PDA

View Full Version : Report: Rival GMs see Celtics as most likely destination for Westbrook

spreadeagle
07-13-2016, 06:03 PM
Russell Westbrook's days in Oklahoma City could be numbered.

According to Bleacher Report's Howard Beck, there's a "strong belief" among rival GMs that Westbrook does not intend to stay with the Thunder after next season, and general manager Sam Presti will look to trade him "sooner rather than later." Should Oklahoma City choose to move the 6-foot-3 point guard, rival GMs believe the Boston Celtics would be the most likely destination for him.

Although almost every team in the league would love to add the All-NBA guard to their roster, few squads have both the talent to acquire Westbrook, and enough left over to convince the UCLA product to stay next summer.

With a core of Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, and the newly added Al Horford in place, Celtics general manager Danny Ainge could conceivably dangle a combination of lottery picks and young talent for a one-year rental of Westbrook.

While the Thunder would undoubtedly prefer to keep Westbrook for next season, they realistically cannot afford to lose another All-NBA player for nothing. http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1058940-report-rival-gms-see-celtics-as-most-likely-destination-for-westbrook

LivinLakers
07-13-2016, 06:09 PM
I think the Celtics have the best pieces that they'd be willing to give up for him. I am just not sure Boston would be the best fit for his personality. But if I were Boston, that is a risk I would be willing to take, as long as they don't give up too much for him.

spreadeagle
07-13-2016, 06:12 PM
I think the Celtics have the best pieces that they'd be willing to give up for him. I am just not sure Boston would be the best fit for his personality. But if I were Boston, that is a risk I would be willing to take, as long as they don't give up too much for him.

My guess would be the Pick they have through Brooklyn next year, Jaylen brown and whoever else to make salaries match

naps
07-13-2016, 06:17 PM
It will probably happen because Danny Ainge will give up way too much to make it happen. Presti is a mastermind and he will rape Ainge on this deal...

LivinLakers
07-13-2016, 06:19 PM
My guess would be the Pick they have through Brooklyn next year, Jaylen brown and whoever else to make salaries match
I think Jerebko, Crowder, and Brown or the pick should be enough. I would personally want to hang onto the pick or Brown if possible. You still need young pieces to add to that core. Unless you get assurances from Westy that he would sign long term, which I doubt he would give anyone.

LivinLakers
07-13-2016, 06:22 PM
It will probably happen because Danny Ainge will give up way too much to make it happen. Presti is a mastermind and he will rape Ainge on this deal...
Why so harsh on Ainge. He has done a pretty good job with gaining and building assets. Most teams don't even have the assets to make a trade for Westy possible.

Green_Monster
07-13-2016, 06:30 PM

I'm genuinely not sure if this is a joke. When's the last time Ainge lost a trade? The reason the Celtics are in this position is because Ainge has won basically every trade since the end of the Big Three era.

lol, please
07-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Yup, just posted about this earlier, but was hesistant to make a thread about it. Curious about FlashBolt's thoughts.

Cal827
07-13-2016, 06:49 PM
Not sure if this is a surprise to anybody. Pretty much any star out there that might be traded is going to be rumored to possibly going to Boston. Boston has an assload of young players, and high draft picks until like 2020 thanks to the Nets. I think any team about to lose a star, would love to hear that they can have multiple top 4 picks along with other young players for the soon to be gone star.

Sacramento should really be calling them, cause there's pretty much no way Cousins will resign there either. A good trade, and their rebuild can be accelerated.

More-Than-Most
07-13-2016, 07:34 PM
This would legit hurt the lakers fans badly... They have westy as a lock to sign.... Hell I had him as a lock to sign there... Going to the celtics would be the ultimate slap in the face.

More-Than-Most
07-13-2016, 07:37 PM
From a thunder stand point it needs to be done.... Personally Id rather do it for a butler plus or a wiggins plus and so on down the list.... Next years draft is deep but there wont really be much of a difference from a top 3 pick and a top 10 pick with no sure fire type stars coming out. I just dont understand why they would choose the celtics? I am not big on any of the celtics young players outside of those picks they have.

Dade County
07-13-2016, 08:23 PM
I think Westbrook either signs with Miami or Lakers next off season (leaning Lakers...But there is a off chance that West doesn't want to stay out West because he knows he won't get pass GS in the next 4yrs).

