5 time champion.
top 10 player.

Discuss.

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 10:15 AM
:(

Wade n Fade
07-11-2016, 10:17 AM
A loss for the best PF of all time. The Spurs seemed prepared for one last run. Even Manu is back. Will be weird seeing a starting 5 with Aldridge and someone other than Duncan as a big-pairing. This is how a classy person retires, free from fanfare. Duncan can still play, which is the scary part because his age isn't common in the NBA, yet he can put up a double double on a nightly basis. Greg Popovich must be devastated because his favorite player is ridding into the sunset. He got 5 rings though. Too bad they couldn't repeat as champs in 2015 or capture the 2016 title. Somewhere, LeBron is breathing a slight sigh of relief because the smartest big man of all time, arguably, is gone.

Htownballa1622

I feel ya man. Same way I felt when Hakeem retired in 2001. (In my mind he never played for another team)

_Supreme_
The most respectable player of his generation, Imo.

:clap::clap::clap:

YAALREADYKNO
07-11-2016, 10:18 AM
Kobe and Duncan in the same year? Strong HOF class

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 10:21 AM
Duncan is the epitome of the guy I hated to watch my team play against but always had a ton of respect for. He's currently in my top 5 all-time list, and he's definitely the greatest player in Spurs history, which is really saying something considering how good Gervin and Robinson were. Watching a league next year with no Kobe or Duncan is going to be really, really weird.

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 10:23 AM
I feel ya man. Same way I felt when Hakeem retired in 2001. (In my mind he never played for another team)

Toronto who?? lol...

Man it's sad, and Spurs fans have been lucky to have him and spoiled. Not seeing him suit up anymore is just something that you knew would come eventually, but never really want to accept

JLynn943
Congrats to him on an outstanding career. :hat-tip:

lamzoka
The greatest power forward to ever lace them up! A true class act, a champion! The man is a living legend! Enjoy retirement Timmy D.

mightybosstone
For Spurs fans, do you expect the transition from Duncan to Gasol to lead to a better team, a worse team or roughly the same team with just more of a shift from defense to offense? I loved the Gasol signing, but I've got to think the Duncan retirement will have some ramifications on the squad on and off the court.

Tony_Starks
07-11-2016, 10:30 AM
It was time. It was sad to watch him during the playoffs be a shell of himself.

First Kobe, then Timmy, now all we have is Dirk and we are officially done with the team lifers.

Then it's officially all the team hopping mercenaries.

Sad day.

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 10:32 AM
For Spurs fans, do you expect the transition from Duncan to Gasol to lead to a better team, a worse team or roughly the same team with just more of a shift from defense to offense? I loved the Gasol signing, but I've got to think the Duncan retirement will have some ramifications on the squad on and off the court.

I'll be honest I haven't thought much about the team, knowing TD was hanging them up lol.

I think defensively they probably won't be as good as last year. Offensively they should be. If Green can start hitting shots again (lasik surgery this off-season) and Mills, etc... That'll be a great start. Gasol is a fine passer, and post player. He and LMA should have no issues with a high-low game

Htownballa1622
07-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Toronto who?? lol...

Man it's sad, and Spurs fans have been lucky to have him and spoiled. Not seeing him suit up anymore is just something that you knew would come eventually, but never really want to accept

lol exactly.

Spurs have definitely been fortunate but they've sustained it long enough to think that they can keep it going.

Robinson to Duncan to now Kawhi. It'll be weird but at least y'all are still a top 2 team and a top flight organization. I'm surprised he and Manu didn't go out together. I feel Manu has about a year left and TP maybe 2 or 3.

Jarvo
07-11-2016, 10:38 AM

I feel the same damn way, This hurts so much !

Jarvo
07-11-2016, 10:41 AM
As a Spurs fan this hurts my heart so much but it was time, I knew after that last game he was going to hang em up. But so happy I was able to witness his greatness and everything he accomplished in the league. He is truly an all time great, legend and future Hall Of Famer. He is a model NBA who put the team first and not himself and I'm damn sure going to miss him so much but thanks him for all he's done!

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 10:41 AM

Wade n Fade
07-11-2016, 10:44 AM
What surprises me is Kevin Garnett is still in the league. He should've retired before Duncan, who can actually play. KG has been trash for years.

jason6692
07-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Been waiting for this day a while now but thats just because they were that good being a dallas fan he has been one of my more disliked players however 5 rings is exceptional now ppl can learn to appreciate dirk more hes the last almost 40 legend we got in the league.

jason6692
07-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Damn i forgot MIN is still paying kg to coach in a jersey. He might as well don a suit and a notepad

Scoots
07-11-2016, 10:53 AM
I'm glad Timmy went out this way. Wait until everything was quiet and then quietly walk away and not wait too long.

Spurs locals ... think he'll go into coaching?

leprechaun5
NBA is going to miss Duncan. The most humble superstar ever.

da ThRONe
One of those defining retiring in sports.

