is beast
07-24-2016, 03:23 PM
A++

TheMightyHumph
07-24-2016, 03:30 PM
I love Lavert, but the Nets got kind of actively screwed by their RFA signings.

That's okay. Nets are $20 mil under the cap. We'll try again next season.

Nets would have been overpaying for both RFAs.

JasonJohnHorn
07-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Pistons: D-

I do like Boban Marjanovic, but I feel like with Drummond signed, it's kind of a moot signing.

I am optimistic about the Leuer signing. He can rebound and shoot. That should help spread the floor and clear some space in the paint for Drummond (which Monroe was not providing). But they already have Morris and drafted Ellenson.... and they have Harris, so I'm worried they may have too many forwards. Hopefully it works out. Morris can stay at SF and Leuer can handle PF with Harris.... and I guess Ellenson can get some minutes off the bench.

I'm not crazy about Ish Smith and wish they had improved the SG position. Perhaps they'll trade a forward.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Clint Olbrock
07-24-2016, 04:41 PM
Obviously I'm less optimistic that most. Some people are saying they can challenge Cleveland, which is crazy.

You don't trade 1st round picks unless you're getting back another rookie contract or a max player. Every time we have it's burned us. Consider that Thad Young will make $39M over the next 3 years, while the #20 pick will make $6M over 4 years. Not per year, total. Young would have to have a career year to justify the difference in payroll. And like I said, he's been an OK player on atrocious teams. Not a great player, or a great defender. Just ok. And in terms of NBA basketball we now have a middle aged team, bordering on old.

Solo was our best perimeter defender last year, with Paul George conserving energy for offense. He's an incredibly hard worker, never complains, and locks down opposing players. The knocks on him in the draft were that he couldn't shoot and he wasn't fast enough to guard SFs. Well he can guard SFs and his 3pt shot is butter now. He's a poor man's Kawhi Leonard, and deserves all the money he got. He'll never be THAT good, but he's a starting SF in the league.

Ian Mahimni was a fantastic paint defender and efficient with the ball (finally). I used to refer to his doll-sized hands, because he could never hang onto the ball when he got it. Once he got the catch down, his natural strength and athleticism made him a beast. He even started hitting FTs. It's not even a question of whether Myles can replace him defensively because we used to have two rim protectors, one always on the floor, and now we only have one.

IF Jeff Teague has a career year, then we break even at PG. They both had their best seasons two years ago, and Hill peaked higher. Hill is also a 2-way player, and Teague is not. We did not trade for Teague because he's a better player, we traded for him because he fits an up tempo offense better.

Brooks has never been a good PG. Ever. I cannot get excited about a vet minimum journeyman who will be playing major minutes.

Jeremy Evans, statistically, is a super impactful player. So why doesn't anyone want to hold onto him? Because like JaVale McGee, he doesn't know how to play basketball. He's a freak athlete, but that only gets you so far. As long as he's been in the league, expecting him to improve significantly is unlikely.

Al Jefferson was brought in as a big man coach for Myles, who's post game is pretty atrocious. Anything he gives us on the court is bonus, but given the way this team is constructed I can't see him doing a whole lot. Once the rotation settles out I suspect we'll see Lavoy at smallball center as much as we see Al.

Playing faster does not make you better. You score more points, but so does the opponent. And if you run all the time there's not much energy left for defense. This team critically lacks in outside shooting, and too many players have ball dominant skill sets. And we have a roster full of defensively questionable players, outside of George and Turner.

I'm not sure. I believe you may be overvaluing the pieces that left and undervaluing the pieces that were acquired.

This isn't the Vogel half-court slow pace pound the air outta the ball.

The days of George Hill/Stephenson/PG13/West/Hibbert are over and any pieces or style of play that resemble it.

Every piece you acquired are on good deals(minus maybe you don't agree with Thad) and all the pieces acquired fit into an uptempo offense(outside of Big Al, depending how they use him).

I don't feel your grade and more so your mindset has anything to do with any of the moves made and more so just the change in style of play.

Embrace the uptempo style of play man, it's exciting to watch. Sure they lack shooters but Memphis has been lacking shooters for awhile now and still make the playoffs consistently.

McAllen Tx
07-24-2016, 05:04 PM
I like what my Lakers did. They started off by replacing Kobes luggage carrier Scott with Walton. I think he still hasn't proven much but he was one of the hottest names out there. He's young and very smart and has learned from some of the best. He fits our youth movement.

Then MK didn't do a desperate move and trade 2-3 of our young players for 1 star player who would eventually become a disgruntled star player cause we would've traded just about everyone of value just to get him.

Draft came around and Ingram was a no brainer. I'm sure the FO didn't expect Zubac to fall to #32 ( was reported we had him ranked #16 ) and when he did IMO it changed our whole free agency. IMO Mozgov became a priority for us AFTER Zubac fell to us. We got a starting C, player/coach & mentor all in 1. I agree 4 years was too long but it is what it is. We got the guy we wanted. IMO if Zubac hadn't fallen to us we most likely would've targeted Whiteside.

Deng is a perfect do-it-all handyman that Walton needs to mess around with line ups. Deng being able to play positions 2-4 lets Walton play different line ups with our young players.

Whats not to like about the Calderon trade. We were gifted two 2nd round picks.

We got 3 veterans who are known to be great locker room guys. All 3 have to know that they're being brought here more to mentor then to play. None of the 3 are the type to rock the boat over PT.