So, I really don't care what team trades for him during this season.

mrblisterdundee
07-13-2016, 08:26 PM
I would include Isaiah Thomas in any trade for Russell Westbrook, but not Jae Crowder. He's got a little Kawhi Leonard in him. Thomas, Amir Johnson, Jaylen Brown and the 2017 pick should be enough.
That team would be almost level with the Cavaliers. Westbrook gets to be the undisputed alpha on a contender, with Al Horford as beta. Then just let Jae Crowder and Avery Bradley continue getting better.
The Thunder get a scoring machine for at least a couple years, along with a shiny new lottery small forward, a stellar pick in next year's draft and only one more year of paying Johnson $12 million. See what Andre Roberson, Steven Adams, Enes Kanter, Cameron Payne and even Brown can do with larger roles. There's at least a couple really good defenders in there.

RLundi
07-13-2016, 11:47 PM
I think Westbrook either signs with Miami or Lakers next off season (leaning Lakers...But there is a off chance that West doesn't want to stay out West because he knows he won't get pass GS in the next 4yrs).

Why Miami? That team is in shambles. I could see LA because Westy is from there but there is literally no incentive for FAs to go to Miami with an injured Bosh and Whiteside as the best player. Miami had a nice run of luring free agents half a decade ago but it isn't a free agent hotbed anymore.

Players simply don't want to play for the Heat right now.

naps
07-14-2016, 03:34 AM
I'm genuinely not sure if this is a joke. When's the last time Ainge lost a trade? The reason the Celtics are in this position is because Ainge has won basically every trade since the end of the Big Three era.

One reason: 2015 draft desperation for Winslow. Well documented (not a rumor) how much he offered charlotte just get a chance on him, as if he was the next LeBron James. Imagine if Charlotte took that offer.

naps
07-14-2016, 03:36 AM
Why Miami? That team is in shambles. I could see LA because Westy is from there but there is literally no incentive for FAs to go to Miami with an injured Bosh and Whiteside as the best player. Miami had a nice run of luring free agents half a decade ago but it isn't a free agent hotbed anymore.

Either you are not familiar with this guy's post or you're just intentionally being a dick.

PAOboston
07-14-2016, 07:36 AM
One reason: 2015 draft desperation for Winslow. Well documented (not a rumor) how much he offered charlotte just get a chance on him, as if he was the next LeBron James. Imagine if Charlotte took that offer.

You base this on a trade rumor that never materialized?

I'm not sure Presti is the genius everyone makes him out to be. The likelihood is Ainge wins the trade because quite simply, Ainge doesn't really have the history of losing trades. Presti is primarilly the reason why OKC is now a mess. He traded Harden for peanuts, traded for Perkins and then gave Perkins more money than he was worth.

Unless Westbrook agrees to sign an extension as part of the deal (which he won't), not sure how much OKC should expect for a rental of Russell Westbrook.

RLundi
07-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Either you are not familiar with this guy's post or you're just intentionally being a dick.

Definitely not being a dick; nothing I said was untrue.

hugepatsfan
07-14-2016, 08:37 AM

I'm not sure Presti is the genius everyone makes him out to be. The likelihood is Ainge wins the trade because quite simply, Ainge doesn't really have the history of losing trades. Presti is primarilly the reason why OKC is now a mess. He traded Harden for peanuts, traded for Perkins and then gave Perkins more money than he was worth.

Unless Westbrook agrees to sign an extension as part of the deal (which he won't), not sure how much OKC should expect for a rental of Russell Westbrook.

It's pretty well documented. Ainge offered 6 picks including #16 last year (ended up Rozier) and this year's BRK pick (ended up Brown). It's not clear what the rest of the package was but the rumors were it was more filler than top picks. Ainge came out and lol'd at CHA taking Frank the Tank over his offer. He even said he thinks he got caught up and offered too much.

RowBTrice
07-14-2016, 09:17 AM

Lmao oh of course, Miami is a top choice for Westbrook. C'mon, stop with the nonsense.

JOSKOMANG4
07-14-2016, 09:46 AM
3 way trade:

- thunder acquire pf b.griffin, c k.olynyk, g a.bradley.

L: Adams/griffin/ervan/olapido/bradley

- clippers acquire f/c a.johnson, g m.smart, & 2017 nets pick & 2019 celtics pick.

