PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: NBA Pulls 2017 All-Star Weekend From Charlotte; Focuses on New Orleans

GunFactor187
07-21-2016, 03:26 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical
Jul 21, 2016, 3:01 PM

Without any movement by state legislators in North Carolina to change newly enacted laws targeted at the LGBT community, the NBA is pulling the 2017 All-Star Game out of Charlotte, league sources told The Vertical.

The NBA is focused on the New Orleans’ Smoothie King Center as the host for All-Star Weekend and the All-Star Game on Feb. 19, league sources told The Vertical.

For now, there are still other cities trying to lure the All-Star Game, sources said.

A formal announcement on the NBA’s withdrawal out of Charlotte is expected as soon as this week, league sources said Thursday.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver had threatened to move All-Star Weekend out of Charlotte unless a discriminatory North Carolina law aimed at the state’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community was changed – and time to do so has run out because of the logistics and planning the NBA needs to run its marquee midseason event, league sources said.

The issue is centered on North Carolina’s House Bill 2, a law that mandates transgender people use public restrooms corresponding to the sex listed on their birth certificates. The law also omits LGBT people from North Carolina’s anti-discrimination protections, forbids local governments from widening LGBT protections and excludes all forms of workplace discrimination lawsuits from North Carolina state courts.

Charlotte Hornets owner Michael Jordan had been counting on All-Star Weekend as a signature event for his franchise, and the economic impact of losing the All-Star Game for the franchise and region promises to be dramatic.

The NBA had discussed moving the All-Star Game to the new T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, sources said, but scheduling conflicts at the facility became part of the reason the idea never advanced past high-level league conversations during the Las Vegas summer league this month, sources said.

New Orleans hosted the All-Star Game in 2008 and 2014.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-pulls-2017-all-star-game-from-charlotte-focuses-on-new-orleans-190148437.html

goingfor28
07-21-2016, 03:28 PM
So stupid

hugepatsfan
07-21-2016, 03:34 PM
People protest the legislature but really they should be protesting the people who make it even relevant. The gov't shouldn't have to outlaw discrimination because no one should be that terrible a person. And if they are, consumers should recognize how bad they are as people and boycott them to where they can't do business without losing money. Legislation should never even be necessary.

Kind of a tangent but sorry, that's just the thoughts I have when thinking of this topic.

Tony_Starks
07-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Jason Collins approves.

Vee-Rex
07-21-2016, 03:43 PM
Wish they would bring it to The Land. Would be the 20-year anniversary.

5ass
07-21-2016, 04:30 PM
They should do it in Orlando to commemorate the people massacred at the club.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Petty.

lavell12
07-21-2016, 04:52 PM
How about all the sanctuary cities that ignore federal immigration laws which has caused the deaths of Americans. Nobody is going to die from this law (whether you like it or not).

warfelg
07-21-2016, 05:00 PM
I get pulling it from Carolina...but New Orleans where there's so much problems with police in the surrounding area?

beasted86
07-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Punish a city for a statewide law? Makes sense.

shep33
07-21-2016, 05:13 PM
I know people don't like it, but I do. I just think that law is so bogus, and the NBA pressured them into doing something about it to keep it there. People should read this.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-north-carolina-bathrooms-20160601-snap-story.html

Stunner
07-21-2016, 05:48 PM
Chicago / NO / NY BK are in the running . I hope Chicago gets it

IndyRealist
07-21-2016, 05:52 PM
Chicago / NO / NY BK are in the running . I hope Chicago gets it

+1. The Midwest gets ignored as sleepy and boring FAR too much. New Orleans has had the all-star game twice in a relatively short span.

Stunner
07-21-2016, 05:53 PM
+1. The Midwest gets ignored as sleepy and boring FAR too much. New Orleans has had the all-star game twice in a relatively short span.

Yup and NY just had it in 2015

Big Zo
07-21-2016, 05:54 PM
Wish they would bring it to The Land. Would be the 20-year anniversary.

That's like punishing the players for becoming all-stars.

warfelg
07-21-2016, 05:59 PM

Personally I think it would be really cool to take it to a city that doesn't have an NBA team but is a major market.

Short list:
Seattle
Philadelphia

Ba-dum-tisss

SoulBrotha
07-21-2016, 06:22 PM
hahaaa jordan ya cheap bastard

HOLD_THIS_L
07-21-2016, 06:26 PM
You can only be mad at religion, not man. We've been taught at a young age same sex is a sin in you'll go to hell.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Vee-Rex
07-21-2016, 06:31 PM
That's like punishing the players for becoming all-stars.

