PDA

View Full Version : On if Chris Bosh will ever play again

J_M_B
07-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Hey guys, I posted this in the Heat forum, but since this might become huge league news in a few months so I thought I'll share it.

I recently ran into someone with close ties to the Heat organization. His name is Bill Diggs, the president of the Alonzo Mourning foundation (Zo is the VP of Player Personnel for Heat). I was speaking to him at a golf tournament over the weekend and he said the Heat do not plan to let him play. I found this very surprising, since everyone from Wade to UD have stated that Bosh will be ready to go when training camp rolls around. Bill says the Heat's plan is to claim the insurance policy on Bosh in February, which would terminate his contract from Miami's cap space. If you guys remember that is the last time Bosh suited up (Feb 9 to be exact). CBA rules allows teams to clear a player's cap number from its book, if that player needs to retire due to a sudden illness, but the cap space cannot be cleared until the one year anniversary of his last game. He'll still get his money (all of it is guaranteed), it'll just won't count against the team's space.

It was a lot of information for me to take in, so some of the details might be a little blurry, but the main point is that Riley and co are going to try and dump Bosh.

How the Player's Union take this .. who knows? This is going to get real ugly I bet cause no doubt Bosh is going to fight this.

Oh and I don't expect to many to believe this story, but I took his word on it because he told me two years ago that Bosh was resigning with Miami, the very same day every national writer was reporting he was signing in Houston for 4yrs/88M.

Chronz
07-12-2016, 11:17 AM
#LOYALTYheat

J_M_B
07-12-2016, 11:21 AM
#LOYALTYheat

Have to wonder how outside free agents are going to view the franchise if Bosh is truly showed the door

Pierzynski4Prez
07-12-2016, 12:21 PM
What if Bosh doesn't wish to retire though? Could he resign with any team he wishes, similar to players who were amnestied?

WaDe03
07-12-2016, 12:30 PM
Have to wonder how outside free agents are going to view the franchise if Bosh is truly showed the door

They already ****ed up their image by showing the greatest Miami sports icon of all time the door. I saw something yesterday about the Heat waiving Bosh and Bosh going to the Bulls.

Scoots
07-12-2016, 12:50 PM
What if Bosh doesn't wish to retire though? Could he resign with any team he wishes, similar to players who were amnestied?

Pretty much what I was thinking. If Bosh wants to play the Heat can't bot get him off their roster AND not let him play. But if he plays somewhere else the insurance company is sure to have a problem with that and the NBA won't allow the Heat to not count his contract if he's playing in the NBA. Basically, if Bosh WANTS to play the Heat appear to be screwed ... unless Bosh takes a buy out.

Dade County
07-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Pretty much what I was thinking. If Bosh wants to play the Heat can't bot get him off their roster AND not let him play. But if he plays somewhere else the insurance company is sure to have a problem with that and the NBA won't allow the Heat to not count his contract if he's playing in the NBA. Basically, if Bosh WANTS to play the Heat appear to be screwed ... unless Bosh takes a buy out.

Something like that...

Bosh has to retire or Miami wont be able to get away with it. Because if Bosh fights this Miami will claim that doctors are not clearing him; Bosh will try to find a doctor to clear him, but lets say Bosh finds 1; but Miami has 5 doctors saying no, he cant play.

I wonder what will happen then. But lol to this soap opera drama.

Gibby23
07-12-2016, 01:15 PM

Yup, he has to find a doctor to clear him and let him play. If he plays 10 games for another team the HEAT will be responsible for his entire contract and not get any cap savings.

mia1619
07-12-2016, 01:22 PM
because this has happened for the 2nd time the heat are going to win this, i believe. Because it is now a recurring issue the heat can act like they just dont think it is safe for him to play, which is the smart thing to do team wise for the future.

