PDA

View Full Version : IF Westbrook and the Thunder were to Upset the Warriors....

Tony_Starks
07-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Obviously we're deep in the land of make believe but just imagine for a moment there's a rematch this year of OKC v GS and Westbrook just goes completely berserk. Iverson berserk, dropping 50's. So much so that all his teammates feed off his energy and they are able to upset the "invincible"...

How crazy would that storyline be? How bad would that be for KD?

mightybosstone
07-22-2016, 11:26 AM
I still think this OKC team is going to be pretty good, but not "beat the Warriors in a seven-game series" good. It would take a significant injury to one or two of the Warriors' four stars or a major midseason acquisition by the Thunder to make this a reality. At this point, I'd give only the Spurs and maybe the Clippers a chance of knocking off a healthy Warriors team before it reaches the Finals.

Edit: But to answer OP's questions, I'll admit that would be pretty remarkable. It would be one of those historic things where people say 30 years from now, "Durant was a great player, but I remember when he left the Thunder to play for the team who beat him in the WCF the year before only to lose to the Thunder the next season." It wouldn't necessarily be a legacy killer or anything, but it would certainly be a pretty big black mark on a great career. And as for Westy, that would be a huge boost to his legacy, especially if they somehow won a title.

HOLD_THIS_L
07-22-2016, 11:27 AM
It would be insane! Very unlikely though. People would talk how he's the goat pg.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Tony_Starks
07-22-2016, 11:31 AM
I still think this OKC team is going to be pretty good, but not "beat the Warriors in a seven-game series" good. It would take a significant injury to one or two of the Warriors' four stars or a major midseason acquisition by the Thunder to make this a reality. At this point, I'd give only the Spurs and maybe the Clippers a chance of knocking off a healthy Warriors team before it reaches the Finals.

Edit: But to answer OP's questions, I'll admit that would be pretty remarkable. It would be one of those historic things where people say 30 years from now, "Durant was a great player, but I remember when he left the Thunder to play for the team who beat him in the WCF the year before only to lose to the Thunder the next season." It wouldn't necessarily be a legacy killer or anything, but it would certainly be a pretty big black mark on a great career. And as for Westy, that would be a huge boost to his legacy, especially if they somehow won a title.

Although it's unlikely if the Clippers have a legit shot at it then OKC absolutely has a shot. I'd venture to say better than the Clippers.

mightybosstone
07-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Although it's unlikely if the Clippers have a legit shot at it then OKC absolutely has a shot. I'd venture to say better than the Clippers.

I definitely wouldn't say that. The last time OKC played without Durant the bulk of the season and the Clippers were (relatively) healthy for a season was 2014-15. The Clippers finished with 56 wins and came one atrocious collapse away from making the WCF. OKC didn't even make the playoffs and ended up with 45 wins.

Now I do think this Thunder team with Oladipo and Donavan at the helm will be a little better, maybe a 50-win team. But even in a down year last year with Griffin missing a huge chunk of time, the Clippers still won 53 games. I just don't see it happening barring a major injury to Paul or Blake.

Chronz
07-22-2016, 11:50 AM

Oh you're venturing alright, way deeper than your make believe. Not a single credible gambling system nor a single quant system would agree with such a projection. Its almost like you don't understand the sport. If Westy goes AI they are out in r1 if they make the playoffs at all. At least mention someone dominant.

Tony_Starks
07-22-2016, 11:53 AM
I definitely wouldn't say that. The last time OKC played without Durant the bulk of the season and the Clippers were (relatively) healthy for a season was 2014-15. The Clippers finished with 56 wins and came one atrocious collapse away from making the WCF. OKC didn't even make the playoffs and ended up with 45 wins.

Now I do think this Thunder team with Oladipo and Donavan at the helm will be a little better, maybe a 50-win team. But even in a down year last year with Griffin missing a huge chunk of time, the Clippers still won 53 games. I just don't see it happening barring a major injury to Paul or Blake.

You can't really use last time as a barometer because KD and Westbrook were both in a out of the lineup all year.

