PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili & 76ers force Spurs hand, resigns for 14m/1yr.

kobe4thewinbang
07-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Ouch. Apparently triple of what the Spurs and Manu initiially agreed upon. Reported by Woj.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/video/76ers-force-spurs-pay-manu-222719167.html

Undeniably, Ginobili was phenomenal in the last finals against the Heat. But that was three seasons ago. Why would the 76ers want Manu? To mentor Simmons and the youngsters? We're talking constant contender and bonafide #1 pick team different here.

I understand wanting to keep the old guard now that Duncan is gone, but 14 million seems steep for Ginobili's services, even with the new salary cap.

unleashthebeast
07-14-2016, 07:04 PM
The Spurs already used all of their cap space anyway, no? And this is just them signing him over the cap by retaining his bird rights.

Who cares how much he gets :shrug:. Spurs had to keep him and he's staying

More-Than-Most
07-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Sixers playing smart :nod:

warfelg
07-14-2016, 07:10 PM
Damn. Would have been a nice pickup. I know he isn't what he was but he could have really helped our youngins.

SeoulBeatz
07-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Ouch. Apparently triple of what the Spurs and Manu initiially agreed upon. Reported by Woj.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/video/76ers-force-spurs-pay-manu-222719167.html

Undeniably, Ginobili was phenomenal in the last finals against the Heat. But that was three seasons ago. Why would the 76ers want Manu? To mentor Simmons and the youngsters? We're talking constant contender and bonafide #1 pick team different here.

I understand wanting to keep the old guard now that Duncan is gone, but 14 million seems steep for Ginobili's services, even with the new salary cap.

Yep, Colangelo was just looking for a vet presence to help mentor the youngsters. We still have a ton of cap to kill and these 1-2 year deals aren't hurting our cap situation since we won't be landing big talent next year.

He also seems hellbent on adding international talent to the team (something I don't mind at all).

Honestly I've been very happy with all the moves (or non-moves) Colangelo has made this offseason. He's done a nice job of building off what Hinkie started and addressed some needs for the team that won't handicap our future.

PG: Sergio Rodriguez/ Bayless/ T.J
SG: Gerald Henderson/ Luwawu/ Stauskus
SF: Robert Covington/ Grant/ Thompson
PF: Ben Simmons/ Saric/ Holmes
C: Joel Embiid/ Okafor/ Noel

He added some nice balance to the roster by surrounding Simmons with a few guards who can space the floor. Love the Sergio addition, was the MVP of Euroleague and should do wonders for our bigs who have yet to play with an NBA caliber PG. Waiting to see how he handles our logjam at C, but that will come in time.

kdspurman
07-14-2016, 07:27 PM
The Spurs already used all of their cap space anyway, no? And this is just them signing him over the cap by retaining his bird rights.

Pretty much. It doesn't make a difference.
maybe Brett Brown probably wanted a reunion with Manu lol

JasonJohnHorn
07-14-2016, 07:35 PM
It's actually a really good idea. At the end of the season, assuming he retired, they can use that contract in a sign-and-trade and take back a contract worth up to 25% more than that. Or if a team is having a fire sale, they can do simple trade the contract.

Or you can just look at it this way: they are giving him a bonus for all he's done for them.

A lot of teams (like Detroit with Ben Wallace and the Heat with Dwyane Wade) have guys take a cut under the pretense that they will be taken care of later and don't. Here, the Spurs are showing why they are a stand up organization because they do have a sense of loyalty.

Imagine a player who wants to play for a winner and wants to be appreciated and knows where he stands. He sees how the Spurs, when they are already over the cap and it won't hurt their salary cap next season CHOOSES to OVERPAY for a guy that has been on the team for a long time. THAT is a team players want to sign with.

GREAT MOVE!!!