Which is great for your guys - no Heat players will be in it.

ManRam
07-21-2016, 06:32 PM
McCrory called the NBA, which is basically just a cabal of billionaires and their millionaire play toys, a "left-wing special interest group". :laugh:

I wouldn't have cared one bit if the NBA didn't move it, and I don't care that they did. It's a **** law (that's way more than just bathrooms...which itself is an invented problem, something the GOP excels at) but they don't have the obligation to do anything. I respect that they did, but whatever.

chi-townlove1
07-21-2016, 06:35 PM
Lol what a joke. Agree with the law 100% and glad they stood pat. **** the NBA. it's a joke anyways.

More-Than-Most
07-21-2016, 07:18 PM
This is so dumb... I think its a slap in the face to most of the fans.... So if you are a fan and was against the issue you are basically screwed because of the state you live in? GOOD JOB NBA.

Sly Guy
07-21-2016, 07:36 PM

that'd be a pretty good gesture

IndyRealist
07-21-2016, 07:52 PM
This is so dumb... I think its a slap in the face to most of the fans.... So if you are a fan and was against the issue you are basically screwed because of the state you live in? GOOD JOB NBA.

I would think fans that are passionate about the issue would be disappointed but also understanding that businesses are trying to get the law changed. :shrug:

Jimm
07-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Nba is trying to push a political agenda, bold move and probably the wrong one. Really sets a tough precedent for future all star games.

IndyRealist
07-21-2016, 08:00 PM
You can only be mad at religion, not man. We've been taught at a young age same sex is a sin in you'll go to hell.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Not to get into a religious argument, but as a thinking, sentient human, you can decide something you were taught as a child is incorrect. Maybe not at the time, it wasn't incorrect, but now it simply doesn't fit with how a civilized, industrialized society behaves. You are not a machine, and once programmed can only behave one way. Imposing religious laws on the rest of the populace makes us ISIS.

basketballkitty
07-21-2016, 08:11 PM

That makes sense...NOT! Award it to the City and arena owned by the most RACIST and Anti-LGBT family...Devos that there is. I mean Rich DeVos was quoted MANY times as LGBT's should be outright killed. They have given Million and millions to organizations to stop *** marriage, and stoping G@ys from basic human rights.

Yeah...lets give them the game.

McAllen Tx
07-21-2016, 08:21 PM
I think the NBA should stay out of it. They just opened up a Pandora box. Now anytime anything happens the world is gonna expect the NBA to take a stance.

I miss the old NBA

Dade County
07-21-2016, 09:11 PM
Why not in Miami?

Are the owners afraid of all their All stars near Pat lol

But for real, why not Miami, Vegas or L.A.

Raidaz4Life
07-21-2016, 09:14 PM
Such a joke that the NBA is petty enough to think they should be making decisions like this. I'm sure you could find something corrupt or wrong about EVERY city or state. Instead they are picking and choosing to dictate the game around politics.

beasted86
07-21-2016, 09:17 PM
That makes sense...NOT! Award it to the City and arena owned by the most RACIST and Anti-LGBT family...Devos that there is. I mean Rich DeVos was quoted MANY times as LGBT's should be outright killed. They have given Million and millions to organizations to stop *** marriage, and stoping G@ys from basic human rights.

Can you please post this imaginary quote?

From an owner that donated to the families of the massacre you seem way off base with reality. Because he doesn't believe in gay marriage is far different from belief that they should 'be outright killed'.

This new internet society is funny as people have extended hyperbole to outright slander and lies to make a point nowadays.

shep33
07-21-2016, 10:31 PM
Smart move by the NBA, both from a social standpoint and a financial one. Silver is the best commish out there.

Captain Moroni
07-21-2016, 11:24 PM
Further dividing a once great nation. Sad.

lakerfan85
07-21-2016, 11:35 PM
Yeah.. This is just stupid on the NBA's part..

Captain Moroni
07-21-2016, 11:36 PM
Yes it's all religions fault. Let's ignore the billions of dollars donated to the poor, the relief aid given to those in need, the instant volunteer army of religious nuts who show up to help every time a natural disaster hits. Let's forget about all the incredibly unselfish things local congregations do to help their communities, and concentrate on the fact that they believe homosexuality is a sin.
What standards are Aethiests ever held too? What ORGANIZED group of non believers ever does a dang thing to help their fellow man? Ever? it's so easy to wrap up God Fearing people as extremist pigs, but on the flip side give non believers a pass because they don't stand for anything. We are so messed up in this country.
And I disagree with the NC law. The NBA should have stayed out of this.

missionh1llpart
07-22-2016, 01:10 AM
Glad they pulled it. Literally any other city is more deserving.

