PDA

View Full Version : When if ever will the Clippers rebuild?

kobe4thewinbang
07-19-2016, 12:50 PM
They've had their share of controversy: The Sterling drama, Balmer taking over, nepotism concerns over Austin Rivers playing for his dad, coaching concerns with Doc, the DeAndre Jordan Mavericks affair, and most recently Blake Griffin's injury woes, causing people to question his maturity.

They have one of the best "big 3" in the league, arguably the best point guard in the league, a solid bench, nice 6th man in Crawford, but still can't find a quality SF and despite being near the top of the standings the past few seasons after the team was a joke for years, and offering an entertaining "lob city" play style, have failed to get far in the playoffs.

When is it time to reconstruct the roster? Chris Paul is aging, though still elite and clutch, Blake needs a good healthy season and DeAndre still can't quite contribute more on the floor. The Warriors look poised for dominance, and Durant refused to join the Clippers after a reportedly 4-hour meeting, but the salary cap has gone up so what should the Clippers do moving forward?

How long should they wait? I think they will be a strong team for 3-5 more seasons, but is that enough? Ticket sales will stay strong, but I reckon fans and players want to win or at least get further and gain a chance to win on the highest stage.

Should they make a move, with OKC losing Durant and the Spurs without Duncan and a not quite there duo of Kawhi & Aldridge? Is Rivers the right coach? And will they have enough salary for this current roster moving forward?

Or...does anybody think they might upset the Warriors/Spurs and maybe win it all?

FlashBolt
07-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Probably next season when both BG and CP3 are free agents. I'm guessing Clippers are betting on one more run with this crew.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2016, 01:00 PM
They can't. Spent too much stupid money on average players this offseason to keep the roster intact. They need to ride this another 2 seasons, then decide

Chronz
07-19-2016, 02:07 PM
Ride it out man, you build depending on what Blake and CP3 want to do. With OKC gone and the Spurs aging, the Clips are poised to take that number 2 mantle and thats a great place to be. You just gotta hope karma catches up to KD and they underachieve.

shep33
07-19-2016, 02:14 PM
I think them and the Spurs are teams that can give the Warriors serious trouble.

Gibby23
07-19-2016, 02:24 PM
I say just ride it out. They have talent, let them ride it out and play.

kdspurman
07-19-2016, 05:14 PM
Ride it out man, you build depending on what Blake and CP3 want to do. With OKC gone and the Spurs aging, the Clips are poised to take that number 2 mantle and thats a great place to be. You just gotta hope karma catches up to KD and they underachieve.

Don't know if we're exactly aging anymore, they've got a lot of youth on the team now that will get opportunities to get good amounts of playing time. That almost worries me more than when we had more vets, just cause of the uncertainty of how they will perform.

Re: the Clips, I agree just let them ride it out. If Paul/Griffin aren't hurt last year, who knows what could've happened. This off-season played out could be completely different imo

tp13baby
07-19-2016, 05:30 PM
Its a good roster but probably not good enough to compete with GS. Jordan, Blake and Paul need to take their games to the next level if possible because their role players are nothing significant.

I think they won't have a choice but rebuilding by next year. I think Paul and Griffin walk, just a hunch. To me it has been an underwhelming team. I don't know where Paul would go to win now though.

Heediot
07-19-2016, 05:54 PM
Its a good roster but probably not good enough to compete with GS. Jordan, Blake and Paul need to take their games to the next level if possible because their role players are nothing significant.

I think they won't have a choice but rebuilding by next year. I think Paul and Griffin walk, just a hunch. To me it has been an underwhelming team. I don't know where Paul would go to win now though.

I have a feeling Paul walks to NY. He will replace Rose on the Knicks.