These moves also show that the FO has their sights towards next off-season. We will be improved but not enough to totally put us out of contention of again keeping our pick. I see our improvement like Minnys last season, maybe a 10 game improvement but a couple of our young guys putting up some really good #s. 27-29 wins still puts us bottom 4-5 so we can still keep our pick and our pick in 2019 as well.

As we've seen, we can't depend on free agency so we invested on what we have. But the way MK spread out the contracts given this summer he set it up so we still have enough to offer a max contract next summer just in case WB wants to come home.

My grade right now is a B+ but it is far from being final. It can go up or down.

If Zubac eventually becomes a top 7 C and Mozgov has a lot to do with it the grade goes up. If Zubac busts then Mozgov has to be a borderline all star to deserve his contract or my grade goes down.

If our young players really improve and we still keep our pick my grade will go way up. If our young players improve but we lose our pick my grade stays the same. If our young players suck and we still lose our pick my grade will go way down.

My final grade for this offseason could be 2-3 years away depending on Zubac & Mozgov.

ManRam
07-24-2016, 05:23 PM
I give Orlando's a :shrug: out of 10.

I was happier than I expected I would be when the moves were coming in, and I do like many of the pieces...but I'm really unsure of how it will all work out. Could work out great...could be a flop. The team has more assets than they did a few months ago...but there's a lot of uncertainty for this year and beyond. So, a big TBD. But all things considered, it was better than I expected.

aman_13
07-24-2016, 05:35 PM

I was happier than I expected I would be when the moves were coming in, and I do like many of the pieces...but I'm really unsure of how it will all work out. Could work out great...could be a flop. The team has more assets than they did a few months ago...but there's a lot of uncertainty for this year and beyond. So, a big TBD. But all things considered, it was better than I expected.

How many wins are you expecting?

McAllen Tx
07-24-2016, 05:38 PM

I wouldve loved for the Lakers to have jumped on that 1 year $15 million deal you guys gave Green instead of the 4 year $72 million we gave Deng. But it's all good cause in Deng we got a temporary starter, player/coach, mentor, do-it-all handyman.

You guys a bit front court heavy dont you think?

ManRam
07-24-2016, 06:10 PM
How many wins are you expecting?

I have a really hard time separating the middle of the pack in the East. There's a ton of balance and I don't think a lot will ultimately separate a lot of them in the standings. I think something like 40 wins is a fair expectation. They won 35 last year so you'd hope for some improvement. I wouldn't be shocked if they won 45...and honestly, I wouldn't be gobsmacked if they completely flopped and won 35.

I really just have a hard time nailing down predictions for teams like Charlotte, Indy, Detroit, Washington, Chicago, New York, Milwaukee, etc. I could see most/any of them pushing for a 5 seed if everything goes right...and I could see any of them plummeting to the 12th best record. The Magic are kinda right there too.

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-24-2016, 06:10 PM
B for the Bulls for the names they signed. How they play together is TBD. Rose's time was up here and replacing an oft-injured Noah and aging Gasol with Lopez and opening up more PT for Portis is a step in the right direction. Wade falling from the sky bumped up the grade. The B can drop to a C or D, or go up to an A depending on how these guys fit on the court.

SeoulBeatz
07-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Sixers A-

Drafted a franchise changing talent in Ben Simmons. Got a potential steal in Luwawu late as well.
Got Dario Saric to come over.
Signed 3 solid vets to help bolster our weak backcourt in Sergio Rodriguez, Gerald Henderson, and Bayless.
Didn't rush Embiid back to the court in summer league, instead allowing him to build up to 100% health. And he looks in fantastic shape from the last vids I've seen of him.
Didn't trade away Okafor or Noel for scraps.

But most importantly, they didn't overspend on players like Barnes, Parsons, or Derozan (to a lesser extent).

I was worried Colangelo would feel pressured to try to "win-now" but instead, he took what Hinkie started and perfectly build off that foundation. Couldn't be happier with our offseason. #trusttheprocess #hinkiediedforoursins

Scoots
07-24-2016, 06:45 PM
How did the Clippers add 7 players re-sign 4 players this off-season and only lose 6?

Players re-signed
Jamal Crawford
Austin Rivers
Wesley Johnson
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

Players added
Brice Johnson
David Michineau
Diamond Stone
Brandon Bass
Raymond Felton
Marreese Speights
Devyn Marble

Players lost
Cole Aldrich
Jeff Green
Pablo Prigioni
C.J. Wilcox
Branden Dawson
Devyn Marble

Unchanged
Blake Griffin
CP3
DeAndre Jordan
JJ Redick
Paul Pierce
Jeff Ayers

That's too many players ... I wonder if they are cutting Ayers and hoping Pierce retires?

Clint Olbrock
07-24-2016, 07:03 PM
How did the Clippers add 7 players re-sign 4 players this off-season and only lose 6?

Players re-signed
Jamal Crawford
Austin Rivers
Wesley Johnson
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

Players added
Brice Johnson
David Michineau
Diamond Stone
Brandon Bass
Raymond Felton
Marreese Speights
Devyn Marble

Players lost
Cole Aldrich
Jeff Green
Pablo Prigioni
C.J. Wilcox
Branden Dawson
Devyn Marble

Unchanged
Blake Griffin
CP3
DeAndre Jordan
JJ Redick
Paul Pierce
Jeff Ayers

That's too many players ... I wonder if they are cutting Ayers and hoping Pierce retires?

They have 15 guys, they can add 5 more to make up their camp roster. What's the issue?