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 10:54 AM

Chronz
07-11-2016, 11:06 AM
My 4th favorite player of the 2K era. Doesn't seem the type to change his mind but I was hoping to give him a season sendoff.

Shaq and Duncan wouldve been the most dominant duo of all-time BTW.

First Kobe, then Timmy, now all we have is Dirk and we are officially done with the team lifers.

Sad day.
He was injured for sure

Not really, you still have the guys lucky enough to get drafted by those teams who if things are done right, would be idiotic to leave. Kawhi looks like the next Spurs lifer. Manu and TP are still around. Your Lakers have a budding duo that appear to be the next in line, should be fun if ownership gets its act together.

And yes they stayed with one team but I have a hard time blaming Pierce for getting traded how he did. In terms of committing to one team, I consider him with those names.
I guess I wouldn't put him with Dirk (Who has put up with the most **** between them all and never went as far as they did in almost leaving) but with Kobe for sure (if you went to opening night in 07, you would have heard the pregame boos, LA forgets, I dont). Kobe admits to almost being dealt and he would've been dealt had Phil Jackson been calling the shots. Duncan would have never been traded, he flirted with leaving but ultimately stayed. Hes up there with Dirk.

Jarvo
07-11-2016, 11:08 AM
NBA 2k better have a special cover for this man ! Seriously!

Chi StateOfMind
07-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Class, hall of famer, great, humble, legend!!!! Thank u Tim... #21out

Vinylman
07-11-2016, 11:15 AM

Not being a dick but...

Wilt easily had as many points rebounds and blocks... they just didn't track the blocks.... not to mention that Kareem's blocks are easily under counted by about 1000 because they didn't track them his first 4 years

Wilt had almost 24k rebounds and some say that is a low count

As for Duncan... great player great career class act...

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Not being a dick but...

Wilt easily had as many points rebounds and blocks... they just didn't track the blocks.... not to mention that Kareem's blocks are easily under counted by about 1000 because they didn't track them his first 4 years

Wilt had almost 24k rebounds and some say that is a low count

As for Duncan... great player great career class act...

That's cool, so I guess you can make it 3 players lol

R. Johnson#3
07-11-2016, 11:19 AM
It's a sad day for basketball. It was painful watching him struggle in the post season so this was the right move. It would've been nice to see him end his career with another ring though.

Vinylman
07-11-2016, 11:20 AM

except he really isn't close to those two...

again... not being a dick... just stating a fact

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 11:20 AM
To those fans who never saw Duncan play in college or his first 10 years or so in the league, you should go and watch some youtube videos. far too often i've seen comments about TD that showed me folks didn't get to see him when he was younger.

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 11:25 AM
except he really isn't close to those two...

again... not being a dick... just stating a fact

:eyebrow:

26,000 points,
15,000 rebounds
3,000 blocks

Check for all 3. Hence the fact that there are 3 players of all time. Were Wilt's probably higher? Sure.. But who gives a ****. A top 5 (to many) player of all time is hangin' em up and you are nitpicking numbers.

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 11:33 AM

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-11-2016, 11:39 AM
What a Class Act, great guy, and great career. The sport of basketball needed a player like him to come through at the time that he did. In the time of isolation ball and it being all about one player instead of the team, this guy was the epitome of a superstar with no ego. Congrats Duncan on a great career

TylerSL
07-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Sad day but also one that deserves celebration. While obviously a Heat fan, I've always been fond of San Antonio and multiple times when the Heat haven't been contenders, I've wanted the Spurs to win it all. I was hoping Duncan would play one more year not only to get #6, but to make it a full 20 years of 50+ wins (cuz I count the 37-13 50 game season as a 50-win season, that's on pace to win 61 games.)

Alas, Duncan is, to me, easily the greatest PF of all time and I have him currently as the #3 player of all time, behind only Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson. Not only is it his accolades that distinguishes him from most players, but the fact that he was NEVER a loser is what is most impressive about him. His team NEVER missed the postseason, his team NEVER had a winning percentage lower than .610, or 50-32. Michael Jordan didn't win like that. Magic Johnson didn't win like that. Kobe Bryant didn't win like that. Lebron James and Steph Curry do not win like that. Tim Duncan and the Spurs are easily the main reason the West has been so difficult to win over the years.

5 NBA championships
6 Conference championships
2 League MVP awards
3 Finals MVP awards
1998 Rookie of the Year
15x All Star
15x All-Defensive team
15x All-NBA team
9 Conference Finals appearances
A career record of 1,001-391 (.719) in 1,392 regular season games
A career record of 157-94 (.625) in 251 playoff games
A career record of 1,158-485 (.705) in 1,643 career games

Nobody has ever won like the San Antonio Spurs in last 19 seasons. Nobody will likely win like Duncan again.

Over 1,000 regular season wins in less than 1,400 games and he won over 70% of games he was ever in........ :drool:

GoferKing_
07-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Dude is a LEGEND, it is a sad day, but damn he earned it!!!