Paul-Lee-Melo-Porz-Noah isn't bad. Could be a contender of Noah is healthy and returns to form f his pre-gasol days. If Porz makes a big leap, they are legit contenders.

naps
07-19-2016, 06:19 PM
I have a friend who is a longtime clips fan and I tell him every year that it's good and fun during the regular season but don't get your hopes up in the post season. To me their ship has sailed. They are not winning with this team as it is built currently. CP3 has been my fav PG since 2007 and for years I tried to defend him for lack of talents (as a hornet) and for bad luck/injuries as a clipper. But I have come to a conclusion that you can't win it all with him being one of your top two scoring options even though he is still terrific as a PG. Now that I look back, he is the only one among his contemporary superstars who somehow always got a pass for not going deep enough in the postseason. Those days are over.

slaker619
07-19-2016, 06:26 PM
They need another scorer

LaLa_Land
07-19-2016, 06:46 PM
Other than injuries, there's no reason to think they won't be a top-5 team in the West.

Why blow that up? Anything can happen in the playoffs.

If for some wild reason they're struggling going into the allstar break, different story.

tp13baby
07-19-2016, 07:02 PM
Other than injuries, there's no reason to think they won't be a top-5 team in the West.

Why blow that up? Anything can happen in the playoffs.

If for some wild reason they're struggling going into the allstar break, different story.

Except the top 2 players are free agents that in my opinion would walk if its another first or second round exit.

JasonJohnHorn
07-20-2016, 01:14 AM
A serious change needs to be made, and right now, the first and most important move is getting rid of Doc.

That contract he gave his son, who frankly isn't even good enough to be in the league, is some kind of fraud in my mind.

The picked up Lance Stephenson last year, and though he had a rough season in Charlotte, he is an All-Star calibre player. You give him the right coach, and he will thrive. We saw how much better he played in Memphis, and we also saw that his stats in LAC were FAR better than Austin's, and YET, Doc was giving minutes to his son. THAT RUINED any chance that roster had to really build chemistry and take advantage of the talent. And the shots Austin was getting took away from Josh.

I realize that Lance and Josh played better in the past, but when you saw you have CP3, Blake, DaJ along with Lance, J-Smoove, Crawford, and Pierce, you expect a team that chases 60 wins. I know they had injuries, so I think 60 wins would be unfair for last season, but Doc did everything to fawk up the foundation of any chemistry J-Smoove and Lance could have developed with that core.

At this point, with KD, Curry, Klay, and Dray all on one team, that Clippers roster simply isn't going to be good enough to compete in a 7-game series with GSW. The question then becomes, are they ok with simply contending now and hoping for injuries to open the door at playoff time. That doesn't seem like a good option to me as it is injuries that usually ruin their chances.

CP3 has immense trade value. I would call up Cleveland and try to pry away Kyrie. It opens up the window for them.

As for Blake.... they might as well move him to and try to bring in some serious pieces in the way of unprotected draft picks.

If they want to sell tickets the next couple of seasons, keep the core. But if they want to start a game plan that will put them in contention in 4 years, when GSW's empire is winding down, they need to start making moves for the future.

But fire Doc. I've held out on this for a while because I like and respect him, but he is ruining any chances this team has by favoring his son.

Chronz
07-20-2016, 10:17 AM
Don't know if we're exactly aging anymore, they've got a lot of youth on the team now that will get opportunities to get good amounts of playing time. That almost worries me more than when we had more vets, just cause of the uncertainty of how they will perform.
Thats kind of the point, they've aged out their best players to the point of retirement. I dont care if they added more kids, those kids aren't going to be more productive than Duncan and company have been. Put it this way, the Spurs won off a historic defense and it was basically at its peak with Duncan around. Even if you guys remain the best defensive team in the league (unlikely IMO) you're going to lose at least 7 games on that end. TP will continue to decline and is no longer a viable starter in this league, especially given the post up offense Pop ran last year. Manu is putting up a helluva fight but at 39, he could easily have one of those 60 games played type seasons.

The only hope you guys have is Pau having a rebirth of sorts, with LMA and Kawhi, hes not likely to get the touches but if he can up his efficiency to say back to the 112ORTG range, I think it will be a result of perfectly meshing with the team and will go a long way in offsetting Duncans departure. I honestly dont know what to make of Pau's Chicago stint. He had a great first year but this past year I kind of got the idea he was hogging the ball too much and chasing rebounds more than actually playing defense.

