PDA

View Full Version : What player of yesteryears would you most like to see play in this era?

JasonJohnHorn
07-17-2016, 08:47 PM
Who would you like to see play in this era? And what team/situation do you think they would thrive in? How do you think they would match up with current players?

Heediot
07-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Tim Duncan. I think he would thrive if he teamed up with Pops. They would probably be one of the best player coach duos of all time.

Heediot
07-17-2016, 09:05 PM
On a serious note.

It would be interesting to see how a guy like Mark Price would do. He was a nice 3 point shooter, and with today's less physical rules and emphasis on the 3 I think he would thrive even more-so vs. the past.

europagnpilgrim
07-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Pretty much all the top all nba caliber players from the 60-70's era to show us how truly dominant they really were, its like how people go ape **** over Westbrook(with good reason) putting up his 18 or so triple doubles and predicting his insane numbers for this upcoming season where a player like Big O average those and better numbers for his first 6 seasons in the league, he is so underrated its almost a travesty

KnicksorBust
07-17-2016, 09:34 PM
I want to see how shooters like West and Pistol Pete would play with a 3pt line for their whole career.

I want to see how back to the basket dominating bigs like Wilt and Kareem would play with the modern rules.

I want to see defenders like Bobby Jones, Rodman, and Gary Payton guarding guys like LeBron, Durant, Curry, and Westbrook.

mrblisterdundee
07-17-2016, 09:35 PM
It would be pretty awesome to see Jerry West or Elgin Baylor in today's NBA. I think both would thrive in today's system.

JordansBulls
07-17-2016, 09:42 PM
Tmac in his prime.

IndyRealist
07-17-2016, 09:50 PM
Rik Smits and Detlef Schrempf. They were decades ahead of their time.

ewing
07-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Kareem

HandsOnTheWheel
07-17-2016, 09:56 PM
3 pt shooters of the past as well as mix and matching guys who could excel in present day small ball lineups.

ewing
07-17-2016, 09:59 PM
On a serious note.

It would be interesting to see how a guy like Mark Price would do. He was a nice 3 point shooter, and with today's less physical rules and emphasis on the 3 I think he would thrive even more-so vs. the past.

He was fantastic with the Cavs. The best pick and roll guy in the league IMO. He could split a trap like it was nothing, then he had that sick running one legger from mid range to go with the range, and he was a great passer. Price would be elite and entertaining as hell.

Bostonjorge
07-17-2016, 11:43 PM
PG
Nick Van Exel
Kevin Johnson
Jason Williams
Bobby Jackson

SG
Mitch Richmond
Eddie Jones
Jim Jackson
Bonzi Wells

SF
Jamal Mashburn
Glen Robinson
Denis Scott
Shareef Abdur Rahim

All theses guys had good to great careers. I think they can play just as good and maybe reach higher levels of success.

IKnowHoops
07-17-2016, 11:55 PM
I would love to see a rookie David Robinson get drafted by the Cavs right next season.

Also Id love to see the entire Jordan's Bulls team compete against the Warriors team next year and the Current Cavs team with that young 24 year old rookie David Robinson on it. Would be fun to watch that all play out.

COOLbeans
07-18-2016, 12:13 AM
Dennis Rodman and Charles Barkley

Hawkeye15
07-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Charles Barkley, without a doubt. You could hide his defensive inefficiencies, and his passing game and range would make him impossible to stop today.

Tony_Starks
07-18-2016, 10:31 AM
C Webb would probably average a triple double.

LA4life24/8
07-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Joe dumars and Isaiah Thomas come to mind. Honestly all star guards in general because of the no hand check rule. But it's just fun to think about swapping star eras and consider how they'd do.

Like a lot of people would say lebron couldn't handle the 80s contact but he's a truly freakish athlete and I'm not sure the 80s could have held him. Or seeing the likes of Mullens or bird in today's game. They have limitless range great passing. They could be great(er).

