PDA

View Full Version : Create 3 Rules Changes

flea
07-13-2016, 12:09 AM
Everyone's got a gripe about how the modern NBA is officiated. If you could change 3 rules, what would they be and how do you think this would benefit gameplay overall? Here are mine:

1) Re-instate hand-checking. Call the game on the perimeter more like it's called in the post. A big reason the post game is lessened (in addition to not having skilled post players in the NBA) is that the set of rules used for bigs in the post are different than for guards. If the NBA wants to call a finesse game on the perimeter, they should do it in the post. It decreases the P&R and slashing game of quick guards, but it helps bring back post-ups and midrange guard games (more skill aspects of basketball). I would place emphasis on off-ball foul calls too - no more ticky-tack handcheck calls on shooters just to let them roam free. This ain't the Harlem Globetrotters League.

2) Eliminate defensive 3 second calls. Let teams play a full zone if they want to - nobody calls these honestly anyway. This would also help bring back midrange and post games, as a good rim protector could make the slashing game much more difficult on the weak side while simultaneously keeping men off the 3. Blocked shots are youtube/ESPN highlight worthy too, this would increase that.

3) Revamp the foul/bonus situation so that you foul out at 5 (like college) and enter the bonus on the 7th foul (like college does for halves) but offensive fouls do count towards the team total (unlike current NBA rules) and there is no 1+1 (unlike college). Eliminate the 2 team fouls in the last 2 minutes rules, it's ******** and makes no sense - it only serves to reward coaches/players who can't manage a game and people who like to watch FT contests.

I think my 3rd rule change, along with the current rules for shooters and screeners which I wouldn't change, would help balance the first 2 that help defense. It would unquestionably help bigs and wings overall, but there would still be a place for the Currys and Lillards in the league to navigate screens and shoot away - they just wouldn't be able to get into the paint at will like they're prime Wade.

So what's your changes? Or do you think the NBA is perfect? I do think it's kind of odd, and I'm sure NBA old-timers do too, that the college game is so much more physical than the NBA now.

Scoots
07-13-2016, 12:51 AM
Add a 4th ref. 2 refs work baseline to top of the 3 point line extended, the other 2 refs work the opposite. Shorter to run and having 2 start ahead of the players means fast break fouls will be called better. 2nd set of eyes means the back ref won't be looking down at an offensive players feet to see if it's a 3 while a defender is raking the shooter ... there will be another pair of eyes there to see. Illegal screens up high (like the Warriors run so often) will have a 2nd angle to catch the infractions.

Put an emphasis on calling offensive players on creating contact either being no calls or offensive fouls rather than defensive fouls.

Don't change how the game is played in the playoffs.

None of those are actually rules but rather changing the way the current rules are enforced.

Scoots
07-13-2016, 12:56 AM
Eliminating the 3 second rule means Rudy Gobert can literally just stand in front of the rim with his hands up and scoring action around the basket will drop a LOT. The point of the paint and the 3 second rule was to make the post bigs have to make a move and make it harder for the defender to stay between them and the rim. If the defender doesn't have to move then Gheorghe Muresan will be as good a rim defender as Tim Duncan.

More-Than-Most
07-13-2016, 12:59 AM
Flop 2 times and you get suspended 1 game.

A persons body is their own weapon and they need to be able to control themselves.... No more accidental kicks to the nuts... Auto 1 game suspension. Not at all even saying Dray did it on purpose but players are way to loose with their bodies and players should be held accountable if they cant control themselves.

Allow hand checking.

Scoots
07-13-2016, 01:30 AM
Flop 2 times and you get suspended 1 game.

A persons body is their own weapon and they need to be able to control themselves.... No more accidental kicks to the nuts... Auto 1 game suspension. Not at all even saying Dray did it on purpose but players are way to loose with their bodies and players should be held accountable if they cant control themselves.

Allow hand checking.

I think that goes into what I said about offensive players creating contact. I saw a youtube clip of a bunch of jump balls and the ref got kicked by both jumping players every time. I think it's normal for people to kick your legs out when you are doing some things, so tough to officiate.

Having been a BIG NBA fan in the 90s I don't mind the outside hand-checking being gone. It got pretty insane at times, and there really is still some hand checking that doesn't get called now. It's not a contact sport and hand checking was outlawed in part because it was becoming wrestling. Also there is a long history to adding rules that favor smaller players because they want a mix.

I wonder what in the high school/AAU/NCAA games has caused the lack of development of big men. Is it just coaching? Is it that all bigs want to shoot and handle the ball? Is it all Magic's fault? :)

And I'm all for the flop rule. But the player suspended should have to come out just before the tip off and say "I'm sorry folks but I flopped too many times and I was suspended", then go watch the game from the spotlit designated pink floppers seat with a dunce cap on.