TheNumber37
07-14-2016, 08:18 PM
Certainly his last deal.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-14-2016, 08:50 PM
76ers had nothing to lose. They have all this cap anyway. May as well have a legitimate veteran to guide the young players.

warfelg
07-14-2016, 09:03 PM
76ers had nothing to lose. They have all this cap anyway. May as well have a legitimate veteran to guide the young players.

:( Do Jerrod Bayless, Gerald Henderson, Carl Landry not count?

ManRam
07-14-2016, 09:04 PM

Yup. The money doesn't matter one bit. Unless you're the guy writing that check...and who cares about that? This has absolutely zero downstream cap ramifications.

SeoulBeatz
07-14-2016, 09:31 PM
:( Do Jerrod Bayless, Gerald Henderson, Carl Landry not count?

Dont think he meant that as a slight towards our vets. I personally wouldve loved to have Manu here even in his twilight years. One of the most underappreciated players of our generation.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-14-2016, 09:34 PM
Dick move, bro.

Chronz
07-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Count me among those who finds it refreshing for the Sixers to attempt such a move.

warfelg
07-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Count me among those who finds it refreshing for the Sixers to attempt such a move.

Refreshing to overpay an over the hill vet?

I mean, it's not like I would have hated the move, but I really like the moves we've made. Solid respected NBA players, a guy trying to restart his NBA career. Short term deals and guys that have skill sets to help Ben grow as a rookie.

But overpaying an end of career Ginobli wouldn't really change things more than Sergio, Bayless, and Henderson can in terms of league perception.

ManRam
07-14-2016, 10:16 PM

I mean, it's not like I would have hated the move, but I really like the moves we've made. Solid respected NBA players, a guy trying to restart his NBA career. Short term deals and guys that have skill sets to help Ben grow as a rookie.

But overpaying an end of career Ginobli wouldn't really change things more than Sergio, Bayless, and Henderson can in terms of league perception.

When you're 25-30 million dollars under the cap and it's July 14th it's impossible to "overpay" for anyone. Far worse things than throwing gobs of money you're supposed to be spending and will have a hard time finding ways to spend it on towards at a vet, especially a vet with a pedigree like Manu's and one who plays a position where "blocking" players you need to develop from playing.

warfelg
07-14-2016, 10:23 PM
When you're 25-30 million dollars under the cap and it's July 14th it's impossible to "overpay" for anyone. Far worse things than throwing gobs of money you're supposed to be spending and will have a hard time finding ways to spend it on towards at a vet, especially a vet with a pedigree like Manu's and one who plays a position where "blocking" players you need to develop from playing.

So?

As of right now we have 17 players under contract:

Bayless/Rodruigez/McConnell/Marshall
Henderson/Thompson/Luwawu/Stauskis
Covington/Grant
Simmons/Saric/Landry
Embiid/Okafor/Noel/Holmes

Also "supposed to be spending"? You do know at the end of the year the money under the floor gets divided out to the players on the team. That would be an extra $2mil per player. While reaching the floor is nice, it isn't necessary to get to it just for the sake of getting to the floor.

TheDish87
07-15-2016, 11:53 AM
the bigger contract prevented the Spurs from keeping that Boban guy too

Tony_Starks
07-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Colangelo and crew actually operating like a respectable franchise. Hinkie is probably somewhere shocked and appalled at their attempts to add a championship experienced vet that actually would add wins to the column...

5ass
07-15-2016, 12:27 PM

How far are they from the salary floor? I haven't looked at the numbers, but like I said before paying a vet like Manu the money left to reach the salary floor is a much better option than distributing that money to young players. Manu gives a vet presence, a solid playmaker and prevents the young guys from getting money they dont really deserve.

kdspurman
07-15-2016, 12:27 PM
the bigger contract prevented the Spurs from keeping that Boban guy too

It may have worked out for us, by signing Dedmon to a cheaper contract. He's more athletic and probably more what we needed w/our frontline.