L: Jordan/johnson/pierce/reddick/cp3

- celtics acquire c/f kanter & g r.westbrook.

L: Kanter/horford/crowder/westbrook/thomas

JOSKOMANG4
07-14-2016, 09:49 AM
I honestly believe the Lakers should make the jump to get a deal done now!

3 way trade w/cleveland!

- Cavs acquire C/F Kanter & F J.Randle

L: Kanter/Thompson/James/SHump/Kyrie 6th man: Randle.

- Thunder acquire F Ingram, Russell, & future 1st rd pick.

L; Adams/Ervan/Ingram/Olapido/Russell

- Lakers acquire F/C Love & G Westbrook.

L: Mosgov/Love/Deng/Clarkson/Westbrook.

PAOboston
07-14-2016, 10:06 AM
It's pretty well documented. Ainge offered 6 picks including #16 last year (ended up Rozier) and this year's BRK pick (ended up Brown). It's not clear what the rest of the package was but the rumors were it was more filler than top picks. Ainge came out and lol'd at CHA taking Frank the Tank over his offer. He even said he thinks he got caught up and offered too much.
My point is it didn't happen. Hard to fault someone for a deal that was never made.

Dade County
07-14-2016, 10:21 AM

You feel this way because free agents have stated that they dont want to come to Miami?

Are you upset that Miami next upcoming free agency will still getting meetings & might sign some key free agenrs?
& you cant understand why players will take Miami seriously?

Because your post to me, just screams out, Miami HEAT should just go off somewhere & die. But thats not going to happen, you do know that right? Do you want Miami fans to just post, we are going to suck for the next 5yrs?

Well thats not going to happen. We know are GM doesnt settle for mediocrity. Pat will either tank for the year, so he has a top 5 pick, but get right back at it, trying to create a team that can take down Lbj & GS. Pat isnt going to givr up like other GM. So i dont no what you want from us HEAT fans.

Dade County
07-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Lmao oh of course, Miami is a top choice for Westbrook. C'mon, stop with the nonsense.

So i say Miami & not incert team here & its nonsense? I also mentioned the Lakers.

Once again, i dont care what teams trade for him, it doesnt mean he will sign with then during the off season. Westbrook will still hold meetings & pick the team he wants to play for.

Let me guess, someone will have a problem with this.

Green_Monster
07-14-2016, 10:43 AM
So i say Miami & not incert team here & its nonsense? I also mentioned the Lakers.

Once again, i dont care what teams trade for him, it doesnt mean he will sign with then during the off season. Westbrook will still hold meetings & pick the team he wants to play for.

Let me guess, someone will have a problem with this.

It is because you say that every big FA will sign with Miami. "Pat will get it done because he's so amazing." People just get sick of hearing that stuff especially after you were so sure they'd sign Durant and they missed out. It's just annoying reading that garbage all the time.

Slug3
07-14-2016, 11:05 AM
It is because you say that every big FA will sign with Miami. "Pat will get it done because he's so amazing." People just get sick of hearing that stuff especially after you were so sure they'd sign Durant and they missed out. It's just annoying reading that garbage all the time.

I never really thought we would get KD, I thought for awhile it would be between Washington and OKC and then OKC and GS. I didn't really think we were a player in that one.

But we could have some decent cap space next year to possibly get Westbrook and perhaps another big player depending on Bosh's health so who knows. If Miami did somehow get Westbrook then I am sure they will trade Dragic then, but not sure for what.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Yea its just after what happened with dwade I think most FA will stay clear of mia for awhile ... not to mention there team isn't attractive anymore for FA like it was before.

But time will tell who is right and wrong

warfelg
07-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Yea its just after what happened with dwade I think most FA will stay clear of mia for awhile ... not to mention there team isn't attractive anymore for FA like it was before.

I doubt they steer clear. But they likely enter with more questions about it than before hand have them lower down the list.

Slug3
07-14-2016, 02:54 PM

Yeah because I saw a flood of free agents flock to the Lakers after giving Kobe that big thank you contract.

Dallas seems like they almost can't get anyone these last 2 year for no reason.

Nobody is going to care what happened between Wade and Miami. If Miami has space (or any other team really) for 2 big free agents to team up and they want to then they will still look at Miami.

naps
07-14-2016, 02:57 PM

Like I said it was not a rumor. So yeah you have no clue. It was not a rumor. Danny Ainge himself later said it was good in retrospect that his offer was not accepted.