Hawkeye15
07-18-2016, 02:58 PM
Joe dumars and Isaiah Thomas come to mind. Honestly all star guards in general because of the no hand check rule. But it's just fun to think about swapping star eras and consider how they'd do.

Like a lot of people would say lebron couldn't handle the 80s contact but he's a truly freakish athlete and I'm not sure the 80s could have held him. Or seeing the likes of Mullens or bird in today's game. They have limitless range great passing. They could be great(er).

LeBron would have thrived in the 80's. No zone, paint wide open. Anyone trying to foul him hard is taking punishment as well, he is strong enough to punish the punisher. I actually think Bird would be better today than he was.

D-Leethal
07-18-2016, 02:58 PM
Larry ****ing Bird. Would love to see him get under Bron's skin.

smith&wesson
07-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Any great C i.e Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, Hakeem etc.

These guys would absolutely dominate the 5's of today. I can see them average 30 points 20 rebounds if they played in todays game.

smith&wesson
07-18-2016, 03:31 PM

Bird didn't have the lateral quickness to keep up with Lebron defensively. I doubt he would even be guarding him.

Dade County
07-18-2016, 05:12 PM
Dennis Rodman and Charles Barkley

Agreed.

Also, Magic on the Knicks. I would like to see if he could handle how the game has speed up; but under the bright lights of Ny. He would either shine or crash & burn (leaning towards, shine).

Tim Hardaway. If Mike Conley got 153mil, i am sure Timmy could still be successful in this leauge. Maybe playing for the Kings or N.O.

Shaq. For the Lakers or HEAT.

Hawkeye15
07-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Agreed.

Also, Magic on the Knicks. I would like to see if he could handle how the game has speed up; but under the bright lights of Ny. He would either shine or crash & burn (leaning towards, shine).

Tim Hardaway. If Mike Conley got 153mil, i am sure Timmy could still be successful in this leauge. Maybe playing for the Kings or N.O.

Shaq. For the Lakers or HEAT.

Showtime Lakers played at a higher pace than the current NBA. Magic's inability to shoot would hurt him more today, but he could be covered up better defensively. He would still be a bad *** today.

CubbieKid17
07-18-2016, 05:19 PM
Clarence Weatherspoon aka the GOAT. On a serious note, Oscar Robertson would probably put up even bigger numbers in today's game.

Hawkeye15
07-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Clarence Weatherspoon aka the GOAT. On a serious note, Oscar Robertson would probably put up even bigger numbers in today's game.

nobody from that era would put up near those numbers today. It was a track meet with minimal defense (outside the nightly fights). Guys also played a ton of minutes

IndyRealist
07-18-2016, 06:24 PM
Bird didn't have the lateral quickness to keep up with Lebron defensively. I doubt he would even be guarding him.

Bird would almost certainly be a 4 with 3pt shooting today. He's still a deadly shooter right now.

DaBear
07-18-2016, 06:41 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Jordan yet. Granted 03 wasn't that long ago, but MJ and LeBron being in the league at the same time would be something special.

McAllen Tx
07-18-2016, 06:42 PM
Meh.... Yesteryears players playing today really doesn't move my interest. Today's players playing in yesteryears I would be interested in.

I agree with Kobe & Co who say that AAU ball gots todays players damaged. These prima donnas wouldve gotten slapped in yesteryears.

LaLa_Land
07-18-2016, 06:56 PM
I'd love to see a prime Shaq manhandle today's post players.

He'd shoot 40 free throws per game.

JasonJohnHorn
07-18-2016, 09:03 PM

Great pick!

Dade County
07-18-2016, 09:51 PM
Showtime Lakers played at a higher pace than the current NBA. Magic's inability to shoot would hurt him more today, but he could be covered up better defensively. He would still be a bad *** today.

I believe the players of today are quicker & over faster then most players back then. I dont know if Magic could guard these quick pg's & the explosive combo guards.

& i would want to see his ball handling skills also.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-18-2016, 11:49 PM
Bill Russell so he can get exposed.