His rim protection numbers are surprisingly strong but his counterpart numbers are weak, Im very curious to see how Pop utilizes his defensive abilities. Would you say Pop generally funnels players to rim protectors or would you say he expects everyone to be on a string and help each other out? I guess if Duncan limping around can be an elite defender, he should get more effort out of Pau. This is the year we find out how much of the defensive system was built around TD. I just have a hard time envisioning Pau anchoring an elite defense, hes got enough talent to help a top10 maybe even top-5 defensive team but that represents a huge dropoff for the Spurs.

Re: the Clips, I agree just let them ride it out. If Paul/Griffin aren't hurt last year, who knows what could've happened. This off-season played out could be completely different imo

Dude we would've destroyed the Warriors and had a hard fought series vs OKC. Had that happened, people would've pointed to Currys absence more.

Chronz
07-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Spurs also lost the floor spacing/paint eating duality that was Boris Diaw. You're gonna miss his versatility but he was expected to decline as well. Dedmon needs to prove ready for rotational minutes but hes a natural C from what little I've seen so you cant play LMA at C if hes there. Is LMA playing alongside another forward even possible for you guys anymore? You guys are getting alot more conventional.

That PG spot is a problem because without TP's elite drive and kick game getting the offense in motion, its left to 2 mediocre passers to recognize post doubles and its really influenced Danny Greens game. He needs to adapt on the catch. I saw the inverse happen to Hayward, he was used to catching shots on the wing stemming off post ups from Al Jefferson and now gets them off PnR action. Maybe Im expecting too much from Green, that maybe the quality of looks have declined so drastically that its beyond his skillset but I recall him clanking many wide open shots. Ill look up the stats but it shouldn't be too hard to watch tape and see how and where you should be spotting up to get clean catch and shoots.

Chronz
07-20-2016, 10:44 AM
I guess the entire idea of adding Pau is knowing you have alot of room to slip defensively but need the help offensively. I just think Pau's numbers were massively padded in Chicago, they had decent defenders around him that upped his +/- marks and his rebounding was a mystery.

Pau could be a spectacular failure IMO, the Spurs issues were lacking mobile bigs, PG play and honestly their rebounding wasn't great. I dont know if Pau helps their rebounding but old school thinking suggests he should, dude averaged career highs but they weren't of the contested variety, you can chalk it up to positioning but the team was loads better at rebounding when Pau wasn't on the court, its possible he was just eating up redundant rebounds. This year will be a great experiment for us with all the player movement, we'll be able to see how many different setups mesh.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pau recovers his post game and hes the best passer on the team so he might even find Green in his sweet spots but if he plays the way he did last year, its going to cap your ceiling.

Put it this way, CP3 LOVES abusing Pau Gasol's lack of defensive commitment/hustle. Remember how Duncan was inches away from blocking his game winner, with Pau, you'll be lucky if he gets a hand up.

Tony_Starks
07-20-2016, 10:54 AM
Unfortunately for them Blakes shenanigans last year plus his legit injuries probably justified Doc giving this core one last shot.

If I'm them by allstar break I take a serious long look at where the team is at. If they are really rolling, playing like a well oiled machine and solidly at that number 2 spot, I ride this thing out and take my chances.

If I'm hovering around 3-5 I'm blowing it up.

mrblisterdundee
07-20-2016, 11:55 AM
I don't see how Steve Ballmer taking over was a controversy. His ownership has been universally lauded.
The Clippers' big three is great, but it might be skewed too much toward big men, with not enough shooting and versatility. I would seek to trade Blake Griffin or DeAndre Jordan probably Griffin.

Chronz
07-20-2016, 12:03 PM
I don't see how Steve Ballmer taking over was a controversy. His ownership has been universally lauded.
The Clippers' big three is great, but it might be skewed too much toward big men, with not enough shooting and versatility. I would seek to trade Blake Griffin or DeAndre Jordan probably Griffin.