And Presti is an absolute genius. Dont kid yourself. It's easy to look back and criticize. When he got Perkins in OKC, everyone said it was the missing piece. Presti sees everything before it happens. He is always one step ahead. Pretty sure he had a good feel about Durant's intentions by season's end and he didnt wait to swing Ibaka for young assets for the next phase. You just dont trade a player of Westy's caliber, but he cant take that risk 2 years in a row, so if he feels Westy is a goner then he will make sure he has young assets in return, and a plenty of them.

Dade County
07-14-2016, 03:00 PM

Everything was fine until you said "garbage" lol

What would you like me to write? Miami isnt getting anyone ever? What Riley did to Wade, no free agent will ever sign here again & they should just clise up shop & relocate?

Let me know & i'll write it.

naps
07-14-2016, 03:07 PM
Definitely not being a dick; nothing I said was untrue.

Yes most of what you said was untrue. You sound pretty hurt for some weird reason. Everyone is familiar with Dade County's posts here. He thinks NBA is rigged and he thinks Pat is getting every single free agents. You seem to take it too seriously and vent your anger of being the small brother of the state that never wins anything.

Green_Monster
07-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Everything was fine until you said "garbage" lol

What would you like me to write? Miami isnt getting anyone ever? What Riley did to Wade, no free agent will ever sign here again & they should just clise up shop & relocate?

Let me know & i'll write it.

If you don't go into literally every thread about potential big name FA's or trades saying they're going to Miami, I think people would be happy.

You make out Pat Riley to be a god when he hasn't done anything recently. The big three was all the players, not Riley.

RLundi
07-14-2016, 03:40 PM
Yes most of what you said was untrue. You sound pretty hurt for some weird reason. Everyone is familiar with Dade County's posts here. He thinks NBA is rigged and he thinks Pat is getting every single free agents. You seem to take it too seriously and vent your anger of being the small brother of the state that never wins anything.

I'm not interested in his rationale or conspiracy theories. I'm interested in his post. He thinks the NBA is rigged, cool. What does that have to do with actuality and realism? Nothing. On the other hand, in actuality, realistically-speaking, Miami missed out on Durant and lost Deng and Wade. I'm sure it would have been very "rigged" for Pat to form another super-team. Didn't happen.

Next year, Westbrook has absolutely no incentive for signing with a team that offers him nothing. He can either a) get more money elsewhere; b) be on a team contending for a championship; c) play in his hometown; or d) start over in a megapolis and have that city to himself. None of those situations equate to Miami. None.

So like I said and stand by, because Bosh is a huge question mark, because top free agents all but ignored Miami this summer, and because the team got significantly worse this offseason with key departures and is now in shambles, there is no incentive for top free agents to sign in Miami and players will not want to play for the Heat right now. It appears that YOU are the one hurt.

As for your delusions of grandeur, "smaller brother"? Really? Grow up man. You're just angry that I say nothing but truth and your outlet is to resort to some pigheaded level of immaturity while ignoring the facts I clearly listed above.

Sportsguy9695
07-14-2016, 03:43 PM
not a shocker here. the Celtics have the perfect team for him. there really young so he would be a great fit

RLundi
07-14-2016, 04:04 PM
You feel this way because free agents have stated that they dont want to come to Miami?

I feel this way because of this summer. And I feel even more so because Miami is no longer a top playoff contender. Top free agents are going to teams that will compete for a championship. With the Heat losing Wade, Bosh most likely, Deng, and missing out on Durant, they might not even compete for a playoff spot, let alone a championship.

Are you upset that Miami next upcoming free agency will still getting meetings & might sign some key free agenrs?
& you cant understand why players will take Miami seriously?

I'm not upset at all. Miami might very well get meetings in free agency. But what is the incentive for players to sign there? Please don't say Pat Riley.

Because your post to me, just screams out, Miami HEAT should just go off somewhere & die. But thats not going to happen, you do know that right? Do you want Miami fans to just post, we are going to suck for the next 5yrs?