But make no mistake, this is going to be ugly for the heat. Bosh wants to play and the heat want his salary cap space. They are both right and both wrong and this is going to end with bosh saying he wants to play, the heat not allowing him to play, and someone having to determine what gets allowed.

tredigs
07-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Hey guys, I posted this in the Heat forum, but since this might become huge league news in a few months so I thought I'll share it.

I recently ran into someone with close ties to the Heat organization. His name is Bill Diggs, the president of the Alonzo Mourning foundation (Zo is the VP of Player Personnel for Heat). I was speaking to him at a golf tournament over the weekend and he said the Heat do not plan to let him play. I found this very surprising, since everyone from Wade to UD have stated that Bosh will be ready to go when training camp rolls around. Bill says the Heat's plan is to claim the insurance policy on Bosh in February, which would terminate his contract from Miami's cap space. If you guys remember that is the last time Bosh suited up (Feb 9 to be exact). CBA rules allows teams to clear a player's cap number from its book, if that player needs to retire due to a sudden illness, but the cap space cannot be cleared until the one year anniversary of his last game. He'll still get his money (all of it is guaranteed), it'll just won't count against the team's space.

It was a lot of information for me to take in, so some of the details might be a little blurry, but the main point is that Riley and co are going to try and dump Bosh.

How the Player's Union take this .. who knows? This is going to get real ugly I bet cause no doubt Bosh is going to fight this.

Oh and I don't expect to many to believe this story, but I took his word on it because he told me two years ago that Bosh was resigning with Miami, the very same day every national writer was reporting he was signing in Houston for 4yrs/88M.
I actually assumed this situation was seen as a given. He's wanted to play and they've needed him, but clearly they see more long term value in getting out of his contract when he becomes re-eligible in Feb. Letting Wade walk further drove that home to me.

Bosh is not retiring though, and I'm sure it will not be hard for him to find a host of doctors who will clear him. He's playing basketball all the time and living a normal life as is. Though I will say it's sort of a scary situation.

BKLYNpigeon
07-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Bosh doesn't care as long as he gets his money.

J_M_B
07-12-2016, 01:51 PM

This is why I think this is going to get really ugly. Bosh thought he should have been cleared for the playoffs, but Miami advised against it. The blood clot dissipated months ago and he supposedly has at least one outside doctor who will clear him to play.
It's obvious he's not thinking of retirement.

I don't know how the Heat plan to get around this. The only thing they have going for them is that this has become a reoccurring issue.

Vinylman
07-12-2016, 02:04 PM
Doesn't Miami have all the leverage though?

If the league and insurance clear him to play (finds a fly by night doctor) then all they have to do is put him on the bench and not play him.... If he wants to play again he has to agree to a buyout...

The other thing they can do to clear the cap space is just wait until the new CBA kicks in next year and use the amnesty provision that we know will be there.... of course they will have to pay him but any amount he earns elsewhere is a reduction of what they pay him and if he is healthy I am sure some will eat half his salary.

I don't think this is as big of deal as people think

WaDe03
07-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Skolnick said the other day that as bad as the Wade ordeal was, the Bosh situation will be way worse.

If that's the case Bosh won't have a problem at all agreeing to a buyout.

rhymeratic
07-12-2016, 03:16 PM
So if Bosh were to play and die on the court in front of live fans... how are we all going to feel about it...

Sorry dude should never be allowed back on a court PERIOD. Blood clots ain't the same as a common cold. That ish is serious and scary. He's done.

tredigs
07-12-2016, 03:27 PM
So if Bosh were to play and die on the court in front of live fans... how are we all going to feel about it...

Sorry dude should never be allowed back on a court PERIOD. Blood clots ain't the same as a common cold. That ish is serious and scary. He's done.

I'd be sad for him, and know that he died doing what he loved to do and chose to do given the risks. I certainly wouldn't feel any guilt, if that's what you're implying. It's his life.

mia1619
07-12-2016, 04:29 PM

and that is exactly why miami will argue he shouldnt be able to play. whether they actually believe that or not. Spo was the pg for the university of portland when Hank Geathers died at UNLV, this isnt something to play with.