Any time you continue allowing Doc run everything, its controversial. I know Ball had no choice when he first came on but he should seriously approach Doc's contract differently if the man continues blaming the prior regime for his own mistakes.

Chronz
07-20-2016, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately for them Blakes shenanigans last year plus his legit injuries probably justified Doc giving this core one last shot.

If I'm them by allstar break I take a serious long look at where the team is at. If they are really rolling, playing like a well oiled machine and solidly at that number 2 spot, I ride this thing out and take my chances.

If I'm hovering around 3-5 I'm blowing it up.

If the Clips are #3 it can only be one of the 2 things; Spurs offense hums brilliantly with the addition of Pau and ride another +60 win season or some unsuspecting team on the rise makes a bigger leap than expected but I dont see any on the horizon. Minny is still 2 years away from posing a true threat, Utah is making their big jump this year but not Spurs level good much less Clips level. Whats left?

But yeah, the main reason you wait is because you need to see what each player has left in the tank. If Blake returns to MVP form (he finished top-3 or something like 3 years ago) its going to be hard to trade him. If CP3 declines more than expected and the team is suffering as a result, you definitely move him.

If theres a clear gap between #2 and #3 then you retool but if we're #3 and right there with the Spurs, Ill take my chances. Im really liking the landscape for runner up in the West if not the league. I've never been more excited to finish 2nd than ever, feels weird. The only good thing to come from the KD defection is that its teaching me to appreciate the lesser aspects of the NBA. Even when the Clips were toiling in obscurity I didn't really have this perspective.

If nobody declines, Clips gon run over most teams.

ciaban
07-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Ride it out unless someone blows you away in a trade, it seems Rudy Gay is available, he could be the SF they need.

Cracka2HI!
07-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Ultimately I think they will stay to course. I think Doc is brutal but not as bad as most. Really he just sucks at managing the cap and working the draft. I'm starting to find the Austin hate laughable. Plenty of scrubs got overpaid as bad as him. He got a market deal. He's an NBA player for sure who would have gotten that contract from someone other than his daddy.

I think this would have been a good season to re-build. I can see both Blake and CP coming back but I can see them both leaving as well. Especially if we have another rough season. I'd be worried about giving CP3 a 5 year $160 million contract at age 32 and am worried about Blake's leg injury. I think things will be fine but if there were a time to rebuild and deals were out there this would be a good time. Especially if there were deals like that Boston deal.

Chronz
07-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Ride it out unless someone blows you away in a trade, it seems Rudy Gay is available, he could be the SF they need.

People like the idea of Rudy Gay more than the actual player. Its one thing I've learned in my time following him. I was a huge Tmac fan so I remember wanting him on the Rockets when they drafted him but Shane Battier proved to be the superior player. Clippers are in the same boat, unless they take less talent back (JC+Austin+Wes), there is no need to add him. When was the last time Rudy Gay made a team better and when was the last time a team didn't immediately improve upon jettisoning him? I'd rather go to war with Wesley Johnson and Mbah Moute

Chronz
07-20-2016, 01:11 PM
Ultimately I think they will stay to course. I think Doc is brutal but not as bad as most. Really he just sucks at managing the cap and working the draft. I'm starting to find the Austin hate laughable. Plenty of scrubs got overpaid as bad as him. He got a market deal. He's an NBA player for sure who would have gotten that contract from someone other than his daddy.

I think this would have been a good season to re-build. I can see both Blake and CP coming back but I can see them both leaving as well. Especially if we have another rough season. I'd be worried about giving CP3 a 5 year $160 million contract at age 32 and am worried about Blake's leg injury. I think things will be fine but if there were a time to rebuild and deals were out there this would be a good time. Especially if there were deals like that Boston deal.