I think you're being incredibly emotional and reading way into something that isn't there lol. You can say whatever you like, but it doesn't change the truth. Why are you and Naps making everything about sentiment? Why do you take things so personally? It's kind of sad to be honest. It appears that you both are hurt about the plight of Miami's offseason. I understand, you lost the best and most loved player in franchise history and missed out on a cornerstone with Durant. You have every reason to be upset, but please don't take the truth in a negative way. I have nothing against Miami whatsoever, never have. Why would I? I only speak the truth.

Well thats not going to happen. We know are GM doesnt settle for mediocrity. Pat will either tank for the year, so he has a top 5 pick, but get right back at it, trying to create a team that can take down Lbj & GS. Pat isnt going to givr up like other GM. So i dont no what you want from us HEAT fans.

I think it's a great idea to tank. I don't doubt Pat's abilities but this hero worship has gone on long enough. Pat is a decent GM, nothing more. LeBron, Wade, and Bosh orchestrated the summer of 2010, not Riley. So acting as if he's a savior of some sort and players will automatically line up to play for him is immensely gullible, short-sighted and delusional. The Heat haven't been in the mix for top free agents because of him, they've been in the mix DESPITE him. And now, he's managed to alienate Wade and LeBron and probably Bosh once Miami refuses to let him play. It's all about winning, and when the team is no longer winning or in a position to compete for a ring, top free agents ignore you. That's just the way it goes. Pat Riley can't change that.

naps
07-14-2016, 04:52 PM
I'm not interested in his rationale or conspiracy theories. I'm interested in his post. He thinks the NBA is rigged, cool. What does that have to do with actuality and realism? Nothing. On the other hand, in actuality, realistically-speaking, Miami missed out on Durant and lost Deng and Wade. I'm sure it would have been very "rigged" for Pat to form another super-team. Didn't happen.

Next year, Westbrook has absolutely no incentive for signing with a team that offers him nothing. He can either a) get more money elsewhere; b) be on a team contending for a championship; c) play in his hometown; or d) start over in a megapolis and have that city to himself. None of those situations equate to Miami. None.

So like I said and stand by, because Bosh is a huge question mark, because top free agents all but ignored Miami this summer, and because the team got significantly worse this offseason with key departures and is now in shambles, there is no incentive for top free agents to sign in Miami and players will not want to play for the Heat right now. It appears that YOU are the one hurt.

As for your delusions of grandeur, "smaller brother"? Really? Grow up man. You're just angry that I say nothing but truth and your outlet is to resort to some pigheaded level of immaturity while ignoring the facts I clearly listed above.

Well FA are extremely interested in Miami as evident by people sitting with them for hours with them even though they had literally no chance financially last two summers. They could have kept Wade and be in the same place as a second round team as they were this past year, but they are unlike 95% of the teams, that are not satisfied being just a playoff team. They wanted to have actual financial flexibility and develop this amazing core young players they have for a year or two. I dont know about Westbrook but all I know is that players will flock to Miami like birds as free agents or through trades once they have enough money to offer and the young guys get some more experience under their belt. Players want to be in a winning culture and in a city they like to live in and get their money at the same time. Very few teams can check all three boxes and Miami is one of them.

Dade County
07-14-2016, 05:51 PM
If you don't go into literally every thread about potential big name FA's or trades saying they're going to Miami, I think people would be happy.

You make out Pat Riley to be a god when he hasn't done anything recently. The big three was all the players, not Riley.

I understand your point... But i do not think that Pat is a god. He's only human.

Dade County
07-14-2016, 05:58 PM
I feel this way because of this summer. And I feel even more so because Miami is no longer a top playoff contender. Top free agents are going to teams that will compete for a championship. With the Heat losing Wade, Bosh most likely, Deng, and missing out on Durant, they might not even compete for a playoff spot, let alone a championship.

I'm not upset at all. Miami might very well get meetings in free agency. But what is the incentive for players to sign there? Please don't say Pat Riley.

I think you're being incredibly emotional and reading way into something that isn't there lol. You can say whatever you like, but it doesn't change the truth. Why are you and Naps making everything about sentiment? Why do you take things so personally? It's kind of sad to be honest. It appears that you both are hurt about the plight of Miami's offseason. I understand, you lost the best and most loved player in franchise history and missed out on a cornerstone with Durant. You have every reason to be upset, but please don't take the truth in a negative way. I have nothing against Miami whatsoever, never have. Why would I? I only speak the truth.

