PDA

View Full Version : Loyalty Or stupidity?

More-Than-Most
07-22-2016, 07:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17126487/dallas-mavericks-increase-value-dirk-nowitzki-two-year-deal-50-million

I was against this with wade and Dirk to be honest... People give Cuban **** but this is pretty nice with how he treats dirk.. I am not a fan of this personally and think its stupidity but with the cap being a get out of jail free card I guess its not as dumb.

IndyRealist
07-22-2016, 08:10 PM
It's Cuban's money, really, and if he is done shopping the extra money doesn't do anything to them this year, so at worst they have $10m less next summer. I think this also makes them look a lot better to potential free agents.

nycericanguy
07-22-2016, 08:12 PM
I mean Dirk & Wade are still star level players, it's not like these guys are being given free money. I think on the open market Dirk would easily command 25-30m on a 1 year deal, so its fair. DAL couldn't sign anyone else and Dirk has been taking discounts so it's the right thing to do.

Cal827
07-22-2016, 09:09 PM
There are some players, who for what they've done for their franchises, should basically get what the team can give them. Especially teams in the situations that Dallas/Miami are in. No way in hell that either team are going to be contenders over the next seasons... both are likely fringe playoff teams at best due to players leaving and are bound on other contracts (Miami with Dragic, Bosh, Whiteside, Johnson). Dallas will have some cap space (could try for one big FA next season), but will also probably be rebuilding very soon (they have had no luck with FAs over the past few seasons). Might as well give them some extra.... still shocked Wade left Miami. Wonder if Riley is gonna regret letting his savior in Miami walk.

More-Than-Most
07-22-2016, 09:40 PM
It is a business... No player deserves a top contract when they are on the decline for what they did years before... I get he took pay cuts... If he was asked by cuban then by all means I would understand but if he wasnt and he did it because he wanted help he deserves nothing... The same with wade.... Players and managers use its a business whenever they feel it is needed and then complain when a player or organization acts just like its a business at other times.

McAllen Tx
07-22-2016, 10:50 PM
Been saying this for months, Dirk/Duncan/Wade all deserve the Kobe treatment. They all deserve a final 2 year $50 million thank you contract. Much respect for Cuban.

Black eye for Riley.

Duncan deserves the Clemens treatment, let him only play home games. Guarantee not 1 person/player from the Spurs organization would complain. To bad he retired.

Great for Dirk. Glad he got his money.

Jewelz0376
07-22-2016, 11:50 PM
No way this is stupidity. Dirk has done so much for that franchise he's earned it and then some.

Cuban realizes this as he said. Players take notice of organizations doing things like this.

hugepatsfan
07-23-2016, 09:18 AM
It is a business... No player deserves a top contract when they are on the decline for what they did years before... I get he took pay cuts... If he was asked by cuban then by all means I would understand but if he wasnt and he did it because he wanted help he deserves nothing... The same with wade.... Players and managers use its a business whenever they feel it is needed and then complain when a player or organization acts just like its a business at other times.

The Mavs didn't let it hurt them. They used bird rights. They accounted for him on their cap at his cap hold and then went over to give him twice as much money as the cap hold. In terms of them building their team he counted as like $13M. The money beyond that was just a matter of if they wanted to reward him or not, which they smartly did.

Wade was a different situation because his cap hold was $30M so anything they paid him needed to come out of cap space and hurt their team building.

JordansBulls
07-23-2016, 11:18 AM
I would have tried to get Dirk and Wade together

YAALREADYKNO
07-24-2016, 06:06 PM
I would have tried to get Dirk and Wade together

That would've been nice

AllBall
07-24-2016, 06:10 PM
The Celtics didn't give Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen a golden parachute (and treated them poorly on their way out I might add) and yet they seem to be doing just fine. Pay players enough where you don't cripple yourself is the correct model.

ciaban
07-24-2016, 07:57 PM
IDK I have no problem with a team bumping a long time players salary up espically if they have the space and it was going to go to waste, in particular a player like Dirk who has taken so many pay cuts, I wouldn't have had a problem with Duncan coming back for the paycheck even if he is abysmal after he's done so much for the franchise.

Scoots
07-24-2016, 09:36 PM
Been saying this for months, Dirk/Duncan/Wade all deserve the Kobe treatment. They all deserve a final 2 year $50 million thank you contract. Much respect for Cuban.

Black eye for Riley.

Duncan deserves the Clemens treatment, let him only play home games. Guarantee not 1 person/player from the Spurs organization would complain. To bad he retired.

Great for Dirk. Glad he got his money.

Nobody deserves the Kobe treatment. It's a disservice to the fans and the other players on the team. Players either need to know when to retire or do it on another team who is stupid enough to pony up the money. In Dallas it's not the Kobe treatment because Dirk is still helping and they waited until they were done making moves to give him the money.

McAllen Tx
07-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Nobody deserves the Kobe treatment. It's a disservice to the fans and the other players on the team. Players either need to know when to retire or do it on another team who is stupid enough to pony up the money. In Dallas it's not the Kobe treatment because Dirk is still helping and they waited until they were done making moves to give him the money.

Well that's your opinion and I have mine.

I really doubt Dirk took a paycut last year so Cuban can give the money to Wesley freaken Mathews. What realistic moves can the Mavs make? The smart move would've been to thank Dirk starting last year and tank like crazy last year and this year. You talk about a disservice to the fans, for still trying to win around Dirk at this stage in his career the Mavs are gonna be a mess when he leaves. They gonna be a low mid tier team for years until they completely start over and then take another 5-6 years to be relivent again which they could've done in Dirks final years.

People can hate on the Lakers/Kobe all they want but it worked out great for both of them. Kobe got his money and the Lakers ended up with Russell & Ingram/Zubac to begin a new era after Kobe. And we're just 6 years away from winning back to back championships.

As a Lakers fan I'm pleased to begin a new era after Kobe with Russell & Ingram. I wonder if Mavs fans are gonna feel the same way about Mathews & Barnes.

jerellh528
07-25-2016, 01:16 PM

Kobe was still a top 5 player last time he was on the court before his extension. The Achilles injury ruined him, but that season before he signed he was still arguably a top 5 player.

Tony_Starks
07-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Loyalty.

Loyalty that is doable with the spike in the cap.

Props to Cuban.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2016, 01:39 PM
The move didn't hurt the Mavs. While Cuban has his faults (like seriously dude, put on something other than a t-shirt, and sit in an owners box and stfu already), he seems to be a great owner to play for. Goes above and beyond for his players and staff.

Tony_Starks
07-25-2016, 03:41 PM
I do find it pretty hilarious that the same Cuban that famously asked "are the Lakers gonna amnesty Kobe?" just gave Dirk 2 years $50 milli on his last leg.

He didn't do it as fool heartedly as Jimmy did but he's still a hypocrite.