Managing the cap, evaluating talent (remember that time we lost a first rounder AND a quality rotational for the right to try out Ukoh and CDR for the minimum? Yeah that was totally worth it, 2 years later those guys are out of the league and Dudley signed another big deal) taking responsibility for his failures (blaming the prior regime for such a friendly situations, unless we're suppose to think Doc quit on Boston for such a damning situation). Dude Doc is an idiot and unless his rookies and min signings pan out this year, he should be canned.

Austin isn't an NBA player man, Im hoping this is the year he finally becomes at least slightly below average but so long as hes this unproductive, so long as the team continues to UTTERLY COLLAPSE when he takes over for CP3 and so long as he hinders the production of those same starters, there is NOTHING to suggest hes worth the investment. Well aside from the fact that we have no choice because there are no alternatives but to be honest, I'd rather lose 1 or 2 more games he might swing and take a chance on some unknown prospect.

Like who else is paying him that money but daddy?

F M L. You just got me realizing something, the bench was an utter disaster until 2 key revelations. Austin shouldn't be the backup PG when you have Prigioni AND we had an actual Center on the team. Now we lost the Center and we have to hope Felton can play with Docs son. Oh god, if JC declines Austin better ****ing pick up the slack. Our bench offense was so ****** before those 2 got PT.

LaLa_Land
07-20-2016, 01:25 PM
Except the top 2 players are free agents that in my opinion would walk if its another first or second round exit.

True. Consider the fork in the road:

1. Put it all on the line. Go into the luxury to add another solid veteran. (Reckless with regards to the future past this year)
2. Chicken out, trade the studs at a severe discount, due to their rental nature. Experience a long, exhausting rebuild.

Both decisions are less than desirable, provided the landscape of the West and the Clipper contractual implications.

Hawkeye15
07-20-2016, 01:26 PM
I mean, the Thunder are now out of the picture as far as a contender. Clips are clearly #3 in the west. Why not run at it another 2 years??

jerellh528
07-20-2016, 01:44 PM
The clips window for a title has closed imo. They're a few seasons away from a full rebuild. It was fun while it lasted, but clips are on the downslope again.

Chronz
07-20-2016, 02:13 PM
The clips window for a title has closed imo. They're a few seasons away from a full rebuild. It was fun while it lasted, but clips are on the downslope again.

This is our best team.....

jerellh528
07-20-2016, 03:17 PM
This is our best team.....

You're the clippers fan, so I'll take your word for it. But I don't see this as their best team. I see it as their best opportunity to be in the WCF, but I still don't think they have a realistic shot at a title.. and with cp3's age and being a free agent soon, blake's supposed "worse than thought" leg injury while also being a free agent next year, and the age of their key guys, like reddick and Crawford. I see them having maybe one last run in them before they blow it up.

mrblisterdundee
07-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Any time you continue allowing Doc run everything, its controversial. I know Ball had no choice when he first came on but he should seriously approach Doc's contract differently if the man continues blaming the prior regime for his own mistakes.

Any time you get rid of a guy like Donald Sterling, it's a huge improvement. But yeah; Rivers should not be general manager.

McAllen Tx
07-20-2016, 04:25 PM
In Paus last few seasons with the Lakers EVERYTHING that went wrong was his fault. When he became a free agent 2 summers ago even though the Lakers offered him more $ then anyone else he gave them the finger and took less $ and left.

I'm getting the same feeling with BG. Seems like he's to blame for ALL of the Clippers problems. In reality (just like Pau) you can go down the list of problems and BG will be way down the list. If LA doesn't win it all I think he's out of there. Plus his hometown OKC is gonna go full court press for him. He will have other teams after him as well. He could just change locker rooms in Staples Center.

This very well could be LAs last chance to win it all before rebuilding so I see that point. They are a contender so they can't just give that up. If they can get a trade where they don't lose his production for this season and get a player still on their rookie contract that they can have locked up for 5+ years I think they got to do it.

IDK what to think about CP3. I can totally see him taking a lot less $ to join a contender of you guys lose BG for nothing.