FlashBolt
07-22-2016, 01:13 AM
NBA needs to remove itself from politics. This is pathetic. They are trying so hard to try and be the "good guy" that it is sickening.

mrblisterdundee
07-22-2016, 01:19 AM
I guess those Charlottans will have to stop discriminating against an entire group of people based on unfounded fears.

LivinLakers
07-22-2016, 01:39 AM
I know people don't like it, but I do. I just think that law is so bogus, and the NBA pressured them into doing something about it to keep it there. People should read this.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-north-carolina-bathrooms-20160601-snap-story.html
No doubt!!! I avoid going into restrooms in public places myself because I am a germophobe. No joke... I honestly get nervous every time I have to use a public restroom. I think there needs to be more consideration for all of us germophobes. But I do deal with it. It is life and someone I know I have to live with because I am not like the general populous. I use the restroom at home and I hold it until I get home. One good thing tho. I can go a whole day and only use the restroom once. I don't even get how those people that have to use the restrooms 8 to 10 times a day even get along. So at least there is that benefit.
At the end of the day..."get over it!!!" I am sick of all of these whiney people in society today. Toughen the freak up. There will come a time when life will become so much tougher than it is today and where will all these soft people be??? Dead, that's where.

SupremeNY.
07-22-2016, 01:45 AM
I love the NBA for this move.

LivinLakers
07-22-2016, 02:19 AM
I love the NBA for this move.
Very enlightening. Thank you for adding your two cents. I can rest easy now.

Saddletramp
07-22-2016, 02:40 AM
Very enlightening. Thank you for adding your two cents. I can rest easy now.

Says the guy who spewed this:

No doubt!!! I avoid going into restrooms in public places myself because I am a germophobe. No joke... I honestly get nervous every time I have to use a public restroom. I think there needs to be more consideration for all of us germophobes. But I do deal with it. It is life and someone I know I have to live with because I am not like the general populous. I use the restroom at home and I hold it until I get home. One good thing tho. I can go a whole day and only use the restroom once. I don't even get how those people that have to use the restrooms 8 to 10 times a day even get along. So at least there is that benefit.
At the end of the day..."get over it!!!" I am sick of all of these whiney people in society today. Toughen the freak up. There will come a time when life will become so much tougher than it is today and where will all these soft people be??? Dead, that's where.

LOL.

Seriously though, why is this thread still open? Put it in the political forum area. The mods around here, FFS.

BoSox47
07-22-2016, 09:17 AM
So the League thinks its morally unjust to hold the All-Star game because they wont let guys use the girls bathroom and girls use the guys as they please. However, they will play games in China where they oppress religious minorities, force abortions and sell human organs.

Adam Silver needs to get off his high horse and take his political agenda out of the NBA. He is becoming Goodell 2.0

Tony_Starks
07-22-2016, 09:38 AM
There's no morality involved here, don't get it twisted. Anti gay is bad for business, appearing to not care about a law that is declared anti gay is bad for business.

Silver is a smart guy, it's typical pandering to a group with the loudest voice.

ManRam
07-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Further dividing a once great nation. Sad.

Yeah, it's the push back against the rash of discriminatory laws that's dividing this country, and not the discriminatory laws themselves. That's it! :laugh:

PhillyFaninLA
07-22-2016, 10:08 AM
So stupid

he law also omits LGBT people from North Carolina’s anti-discrimination protections, forbids local governments from widening LGBT protections and excludes all forms of workplace discrimination lawsuits from North Carolina state courts.

So then are you in favor what I copied from the original post. Are you in favor of discrimination and discrimination lawsuits.

Or does this topic just make you uncomfortable so you refuse to have any sort of social conscience.

PhillyFaninLA
07-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Punish a city for a statewide law? Makes sense.

A billion dollar organization with a influence just said, we won't bring additional revenue to your state because of this law.

It makes a lot of sense. NBA is trying to do something right and bring even more attention to something that is just completely ridiculous.

ciaban
07-22-2016, 10:15 AM
I guess those Charlottans will have to stop discriminating against an entire group of people based on unfounded fears.

Or not support the local NBA team. The state could also remove any tax benefits they give to the team as well.

PhillyFaninLA
07-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Lol what a joke. Agree with the law 100% and glad they stood pat. **** the NBA. it's a joke anyways.

I really hope your joking

ciaban
07-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Nba is trying to push a political agenda, bold move and probably the wrong one. Really sets a tough precedent for future all star games.