I think it's a great idea to tank. I don't doubt Pat's abilities but this hero worship has gone on long enough. Pat is a decent GM, nothing more. LeBron, Wade, and Bosh orchestrated the summer of 2010, not Riley. So acting as if he's a savior of some sort and players will automatically line up to play for him is immensely gullible, short-sighted and delusional. The Heat haven't been in the mix for top free agents because of him, they've been in the mix DESPITE him. And now, he's managed to alienate Wade and LeBron and probably Bosh once Miami refuses to let him play. It's all about winning, and when the team is no longer winning or in a position to compete for a ring, top free agents ignore you. That's just the way it goes. Pat Riley can't change that.

All this for me?:rolleyes:

Dade County
07-14-2016, 06:05 PM

RLundi
07-14-2016, 06:14 PM

You're right, you're hardly worth it.

Would you have preferred a box of tissue? Or tampons?

Dade County
07-14-2016, 07:40 PM
You're right, you're hardly worth it.

Would you have preferred a box of tissue? Or tampons?

Somebody Hot... Lmao!!!

Man, keep believeing in your team. Keep believeing Boston will land a star player. More power to you.

But you got one thing wrong, i think you are the one thats bothered by this topic & from your post, i can tell that you are very emotional about your team and there is nothing wrong with that.

Its a good thing. It shows that you care & you really want Boston to be relevant.

I just see the bigger picture. A GM has to build another super team, to beat GS & the Cavs. & i only trust one GM to take on that task.

But since i think Pat is up to the challenge, all i get is hate.

RLundi
07-14-2016, 08:42 PM
Somebody Hot... Lmao!!!

Man, keep believeing in your team. Keep believeing Boston will land a star player. More power to you.

But you got one thing wrong, i think you are the one thats bothered by this topic & from your post, i can tell that you are very emotional about your team and there is nothing wrong with that.

Its a good thing. It shows that you care & you really want Boston to be relevant.

I just see the bigger picture. A GM has to build another super team, to beat GS & the Cavs. & i only trust one GM to take on that task.

But since i think Pat is up to the challenge, all i get is hate.

I'm not a Celtics fan lol. I'm a Magic fan. So I have absolutely no stake in Westbrook. Like I said, I'm just speaking facts. I have no reason to be emotional. But you do. So I'll apologize if I hurt you. Meant nothing by it. Cheers.

warfelg
07-14-2016, 08:45 PM
I can't wait for the Sixers to get Westbrook and we make you all our ***** for the next decade plus :guns:

lol, please
07-14-2016, 09:58 PM
3 pages deep and Flashbolt hasn't even posted yet. Kinda surprised to be honest.

Dade County
07-14-2016, 10:43 PM
I can't wait for the Sixers to get Westbrook and we make you all our ***** for the next decade plus :guns:

Are you talking about teams in the East? We all know some GM out there is going to have to build a power house to take down GS.

Maybe a team of, AD, Cp3, Lbj & 2 shooters.

MELO 15
07-14-2016, 10:51 PM
Celtics could have all the pieces and draft picks that they want to offer the thunder, But if Westbrook doesn't want to sign a long term deal there than the trade will not go through. Right now from what I'm reading, Westbrook's preferable destination would be the Lakers, and Knicks & I'm not sure he would want to go to the Lakers because the lakers would have to trade one or two of there core players in Ingram and Russell. That would leave the lakers nowhere near contention, especially out west. Now with the knicks, they have Rose who if Healthy, and that's a BIG IF, is like a westbrook type of player, and the knicks would give up probably the next couple of first round picks along with the fact that he likes porzingod as a player, and last but not least, he will be playing in the east! Which is an easier path to get to the finals than it would the west, the only team the Knicks would have to worry about would be the Cavs. And for all who say that he would be playing with Melo who doesn't like to pass the ball, hasn't been watching Knicks games, and why would you, we weren't good. But Knicks fans who have paid attention would tell you that Melo has become a willing passer, and has become a better team player. A line up of Westbrook, C. Lee, Melo, KP6, & Noah, along with a bench of Brandon Jennings, Lance Thomas, Justin Holiday, Oquinn, would give the Cavs a run for there Money, Am I saying they would beat the Cavs? No! That team would give the Cavs all they can handle!