Boban will be missed though. He'll probably be a huge (no pun intended) fan favorite in Detroit like he was in SA, and dam near every arena he visited lol

5ass
07-15-2016, 12:35 PM
It may have worked out for us, by signing Dedmon to a cheaper contract. He's more athletic and probably more what we needed w/our frontline.

Boban will be missed though. He'll probably be a huge (no pun intended) fan favorite in Detroit like he was in SA, and dam near every arena he visited lol

Yeah I'm not sure dedmon is much of a downgrade, and I think he's better suited to play next to Aldridge.

TheDish87
07-15-2016, 01:31 PM
Colangelo and crew actually operating like a respectable franchise. Hinkie is probably somewhere shocked and appalled at their attempts to add a championship experienced vet that actually would add wins to the column...

llol BC is following the Hinkie plan to a damn tee. You might want to check out the story ESPN did on Hinkie before he quit, this was always the next phase of the plan. It was the first time he opened up the media on that kind of level. Its a really good read, maybe it will help you stop hating every chance you get, doubt it, but just maybe. We even joke in our forum that Hinkie is still pulling the strings. Some people like to pretend Hinkie was hired to never try to win and cost a historic franchise millions a year fr ***** and giggles, educate yourself, youll sound better.

CardinalRed24
07-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Oof. Pricey. I didn't see this coming..

Still, they're gonna need all the help they can get with these new look Warriors

TrueFan420
07-15-2016, 01:50 PM

Not a move made for league perception it's a move made to give Ben Simmons a mentor for how to be a true NBA pro. Manu brings all the intangibles and work ethic to teach Simmons what it's all about. He's the pedigree that you want Simmons exposed too. Also a 1 yea deal doesn't hurt your cap flexibility and you have money to spend and FA are not flocking to you. It was a smart offer.

Alayla
07-15-2016, 02:53 PM

Hinkie would have done the same thing at this stage nice try though.

beasted86
07-15-2016, 09:15 PM
How far are they from the salary floor? I haven't looked at the numbers, but like I said before paying a vet like Manu the money left to reach the salary floor is a much better option than distributing that money to young players. Manu gives a vet presence, a solid playmaker and prevents the young guys from getting money they dont really deserve.
Don't you understand? Sixers fans don't want any move that could jeopardize them sucking worse each year. Losing is their identity now.

Manu is a vet who's been an all-star and has tons of championship and international experience. They don't need any vets teaching the players how to compete and mature and develop from a player's perspective. It hurts even worse to know he probably has a good relationship with Coach Brown already and would be like another coach on the floor helping to implement his system they taught in SA. That would be totally detrimental to tanking.

Carl Landry is all they need as far a veteran. Don't you know how many rings he and Henderson have combined? How many all-star games they've attended?

Also giving Manu a contract limits their team financially. Right now they already have $44M in salary out of only a $94M cap. So signing a $14M contract limits them to only $37M in cap space they would have had after signing. That is not enough space left to absorb a deal if something comes up later on. Colangelo is handcuffing the team's ability to take a bad contract for picks.

More-Than-Most
07-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Don't you understand? Sixers fans don't want any move that could jeopardize them sucking worse each year. Losing is their identity now.

Manu is a vet who's been an all-star and has tons of championship and international experience. They don't need any vets teaching the players how to compete and mature and develop from a player's perspective. It hurts even worse to know he probably has a good relationship with Coach Brown already and would be like another coach on the floor helping to implement his system they taught in SA. That would be totally detrimental to tanking.

Carl Landry is all they need as far a veteran. Don't you know how many rings he and Henderson have combined? How many all-star games they've attended?

Also giving Manu a contract limits their team financially. Right now they already have $44M in salary out of only a $94M cap. So signing a $14M contract limits them to only $37M in cap space they would have had after signing. That is not enough space left to absorb a deal if something comes up later on. Colangelo is handcuffing the team's ability to take a bad contract for picks.