In some regards it'll limit where they can play the games. Also, while the hornets are a good team they aren't considered a title favorite, but how ****ing amazing would it be if they wont the title and silver had to go up and hand out the trophies while being boo'ed like crazy, maybe even having things thrown at him.

akagiredsuns
07-22-2016, 10:52 AM
So the NBA, who is gender separate having NBA and WNBA pulls the All-Star game over discrimination. What hypocritical BS. Why not just move the Charlotte team completely out of North Carolina? The Hornets still have to play 41 home games a year there. To remove 1 All-Star game over this is laughable. The NBA has no business being in politics and should focus on the consumer. Whoever is bothered by this, feel free to boycott and stop buying tickets. What a joke. I thought Silver was better than Stern. I was wrong.

Jack the Ripper
07-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Folks in the political forum often say religion should have no place in politics. Where are those same people, some of them I've seen in this thread supporting the NBA's decision, to say that politics has no place in entertainment? Because it doesn't.

tucksoe
07-22-2016, 10:57 AM
Easy to spot the homophobic *******s in this thread

Tony_Starks
07-22-2016, 11:13 AM
...meanwhile the WNBA just fined it's players for wearing shirts supporting the black people that are being murdered by cops.
------------------------

According to Marc Berman of The New York Post, Anthony was shocked by the WNBA’s decision to fine its players for speaking out on social injustices.

“I don’t see no reason to fine them,’’ Anthony said before Thursday’s U.S. Olympic team practice at UNLV. “If anything you should want to support them. I don’t know details, but don’t see a reason to fine them.”

“A bunch of teams did it,” Anthony said. “Everyone has their own freedom of speech if they decide to use the platform. I don’t see no reason for anybody to get fined. We did it [3 ¹/₂ years ago after the Trayvon Martin shooting]. The NBA did it. The NBA was very supportive. I don’t see any difference in this matter. Right now the players have a very strong stance in what they believe in right now. I don’t think anyone should be fighting that at this moment.”

Jack the Ripper
07-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Easy to spot the homophobic *******s in this thread

Ah, okay. No matter what reason a person has for disagreeing with the law, it's really because he/she is a homophobe? Got it. I would contest that it's much easier to spot posters with an IQ less than the great Larry Bird's jersey number.

ManRam
07-22-2016, 11:59 AM
...meanwhile the WNBA just fined it's players for wearing shirts supporting the black people that are being murdered by cops.
------------------------

According to Marc Berman of The New York Post, Anthony was shocked by the WNBA’s decision to fine its players for speaking out on social injustices.

“I don’t see no reason to fine them,’’ Anthony said before Thursday’s U.S. Olympic team practice at UNLV. “If anything you should want to support them. I don’t know details, but don’t see a reason to fine them.”

“A bunch of teams did it,” Anthony said. “Everyone has their own freedom of speech if they decide to use the platform. I don’t see no reason for anybody to get fined. We did it [3 ¹/₂ years ago after the Trayvon Martin shooting]. The NBA did it. The NBA was very supportive. I don’t see any difference in this matter. Right now the players have a very strong stance in what they believe in right now. I don’t think anyone should be fighting that at this moment.”

It's kinda saddening that none of the NBA players, especially those few who regularly champion the WNBA, have spoken up about this. Melo had to be probed...and I'm unaware of anyone else saying anything.

Tony_Starks
07-22-2016, 12:02 PM
It's kinda saddening that none of the NBA players, especially those few who regularly champion the WNBA, have spoken up about this. Melo had to be probed...and I'm unaware of anyone else saying anything.

Exactly, that was totally uncalled for. These guys need to step up, props for Melo for at least speaking on it and not dodging the question.

TheIlladelph16
07-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Ah, okay. No matter what reason a person has for disagreeing with the law, it's really because he/she is a homophobe? Got it. I would contest that it's much easier to spot posters with an IQ less than the great Larry Bird's jersey number.

Perhaps not a homophobe, but certainly you can identify those who flat out support discrimination. It appears you are one of those people, but I could be wrong. This law is about much more than bathroom preferences, which PhillyFanInLA has thankfully pointed out in this thread.

warfelg
07-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Also not like they suddenly sprung this move on the city and state. They said long ago that moving from this city and state was an option.

This is a league the publicly ousted a owner for racial slurs and has punished players for anti-gay statements. This shouldn't be a shock.

The law is **** anyways. Individual bathrooms and label them "family rooms".

