PDA

View Full Version : Over/Under: Clay Buchholz last day with the Red Sox

RedSoxtober
07-21-2016, 04:21 PM
The Sox BP is in tatters and they needed a **** ton of innings yesterday when Pomeranz couldn't get an out in the fourth inning. After Ross stanched the bleeding the Sox had a three run lead heading into the top of the fifth inning. Perfect situation for a long man who hasn't pitched in almost three weeks.

But Buchholz didn't get out of the BP.

They can say all the want about getting Clay right, still being a potential depth SP, blah, blah, blah, but at the end of the day the manager clearly has no faith in him. No sighting against the Rangers when the Sox were up 5 (okay, it'd be a day early from a 5 day cycle). 3 or 4 run lead over the anemic Rays offense? Nope.

When does Clay officially lose his place on the Red Sox roster?

RedSoxtober
07-21-2016, 04:23 PM
My over/under date is 8/1. It's the trade deadline this year (a day later than usual). The only reason to keep him for now is to hope someone gets desperate. Maybe flip him for a retiring RP arm or something. If not then, DFA and make another guy post-season eligible.

Green_Monster
07-21-2016, 05:41 PM
I think you're correct with 8/1.

The Allen
07-21-2016, 07:19 PM
The end of the season. He will be with us all year, if we haven't DFA him yet I doubt we will.

bagwell368
07-21-2016, 09:13 PM
8/7

Sox can't find deal, DFA him at deadline...

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-21-2016, 10:03 PM
The final day of elimination, whether that's October 1st, or by the end of October. I doubt anyone will go bargain diving for him, so unless they really feel the need of DFA'ing him I'd say he's here for the season.

Green_Monster
07-21-2016, 10:20 PM
Whose roster spot is lost at his expense?

When everyone in the bullpen is healthy we have Kimbrel, Ziegler, Uehara, Tazawa, Barnes, Hembree, Ross, and Layne. That's eight guys without including Buchholz. Of course everyone probably won't be healthy at the same time, but Tazawa is about to be back. Once Kimbrel or Koji is ready to come back, are we really keeping Buchholz over Hembree/Layne?

RedSoxtober
07-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Apparently everyone's asking the question now...

And now with the Junichi Tazawa scheduled to return Friday, Joe Kelly knocking on the door to be a legitimate late-inning relief option, and the non-waiver trade deadline just 10 days away, itís not a stretch to think Buchholzís future will be with another club, starting in the not-too-distant future.

ďIf this is the way the team is going to be as far as the rotation part of it Ö I feel like the guys theyíre rolling out there, I donít have a spot. Iím the odd man out,Ē Buchholz said when asked if he thought we was going to be traded. ďIím not sure. I donít know. Not having pitched in a while I felt like something has be going on. Iím just trying to stay as sharp as I can and thatís why Iíve been throwing on the side. I have to stay somewhat stretched out.

ďSomething has to go in some direction. I know we have Taz coming back, and Koji [Uehara] and Craig [Kimbrel] when they come back, and then it becomes a numbers game.Ēweei.com

soxer04
07-23-2016, 10:20 PM
Whose roster spot is lost at his expense?

When everyone in the bullpen is healthy we have Kimbrel, Ziegler, Uehara, Tazawa, Barnes, Hembree, Ross, and Layne. That's eight guys without including Buchholz. Of course everyone probably won't be healthy at the same time, but Tazawa is about to be back. Once Kimbrel or Koji is ready to come back, are we really keeping Buchholz over Hembree/Layne?

Sure- why not? They aren't that good.

Green_Monster
07-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Sure- why not? They aren't that good.

They're cheaper over the next several years. This isn't too big of a factor though considering Buchholz will be gone either way next year.

Oh, and they're better. Hembree has been good this year. As far as Layne "not being that good", that's still a lot better than Buchholz.