There is not right and wrong here. But this will get ugly.

mia1619
07-12-2016, 04:30 PM
I'd be sad for him, and know that he died doing what he loved to do and chose to do given the risks. I certainly wouldn't feel any guilt, if that's what you're implying. It's his life.

It's his life but the Heats organization, they will argue. No matter what the heat does to push against this situation, they will be put at blame if he dies on the court in any situation, so that, among salary cap reasons, is why the heat will push against him playing again I believe.

Scoots
07-12-2016, 04:56 PM
because this has happened for the 2nd time the heat are going to win this, i believe. Because it is now a recurring issue the heat can act like they just dont think it is safe for him to play, which is the smart thing to do team wise for the future.

But make no mistake, this is going to be ugly for the heat. Bosh wants to play and the heat want his salary cap space. They are both right and both wrong and this is going to end with bosh saying he wants to play, the heat not allowing him to play, and someone having to determine what gets allowed.

But only Bosh can choose to retire. I wonder if Bosh can petition to play in the NBA while still under contract to Miami?

tredigs
07-12-2016, 04:59 PM
It's his life but the Heats organization, they will argue. No matter what the heat does to push against this situation, they will be put at blame if he dies on the court in any situation, so that, among salary cap reasons, is why the heat will push against him playing again I believe.

If there is any kind of realistic risk they simply won't allow him to play, but if he's out there getting a team of different doctors saying he should be fine, then it is what it is. Some team will take him, and ultimately this is Bosh's call if that's the path he chooses.

D-Leethal
07-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Bosh to the Dubs for the minimum.

Sofnr
07-12-2016, 05:42 PM
I wonder if he'd have any interest in joining Wade in Chicago for cheap depending on how this plays out. You certainly can't rely on him since this is an ongoing issue, but the Bulls don't have much to lose taking a shot on him for this year.

RLundi
07-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Bosh to the Dubs for the minimum.

Would he have to sit out the entire season if Heat determine him ineligible?

beasted86
07-12-2016, 06:28 PM
From everything I understand medically, as well as the federal laws governing this such as HIPAA, I don't see how they can rule out Bosh permanently. Bosh will have to willingly decide to retire IMO.

Just because there is "possibility of a risk" does not necessarily mean an actual or realized risk. A lot of people throw out the "why take a 1% chance" opinion but don't realize how many players have heart defects or genetic predispositions that would similarly pose a risk and they are allowed to play. How many players have had blood clots and resumed playing, and so forth. A lot of case law basically already exists behind the scenes that we'll never know about because of HIPAA laws. If they try and force the issue, I'm sure the union will go to town on them and furnish cases.

Ultimately whatever steps they took to clear him last time are the same steps will be forced to take this time. This being the second occurrence doesn't change much, because from what Bosh openly disclosed, he did not have clots on his lungs or DVT this time, so in essence this recurrent clot was not life-threatening like the first case.

kobe4thewinbang
07-12-2016, 06:58 PM
I'm on the Heat's side. They have a player that cannot and should not play. Miami ain't contending for a while, and Bosh's prime is long since done. They should've never given him that contract, and obviously he won't be able to fulfill the contract so they should just work out a buyout or something. There's gotta be some way around it. He can go play ball at the park and the Heat can actually use that money to make a better team. I think the league sides with Heat and I honestly don't think it will be an issue. Bosh needs to realize his health is too risky to even try it, man up, and move on. Ain't like he's starving anytime soon.

AllBall
07-12-2016, 08:34 PM

Yep, this is my greatest fear. They let him play and BOOM he dies on a National TNT broadcast. His wife widowed and children fatherless. The NBA and the team will never hear the end of it. It would be horrible for everyone.

Scoots
07-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Bosh doesn't care as long as he gets his money.