hugepatsfan
07-15-2016, 09:58 AM
A lot of smoke with BOS but at the end of the day I expect no fire. It just doesn't make sense for them to give up the package it takes to acquire a star right now. If some type of creative situation or unique opportunity like LAC having an unreasonable love of Rudy Gay that opens up a 3-way possibility with Blake (that's a funny sentence) or Westbrook's price plummeting because he's expiring then you gotta capitalize. But short of that, it doesn't make sense right now.

warfelg
07-15-2016, 10:45 AM
A lot of smoke with BOS but at the end of the day I expect no fire. It just doesn't make sense for them to give up the package it takes to acquire a star right now. If some type of creative situation or unique opportunity like LAC having an unreasonable love of Rudy Gay that opens up a 3-way possibility with Blake (that's a funny sentence) or Westbrook's price plummeting because he's expiring then you gotta capitalize. But short of that, it doesn't make sense right now.

Actually the holding part is Ainge refusing to part with either Nets pick.

And honestly, a deal for any star player will not get done if he won't include at least one of them.

Chronz
07-15-2016, 10:49 AM
It will make even less sense as the season develops, if it doesn't happen in the off-season its not going to happen for Boston. You need to sell these guys on retaining their bird rights+the city in order to retain them, I dont think half a season would do that.

I honestly expect the Clips to shoot up the power ranks once the season rolls bye, San Antonio declines and fights off the Jazz for the 3rd seed.

hugepatsfan
07-15-2016, 10:57 AM
It doesn't make sense this year at all - now or in season. Next offseason is when they should be in good position to take a leap. And if they strike out then they need to go in the other direction.

They have a small window to capitalize because it's tough to go from the middling team they are to a true contender. If they get over anxious and splurge now they'll be stuck as a better but still middling team forever.

Next year they'll have max cap space in a pretty strong FA class. They'll have what should be a very high pick in a great draft. They'll have pieces to trade off their roster with salaries that make deals match. If they go for it now then they get one star but they'll have no pick, no cap space for a real FA and be down many of their tradable assets. They'll have no means of building around that player they acquire. It's not suicide but it's cutting your leg off. You'll just be stuck flopping on the middle ground forever.

Vee-Rex
07-15-2016, 11:10 AM
Celtics could have all the pieces and draft picks that they want to offer the thunder, But if Westbrook doesn't want to sign a long term deal there than the trade will not go through. Right now from what I'm reading, Westbrook's preferable destination would be the Lakers, and Knicks & I'm not sure he would want to go to the Lakers because the lakers would have to trade one or two of there core players in Ingram and Russell. That would leave the lakers nowhere near contention, especially out west. Now with the knicks, they have Rose who if Healthy, and that's a BIG IF, is like a westbrook type of player, and the knicks would give up probably the next couple of first round picks along with the fact that he likes porzingod as a player, and last but not least, he will be playing in the east! Which is an easier path to get to the finals than it would the west, the only team the Knicks would have to worry about would be the Cavs. And for all who say that he would be playing with Melo who doesn't like to pass the ball, hasn't been watching Knicks games, and why would you, we weren't good. But Knicks fans who have paid attention would tell you that Melo has become a willing passer, and has become a better team player. A line up of Westbrook, C. Lee, Melo, KP6, & Noah, along with a bench of Brandon Jennings, Lance Thomas, Justin Holiday, Oquinn, would give the Cavs a run for there Money, Am I saying they would beat the Cavs? No! That team would give the Cavs all they can handle!

I'm a big fan of what Melo has done this past year with getting his teammates involved. I hope Rose performs better and Porzingis takes a big leap so that the Knicks can be a playoff team. I dislike Noah so hopefully he keeps being the trash player that he is right now.

hugepatsfan
07-15-2016, 11:23 AM
Actually the holding part is Ainge refusing to part with either Nets pick.

And honestly, a deal for any star player will not get done if he won't include at least one of them.

I'd have to see the whole package to say for sure but in general I agree with that. I'm glad he's exploring options but like you said it won't get done without the pick(s). I'm pretty unwilling to trade the '17 pick because I think showing some patience with that could pay off huge dividends.