IndyRealist
07-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Yes it's all religions fault. Let's ignore the billions of dollars donated to the poor, the relief aid given to those in need, the instant volunteer army of religious nuts who show up to help every time a natural disaster hits. Let's forget about all the incredibly unselfish things local congregations do to help their communities, and concentrate on the fact that they believe homosexuality is a sin.
What standards are Aethiests ever held too? What ORGANIZED group of non believers ever does a dang thing to help their fellow man? Ever? it's so easy to wrap up God Fearing people as extremist pigs, but on the flip side give non believers a pass because they don't stand for anything. We are so messed up in this country.
You mean like, scientists?

I get that painting religion with an extremely broad brush is just stereotyping, but so is doing to same to atheists.

IndyRealist
07-22-2016, 02:09 PM
So the League thinks its morally unjust to hold the All-Star game because they wont let guys use the girls bathroom and girls use the guys as they please. However, they will play games in China where they oppress religious minorities, force abortions and sell human organs.

Adam Silver needs to get off his high horse and take his political agenda out of the NBA. He is becoming Goodell 2.0

You know where else that happens? The United States.

JWO35
07-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Also not like they suddenly sprung this move on the city and state. They said long ago that moving from this city and state was an option.

This is a league the publicly ousted a owner for racial slurs and has punished players for anti-gay statements. This shouldn't be a shock.

The law is **** anyways. Individual bathrooms and label them "family rooms".

This

No one should be surprised....this wasn't some overnight out of left field decision

ciaban
07-22-2016, 03:21 PM

I get that painting religion with an extremely broad brush is just stereotyping, but so is doing to same to atheists.

No, because scientists run the range of theists and atheists. Working in the science field doesn't preclude someone from being religious or vice versa.

JAZZNC
07-22-2016, 03:34 PM

Yeah, because everybody in Charlotte is pro HB2. Gotta be one of the least intelligent things I've read in this thread...and there is some pretty dumb **** posted here. Hypocrite much???

Tony_Starks
07-22-2016, 03:44 PM
Hornets co-owner Felix Sabates sent an email to the team's ownership grouping after the NBA's announcement blasting the league and the Charlotte City Council.

"Shame on those responsible for such a short sighted decision to take the NBA All Star away from Charlotte I always thought this was country that ALL peoples not just a few can determine our future," he wrote in the email that was obtained by the Charlotte Observer.

Sabates' criticism comes after the Hornets and chairman Michael Jordan issued a statement on Thursday saying "we understand the NBA's decision" and are "pleased that the NBA opened the door for Charlotte to host All-Star Weekend again as soon as an opportunity was available in 2019." The NBA also weighed in defending the team and the city:

"It is also important to stress that the City of Charlotte and the Hornets organization have sought to provide an inclusive environment and that the Hornets will continue to ensure that all patrons -- including members of the LGBT community -- feel welcome while attending games and events in their arena," the league said.

HB2 reversed a Charlotte ordinance that added gay and transgender people to the list of classes of people protected against discrimination in the city.

"Our Mayor opened a can of worms, who knows why?" Sabates wrote. "One Our city council is the one to blame for our losing the NBA All Star game, none of this would have happened if not for a very few minority forcing our supposed city leaders into creating a problem that never really existed, there will always be another election, they better pray a very few can get them re-elected.

"What is wrong with a person using a bathroom provided for the sex the (sic) were born with, if you want to change your gender so be it, we are a free county, but don't force 8 years old children to be exposed to having to share bathroom facilities with people that don't share the organs they were Bourne (sic) with, this is plain wrong, this could cause irreparable damages to a children's that don't understand why they have to see what God did not mean for them to witness, we have some very confused business as well as political humans that frankly have made this a political issue rather then (sic) moral issues, SHAME ON THEM."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17126387/one-charlotte-hornets-owners-blasts-nba-city-losing-all-star-game

Vinylman
07-22-2016, 04:10 PM

Exactly

Even funnier is the idea of NO... A state where sodomy is still against the law. I am sure LGBTQ community isn't against that law.

The NBA where selective outrage is the norm

Switch
07-22-2016, 04:14 PM
**** Silver and **** the NBA for this. Basketball is entertainment, I don't need their political views.

Saddletramp
07-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Hornets co-owner Felix Sabates sent an email to the team's ownership grouping after the NBA's announcement blasting the league and the Charlotte City Council.

"Shame on those responsible for such a short sighted decision to take the NBA All Star away from Charlotte I always thought this was country that ALL peoples not just a few can determine our future," he wrote in the email that was obtained by the Charlotte Observer.

Sabates' criticism comes after the Hornets and chairman Michael Jordan issued a statement on Thursday saying "we understand the NBA's decision" and are "pleased that the NBA opened the door for Charlotte to host All-Star Weekend again as soon as an opportunity was available in 2019." The NBA also weighed in defending the team and the city:

"It is also important to stress that the City of Charlotte and the Hornets organization have sought to provide an inclusive environment and that the Hornets will continue to ensure that all patrons -- including members of the LGBT community -- feel welcome while attending games and events in their arena," the league said.