Honestly its far better than holding on to medicrity like we were doing and what the heat are currently doing if you want honesty. Its a terrible place to be. Sixers tried to do exactly what the heat are currently doing for years and it failed miserably so we went this route... The future is bright. I know that makes people mad but its true.

beasted86
07-15-2016, 09:58 PM
Honestly its far better than holding on to medicrity like we were doing and what the heat are currently doing if you want honesty. Its a terrible place to be. Sixers tried to do exactly what the heat are currently doing for years and it failed miserably so we went this route... The future is bright. I know that makes people mad but its true.
Wait, you're really trying to compare how Miami is run in comparison to Philadelphia, and you're turning your nose up at them? Really, son?

LOL is all I can do to that. If I had to take bets, Miami will be in the playoffs before Philly, and on the long term view I know that the Arison family will make a contender before you as well.

More-Than-Most
07-15-2016, 10:09 PM
Wait, you're really trying to compare how Miami is run in comparison to Philadelphia, and you're turning your nose up at them? Really, son?

LOL is all I can do to that. If I had to take bets, Miami will be in the playoffs before Philly, and on the long term view I know that the Arison family will make a contender before you as well.

Yes they will because it could happen this year but anyone can just about make the playoffs in basketball.. That is why we went full rebuild because the sixers were making the playoffs every year and getting 1 and done but pushing that top team because of our defense but never could get over the hump... The sixers have the talent and could get a superstar out of Simmons/Embiid/Saric and that is what is needed in todays NBA. So yes you guys will make the playoffs but have no shot at a championship over the next 4 years easily... The sixers and lakers/Wolves and so on are building for after those 2 or 3 years.... Do you honestly thing the heats current situation is better in the long run? This notion that Pat is some type of genius is becoming tiresome. He got gifted the big 3 because Lebron decided to go there.... That isnt going to happen again any time soon... The heats current situation just isnt appealing... Whiteside is a max player whom I see very little in... I had the heat last year as legit contenders with no shot of beating the warriors/Spurs/Thunder but matching up nicely against the cavs because they had the talent around them and wade turns it on in the playoffs... Dragic is on a fantastic deal but overall I dont see how the heat can take that championship step anytime soon.

Cracka2HI!
07-15-2016, 11:53 PM
I've also heard they offered Jamal Crawford 2 years $50 million. If they are getting turned down for 2 and 3 times the money they have proven that the tanking thing doesn't work in the NBA. It works OK in the Sim League but not IRL.

rocket
07-16-2016, 12:51 AM
shout out to the 76ers

#trustTheProcess

More-Than-Most
07-16-2016, 12:54 AM
I've also heard they offered Jamal Crawford 2 years $50 million. If they are getting turned down for 2 and 3 times the money they have proven that the tanking thing doesn't work in the NBA. It works OK in the Sim League but not IRL.

You heard? from where? There was never anything of fact being reported... The reported number which again was just speculation was 2 years 40 million with the first year being a max deal which is a pretty genius way to use the money... He choose the Clippers whom are a top playoff team and from LA and got a 3 year 42 million dollar deal... How in the hell is that 2 or 3 times the deal? The tanking thing you speak of had very little effect considering how many players were talking to us and saying great things about us but chose playoff teams for the same money... Its called logic and the only bad side of being a bad team right now because everyone has money... So the sixers offering their deal means nothing because other teams are offering similar but are already playoff contenders.

If you want all the links lemme know and I will gladly post them. Please post the link of where it says 2 years 50 million

Chronz
07-16-2016, 01:37 AM
Or he's laughing that his plan landed them a legit prospect to build with. This was always the logical next step. Keep hating tho, I've seen you struggle to remember moves your own fo did.