MickeyMgl
07-19-2016, 12:08 AM
Magic Johnson.
He would still be the greatest.

Phantom Dreamer
07-19-2016, 12:11 AM

Like a lot of people would say lebron couldn't handle the 80s contact but he's a truly freakish athlete and I'm not sure the 80s could have held him. Or seeing the likes of Mullens or bird in today's game. They have limitless range great passing. They could be great(er).Isaiah Thomas already plays today, you meant Isiah.

Mave1002
07-19-2016, 01:23 AM
I miss three things:

Dominant centers - I'll go for Shaquille O'Neal. When do we get to see the next PURE center?

Elite defenders -Since I can't see anyone outside of Lebron James that can possibly guard Draymond Green, I'll go for prime Dennis Rodman and prime Ron Artest.

Elite playmakers -Jason Kidd and Steve Nash, the two best playmakers in NBA history behind Magic Johnson.

Bruno
07-19-2016, 01:27 AM
Bill Russell so he can get exposed.

he'd be a better version of Draymond.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2016, 11:50 AM
I believe the players of today are quicker & over faster then most players back then. I dont know if Magic could guard these quick pg's & the explosive combo guards.

who is guarding Magic?

Chronz
07-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Fat Lever: Easily my number 1 pick here, you guys thought watching prime Rondo with HOF'ers around him was fun, imagine if Rondo could shoot. Thats Fat Lever, dude was everywhere on the court. Hes listed at 6"3 I think but theres no way thats legit. I got family in Denver and they put me up on game, this guy was small in size but had the strength to outmuscle (pre-strength training)Michael Jordan fighting for rebounds. He led his team in rebounds and assists at 6"2 playing at a break neck speed, he was made for this era.

Abdul-Rauf: Never understood why some coach didn't just run non stop PnR's for this guy. Maybe they did but the lack of handchecks would aid him. He could be a poor mans Curry instead of a homeless mans Curry he is.

Sidney Moncrief: The kind of guy you could plug into any NBA team today and have him fill the gaps in any weakness. Need a stopper, check. Need a scorer or some one to be a secondary playmaker, double check. How he plays is ultimately defined by his teammates, I respect that about him, the ultimate team player.

Adrian Dantley : Curious to see how his low post based game works in the zone era given his lack of intangibles.

Bernard King: Just cuz the league lacks pure scorers and there isn't enough footage of a peak King.

The 96 Sonics - Really think they were ahead of their time in a league, they were one of the first teams I remember running an inverted offense with their PG posting up/slashing and their bigs spacing out. They were trying their hardest to play zone in a time when it was suppose to be illegal, they would be unshackled today and much better defensively. GP and Nate McMillan were easily the best PG defensive duo of all time and Shawn Kemp is as gifted as any athlete to benefit from the lack of handchecking.

Chronz
07-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Almost forgot, Chet Walker and Nate Thurmond. Chet is one of the most underrated shooters of all time, to be as efficient as he was in an era devoid of it can only be a result of a sweet stroke+elite shot selection. I've seen very little of his games but from that and everything I've read, he was basically only behind Sam Jones and Jerry West as off the bounce shooters.

Pistol Pete is in that class only without the shot selection bit, in todays era those same awful shots are now high% shots. Poor guy

Chronz
07-19-2016, 12:12 PM

They burned him back in the mid 80's too, its a good thing Scott and Cooper were around to defend the real attacking threats.

Several coaches/players have opined that Magic would be more of a forward today, kind of how he started his career and not unlike how he played when he came back from retirement.

R. Johnson#3
07-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Larry Legend for me. He retired a couple of years before I started watching basketball.

Chronz
07-19-2016, 01:03 PM
Larry Legend for me. He retired a couple of years before I started watching basketball.
One of my fav Legend moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmiggKJirm8

This was Larry Bird on his last legs, back injuries really robed us but its still amazing to watch him drill clutch jumpers vs MJ in a double OT game. Dropped 34-15-8 against the eventual champs.