CP3
Blake
DJ
JJ
Pierce
Crawford
Wes
Rivers
LRMaM
Felton
Speights
Bass
Stone
Brice
Michineau

IndyRealist
07-24-2016, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure. I believe you may be overvaluing the pieces that left and undervaluing the pieces that were acquired.

This isn't the Vogel half-court slow pace pound the air outta the ball.

The days of George Hill/Stephenson/PG13/West/Hibbert are over and any pieces or style of play that resemble it.

Every piece you acquired are on good deals(minus maybe you don't agree with Thad) and all the pieces acquired fit into an uptempo offense(outside of Big Al, depending how they use him).

I don't feel your grade and more so your mindset has anything to do with any of the moves made and more so just the change in style of play.

Embrace the uptempo style of play man, it's exciting to watch. Sure they lack shooters but Memphis has been lacking shooters for awhile now and still make the playoffs consistently.

I mean, I think you're underestimating the contributions of our key players last year, and are still in the honeymoon phase where our acquisitions look like gold. But that's kind of the point of a disagreement. You don't see it my way, and I don't see it yours.

The players we got in are statistically worse than the players we lost. That's what is reflected in my grade. Solo is better than anyone on our bench now. Mahimni was a top 10 paint defender. Thad Young was not. Jeff Teague had a horrible season, George Hill was still decent despite having a ballhog in the backcourt with him. Aaron Brooks on ANY contract is a bad contract. He should be in China or Greece.

You seem to be giving a lot of weight to the style of play making us better. But like I said, playing faster doesn't automatically make you better. While you're scoring more points, you're giving up more points too (really what you're doing is increasing possessions for both you and the opponent, but that's semantics for the purposes of this conversation).

If you've watched Memphis, you'd know they also tried to go faster last year, and also reverted to power basketball when it wasn't working. Memphis has perennially been in the playoffs without shooting because they play a slow, defensive based halfcourt game. I think they illustrate my point more than they do yours.

So here are the qualifiers: Georges Niang looks like a steal, but everyone does in Summer League. CJ Miles will finally be healthy after getting beat up at PF last season. Given how bad our SGs are and the need for outside shooting, Glenn Robinson III might actually get minutes.

I will also say that the rumors about Ellis were NOT about the Pacers trying to trade him, from what I've seen. They were trying to trade Stuckey for Rudy Gay, but Sacramento wants Ellis instead, and the Pacers are unwilling to part with him. Which means we're stuck with him and his stupid 20ft fadeaways.

Scoots
07-24-2016, 07:32 PM
They have 15 guys, they can add 5 more to make up their camp roster. What's the issue?

CP3
Blake
DJ
JJ
Pierce
Crawford
Wes
Rivers
LRMaM
Felton
Speights
Bass
Stone
Brice
Michineau

According to ESPN they have 17 players and are only allowed to have 15. I guess Ayers is gone ... but that still leaves them 1 over.

Clint Olbrock
07-24-2016, 07:41 PM
According to ESPN they have 17 players and are only allowed to have 15. I guess Ayers is gone ... but that still leaves them 1 over.

They still have Prigioni on there, who signed with the Rockets. They have Ayers on there, who is a FA.

Even so, you can carry 20 players on your roster during the off season. You only have to cut your roster to 15 at the end of October before the regular season starts.

Scoots
07-24-2016, 09:34 PM
They still have Prigioni on there, who signed with the Rockets. They have Ayers on there, who is a FA.

Even so, you can carry 20 players on your roster during the off season. You only have to cut your roster to 15 at the end of October before the regular season starts.

I didn't list Prigioni.

Players re-signed
Jamal Crawford
Austin Rivers
Wesley Johnson
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

Players added
Brice Johnson
David Michineau
Diamond Stone
Brandon Bass
Raymond Felton
Marreese Speights
Devyn Marble

Unchanged
Blake Griffin
CP3
DeAndre Jordan
JJ Redick
Paul Pierce
Jeff Ayers

But I will admit, I didn't think it was possible to have 20 players on NBA contracts. I know you can have camp invites who get paid a small amount, but they are not signed to NBA contracts. But it's entirely possible I'm wrong.

Clint Olbrock
07-24-2016, 10:11 PM
I didn't list Prigioni.

But I will admit, I didn't think it was possible to have 20 players on NBA contracts. I know you can have camp invites who get paid a small amount, but they are not signed to NBA contracts. But it's entirely possible I'm wrong.
If you get a minute, read this article(http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/09/nba-roster-limits.html). Talks about being allowed to carry 20 during the off-season, with real life examples from a couple summers ago where teams had as many as 17 guaranteed contracts on their roster during the summer.

Initially I know you didn't mention Pablo, ESPN does. Which is where you were getting your point of reference.

We start with the unchanged
1. CP3
2. Blake
3. DJ
4. JJ
5. Pierce
Ayers(he was only signed for the remainder of last season, therefore he doesn't count)
We then move to the added
6. Bass
7. Felton
8. Speights
9. Stone
10. Brice
11. Michineau
Marble(he was waived, therefore he doesn't count)
We lastly go to the retained
12. Crawford
13. Wes
14. Rivers
15. Prince Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
Ending note, you said "According to ESPN they have 17 players and are only allowed to have 15. I guess Ayers is gone ... but that still leaves them 1 over."

The extra "1" on ESPN's site is Prigioni(he doesn't count, he signed with the Rockets).

But none of it matters because the Clippers can add 5 more players to their 15 and it would be allowed.

Scoots
07-24-2016, 11:13 PM
If you get a minute, read this article(http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/09/nba-roster-limits.html). Talks about being allowed to carry 20 during the off-season, with real life examples from a couple summers ago where teams had as many as 17 guaranteed contracts on their roster during the summer.