ewing
07-16-2016, 08:18 AM
Yes they will because it could happen this year but anyone can just about make the playoffs in basketball.. That is why we went full rebuild because the sixers were making the playoffs every year and getting 1 and done but pushing that top team because of our defense but never could get over the hump... The sixers have the talent and could get a superstar out of Simmons/Embiid/Saric and that is what is needed in todays NBA. So yes you guys will make the playoffs but have no shot at a championship over the next 4 years easily... The sixers and lakers/Wolves and so on are building for after those 2 or 3 years.... Do you honestly thing the heats current situation is better in the long run? This notion that Pat is some type of genius is becoming tiresome. He got gifted the big 3 because Lebron decided to go there.... That isnt going to happen again any time soon... The heats current situation just isnt appealing... Whiteside is a max player whom I see very little in... I had the heat last year as legit contenders with no shot of beating the warriors/Spurs/Thunder but matching up nicely against the cavs because they had the talent around them and wade turns it on in the playoffs... Dragic is on a fantastic deal but overall I dont see how the heat can take that championship step anytime soon.

The Sixers have been losing for 1/2 a decade and the Heat still have better young talent then them.

ewing
07-16-2016, 08:21 AM

IDK, seems like they were taking page from Heinkie's book and trying to reach the salary floor

beasted86
07-16-2016, 08:55 AM

Riley is going to retire in the next few seasons, it's Nick Arison and whoever he brings in as the new president who will be getting the ball rolling toward us building a contender.

Of course Miami is in a better position than the Sixers since they have legit established talent and an established market along with young players developing.

Philly has to rebuild both their talent pool and image around the league. I'm sure you guys think that as soon as one or two of your rookie contract players start to shine that every free agent is going to come running to your team, but you will be sadly mistaken. Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, and other young stars continue to not draw any marquee players to join their losing teams even if you have 1 MVP caliber guy locked in long term. That's just not enough now anymore. And with the way contracts are being paid nowadays Noel and Embiid are going to eat half the cap before you realize it and lock you into mediocrity.

Vinylman
07-16-2016, 09:39 AM
check it out...

Miami fans still thinking they are relevant..

beasted86
07-16-2016, 11:39 AM
check it out...

Miami fans still thinking they are relevant..

Hey, I have some news for you. For the next couple years all but 2 teams are totally irrelevant and have zero chance at a championship, so GTFOH.

It's all about how much you trust your front office to put you in position for 3-4 years from now. If you trust the Sixers over Miami you're deluded.

beasted86
07-16-2016, 11:44 AM
Now how about we stay on topic since I have no idea what Miami has to do with the Sixers, Spurs or Manu Ginobili.

TheDish87
07-16-2016, 12:12 PM

and here i thought Tony Starts was an annoying troll, nice work.

TheDish87
07-16-2016, 12:17 PM
The Sixers have been losing for 1/2 a decade and the Heat still have better young talent then them.

lol what? none of that is true, but you knew that. What have the Knicks been doing the last half decade then?

TheDish87
07-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Hey, I have some news for you. For the next couple years all but 2 teams are totally irrelevant and have zero chance at a championship, so GTFOH.

It's all about how much you trust your front office to put you in position for 3-4 years from now. If you trust the Sixers over Miami you're deluded.

well look at our young talent and look at yours. its not that hard to see if you take the homer glasses off

TheDish87
07-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Riley is going to retire in the next few seasons, it's Nick Arison and whoever he brings in as the new president who will be getting the ball rolling toward us building a contender.

Of course Miami is in a better position than the Sixers since they have legit established talent and an established market along with young players developing.

Philly has to rebuild both their talent pool and image around the league. I'm sure you guys think that as soon as one or two of your rookie contract players start to shine that every free agent is going to come running to your team, but you will be sadly mistaken. Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, and other young stars continue to not draw any marquee players to join their losing teams even if you have 1 MVP caliber guy locked in long term. That's just not enough now anymore. And with the way contracts are being paid nowadays Noel and Embiid are going to eat half the cap before you realize it and lock you into mediocrity.

if Embiid is earning a max contract then we are in fantastic shape. its not liek you cant go over the cap to keep youre own players

ewing
07-16-2016, 01:04 PM
lol what? none of that is true, but you knew that. What have the Knicks been doing the last half decade then?

the knicks haven't been any good either. Justice, Whiteside, TJ, and Richardson are all young and good. for all the sixers "assets" they cant match that in terms of proven young talent. maybe rookies step forward until then the Heat have you beat.