HB2 reversed a Charlotte ordinance that added gay and transgender people to the list of classes of people protected against discrimination in the city.

"Our Mayor opened a can of worms, who knows why?" Sabates wrote. "One Our city council is the one to blame for our losing the NBA All Star game, none of this would have happened if not for a very few minority forcing our supposed city leaders into creating a problem that never really existed, there will always be another election, they better pray a very few can get them re-elected.

"What is wrong with a person using a bathroom provided for the sex the (sic) were born with, if you want to change your gender so be it, we are a free county, but don't force 8 years old children to be exposed to having to share bathroom facilities with people that don't share the organs they were Bourne (sic) with, this is plain wrong, this could cause irreparable damages to a children's that don't understand why they have to see what God did not mean for them to witness, we have some very confused business as well as political humans that frankly have made this a political issue rather then (sic) moral issues, SHAME ON THEM."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17126387/one-charlotte-hornets-owners-blasts-nba-city-losing-all-star-game

There we go, saying it's just a bathroom issue. And maybe this guy needs to have someone check his emails before they're sent out to fix any spelling errors or bigoted thoughts.

TheIlladelph16
07-22-2016, 04:29 PM
**** Silver and **** the NBA for this. Basketball is entertainment, I don't need their political views.

You do understand that no one is forcing you to agree with them, right? I personally find the law abhorrent and anyone who supports to be outright supporting discrimination against a group that already faces pretty serious discrimination. If you want to disagree with my position and the NBA's position, no one is stopping you from doing so.

They also aren't even canceling the game, so no need to whine about how this is entertainment. You'll still get your entertainment. It will simply be at a different venue.

The NBA is a business that has a ***** ton of advertisers, investors, sponsors and the like that it needs to appease, and many of them would pull away from that because of issues like this. So it's not like they can entirely ignore the issue.

The20thK
07-22-2016, 04:32 PM
The most disturbing thing about this thread is the amount of people who believe that organizations such the right or responsibility to bring about change in a society.

You are blinded to the mental manipulation that is put in front of you on a day to day basis. They have shaped your way of thinking, they have shaped who you are... And they did it without you ever even knowing it.

Shame on you.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-22-2016, 04:34 PM
I don't know why anyone is surprised by this. Donald Sterling had his team taken away and he was banned from basketball for saying things racially discriminative. It's the same thing for the gay community. Discrimination is discrimination. If you are black, Latino, Asian, or any other minority group that wants fair treatment across the board just like any other person, you should have no problem with gays wanting the same thing.

Also, I see the All-Star Game the same way I see a driver's license. They are a privilege, not a right. Charlotte does not deserve anything. Nor does any other city. If the NBA decides to take its business there, that's their decision. It's also their decision to make if extenuating circumstances cause them to change that decision. If they had the power, I'm sure they would try to persuade Jordan and his Partners to sell the team or relocate.

IndyRealist
07-22-2016, 04:46 PM
No, because scientists run the range of theists and atheists. Working in the science field doesn't preclude someone from being religious or vice versa.

And religious groups run the spectrum of devoutly religious to those only paying lip service because they like being part of the community, to those who are superficially religious and will quote gospel to you then go cheat on their husbands and wives. But a significant portion of religious groups ARE truly religious, just like a significant portion of scientists are atheists. Are we getting into semantics now?

ewing
07-22-2016, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't care if i was a tranny

Captain Moroni
07-23-2016, 06:26 AM

Since when did scientists become 100% Athiest? I know several very religious men who are scientists. Why are you painting scientists with a very broad brush?

IndyRealist
07-23-2016, 06:53 AM
Since when did scientists become 100% Athiest? I know several very religious men who are scientists. Why are you painting scientists with a very broad brush?
Already replied to that.

And religious groups run the spectrum of devoutly religious to those only paying lip service because they like being part of the community, to those who are superficially religious and will quote gospel to you then go cheat on their husbands and wives. But a significant portion of religious groups ARE truly religious, just like a significant portion of scientists are atheists. Are we getting into semantics now?

goingfor28
07-23-2016, 09:27 AM
he law also omits LGBT people from North Carolina’s anti-discrimination protections, forbids local governments from widening LGBT protections and excludes all forms of workplace discrimination lawsuits from North Carolina state courts.

So then are you in favor what I copied from the original post. Are you in favor of discrimination and discrimination lawsuits.