You're going to see alot of Dirk in his game here but in his youth he was a different player.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2016, 01:06 PM
Fat Lever: Easily my number 1 pick here, you guys thought watching prime Rondo with HOF'ers around him was fun, imagine if Rondo could shoot. Thats Fat Lever, dude was everywhere on the court. Hes listed at 6"3 I think but theres no way thats legit. I got family in Denver and they put me up on game, this guy was small in size but had the strength to outmuscle (pre-strength training)Michael Jordan fighting for rebounds. He led his team in rebounds and assists at 6"2 playing at a break neck speed, he was made for this era.

Abdul-Rauf: Never understood why some coach didn't just run non stop PnR's for this guy. Maybe they did but the lack of handchecks would aid him. He could be a poor mans Curry instead of a homeless mans Curry he is.
Sidney Moncrief: The kind of guy you could plug into any NBA team today and have him fill the gaps in any weakness. Need a stopper, check. Need a scorer or some one to be a secondary playmaker, double check. How he plays is ultimately defined by his teammates, I respect that about him, the ultimate team player.

Adrian Dantley : Curious to see how his low post based game works in the zone era given his lack of intangibles.

Bernard King: Just cuz the league lacks pure scorers and there isn't enough footage of a peak King.

The 96 Sonics - Really think they were ahead of their time in a league, they were one of the first teams I remember running an inverted offense with their PG posting up/slashing and their bigs spacing out. They were trying their hardest to play zone in a time when it was suppose to be illegal, they would be unshackled today and much better defensively. GP and Nate McMillan were easily the best PG defensive duo of all time and Shawn Kemp is as gifted as any athlete to benefit from the lack of handchecking.

good call.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2016, 01:11 PM

my first memory of Larry is the 1984 finals. I was probably 9, my Dad a huge C's fan. I watched Magic miss 2 FT's (I think Magic kinda **** the bed to close that game actually), then Larry pound a fadeaway from the elbow to take the lead, Carr stole a Worthy pass and dunked, game was over. I had never seen my Dad so excited over a game. Pretty much how I got into basketball.

Vee-Rex
07-19-2016, 01:19 PM
I miss three things:

Dominant centers - I'll go for Shaquille O'Neal. When do we get to see the next PURE center?

Elite defenders -Since I can't see anyone outside of Lebron James that can possibly guard Draymond Green, I'll go for prime Dennis Rodman and prime Ron Artest.

Elite playmakers -Jason Kidd and Steve Nash, the two best playmakers in NBA history behind Magic Johnson.

:confused:

IKnowHoops
07-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Oh yeah, would love to see Shaq again too. His type of dominance is one of a kind. But while I'm at it bring back Wilt. I would want to see him in the league as well. Would want to see what his real value and dominance actually is. And to see this I guess we would have to bring back the top 8 Centers ever and disperse them among teams. Drob on the current Cavs of Course. But get Hakeem, Ewing, Walton, Mourning, Russell, Jabbar and Moses.

Bring back the entire 90's Bulls squad (keep them as a team), disperse those centers around the league.

Bring back Tim Hardaway, Gary Payton, John Stockton, Penny Hardaway, KJ

Bring back Duncan,KG, Barkley, Malone,Dirk

Bring back the the entire dominant 60's celtics team as well

Bring back Showtime Lakers/Celtics/Pistons of the 80's

Boom mix it around and see what happens. Would love to see who comes out on top of that one.

MassoDio
07-19-2016, 01:48 PM
I like a lot of the answers that others have given, so I won't rehash any of those.

I would like to see Dana Barros play in today's game.

Craig Hodges.

B.J. Armstrong.

John Starks.

Chuck Person.

Byron Scott.

Oh...and Vernon Maxwell's crazy a$s.

lamzoka
07-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Tmac in his prime.

You have KD

YAALREADYKNO
07-19-2016, 04:37 PM