Do you think as a Knick fan i like the Heat or something? I don't. I wish my franchise was as well run as there's over the last 20 years though and so should you

TheDish87
07-16-2016, 01:37 PM
the knicks haven't been any good either. Justice, Whiteside, TJ, and Richardson are all young and good. for all the sixers "assets" they cant match that in terms of proven young talent. maybe rookies step forward until then the Heat have you beat.

Do you think as a Knick fan i like the Heat or something? I don't. I wish my franchise was as well run as there's over the last 20 years though and so should you

sorry bro but Noel, Simmons, Saric, Embiid, Luwawu, Okafor > Richardson, Winslow, Whiteside, TJ. The heat havent been run all that well, if it werent for the buddy system coming together they would have been swimming in mediocrity the last 6 years.

SeoulBeatz
07-16-2016, 01:39 PM

This is kind of a strange argument though. How are Winslow, Richardson, and Johnson "proven" young talent and Okafor and Noel are not? The only "proven" talent Miami has is Whiteside, and dude is 27, he's no longer a young asset with potential, he's a star in his prime.

Richardson averaged 6.6ppg, 2.1rpg, 1.4apg 11.48 per
Johnson averaged 8.7ppg, 3.0rpg, 2.2apg 13.80 per
Winslow averaged 6.5ppg, 5.2rpg, 1.5apg 8.42 per

Those three have the potential to be very good players in this league, but they haven't shown it yet.
Same can be said for Simmons, Okafor, Noel, Saric, Embiid, and Luwawu.

When it comes to young talented assets, I would say the Sixer's crop of Simmons, Okafor, Noel, Embiid, Saric, and Luwawu is better (and by better I mean has more potential/talent) than Winslow, Johnson, and Richardson. Obviously this all comes down to opinion and we'll have to wait to see this season.

D-Leethal
07-16-2016, 02:03 PM
Or he's laughing that his plan landed them a legit prospect to build with. This was always the logical next step. Keep hating tho, I've seen you struggle to remember moves your own fo did.

You think it's commendable to lose as much as humanly possible for 4 years to end up with nothing but "a legit prospect to build with"?

Which one is the legit prospect - they have basically admitted they don't even know which one of the jammed logs they want to keep. None of them are THAT legit and none of them should ever see the court with the other(s).

D-Leethal
07-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Colangelo basically said Hinkie left them with a conundrum of prospects and they are forced to have to trade 1 or 2 eventually, but their hands are tied because everyone knows they need to dump 1 or 2 of them and they are going to negotiate from a position of weakness as a result. Now they are going into the season with a see-saw lineup consisting of the biggest glut at one end in the league, the biggest trashbin at the other end until a decent deal shows its face to get rid of the glut of precious "seeds of an orchard" that Hinkie is so proud of.

D-Leethal
07-16-2016, 02:09 PM
I can't say Miami's youngins are better than Philly's - Philly has more talented assets but they need to trade 2 of them to balance the roster before they are an impressive young unit like Minnesota or the like. Until they do that its an ugly mismatched glut of young players that won't win any games together. I get ewing's point though - 4 years go by, Miami drafts at the bottom of the barrel, does everything to win at all costs, has one late lottery pick and as the dust settles, their crop of young talent could probably beat the crap out of Philly's "seeds of an orchard" if they played today.

Chronz
07-16-2016, 02:46 PM
You think it's commendable to lose as much as humanly possible for 4 years to end up with nothing but "a legit prospect to build with"?

Which one is the legit prospect - they have basically admitted they don't even know which one of the jammed logs they want to keep. None of them are THAT legit and none of them should ever see the court with the other(s).
I never said thats all they have.... to answer your presumptuous question, I think context matters (my favorite cliche). Rebuilding isn't a 1-way path, every team must look at their remaining assets and future payroll/current standing in the league. Hinkie absolutely did the right thing and if it wasn't for his vision, they wouldn't currently sport the collective assets they have.