LA pretty much has to go all in this year cause they aren't certain to bring back either CP3 or BG next year.

ciaban
07-20-2016, 06:26 PM
In Paus last few seasons with the Lakers EVERYTHING that went wrong was his fault. When he became a free agent 2 summers ago even though the Lakers offered him more $ then anyone else he gave them the finger and took less $ and left.

I'm getting the same feeling with BG. Seems like he's to blame for ALL of the Clippers problems. In reality (just like Pau) you can go down the list of problems and BG will be way down the list. If LA doesn't win it all I think he's out of there. Plus his hometown OKC is gonna go full court press for him. He will have other teams after him as well. He could just change locker rooms in Staples Center.

This very well could be LAs last chance to win it all before rebuilding so I see that point. They are a contender so they can't just give that up. If they can get a trade where they don't lose his production for this season and get a player still on their rookie contract that they can have locked up for 5+ years I think they got to do it.

IDK what to think about CP3. I can totally see him taking a lot less $ to join a contender of you guys lose BG for nothing.

LA pretty much has to go all in this year cause they aren't certain to bring back either CP3 or BG next year.
OKC going all in for Griffen is contingent on 1)Westbrook signing an extention, because Westbrooks home town team could be going hard after him this off season. and 2)Of all the top names out there Grifffen is the one most likely to have interest in OKC since he's from there. They'll have trouble attracting free agents in the future, OKC is not an idle landing spot for most players.

They could let him leave if they can sign Westbrook, Griffen is much harder to replace if your the Clippers than Paul.

DR_1
07-20-2016, 07:03 PM
I think they ride it out at least until the ASG. If things go wrong though I can see Blake getting traded and CP3 signing elsewhere.

HOLD_THIS_L
07-20-2016, 07:27 PM
Blow it up l.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Cracka2HI!
07-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Managing the cap, evaluating talent (remember that time we lost a first rounder AND a quality rotational for the right to try out Ukoh and CDR for the minimum? Yeah that was totally worth it, 2 years later those guys are out of the league and Dudley signed another big deal) taking responsibility for his failures (blaming the prior regime for such a friendly situations, unless we're suppose to think Doc quit on Boston for such a damning situation). Dude Doc is an idiot and unless his rookies and min signings pan out this year, he should be canned.

Austin isn't an NBA player man, Im hoping this is the year he finally becomes at least slightly below average but so long as hes this unproductive, so long as the team continues to UTTERLY COLLAPSE when he takes over for CP3 and so long as he hinders the production of those same starters, there is NOTHING to suggest hes worth the investment. Well aside from the fact that we have no choice because there are no alternatives but to be honest, I'd rather lose 1 or 2 more games he might swing and take a chance on some unknown prospect.

Like who else is paying him that money but daddy?

F M L. You just got me realizing something, the bench was an utter disaster until 2 key revelations. Austin shouldn't be the backup PG when you have Prigioni AND we had an actual Center on the team. Now we lost the Center and we have to hope Felton can play with Docs son. Oh god, if JC declines Austin better ****ing pick up the slack. Our bench offense was so ****** before those 2 got PT.

Doc is horrible. I certainly don't want him to be GM of the team. I won't argue for him.

Austin not an NBA player? C'mon. Is he good? No. Is he overpaid? Yes. Is he a PG? No. Should he and Jamal be on the floor together? Not if you can help it. But to say he's not an NBA player is silly. Brandon Dawson is not an NBA player. Reggie Bullock was not an NBA player. Remember the Jordan Farmar experiment? Austin has never looked out of place on the court to me. In fact there were plenty of times last year where I felt he was our only bench player that could give us a hoop.

I think Austin easily gets that money elsewhere. I can list 20 contacts as bad as Austin's that were signed this off-season. Solomon Hill, E'Twan Thomas and Garrett Temple's money all probably go to Austin off the top of my head.