Or does this topic just make you uncomfortable so you refuse to have any sort of social conscience.

It's called I don't give a ****. Use the proper bathroom. Why should they get extra special protection? They shouldn't, nor should straight people. Pussification at its finest.

ciaban
07-23-2016, 12:05 PM

Absolutely, you can't just blanket all science as good, were the scientists who invented agent orange helping humanity? Or the Nazi scientists (some of whom were religious people) who's recherche was instrumental in developing the space program and improving modern medicine were performing their work out of a need to help their fellow man.
Ultimately, you can't praise scientists for their work as being humanitarian or charitable, since everyone of them is doing it for a paycheck, and in some cases a very large paycheck. That's fine to expect to get paid for your work, but it isn't humanitarianism, or charity.
On top of that I have a problem with you just lumping the works of all scientists and mathematicians with atheists despite the fact that they're not all atheists, and science as pointed out by notable atheist scientists is not a religious or irreligious endeavor. When scientists found a vaccine for polio in the 50's they weren't doing it for the sake of atheism, some of the scientists working on that project may have been atheists or theists, but that's not why they were looking for a vaccine for polio.

ciaban
07-23-2016, 12:31 PM
You know where else that happens? The United States.
"He says smugly from behind his desk."
America's had it's problems with abortion over the years, but forcing it on people hasn't been one of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmW0uecgFps
And I don't recall a time when the U.S. government physically removed organs without antiseptic from still living people and sold their organs for profit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIxE5kZXjsY
They're finally facing a lot of international pressure over this.

Not to mention the fact that they're actively bulldozing christian churches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjSwJBnHoYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPFjoKgMVPc

Though that's nothing compared to how they're treating Uyghur (pronounced Wiggers) or the full on genocide of the falun gong religion since the 90's, not the 1890's the 1990's.
You might ask, how could they do this, well, this is an atheist state, not secular where the government has no opinion on religion like Sweden, but one who's LEGAL stance on religion is atheism, and to join the communist party you have to be an atheist.

I want to make something clear, I don't actively have a problem with atheists or atheism, my problem is your actively painting science as this atheist endeavor which it never has been.

IndyRealist
07-23-2016, 05:29 PM
Absolutely, you can't just blanket all science as good, were the scientists who invented agent orange helping humanity? Or the Nazi scientists (some of whom were religious people) who's recherche was instrumental in developing the space program and improving modern medicine were performing their work out of a need to help their fellow man.
Ultimately, you can't praise scientists for their work as being humanitarian or charitable, since everyone of them is doing it for a paycheck, and in some cases a very large paycheck. That's fine to expect to get paid for your work, but it isn't humanitarianism, or charity.
On top of that I have a problem with you just lumping the works of all scientists and mathematicians with atheists despite the fact that they're not all atheists, and science as pointed out by notable atheist scientists is not a religious or irreligious endeavor. When scientists found a vaccine for polio in the 50's they weren't doing it for the sake of atheism, some of the scientists working on that project may have been atheists or theists, but that's not why they were looking for a vaccine for polio.

Crusades. Manifest Destiny. Altar boys. I mean, I was sticking to modern day iterations of religion and science, but if you want to open that can of worms historically religion loses hands down.

If you go back and re-read my posts I've never said anything negative about religion. All I've said is that scientists, as a group, are predominantly atheist and do plenty of good. Others have turned it into "Science can't be good, because religion is good" logical fallacy.

Jamiecballer
07-23-2016, 05:37 PM
I love Adam Silver. Nice to see some leadership being shown in both basketball and baseball these days.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

beasted86
07-24-2016, 12:02 PM
A billion dollar organization with a influence just said, we won't bring additional revenue to your state because of this law.

It makes a lot of sense. NBA is trying to do something right and bring even more attention to something that is just completely ridiculous.
NBA certainly does not care about right or wrong. They care about money and believe in the benefits of this publicity stunt to their bottom line.

I promise you the state isn't going to miss its budgetary requirements just because the NBA pulled one game (while leaving the remaining 41 minimum games, not counting preseason or playoffs). The city of Charlotte and the lease owners of the arena that now needs to fill the void of those 3 days are going to be more affected. So, yes, ultimately the NBA is mostly punishing a city.

macc
07-24-2016, 12:08 PM
I can't stand the 'but religion has done some good' argument. So has the Taliban. The Taliban had given to the poor, built homes, etc. Are you willing to say the Taliban is a force for good?

"Good people will do good things. Bad people will always do bad things. But if you want a good person to do a bad thing, give him religion." Christopher Hitchens

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

beasted86
07-24-2016, 01:16 PM
I can't stand the 'but religion has done some good' argument. So has the Taliban. The Taliban had given to the poor, built homes, etc. Are you willing to say the Taliban is a force for good?