This is different. It's strictly Westbrooks team, full green light every night.

Plus they've added a few nice pieces. I think they will surprise some people.
I personally would LOVE it if they ended up squaring off with GS.

Tony_Starks
07-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Oh you're venturing alright, way deeper than your make believe. Not a single credible gambling system nor a single quant system would agree with such a projection. Its almost like you don't understand the sport. If Westy goes AI they are out in r1 if they make the playoffs at all. At least mention someone dominant.

If leading the league in scoring multiple times, winning MVP, and dropping 50 point performances in the playoffs despite a offensively anemic roster ISN'T considered dominant then you're right, I truly don't understand.

Russ is going to be the leading MVP candidate this year, add that into your equation.

mightybosstone
07-22-2016, 12:04 PM
If leading the league in scoring multiple times, winning MVP, and dropping 50 point performances in the playoffs despite a offensively anemic roster ISN'T considered dominant then you're right, I truly don't understand.

Russ is going to be the leading MVP candidate this year, add that into your equation.

Putting up dominant individual performances night in and night out doesn't necessarily lead to wins. Look at what he's done in his career without Durant on the roster. The guy can be unbelievable at times, but his ridiculous, out-of-this-world USG% can be kind of damning to team success. And he may very well be the top MVP candidate for next season, but it's still more than likely going to lead to a 6-8 seed and a first round exit.

You also have to consider that this Thunder team is going to look and play very different than last season. Subtracting Ibaka and Durant and adding Oladipo and Ilyasova is going to really change the makeup of that squad, and they might have some serious growing pains to overcome before they develop any consistency.

Bottom line, I'd definitely put my money on the perennial top 4 seed in the West that has played together for years with two future Hall of Famers over a team with lesser talent that just had a major shift in its starting 5.

TheDish87
07-22-2016, 02:03 PM

i wouldnt go that far. OKC has the potential to make the WCF, while clearly not a favorite to do so it wouldnt shock me to see it. Russ is that good and hes now playing with a chip on his shoulder. They prob need to make a deadline deal to have a real chance but its not something im just gonna write off and see first round exit.

Chronz
07-22-2016, 04:29 PM
i wouldnt go that far. OKC has the potential to make the WCF, while clearly not a favorite to do so it wouldnt shock me to see it. Russ is that good and hes now playing with a chip on his shoulder. They prob need to make a deadline deal to have a real chance but its not something im just gonna write off and see first round exit.
Hes good but not THAT good
If Russ were that good why did he lose so often without KD?

Chronz
07-22-2016, 04:31 PM

F no that's not domination unless you have relatively low standards.
Lmfao it's not my equation and they did already factor it in. Like seriously do you never gamble?

Chronz
07-22-2016, 04:34 PM
You can't really use last time as a barometer because KD and Westbrook were both in a out of the lineup all year.

This is different. It's strictly Westbrooks team, full green light every night.

Plus they've added a few nice pieces. I think they will surprise some people.
I personally would LOVE it if they ended up squaring off with GS.
If you think that's a legit excuse then you're only showcasing how much of a loser RWB is in this comparison. The additions they made is a legit argument but i highly doubt they improve the team more than having Blake for a full year.

b@llhog24
07-22-2016, 06:34 PM
Depends on where they meet them. If it's in the first round, I don't think people will care that much a couple years down the road.

b@llhog24
07-22-2016, 06:35 PM

You could call "going AI" carrying a bunch of scrubs to the finals.

TheDish87
07-22-2016, 07:03 PM
Hes good but not THAT good
If Russ were that good why did he lose so often without KD?

small sample size. Russ is just hitting his peak as a player and the team around him this year is better than the one from 2 years ago when KD went down

YAALREADYKNO
07-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Then KD would probably jump back to OKC and leave GS hanging

More-Than-Most
07-22-2016, 07:54 PM
If I am the thunder I am treating thunder/warriors like its the finals... Meaning that is what I am training for all year and game planning for... They have no shot at a title but anything can happen in 1 playoff series if Westy gets hot... I doubt they could even win 2 games from the warriors though