Nobody wants to retire on someone elses terms.

Scoots
07-12-2016, 09:41 PM

He should be allowed to do take risks he wants to take with his health.

Scoots
07-12-2016, 09:44 PM
There is no reason for Bosh to accept a buy out. He's guaranteed that money, if he accepts a buy out he'll take less money to walk away free to sign with another team that will never pay him that money.

One Nut Kruk
07-12-2016, 09:55 PM
I'm sure Bill Diggs would appreciate you blabbing this on a public forum.

europagnpilgrim
07-13-2016, 02:20 AM
This is probably one of the main factors in Wade ditching the Heat knowing this was likely to happen along with the other stuff about him feeling slighted in contract talks

Bosh will probably end up getting a buy out and released to go team up with a contender like SA/Cavs/Clipps(if Blake is traded) and then that will lead to Love being traded if Bosh goes to Cavs for DCousins and the nba will have its Ali-FrazierIII with such star power that this may end up being a Lakers-Celtics 80's style finals rival for years to come, 1-1 so far

Vinylman
07-13-2016, 07:50 AM
From everything I understand medically, as well as the federal laws governing this such as HIPAA, I don't see how they can rule out Bosh permanently. Bosh will have to willingly decide to retire IMO.

Just because there is "possibility of a risk" does not necessarily mean an actual or realized risk. A lot of people throw out the "why take a 1% chance" opinion but don't realize how many players have heart defects or genetic predispositions that would similarly pose a risk and they are allowed to play. How many players have had blood clots and resumed playing, and so forth. A lot of case law basically already exists behind the scenes that we'll never know about because of HIPAA laws. If they try and force the issue, I'm sure the union will go to town on them and furnish cases.

Ultimately whatever steps they took to clear him last time are the same steps will be forced to take this time. This being the second occurrence doesn't change much, because from what Bosh openly disclosed, he did not have clots on his lungs or DVT this time, so in essence this recurrent clot was not life-threatening like the first case.

HIPPA? that deals primarily with privacy issues that Bosh can waive if he wants...

Again... Bosh's employment in the NBA is governed by the CBA ... nothing more nothing less...

Unless a credible doctor clears him he has a tough road to challenge any ruling because he is GETTING PAID.

Vinylman
07-13-2016, 07:54 AM
He should be allowed to do take risks he wants to take with his health.

no he shouldn't ... this is no different than a guy out on disability with his company who can't perform his assignment.

I guess you support NFL players playing with concussions if they can find a shill doctor to clear them.

The NBA has a brand that they want to protect which is their right.

mia1619
07-13-2016, 08:36 AM
You guys don't know why you're talking about.

1) Bosh would never agree to a buyout.
2) Neither would the heat.

Buyouts are almost exclusively used for guys who have 1 year remaining on their deal. The amount that comes off the salary cap books is a negotiation between the Heat and what Bosh is willing to give up. It makes no sense for him to give up 75 million over the next 3 years nor would the heat pay anything close to that to buy him out. This is going to go to the players union and is going to be a fight for the heat to be forced to play him.

Slug3
07-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Damn we all don't really know anything yet and you all act like you do. Bosh's plan last year was to take his medicine early in the morning with the hopes of it being out of his system by the time game time came around. That is why during the playoffs there was some tension between Bosh and the Heat. But no doctor but one that Bosh had to find would clear him, thats good and all but the NBA has to clear him to play and not some second hand doctor. I don't think the Heat and the NBA want someone getting seriously injured on the court or dying in the event they are still on these blood thinners.