I share your concern about the bench losing Cole. I think Felton should fill Pablo's role no problem. I see Doc running a 3 G lineup most of the time with Jamal at the 3. I think Jamal has played just as much 3 as 2 in his time with the Clipps. It's certainly not ideal but I think you can get away with it off the bench. I'm really worried about the rebounding. That's where Jamal at the 3 really kills us imo. Our bench was really weak on the boards last season and figures to be even worse this year.

ciaban
07-21-2016, 02:33 AM
People like the idea of Rudy Gay more than the actual player. Its one thing I've learned in my time following him. I was a huge Tmac fan so I remember wanting him on the Rockets when they drafted him but Shane Battier proved to be the superior player. Clippers are in the same boat, unless they take less talent back (JC+Austin+Wes), there is no need to add him. When was the last time Rudy Gay made a team better and when was the last time a team didn't immediately improve upon jettisoning him? I'd rather go to war with Wesley Johnson and Mbah Moute
There's probably truth to that, though he makes the clippers better, because they have a need for another scorer, particularly at the wing.

LivinLakers
07-21-2016, 02:43 AM
I am gonna get killed for saying this, but to me CP3 is not a winner. He is too ball dominant and in today's NBA, or really any years NBA a heavily ball dominant guard will not win you a title. It is fun basketball the watch, but as long as CP is running the point for the Clippers they will not be contenders. Competitive yes, contenders, no. If I were the clippers I would move CP3 to a contender, now before his skills diminish. I would trade him for a few skills complementary players. I would build around Blake and Deandre. Those guys are your future, and you can win with those guys.

Chronz
07-21-2016, 12:10 PM
I am gonna get killed for saying this, but to me CP3 is not a winner. He is too ball dominant and in today's NBA, or really any years NBA a heavily ball dominant guard will not win you a title. It is fun basketball the watch, but as long as CP is running the point for the Clippers they will not be contenders. Competitive yes, contenders, no. If I were the clippers I would move CP3 to a contender, now before his skills diminish. I would trade him for a few skills complementary players. I would build around Blake and Deandre. Those guys are your future, and you can win with those guys.

Meh, if you're focusing on offense you really have no idea what you're talking about. The Clips have lost for 2 reasons, health and defense. Now the health we prolly cant control but the defense? Its not CP3's job to dominate the glass nor can he defend the titans that have owned our bigs historically. Not seeing how we can win with inferior players but not with the point god. Give CP3 defensive support like Big O had, like Isiah had, like Chauncey had, like Tony Parker had, then talk to me.

kdspurman
07-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Spurs also lost the floor spacing/paint eating duality that was Boris Diaw. You're gonna miss his versatility but he was expected to decline as well. Dedmon needs to prove ready for rotational minutes but hes a natural C from what little I've seen so you cant play LMA at C if hes there. Is LMA playing alongside another forward even possible for you guys anymore? You guys are getting alot more conventional.

That PG spot is a problem because without TP's elite drive and kick game getting the offense in motion, its left to 2 mediocre passers to recognize post doubles and its really influenced Danny Greens game. He needs to adapt on the catch. I saw the inverse happen to Hayward, he was used to catching shots on the wing stemming off post ups from Al Jefferson and now gets them off PnR action. Maybe Im expecting too much from Green, that maybe the quality of looks have declined so drastically that its beyond his skillset but I recall him clanking many wide open shots. Ill look up the stats but it shouldn't be too hard to watch tape and see how and where you should be spotting up to get clean catch and shoots.

Gonna miss Bobo. You just never know what you're going to get with him, unfortunately. After the 2014 run, (which he was so instrumental) he just took a step back.

I've definitely got question marks for the team, but I'll see how they do. Young guys like Anderson (who SA is hoping can replicate some of what Diaw did & Simmons on the perimeter are going to have to step up. It's all about guard/perimeter play (sans Kawhi) who need to step up.

I can see Pau getting subbed out early and allowing Dedmon to play next to LMA more, and Pau with someone like Manu would be great imo. Don't know if Pau would be up for coming off the bench, but that'd be a nice fit for him with that 2nd unit.

We'll see how it all plays out. I gave up on Green being more than a great defender and spot up shooter. I think that's who he is. When he dribbles, I cringe. Maybe Simmons will take his spot. Who knows