Initially I know you didn't mention Pablo, ESPN does. Which is where you were getting your point of reference.

We start with the unchanged
1. CP3
2. Blake
3. DJ
4. JJ
5. Pierce
Ayers(he was only signed for the remainder of last season, therefore he doesn't count)
We then move to the added
6. Bass
7. Felton
8. Speights
9. Stone
10. Brice
11. Michineau
Marble(he was waived, therefore he doesn't count)
We lastly go to the retained
12. Crawford
13. Wes
14. Rivers
15. Prince Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
Ending note, you said "According to ESPN they have 17 players and are only allowed to have 15. I guess Ayers is gone ... but that still leaves them 1 over."

The extra "1" on ESPN's site is Prigioni(he doesn't count, he signed with the Rockets).

But none of it matters because the Clippers can add 5 more players to their 15 and it would be allowed.

Thanks for the link. It was Marble that was the 17th guy on the initial list.

aman_13
07-25-2016, 02:33 AM
I have a really hard time separating the middle of the pack in the East. There's a ton of balance and I don't think a lot will ultimately separate a lot of them in the standings. I think something like 40 wins is a fair expectation. They won 35 last year so you'd hope for some improvement. I wouldn't be shocked if they won 45...and honestly, I wouldn't be gobsmacked if they completely flopped and won 35.

I really just have a hard time nailing down predictions for teams like Charlotte, Indy, Detroit, Washington, Chicago, New York, Milwaukee, etc. I could see most/any of them pushing for a 5 seed if everything goes right...and I could see any of them plummeting to the 12th best record. The Magic are kinda right there too.

I think Detroit is an upper echelon team in the East but I agree, it's hard to get a read on most of these teams.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2016, 10:42 AM

Players re-signed
Jamal Crawford
Austin Rivers
Wesley Johnson
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

Players added
Brice Johnson
David Michineau
Diamond Stone
Brandon Bass
Raymond Felton
Marreese Speights
Devyn Marble

Players lost
Cole Aldrich
Jeff Green
Pablo Prigioni
C.J. Wilcox
Branden Dawson
Devyn Marble

Unchanged
Blake Griffin
CP3
DeAndre Jordan
JJ Redick
Paul Pierce
Jeff Ayers

I know he will never play, but I have to root for the Clips just a little now, they got a Hawkeye..

JWO35
07-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Detroit Pistons: B

Solid B for the Pistons. They manage to draft a player that was projected to be a lottery player in Henry Ellenson at 18. The Pistons main goal in free agency was to improve the bench and that is what they did. Out with Steve Blake in comes Ish Smith, out with Anthony Tolliver and in comes Jon Leuer, and signing Boban is insurance for Baynes if he decides to opt out next year.

nycericanguy
07-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Sixers A-

Drafted a franchise changing talent in Ben Simmons. Got a potential steal in Luwawu late as well.
Got Dario Saric to come over.
Signed 3 solid vets to help bolster our weak backcourt in Sergio Rodriguez, Gerald Henderson, and Bayless.
Didn't rush Embiid back to the court in summer league, instead allowing him to build up to 100% health. And he looks in fantastic shape from the last vids I've seen of him.
Didn't trade away Okafor or Noel for scraps.

But most importantly, they didn't overspend on players like Barnes, Parsons, or Derozan (to a lesser extent).

I was worried Colangelo would feel pressured to try to "win-now" but instead, he took what Hinkie started and perfectly build off that foundation. Couldn't be happier with our offseason. #trusttheprocess #hinkiediedforoursins

I don't get this kind of thinking from fans, Sergio, Gerald & Bayless aren't going to move the needle, and they don't have any upside. They are barely NBA rotation players. you would rather spend $20+m on those 3 and tie up 3 roster spots than to pay legitimate young starting caliber difference makers with upside like Barnes & Parsons?

I agree that PHI needs some veteran presence, but there are always guys available for cheap to fill that role.

warfelg
07-25-2016, 12:13 PM
I don't get this kind of thinking from fans, Sergio, Gerald & Bayless aren't going to move the needle, and they don't have any upside. They are barely NBA rotation players. you would rather spend $20+m on those 3 and tie up 3 roster spots than to pay legitimate young starting caliber difference makers with upside like Barnes & Parsons?

I agree that PHI needs some veteran presence, but there are always guys available for cheap to fill that role.

Sergio is a one year deal.
Bayless is a 3 year declining salary.
Henderson is partially guaranteed.

All vets to bring leadership and help. They aren't supposed to move the win needle or have much upside. They're there to help our young guys learn the NBA way a help them be calmer on the cap.

nycericanguy
07-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Sergio is a one year deal.
Bayless is a 3 year declining salary.
Henderson is partially guaranteed.

All vets to bring leadership and help. They aren't supposed to move the win needle or have much upside. They're there to help our young guys learn the NBA way a help them be calmer on the cap.

yea i get that, but to say you rather have those 3 over Parsons or Barnes or Derozan?

And spin it into a positive? I don't know, that makes zero sense to me. I don't think any NBA fan would rather pay those 3 guys $20m vs getting a quality young-ish starter instead.

warfelg
07-25-2016, 12:58 PM
yea i get that, but to say you rather have those 3 over Parsons or Barnes or Derozan?

And spin it into a positive? I don't know, that makes zero sense to me. I don't think any NBA fan would rather pay those 3 guys $20m vs getting a quality young-ish starter instead.