Now the factor here is going to be A) If Bosh is off the blood thinners I am sure he will play and the Heat won't have a problem with him playing. B) If Bosh needs to stay on blood thinners for the rest of his life he is done. No matter if you like that decision or not or think Miami is no longer loyal. No team in the NBA is going to allow a player to play the game while on blood thinners. That is a liability and a big one.

sjbirds
07-13-2016, 09:15 AM
What i find funny is that they were saying he was fine when pitching to kd but as soon as they didn't get him n realize they are not gonna contend they are trying to save money n say he can't play

Slug3
07-13-2016, 09:50 AM
What i find funny is that they were saying he was fine when pitching to kd but as soon as they didn't get him n realize they are not gonna contend they are trying to save money n say he can't play

Well that was a rumor that they would use Bosh as a reason to play for them, but no one from the front office actually came out and said that is what they were using as leverage or not. At this point we just don't really know anything going on with Bosh. I mean Bosh himself hasn't even said if he needs to be on thinners the rest of his life or not.

Scoots
07-13-2016, 01:36 PM
no he shouldn't ... this is no different than a guy out on disability with his company who can't perform his assignment.

I guess you support NFL players playing with concussions if they can find a shill doctor to clear them.

The NBA has a brand that they want to protect which is their right.

The concussion protocols are codified and supposedly used the same with all players so it's different there, also if a player had a concussion I don't think he should be forced into retirement.

They do have a right to protect their brand, and the Heat cut Bosh as they are free to do and I'm fine with that. What I'm not okay with is them owning him, not letting him play, and not paying the cap penalty for the privilege.

The Heat NEED Bosh to be willing to retire/not play voluntarily. If Bosh is okay with it then all is good and the Heat get their cap relief. If Bosh doesn't want to retire then the Heat have options, but a lot fewer of them. They can trade Bosh, they can cut Bosh, or they can pay him the full amount to not play and not get the cap relieve.

Scoots
07-13-2016, 01:40 PM
Damn we all don't really know anything yet and you all act like you do. Bosh's plan last year was to take his medicine early in the morning with the hopes of it being out of his system by the time game time came around. That is why during the playoffs there was some tension between Bosh and the Heat. But no doctor but one that Bosh had to find would clear him, thats good and all but the NBA has to clear him to play and not some second hand doctor. I don't think the Heat and the NBA want someone getting seriously injured on the court or dying in the event they are still on these blood thinners.

Now the factor here is going to be A) If Bosh is off the blood thinners I am sure he will play and the Heat won't have a problem with him playing. B) If Bosh needs to stay on blood thinners for the rest of his life he is done. No matter if you like that decision or not or think Miami is no longer loyal. No team in the NBA is going to allow a player to play the game while on blood thinners. That is a liability and a big one.

But it still comes down to what Bosh is okay with. If the NBA says Bosh can't play then the Heat can't continue to control him and he can go play elsewhere and that's going to be ugly.

If Bosh is willing to retire it's easy.

A buyout is not an option.

Slug3
07-13-2016, 01:51 PM
But it still comes down to what Bosh is okay with. If the NBA says Bosh can't play then the Heat can't continue to control him and he can go play elsewhere and that's going to be ugly.

If Bosh is willing to retire it's easy.

A buyout is not an option.

Just from the rumors I have seen is Bosh most likely won't be ok with it. I don't know what all is true, but he wanted to be on thinners and take them in the morning and then have them out of his system by game time to play. Only problem is that does not make it so you don't bleed easy still. The Heat doctors and the NBA doctors and I think even a few others did not clear this plan. Then he found one doctor that said it should be fine.

But what we don't know yet is if he has to only be on thinners for a little bit, or if he needs to be on them the rest of his life. If its the rest of his life there is no team in the NBA that is going to approve anyone to play the game. I know for a fact Spo won't want to play him especially with having watched a teammate die of a heart problem I believe in college on the court. So I am sure he doesnt want to have something like that happen again.

So it comes down to if he is off them then I am sure Miami wants him to play as he is still a great player, and hasn't put too many miles on him these last 2 years with missing time. If he has to be on them for life he won't play again no matter how much he tries to fight it.

I would love for him to play again for us, but if he has to be on thinners for the rest of his life I fully believe he should not. No person or team should take that risk.