More-Than-Most
07-13-2016, 01:57 AM
I think that goes into what I said about offensive players creating contact. I saw a youtube clip of a bunch of jump balls and the ref got kicked by both jumping players every time. I think it's normal for people to kick your legs out when you are doing some things, so tough to officiate.

Having been a BIG NBA fan in the 90s I don't mind the outside hand-checking being gone. It got pretty insane at times, and there really is still some hand checking that doesn't get called now. It's not a contact sport and hand checking was outlawed in part because it was becoming wrestling. Also there is a long history to adding rules that favor smaller players because they want a mix.

I wonder what in the high school/AAU/NCAA games has caused the lack of development of big men. Is it just coaching? Is it that all bigs want to shoot and handle the ball? Is it all Magic's fault? :)

And I'm all for the flop rule. But the player suspended should have to come out just before the tip off and say "I'm sorry folks but I flopped too many times and I was suspended", then go watch the game from the spotlit designated pink floppers seat with a dunce cap on.

100 percent agreed as well in terms of the offense jumping into the defense... **** is so annoying and disgusting. Defender goes up and down but an iverson jumps into the defender and its a foul on the defender... Harden is the current best example of that dumb ****.

Jeffy25
07-13-2016, 02:33 AM

Will this game ever have another Shaq/Hakeem 25 PPG+ big man?

Saddletramp
07-13-2016, 02:35 AM
Add a 4th ref. 2 refs work baseline to top of the 3 point line extended, the other 2 refs work the opposite. Shorter to run and having 2 start ahead of the players means fast break fouls will be called better. 2nd set of eyes means the back ref won't be looking down at an offensive players feet to see if it's a 3 while a defender is raking the shooter ... there will be another pair of eyes there to see. Illegal screens up high (like the Warriors run so often) will have a 2nd angle to catch the infractions.

Put an emphasis on calling offensive players on creating contact either being no calls or offensive fouls rather than defensive fouls.

Don't change how the game is played in the playoffs.

None of those are actually rules but rather changing the way the current rules are enforced.

I only got to the second post and I'm already co-signing on what Scoots said. 100%

Chronz
07-13-2016, 09:42 AM
Adding a 4th ref and a designated replay crew in the actual arena or at the least, give those guys up in Secaucus immediate veto power. It really shouldn't take as long as it does this will speed up the flow of the game because my next rule is going to slow it down abit.

Give Coaches 2 flags to throw down a game and charge them a timeout if they're wrong

PhillyFaninLA
07-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Rule 1 - lottery

if you win the lottery you can not pick number 1 again for 3 years, 2nd pick means 2 years, 3rd pick means 1 year...picks in the top 3 cannot be traded

Rule 2 - hard cap with no salary minimums or maximums, no larry bird rights, effective 5 years after approved (to let teams get cap in a better place prior)

Rule 3 - no advertisements on jerseys, arena floor (the actual court only), no advertisements on ball or backboard

Tony_Starks
07-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Rule 1- lottery. the worst 4 teams can only improve to a 1% chance of getting the #1 pick over each other, regardless of record. So even if you commit a Hinkie and you're some 15 games worse than the next horrible team if you have a 25% chance they still have a 24% shot.

That would kill the race to see who can tank the hardest.

Rule 2- Zone, do away with it.

Rule 3- reviews in the last 2 minutes of quarters include fouls too i.e. if they are reviewing a out of bounds call and see upon review there was a blatant foul they missed they can call it.

Chronz
07-13-2016, 10:52 AM
Green balls

kdspurman
07-13-2016, 10:54 AM
Adding a 4th ref and a designated replay crew in the actual arena or at the least, give those guys up in Secaucus immediate veto power. It really shouldn't take as long as it does this will speed up the flow of the game because my next rule is going to slow it down abit.

Give Coaches 2 flags to throw down a game and charge them a timeout if they're wrong

This is 1 I've been wanting to see.

mavwar53
07-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Call off the ball fouls the same as on the ball, needs to be a rule because apparently it isn't.

Scoots
07-13-2016, 11:20 AM
It's funny that most of us are not suggesting rule changes but officiating changes, procedural changes, and team building changes.

In no particular order, just using numbers as reference:

1. On if the game will have a 25+ppg big man ... KD is 7' tall and does that. The Modern big man apparently. The increased pace means big men are being left behind some, but with Simmons being the point in Philly and bringing the ball up on fast breaks like Draymond does in Oakland skilled big men will score points, it's just the back to the basket 10 second post action that is gone and not likely to come back anytime soon.

2. Replay. I don't know that there is a way to make replay fast. I do think we could improve officiating with a couple dedicated video officials (doesn't matter where they are) and give the head ref a pager so they can let him know what they are seeing as hints and potentially call remote fouls to be officiated live in game ... like the ref feels his hip buzz and he blows his whistle. Anything to make the game better, but I don't want it slower.