Yes. I rather have those three together making the total of what a single one of those guys you listed.

Scoots
07-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Every year people say "We got a lottery pick at the <any pick outside the lottery> pick" ... the mock drafts are all over the place every year. Every year there are 30 or more guys who are listed in the lottery at some point on some mock. Luwawu went from being a late first round pick to top 8 suddenly and then slid back toward where he belonged. It happens every year because the teams are not the ones talking :).

McAllen Tx
07-25-2016, 11:15 PM

I mentioned something like this a couple of weeks ago. For the 4th off-season in a row Philly had again done nothing in free agency to better themselves. Also refused trade after trade. Another tank year for Philly.

I'm not saying I disagree for not overpaying mid tier players or not trading a big for pennies on the dollar but this tanking it's getting ridiculous. 4th year in a row. They are again a bottom 3 team.

IMO the league should, behind the scenes of course, give Philly a certain date (way before the trading deadline) to trade their 1st next draft so they have no incentive to tank this year. Not saying to trade the pick wholesale, but to get the best deal available next season.

I expect some kind of league discipline to be handed down to Philly soon if they don't begin to even attempt to put a winning team on the court. Of course it's gonna be handled Minny/Smith style where they punish the team on some BS infraction but it was really for something else.

LA_Raiders
07-26-2016, 02:05 AM
Draft = A
FA = F
Overall = C

lol, please
07-26-2016, 02:12 AM
Grade your team's offseason. Name your team and give grade with a summary. Try to be objective as possible.

Miami Heat
B-

I would have liked to see Wade be a lifer, but it was time to move on for both sides. Joe Johnson was never part of the future, though Luol will be a tough loss. They managed to retain Whiteside and Tyler Johnson and essentially opened up starting spots to aide the development of Winslow and Richardson. They now have great depth and signed a few shooters/will be a huge sleeper if Bosh comes 'round.

Hard not to give an A+, we landed Durant. We have also added some side pieces, it's really hard to complain about our offseason.

We lost Barbosa, but that would be nitpicking.

RLundi
07-26-2016, 08:42 AM
I'll give my Orlando Magic a "C" for their offseason grade as the average of all their offseason moves.

On one hand, we as an organization were stagnating. Ownership desperately wanted to make the postseason now after last year's disappointing finish. So I understand moves had to be made. But on the other hand, almost all of them were puzzling at best, terrible at worst:

1. Trading Oladipo for Ibaka- I understand why this move was made, to shore up the defense. Still, Oladipo is one of the most promising young guards in the league, and he was given away, including a draft pick, for Ibaka, who's declined each of the past 2 seasons and will be an unrestricted FA next summer. Oladipo, if kept, would've been a lock to resign. Ibaka is a huge question mark, but if resigned, would command $30M+ a year. This wouldn't be a big deal if we were contending and Ibaka was the final piece. But we are not close at all to being a championship team, and we jettisoned a young player for an older, more expensive, less effective one. Grade: C-

2. Signing Biyombo- He had a decent season and a better postseason last year. In actuality, he is a one-trick pony. Even worse, Vucevic is the far better player at the same position, never mind the fact that we traded for the ideal player to put beside him in Ibaka. What sense did it make to spend $70M on a bench player? Or, what sense does it make to relegate your best scorer in Vucevic to the bench and have a starting lineup comprised of FOUR non-scorers? This signing still makes no sense to me. Grade: C

3. Signing Jeff Green- On one hand, it's a 1-year contract, it's insurance in case Gordon falters, and we wanted depth. I get it all. But we had a better, younger, and cheaper Green clone in Harris. And we traded him for absolutely nothing. I know that trade wasn't this offseason, but it's an integral piece of the puzzle. Green seems like a worse fit. Grade: D

4. Signing Fournier- The contract alone makes this a steal. Fournier was one of the best shooters in the league last season. Now that Oladipo is gone, he gets to assume the starting SG spot and will probably be our primary scorer. Grade: A

5. Signing Meeks and Augustin- We needed depth, badly. The team hasn't had a decent backup PG since Troy Hudson, circa 2000s. Augustin will help. Meeks just provides another shooter, something we desperately lack. I think these signings make us marginally better, but they're only meant to be supplementary. Grade: B

mightybosstone
07-26-2016, 08:53 AM
Rockets: B-
I can't knock them for not getting Durant, as they were clearly never really in that conversation. And Horford was still a long shot. But at least they finally added some quality shooters to the rotation and solid character guys I feel good about in Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon, although I'm admittedly concerned about how injury prone they are. The Nene signing was a great value addition that will add significant depth, so that was certainly a positive. The two moves that sort of cancel each other out in my eyes are the D'Antoni signing and the Harden re-signing. I think D'Antoni was probably a good move for what they wanted to do offensively, but he was far from my first pick, and I still think they should have gone with a defensive minded coach. So that's probably a C- or a D+ for me. But re-upping Harden in this market today where superstars are leaving to form superteams every offseason was a huge deal for this franchise, and it means a lot to Rockets fans.

But I still don't think the Rockets offseason is complete. I still think they'll make at least one trade this offseason to free up some of the log jams they have at other positions to add another decent PG to the roster. And Motiejunas is still up in the air, but I ultimately feel like he's more than likely going to return unless Morey can get some sign and trade value out of him to address another position, which seems unlikely.