If he's making the '18 pick "untouchable" though then that's over-valuing IMO. That shouldn't be untouchable. Obviously once again I'd need to see the whole package but that shouldn't be an off the table asset.

hugepatsfan
07-15-2016, 11:51 AM
I also think it's important to note that I'm not saying these stars aren't worth the packages people are bringing up. Westbrook is worth a haul. So are Blake/Butler/Cousins. They're worth the packages people are mentioning but what I'm talking about is the bigger picture beyond just the deal. The reality is that with GS doing what they did BOS is more than one star away from competing. Heck, one star doesn't even make us the favorite over CLE in the East. So if we drain any ability we have to get another one than what's the point?

Chronz
07-15-2016, 12:13 PM
It doesn't make sense this year at all - now or in season. Next offseason is when they should be in good position to take a leap. And if they strike out then they need to go in the other direction.

They have a small window to capitalize because it's tough to go from the middling team they are to a true contender. If they get over anxious and splurge now they'll be stuck as a better but still middling team forever.

Next year they'll have max cap space in a pretty strong FA class. They'll have what should be a very high pick in a great draft. They'll have pieces to trade off their roster with salaries that make deals match. If they go for it now then they get one star but they'll have no pick, no cap space for a real FA and be down many of their tradable assets. They'll have no means of building around that player they acquire. It's not suicide but it's cutting your leg off. You'll just be stuck flopping on the middle ground forever.

Sounds like you dont trust management to do the easy part after acquiring the stars. I dont know of many teams that were built entirely the way you envision but good luck to ya, you'll be among the many suitors with nothing much different to offer save for no bird rights.

Chronz
07-15-2016, 12:17 PM
I also think it's important to note that I'm not saying these stars aren't worth the packages people are bringing up. Westbrook is worth a haul. So are Blake/Butler/Cousins. They're worth the packages people are mentioning but what I'm talking about is the bigger picture beyond just the deal. The reality is that with GS doing what they did BOS is more than one star away from competing. Heck, one star doesn't even make us the favorite over CLE in the East. So if we drain any ability we have to get another one than what's the point?

Im guessing acquiring the stars to compete in the first place would be the point, you're essentially minimizing your odds at even landing 1 much less 2 by waiting IMO. Im hearing that the talks never heated up, just rumors .

We'll see what Ainge does but I get the feeling hes fine just rebuilding through the draft and hoping he finds a star of his own eventually.

warfelg
07-15-2016, 12:30 PM

It's all part of the Boston conundrum isn't it?

Acquiring a star takes a lot of assets to make happen, but would it take so many assets at this point that Boston would be left without great depth. And would it even be enough.

Ultimately it might make more sense to wait until we are in the season.

If this came up before the end of the moratorium, and they could have gotten a deal for a star, then a young up and coming player cheaper, then used the remaining cap to pay some role players.

5ass
07-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Im guessing acquiring the stars to compete in the first place would be the point, you're essentially minimizing your odds at even landing 1 much less 2 by waiting IMO. Im hearing that the talks never heated up, just rumors .

We'll see what Ainge does but I get the feeling hes fine just rebuilding through the draft and hoping he finds a star of his own eventually.

Your sig should have KD crying and saying "you da real MVPs" lol

hugepatsfan
07-15-2016, 01:16 PM
Sounds like you dont trust management to do the easy part after acquiring the stars. I dont know of many teams that were built entirely the way you envision but good luck to ya, you'll be among the many suitors with nothing much different to offer save for no bird rights.

It depends on the package. We need to get two stars to compete. IT/Horford are 3/4 n title teams and maybe even a 4/5 or even 5/6 with what GS just pulled off. So if we have to give up so much that it means we have to pull another star out of thin air then it's not worth it. I believe it would take that type of package to get a Blake/Cousins/Butler/Westbrook. I don't see how pulling another star out of thin air is the "easy part".

If we can make a deal work where we have enough assets left - be it any combination of picks/cap/players - that there's a reasonable shot at getting a star then so be it. But there's huge risk that Blake/Westbrook would bolt for a team that already has that in place rather than just the flexibility to find one. We can't ignore that. As I said earlier I'd be willing to give up a king's ransom for Cousins because you have some time to get the other piece(s) in place before he can leave and he's cheap enough salary wise that it helps facilitate that process. If it makes sense in the bigger picture then sign me up.

CardinalRed24
07-15-2016, 01:28 PM
I really hope this is true. I need my Lakers to stayyy awayyy... Far, far away

Bruno
07-15-2016, 08:02 PM
i agree. but man it would be fun to see Cleveland. the finals would be nuts.