3. On reducing the number of fouls to foul out. That's a quandry because some of the fouls called will be "bad" calls and nobody wants to see stars foul out of games more often. But at the same time, there is too much fouling going on. I don't think we can reduce the number of fouls too soon considering our other rules enforcement changes are going to increase the number of fouls given out. Maybe take longer to get into the bonus though just to keep the game moving.

4. Lottery changes. The lottery has changed several times since it was started and I've watched every draft from the first with the lottery. The system we have now is as good as it's been. The same team getting the top pick multiple times in a 3 year span is not really a problem statistically, and the last time it happened they changed the odds to what they are now because it used to be easier. If what you are really talking about is dissuading teams from tanking I think a better way to do it is to not allow owners to attend more games than their team won the previous year if they get a top 5 pick ... the teams are playthings for their owners and not letting them be at the arena would drive them nuts.

5. Hard cap. It doesn't matter. The players will get the same money, the better front offices will do a better job and still win. The purpose for the soft cap is to help the small market teams or the teams not spending over the tax line while encouraging fiscal responsibility because the tax penalties are split by the teams under the cap. I think the current system makes sense but it hasn't had enough time to settle in yet being only 3 years old.

6. Max contracts. Sure do away with them. Historically the teams that suffered the most when there was no max were the worst teams. The best teams managed to get players and build a team for less money anyhow. The NBA knows that player continuity is important to keeping fans interested so the system is slanted to help teams keep their players. If there is no max contract then this year the Lakers could offer LeBron $75M a year and the show would get a LOT worse for everyone.

7. Minimum contracts. I see no reason to do away with minimum contracts. Players see pay as a measure of respect. It's already rough on some of them that rookies get more then they do. The NBA makes a LOT of money and requiring teams to pay a 10 year vet who is in the top 1% of his vocation $1.5M a year is not at all outrageous, particularly considering the money owners take home.

8. Zone ... we have one person saying we should allow full zone and another saying do away with it. Do you want to bring back the illegal defense/illegal offense rules too? Allowing the zone has had the greatest influx of new ideas and systems into the game in the last 40 years, and getting rid of all of the illegal defense calls because Scottie Pippen went to double someone but stopped and turned back 2 feet too far away from the offensive player I don't miss. Keep the zone ... it's not really used that much anyhow.

Scoots
07-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Call off the ball fouls the same as on the ball, needs to be a rule because apparently it isn't.

Right now in the last 2 minutes of every quarter if a player is fouled off the ball they get 1 FT and possession. You want all fouls called that way? James Harden would love it! It would be like juggling ... get fouled take a FT, get the ball, get fouled, take a FT, get the ball, get fouled, take a FT ... the game ends 58-0 with one team never having had possession :)

Or are you saying that it's the off-the-ball fouls that should be treated like regular fouls and 2 FT and the ball goes to the other team ... because that's the way it used to be until they tried to stop hack-a-shaq.

R. Johnson#3
07-13-2016, 12:30 PM
1. Re-evaluate the charge rule and bring it back to the way it was. I see charges called today that are flat out ridiculous. Feet planted and contact taken square in the chest.

2. Eliminate the restricted area.

3. Make overtime 4 on 4.

Scoots
07-13-2016, 01:15 PM
1. Re-evaluate the charge rule and bring it back to the way it was. I see charges called today that are flat out ridiculous. Feet planted and contact taken square in the chest.

2. Eliminate the restricted area.

3. Make overtime 4 on 4.

1. I wasn't aware the charge rules changed. Are you sure they did?

2. The restricted area isn't going anywhere. It's there to protect players and even with it players get hurt every year with contact in the area.

3. Interesting, but it would help shooting teams even more to have fewer players on the floor. The Warriors would only have Curry, Thompson, KD, and Green then.

R. Johnson#3
07-13-2016, 03:00 PM
1. I wasn't aware the charge rules changed. Are you sure they did?

2. The restricted area isn't going anywhere. It's there to protect players and even with it players get hurt every year with contact in the area.

3. Interesting, but it would help shooting teams even more to have fewer players on the floor. The Warriors would only have Curry, Thompson, KD, and Green then.

I guess #1 wasn't a rule change, more of a call out to the refs.

2. Good point. I just wonder the effect it would have on how defenses operate.

3. What you say is true. I'm just intrigued as to how 4 on 4 basketball would look. At one of the pickup games I go to we always play 4 on 4. Mind you it's not an NBA sized court but the extra amount of space you have is great. People are normally always running hard. I think it would be quick paced and exciting basketball to watch especially with the game on the line. It's what the NHL does too.