Scoots
07-26-2016, 11:18 AM
I can't knock them for not getting Durant, as they were clearly never really in that conversation. And Horford was still a long shot. But at least they finally added some quality shooters to the rotation and solid character guys I feel good about in Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon, although I'm admittedly concerned about how injury prone they are. The Nene signing was a great value addition that will add significant depth, so that was certainly a positive. The two moves that sort of cancel each other out in my eyes are the D'Antoni signing and the Harden re-signing. I think D'Antoni was probably a good move for what they wanted to do offensively, but he was far from my first pick, and I still think they should have gone with a defensive minded coach. So that's probably a C- or a D+ for me. But re-upping Harden in this market today where superstars are leaving to form superteams every offseason was a huge deal for this franchise, and it means a lot to Rockets fans.

But I still don't think the Rockets offseason is complete. I still think they'll make at least one trade this offseason to free up some of the log jams they have at other positions to add another decent PG to the roster. And Motiejunas is still up in the air, but I ultimately feel like he's more than likely going to return unless Morey can get some sign and trade value out of him to address another position, which seems unlikely.

I think the Pelicans trainers were a big factor in the lack of health of their players so Anderson and Gordon may well have healthy career years this year. I'm surprised Motie hasn't been traded by now and that Jones signed a vet minimum contract elsewhere ... I liked both of those guys a few years ago and their value has just fallen off a cliff.

YAALREADYKNO
07-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Mavs
C+

PAOboston
07-26-2016, 06:10 PM
My grade for the C's: B+

There was a lot of disappointment for how things transpired in Boston so far this offseason. I think people expected big headline making moves, partly because of ownership's "fireworks" comments, partly just media hype. Overall, it's hard to argue the C's didn't get better. They signed the 2nd best FA in Horford who is legitimately an excellent fit for the team. He fits what they do/need almost perfectly. He makes the C's a better team as he replaces the corpse of Jared Sullinger. He probably makes the C's a 50-55 win team. They also added Gerald Green as a scoring punch off the bench.

For the draft, I was shocked they actually made that many picks. I don't really have an issue with the Jaylen Brown pick. He fits the Ainge M.O. of physical specimen that can become a great multi position defender that he seems to covet (see examples like Smart/Bradley). His offense is a question mark but at 19, he is a project and will take a few years to develop. He does have a very high ceiling though if he figures it all out. Yabusele showed some nice things in Summer League but he's a draft and stash guy (Zizic too) so who knows about them.

The one loss that I think isn't getting enough attention is Evan Turner. Stevens really turned this guy's career around and Turner was a big piece to the C's success last year. Obviously, Turner took that massive deal (as he should have) and the C's didn't really sign anyone to replace him. I'm assuming they expect forward progress in the development of Smart/Rozier to pick up the ball handling/scoring void.

Overall, on paper, the C's are better.

For other teams, I like what Indiana did. I think Teague is underrated and will do well there. Also, I think Orlando is going to be a very difficult team to play against. They should have a top 5 defense but their offense will be a huge issue.

The East is congested at the moment. Outside of Cleveland, I think Toronto and Boston round up spots 2-3. The rest is wide open. Indiana/Detroit should move up this year, Charlotte/Miami will regress. Who the hell knows with Chicago and the Knicks.

McAllen Tx
07-26-2016, 08:17 PM

IMO a simple straight up trade of either Ariza or Brewer to Sacto for Koufas would be good for both teams

mightybosstone
07-26-2016, 11:11 PM
IMO a simple straight up trade of either Ariza or Brewer to Sacto for Koufas would be good for both teams

Mmmm.... That's debatable. Ariza for Koufus would be a horrible deal for Houston. Brewer for Koufus is a horrible deal for Sacramento. Honestly, though, center isn't my biggest issue of concern right now. I'm actually more concerned about the lack of depth at PG and SF. I'm kind of digging the Capela/Nene rotation with DMo potentially getting some minutes there. It offers a lot of versatility, and I think it fits what D'Antoni will want to do from an offensive standpoint.

I'd much rather see the Rockets put together a package for someone like Rubio, Knight or Bledsoe, although I kind of doubt that they have the pieces to make that deal work.

Scoots
07-26-2016, 11:22 PM
Mmmm.... That's debatable. Ariza for Koufus would be a horrible deal for Houston. Brewer for Koufus is a horrible deal for Sacramento. Honestly, though, center isn't my biggest issue of concern right now. I'm actually more concerned about the lack of depth at PG and SF. I'm kind of digging the Capela/Nene rotation with DMo potentially getting some minutes there. It offers a lot of versatility, and I think it fits what D'Antoni will want to do from an offensive standpoint.

I'd much rather see the Rockets put together a package for someone like Rubio, Knight or Bledsoe, although I kind of doubt that they have the pieces to make that deal work.

Rubio would be perfect next to Harden ... but would Harden be willing to not have the ball as much ... like way less.

IKnowHoops
07-27-2016, 01:51 AM

I was so pro Simmons the entire time. It was never even a question in my mind that Simmons was the guy I'd take first.

IKnowHoops
07-27-2016, 02:42 AM

Your overplaying it. They are in a perfect position to get the right pieces because Hinkie always drafted the best player available and those pieces are pretty valuable right now. There super young right now, even if all those pieces fit perfectly through drafted need, they would still be to young to even be average aka Timberwolves.