"Good people will do good things. Bad people will always do bad things. But if you want a good person to do a bad thing, give him religion." Christopher Hitchens

How does one develop a moral compass? Is it innate? Is it a function of being nurtured during our social development? How did those who are nurturing develop their moral identity? Do we just go by the laws of society to gain a sense of values and morals?

I think there is a lot you don't understand about religion and life. Making a broad and ignorant generalization is one of the weak-points of every society existing today. Its how people develop these toxic attitudes and ideals that start most of the conflicts that affect us all.

macc
07-24-2016, 07:19 PM
How does one develop a moral compass? Is it innate? Is it a function of being nurtured during our social development? How did those who are nurturing develop their moral identity? Do we just go by the laws of society to gain a sense of values and morals?

I think there is a lot you don't understand about religion and life. Making a broad and ignorant generalization is one of the weak-points of every society existing today. Its how people develop these toxic attitudes and ideals that start most of the conflicts that affect us all.

Asking a bunch of conplex questions doesn't give religion validity.

Moral compass is 'subjective' to each individual. What we consider right and wrong changes all the time. Once upon it was right to own slaves once upon a time it was wrong for two gay people to get married.

There are no absolute rights and wrongs, simply subjective opinions. As far as where it came from. We have something in common. We want to survive. We figured out along time ago that we have a better chance at survival when we work together rather then apart. We continue to fine tune this so it matches our laws and current civilization.

Are you trying to imply stories of talking snakes and a genocidal God gives me a moral compass?

I'm sorry but in the bible God condones slavery. So I laugh when people try to use it for some moral authority.

But faith is a bad thing and religion depends on faith. Faith is belief without evidence. When you believe things without evidence then you can justify anything. Like flying planes intimate the world Trade Center.

Religion belongs in the bronze age.

beasted86
07-25-2016, 01:15 AM
Asking a bunch of conplex questions doesn't give religion validity.

Moral compass is 'subjective' to each individual. What we consider right and wrong changes all the time. Once upon it was right to own slaves once upon a time it was wrong for two gay people to get married.

There are no absolute rights and wrongs, simply subjective opinions. As far as where it came from. We have something in common. We want to survive. We figured out along time ago that we have a better chance at survival when we work together rather then apart. We continue to fine tune this so it matches our laws and current civilization.

Are you trying to imply stories of talking snakes and a genocidal God gives me a moral compass?

I'm sorry but in the bible God condones slavery. So I laugh when people try to use it for some moral authority.

But faith is a bad thing and religion depends on faith. Faith is belief without evidence. When you believe things without evidence then you can justify anything. Like flying planes intimate the world Trade Center.

Religion belongs in the bronze age.

What does a talking snake have to do with anything? You sound extremely ignorant of Christian faith in general. We're talking about morals and then you dive into an unrelated topic about a subject you obviously don't comprehend.

Basic instinct is to share limited resources? It's interesting how you came to that conclusion about survival. It basically goes against everything Darwin and Spencer theorized. Those are some really progressive ideas that could probably get you published someday.

macc
07-25-2016, 01:15 PM
What does a talking snake have to do with anything? You sound extremely ignorant of Christian faith in general. We're talking about morals and then you dive into an unrelated topic about a subject you obviously don't comprehend.

Basic instinct is to share limited resources? It's interesting how you came to that conclusion about survival. It basically goes against everything Darwin and Spencer theorized. Those are some really progressive ideas that could probably get you published someday.

When did I say share limited resources? I said work together. What I'm saying doesn't contradict Darwin at all. Darwin is about adapting to your environment. Wanting to survive runs parallel to that.

beasted86
07-25-2016, 05:39 PM
When did I say share limited resources? I said work together. What I'm saying doesn't contradict Darwin at all. Darwin is about adapting to your environment. Wanting to survive runs parallel to that.

Survival of the fittest and natural selection totally contradict the notion of helping others around us succeed, and share what are often limited resources, especially to the level of allowing so many weak traits to get passed through so many generations and to allow those inferior beings around us to mate at all.

Those with the power or strength are at their greatest advantage when they hoard all the resources and mates to themselves. This is basically how most species on this planet operates. It's non-stop competition in nature. It goes against survival instinct to "work together". Like I said, you should try and get published, because what you're suggesting doesn't really align with any prior theories on human development and social relations in regards to evolution. Very interesting ideas on how we supposedly idealized peacefulness as a society and 'gained morals' instinctively.