PDA

View Full Version : Michael Kopech is throwing 105 mph

Pittz
07-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Casual. Apparently multiple guns read 105.

http://www.overthemonster.com/2016/7/14/12188858/michael-kopech-is-throwing-105-mph-heat

Green_Monster
07-14-2016, 01:42 PM
That's incredible.

j-bay
07-14-2016, 01:49 PM
No doubt the talent is there. Its the stuff like the attitude, injuries, and drug use that concern me.

celticsman2009
07-14-2016, 02:44 PM
I might have now moved on from Espinoza. Kopech clearly has good stuff. If his walks continue to decrease and the attitude is in check, he's a keeper.

j-bay
07-14-2016, 03:03 PM
I might have now moved on from Espinoza. Kopech clearly has good stuff. If his walks continue to decrease and the attitude is in check, he's a keeper.

I'm still not sold on Kopech. Espinoza is only 18 . We havn't seen what he can do. Kopech meanwhile is a ticking time bomb. Anything could happen with this guy. There is a reason why Espinoza is ranked higher. You guys just need to be patient. Unless your 70 or older and on a death bed, you can wait a few years.

TragicallyHip
07-14-2016, 03:33 PM
No doubt the talent is there. Its the stuff like the attitude, injuries, and drug use that concern me.

I'm still not sold on Kopech. Espinoza is only 18 . We havn't seen what he can do. Kopech meanwhile is a ticking time bomb. Anything could happen with this guy. There is a reason why Espinoza is ranked higher. You guys just need to be patient. Unless your 70 or older and on a death bed, you can wait a few years.

Enough with the attitude/makeup and drug use ****!

Kopech was a 19 year old kid and the guy poked had it coming according to a source in this Heyman article (http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/inside-baseball-with-jon-heyman/yankee-intrigue-trade-gap-arod/).

And the drug suspension was from a stimulant that was most likely found in his pre-workout. Was it dumb? Yes, but there's no PED worry from anything I've read about it.

The Sox are incredibly lucky to have 3 potential TOTR power arms coming up in Espinoza, Kopech and hopefully, Groome, this afternoon, as he's in Boston today taking his physical with multiple sources confirming that they are closing in on a deal.

j-bay
07-14-2016, 03:44 PM
Enough with the attitude/makeup and drug use ****!

Kopech was a 19 year old kid and the guy poked had it coming according to a source in this Heyman article (http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/inside-baseball-with-jon-heyman/yankee-intrigue-trade-gap-arod/).

And the drug suspension was from a stimulant that was most likely found in his pre-workout. Was it dumb? Yes, but there's no PED worry from anything I've read about it.

The Sox are incredibly lucky to have 3 potential TOTR power arms coming up in Espinoza, Kopech and hopefully, Groome, this afternoon, as he's in Boston today taking his physical with multiple sources confirming that they are closing in on a deal.

Agreed. At the same time what makes me mad is everybody who loves Kopech seems to be selling Espinoza short. Espinoza will probably be better than Kopech. I know everybody likes his Fastball l, but Espinoza will probably be the better guy. To me its
1.Groome
2.Espinoza
3.Kopech

Groome slightly beats out Espinoza. I look at two pitchers who are going to be very good. The problem with Groome is not his talent. If i had to guess what Groome's problem was, its under age drinking.

celticsman2009
07-14-2016, 03:52 PM
We can wait for all three of these guys to make it to the Big Leagues, but we don't know if they pan out and the team needs a pitcher now. I'm ok standing pat and retaining the top specs, but a lot of people want to move them for pitching. If we move now, I want Fernandez.

1 of Groome, Espinoza and Kopech becomes a TORP and 1 becomes a solid 3. I don't think all three will make the rotation. I hope I'm wrong.

TragicallyHip
07-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Agreed. At the same time what makes me mad is everybody who loves Kopech seems to be selling Espinoza short. Espinoza will probably be better than Kopech. I know everybody likes his Fastball l, but Espinoza will probably be the better guy. To me its
1.Groome
2.Espinoza
3.Kopech

Groome slightly beats out Espinoza. I look at two pitchers who are going to be very good. The problem with Groome is not his talent. If i had to guess what Groome's problem was, its under age drinking.

I don't think anyone is selling Espinoza short. He's got the highest ceiling between he and Kopech. Groome has been touted as the best pitching prospect since Kershaw, so I would say his ceiling is obvious the greatest of the three.

Kopech, to me, with his stuff and aggressive mechanics seems like an obvious candidate for the bullpen eventually, to maximize his stuff and preserve his arm.

j-bay
07-14-2016, 05:33 PM
I don't think anyone is selling Espinoza short. He's got the highest ceiling between he and Kopech. Groome has been touted as the best pitching prospect since Kershaw, so I would say his ceiling is obvious the greatest of the three.

Kopech, to me, with his stuff and aggressive mechanics seems like an obvious candidate for the bullpen eventually, to maximize his stuff and preserve his arm.

The Sox need to tell Kopech to "Take his foot off the gas". No need to limit your career. If he can keep his Fastball at 95-98, then I think he will be set. The Pen idea does seem like a good idea. The worse thing that could happen is that he doesn't become a starter and becomes our next Papelbon.

RedSoxtober
07-18-2016, 03:23 PM

I was more excited about Espinoza than Kopech and a great deal of that had to do with Kopech's off-field issues. I've also suggested that (a) a year of keeping his nose clean and (b) actually pitching his first, full, professional season would be enough to suggest that we're seeing no more than youthful immaturity. If he's thrown lightning bolts in POR/PAW at the end of 2017 then I won't be too worried about him... but I want to see it first.

I think the drug thing is overblown. Call me naive if you want to but I am willing to believe the story that he told. He doesn't get off the hook for being stupid though. Same goes with the hand. I'm a bit less certain about the "he had it coming" story because it took so long to "leak". Were it actually justified then I suspect we'd have heard some planted leak about it much earlier. But, again, "he had it coming" is still not an excuse for being stupid.