Ben Simmons is the new leader of that team. He needs 3 years. So the Sixers have 3 years. There is zero urgency to move Noel of Oakafur. They can monitor there situations over the next season or two and then trade them when a good scenario comes along they can make the a trade for a good player who fits. 95% of the teams that didn't make the playoffs would love to be in there position.

ombada
07-27-2016, 02:58 AM

This team got substantially better. I would have loved to keep Hill and get teague, but that was not a possibility and ultimately we got the younger player with more offensive upside. He is a better fit to the team. Hill would have been perfect next to him at SG, but honestly we didnt need him as much as we needed Teague to run the team. Hill plays great defense and shoots the 3 really well, but he is terrible at getting the team into plays and is too passive from the top of the key. The only play he can run effectively is a 1-4 or 1-5 pick and roll. Hill was also 100 + in terms of drives to the hoop per game, i believe teague was fifth in the entire NBA. George will be the biggest benefactor of Teagues ability to penetrate the defense and kick.

Al Jefferson will be back-up. He has talked on JMV about embracing a bench role. He will be the feature of the second unit. With him, Stucky, Miles, Brooks and Evans off the bench we are solid 2 deep at every position. all of those players save Evans have been full time starters as some point in their careers. Back to Jefferson, they have to slow it down and play the half court sometimes. No team plays small ball 100 percent of the time. Im sure some of the time, he will be playing alongside Turner, George, Ellis and Teague in a more traditional half court set. Thats the best thing about this team, their depth leaves so many possibilities for mixing and matching.

Overall, what makes the difference, is that there is just more talent around George. We were not very likely to get a player as good as Young with the 20th pick in this particular draft, that would be able to help right away. We turned it into a consummate pro that fits very well into the system we are trying to run.

My grade for the pacers is an A. They improved a lot and spent little money to do it. they left enough cap to extend Teague, and are poised to make a big splash in the east. The last two years i felt like they were teams overachieving for their talent level. This year i feel like they should be top 4 in the east.

5ass
07-27-2016, 03:30 AM
Magic: B- ( could easily end up being much better or much worse)

Vogel: underrated coach. Good upgrade over Skiles. They also got Forcier, a well respected spurs player development assistant coach. They should be great considering the Magic have some young pieces. A+

Fournier: Great contract. He took a pay cut to stay. A

Oladipo for Ibaka: I still don't think this was a good trade, but I'm going to give it time because I wouldn't be surprised if I change my mind a few months into the season. You can't ask for a more perfect fit with Vucevic and Gordon though. D

Biyombo: I liked that move. We need an elite defense and biyombo helps a lot. We basically traded Tobias Harris to get Biyombo and i'm happy with that upgrade. I think biyombo helps us win more games. A player like biyombo was much needed for toughness and energy. He'll bring an infectious energy and if him, Mario and Gordon can't wake up the dead crowd nothing will. Maybe like 2 mill/yr overpay, which is not much these days. B

DJ Augustine: we needed a good back up PG badly last year. Watson is not dependable. He should be a great third string PG though.

Green: I'm in favor of having a vet compete with Gordon for minutes and provide depth. I don't care about the contract amount since its only one year. Green is a decent fit. I give this a good grade mostly because we're maintaining cap flexibility to make big moves. B-

McAllen Tx
07-27-2016, 08:12 AM
Your overplaying it. They are in a perfect position to get the right pieces because Hinkie always drafted the best player available and those pieces are pretty valuable right now. There super young right now, even if all those pieces fit perfectly through drafted need, they would still be to young to even be average aka Timberwolves.

Ben Simmons is the new leader of that team. He needs 3 years. So the Sixers have 3 years. There is zero urgency to move Noel of Oakafur. They can monitor there situations over the next season or two and then trade them when a good scenario comes along they can make the a trade for a good player who fits. 95% of the teams that didn't make the playoffs would love to be in there position.
Actually you dont have a few years to decide what to do with Noel. Hes gonna get max money next summer. If you plan on paying him then I guess you guys are good but Embiid if healthy gonna want max money the following summer and then Okafor the year after that.

If Noel isn't part of your future plans then his trade value only goes down the closer you get to the trading deadline. If Embiid healthy how much PT is Noel gonna get, also gonna affect his trade value.

Scoots
07-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Actually you dont have a few years to decide what to do with Noel. Hes gonna get max money next summer. If you plan on paying him then I guess you guys are good but Embiid if healthy gonna want max money the following summer and then Okafor the year after that.

If Noel isn't part of your future plans then his trade value only goes down the closer you get to the trading deadline. If Embiid healthy how much PT is Noel gonna get, also gonna affect his trade value.

I'm sure Myers would offer the Warriors next tradeable 1st for Noel :)

mrblisterdundee
07-27-2016, 01:52 PM
Portland gets a B-, creating a somewhat dynamic roster but looking desperate in pursuit of second- and third-tier wings.
I think the Blazers got some great deals on Meyers Leonard ($10 million a season) and Festus Ezeli ($8 million), but I don't know quite what they were thinking with Allen Crabbe and Evan Turner.
I can see keeping Crabbe as a sixth man and small-ball small forward, but I don't know if he was worth $18.7 million a season. And I don't know why the Blazers went so hard after Turner, who figures to be a $17.5 million-a-season bench player. He'll provide some playmaking, but Crabbe is already the perfect fit as the sixth man. I think the Blazers should have saved that money they spent on Turner for Maurice Harkless. Even Lance Stephenson would have been better investment than Turner, who can't shoot.
There were still some decent lower-tier big men the Blazers could have targeted, such as Donatas Motiejunas, Miles Plumlee (come on; tell me you don't want the Plumlee brothers on the same team) and Kevin Seraphin.

TheMightyHumph
07-27-2016, 02:27 PM
I think the Blazers should have saved that money they spent on Turner for Maurice Harkless. Even Lance Stephenson would have been better investment than Turner, who can't shoot.