Colangelo basically said Hinkie left them with a conundrum of prospects and they are forced to have to trade 1 or 2 eventually, but their hands are tied because everyone knows they need to dump 1 or 2 of them and they are going to negotiate from a position of weakness as a result. Now they are going into the season with a see-saw lineup consisting of the biggest glut at one end in the league, the biggest trashbin at the other end until a decent deal shows its face to get rid of the glut of precious "seeds of an orchard" that Hinkie is so proud of.

Oh what an awful conundrum to be in, those assets still outweigh what he gave up to acquire them. Bostons hands are tied because they have too many assets and the league knows they will have to do a few 2 for 1's as well, its actually quite a luxury to have if you're rebuilding.

Aren't people within the organization talking about how they feel they have 3 potential ROY candidates? All 3 of them were a result of Hinkie's blueprint. If thats not pride I dont know what is, sounds like they believe in their prospects more than you do.

Chronz
07-16-2016, 02:48 PM
I can't say Miami's youngins are better than Philly's - Philly has more talented assets but they need to trade 2 of them to balance the roster before they are an impressive young unit like Minnesota or the like. Until they do that its an ugly mismatched glut of young players that won't win any games together. I get ewing's point though - 4 years go by, Miami drafts at the bottom of the barrel, does everything to win at all costs, has one late lottery pick and as the dust settles, their crop of young talent could probably beat the crap out of Philly's "seeds of an orchard" if they played today.

Yeah, congrats Miami. Enjoy hovering above .500

JasonJohnHorn
07-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Yeah, congrats Miami. Enjoy hovering above .500

That sounds optimistic to me. The lose James, then, Bosh, then Wade. Dragon and Whiteside aren't likely to push that team to .500

beasted86
07-16-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm going to ignore any Miami related off-topic discussion from here on out.

if Embiid is earning a max contract then we are in fantastic shape. its not liek you cant go over the cap to keep youre own players

Timofey Mozgov got paid $16M after averaging 6 PTS and 4 REB. Bismack Biyombo got $18M after averaging 6 PTS and 6 REB. If Embiid gets $22M+ it may not necessarily be because he's really worth it, and it doesn't mean you're in fantastic shape either.

TheDish87
07-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Embiid isnt getting max money unless hes healthy and if hes healthy he is expected to be a top 5 center or better by the time he is up for a deal. We also have arguably the best cap situation going forwars so it will be a non issue if hes consistently healthy over the next two seasons

beasted86
07-16-2016, 07:51 PM
Embiid isnt getting max money unless hes healthy and if hes healthy he is expected to be a top 5 center or better by the time he is up for a deal. We also have arguably the best cap situation going forwars so it will be a non issue if hes consistently healthy over the next two seasons

Well speaking about health, Tyler Johnson played 68 games in his NBA career and got $50M and will be making $19 two years from now.

So go ahead thinking Embiid will for sure be healthy and worth his contract if you wish.

The market has dictated he's a max player by default cause of his age if he's even mediocre. He could continue to be injured over the next 2 seasons off and on, put up 7/7 over a combined 60 games and get a max contract. Trust.

TheDish87
07-16-2016, 09:01 PM
theres a difference though and you know that. With Embiids injury history no team is going to offer him a max if he proceeds to play 60 games the next 2 years, any team, Sixers included would be dumb to take hat kind of long term risk. But luck for us all things point to him being 100% and ready to go right now, just have to manage him right now.

TheDish87
07-16-2016, 09:01 PM
also that TJ deal was among the worst in league this off-season prob only behind Mozgov but the Nets were forced to attempt to over pay whoever they can to protect the picks they have to give up

Vinylman
07-17-2016, 03:29 PM

It's ok dude... It's gonna get a lot worse for miami