Blazers re-signed Mo Harkless.

mrblisterdundee
07-27-2016, 06:53 PM
Blazers re-signed Mo Harkless.

I missed that, but it still doesn't change my opinion on Turner. He's not really that needed in Portland.

Mave1002
07-27-2016, 11:57 PM
I still can't give a FINAL off-season grade for my team. I won't give a mark til after we sign Ingram, Black and Huertas. Everybody's saying that there's still something brewing.

Should my team trade for DeMarcus Cousins involving ONE of our young guys (Julius Randle being my preference) plus say, Lou Williams, Nick Young + two 2nd rounders we acquired through the Calderon trade (via CHI), then i'll give an A.

A+ if we don't give up any of the young core AND get DMC. So yeah, A+ is an impossibility RIGHT NOW.

kobe4thewinbang
07-28-2016, 02:03 AM
Lakers...I'd give a B.

Much better effort now that they were not crippled by Kobe's albatross contract. I'm not sure about the Mozgov signing. I think he could be good, but it feels a bit like rich man's Chris Kaman time to me and his injury history is worrisome. I hope Clarkson continues to improve since he's a Laker for a while now and I like Ingram's summer league so far. D'Lo seems matured and more 'clutch' than he's already showed flashes of. Zubac, I dunno, but Nance could become maybe Aaron Gordon if he keeps after it.

I feel like the Lakers could have done more, and who knows, maybe a big trade will go down still yet (remember the James Harden sudden trade), but signing Deng is a nice move (had him on my 2k team) and hopefully Tarik Black will continue to be fierce, especially lest Mozgov get hurt. Calderon I guess can be a good mentor, but seems like a 'meh' move to me, and Swaggy P is still on the team.

Lakers still haven't signed anybody yet, which makes me wonder if they are still fishing.

murphturph
07-28-2016, 11:11 PM
Toronto Raptors - F+

Question: Would you have rather let Derozan walk in free agency or signed him to the contract Ujiri singed him to?
Also
Question: Who would you have picked instead of Jacob Poeltl?
Question: Is it a smart move to invest 35 million a year on 2 centres. Don't get me wrong I love Bombo and he earned that contract.
Question: What would you have done differntly. Given a better package than Oladipo, 12th pick, and Ersan for Serge?

Green_Monster
07-28-2016, 11:38 PM
I still can't give a FINAL off-season grade for my team. I won't give a mark til after we sign Ingram, Black and Huertas. Everybody's saying that there's still something brewing.

Should my team trade for DeMarcus Cousins involving ONE of our young guys (Julius Randle being my preference) plus say, Lou Williams, Nick Young + two 2nd rounders we acquired through the Calderon trade (via CHI), then i'll give an A.

A+ if we don't give up any of the young core AND get DMC. So yeah, A+ is an impossibility RIGHT NOW.

That package doesn't come close to landing Cousins. It's not even halfway there.

hugepatsfan
07-29-2016, 03:45 PM
For BOS...

took Brown over Dunn which I wasn't a fan of but Brown was my second choice and I can see the logic. So even though I didn't like it I won't give it an F.

Out of the rest of the draft I liked the Zizic pick at #23 and the 3 2nd rounders they used. The trade I didn't like because I wanted the Michigan State kid but it was good value. Didn't like Yabu at #16 but after summer league I do. So overall I liked this part of the draft.

I liked the Horford signing.

I'd give them a B for what they did but what they didn't do lowers it. I would have went harder for Butler on draft day. Glad they didn't go for Okafor but I would have liked Noel. For not making those moves I lower it to a B-/C+.

tp13baby
07-29-2016, 04:23 PM
Lakers...I'd give a B.

Much better effort now that they were not crippled by Kobe's albatross contract. I'm not sure about the Mozgov signing. I think he could be good, but it feels a bit like rich man's Chris Kaman time to me and his injury history is worrisome. I hope Clarkson continues to improve since he's a Laker for a while now and I like Ingram's summer league so far. D'Lo seems matured and more 'clutch' than he's already showed flashes of. Zubac, I dunno, but Nance could become maybe Aaron Gordon if he keeps after it.

I feel like the Lakers could have done more, and who knows, maybe a big trade will go down still yet (remember the James Harden sudden trade), but signing Deng is a nice move (had him on my 2k team) and hopefully Tarik Black will continue to be fierce, especially lest Mozgov get hurt. Calderon I guess can be a good mentor, but seems like a 'meh' move to me, and Swaggy P is still on the team.

Lakers still haven't signed anybody yet, which makes me wonder if they are still fishing.

If that gets DMC, Ill trade Gallo and Murray for LBJ.

Seriously LA has zero chance in my opinion to get DMC with the talent they have.

KingJudah
07-29-2016, 05:38 PM
76ers gets an A+ from me. Great draft and perfect free agent role player veterans on good cheap contracts. The 76ers will suprise everyone and make the playoffs.

KingJudah
07-29-2016, 05:47 PM
That package doesn't come close to landing Cousins. It's not even halfway there.

Seems like alot of Lakers fans over value guys like Clarkson and Russell and even ingram thinking just one of them and some trash on the side can land a cousins.

tp13baby
07-29-2016, 07:37 PM
Seems like alot of Lakers fans over value guys like Clarkson and Russell and even ingram thinking just one of them and some trash on the side can land a cousins.

How he thinks 2 second rounders, Lou Will, Nick Young and Randle is even close to sufficient to receive DMC is freaking ridiculous.

Denver can throw them Nurkic/Faried/Barton and 3 first rounders over the next 3 years and I don't even know if that's enough.