FlashBolt
07-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Damn.. wanted to see him play behind Pau. For 10-15 minutes, he can still play like an elite center. He'll probably still be around the organization.

Chronz
07-11-2016, 12:19 PM
What a Class Act, great guy, and great career. The sport of basketball needed a player like him to come through at the time that he did. In the time of isolation ball and it being all about one player instead of the team, this guy was the epitome of a superstar with no ego. Congrats Duncan on a great career

Fishers .4, manus foul, Pops sub

if not for 3 insane moments, how differently is Duncan remembered?

Scoots
07-11-2016, 12:26 PM

26,000 points,
15,000 rebounds
3,000 blocks

Check for all 3. Hence the fact that there are 3 players of all time. Were Wilt's probably higher? Sure.. But who gives a ****. A top 5 (to many) player of all time is hangin' em up and you are nitpicking numbers.

His name isn't Kobe or LeBron. He did it quietly and without engendering the ardor others have. It's the way things have always been :(

5ass
07-11-2016, 12:30 PM
What a great player and character. I'm going to miss him.

Burkey3472
07-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Truly one of the greats and an all time legend. He will certainly be missed.

Tony_Starks
07-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Will definitely look back on those epic Spurs/ Lakers battles with fondness.

As a Laker fan we really didn't even care who we faced in the Finals, beating Timmy and the Spurs WAS the championship!

Sure gave us a run for our money, Timmy did.

The list of teams he took down is pretty impressive

- Shaq and Kobe Laker dynasty

- Detroit reloaded Bad Boys

- Both the Cleveland Bron team and the Miami Big 3

Vee-Rex
07-11-2016, 12:44 PM
The Big Fundamental will truly be missed. I used to call him soft in the early 2000's but that was blatantly wrong, he was never a soft player. He just kept his cool and didn't show much emotion. His combination of talent and skill-set while not being extremely athletic was rare and it's something that the NBA probably won't see for a long, long time, if ever.

FlashBolt
07-11-2016, 12:46 PM

As a Laker fan we really didn't even care who we faced in the Finals, beating Timmy and the Spurs WAS the championship!

Lol. Stop.

Vinylman
07-11-2016, 12:55 PM

26,000 points,
15,000 rebounds
3,000 blocks

probably higher? Is that a joke? raw stats it isn't even close to either kareem or wilt...

26/15/3 is an arbitrary cut off designed to push him into a different grouping

wilt

31,400 points
23,900 rebounds (assumed to be low by all historians).
+/- 6000 blocks (very conservative... some have him as high as 8000)

When challenged, Wilt could do almost anything he wanted. In 1961 a new star named Walt Bellamy came into the league. Bellamy was 6-foot-11, and was scoring 30 points a game. First time they played against each other, they met at half court. Bellamy said, 'Hello, Mr. Chamberlain. I'm Walter Bellamy.' Chamberlain reached for Bellamy's hand and said, 'Hello, Walter. You won't get a shot off in the first half.' Wilt then blocked Bellamy's first nine shots. At the start of the second half Wilt said to Bellamy, 'Okay, Walter. Now you can play.'

Kareem

38,400 points
17,400 rebounds
4000+ blocks (3189 counted / first 4 years est).

both kareem and wilt have 60k counting stats while Duncan has 44k...

Not close

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 12:55 PM

KobeOwnSU
07-11-2016, 12:56 PM
The greatest PF of all time. I always hated you TD haha I enjoyed the battles with the Lakers, it was fun to watch but I hated you TD. Hated, but I respect your game.

Vinylman
07-11-2016, 12:57 PM
His name isn't Kobe or LeBron. He did it quietly and without engendering the ardor others have. It's the way things have always been :(

yeah... because those were the guys I was comparing him to...

whoops ... another false narrative being spun at PSD ... shocking

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 01:00 PM
probably higher? Is that a joke? raw stats it isn't even close to either kareem or wilt...

26/15/3 is an arbitrary cut off designed to push him into a different grouping

wilt

31,400 points
23,900 rebounds (assumed to be low by all historians).
+/- 6000 blocks (very conservative... some have him as high as 8000)

When challenged, Wilt could do almost anything he wanted. In 1961 a new star named Walt Bellamy came into the league. Bellamy was 6-foot-11, and was scoring 30 points a game. First time they played against each other, they met at half court. Bellamy said, 'Hello, Mr. Chamberlain. I'm Walter Bellamy.' Chamberlain reached for Bellamy's hand and said, 'Hello, Walter. You won't get a shot off in the first half.' Wilt then blocked Bellamy's first nine shots. At the start of the second half Wilt said to Bellamy, 'Okay, Walter. Now you can play.'

Kareem

38,400 points
17,400 rebounds
4000+ blocks (3189 counted / first 4 years est).

both kareem and wilt have 60k counting stats while Duncan has 44k...

Not close

:clap: Nicely done. Crazy thought, maybe post something relevant to Duncan retiring instead of trying to downplay his greatness? No one here said he was better than Wilt/KAJ, it was something that's been tweeted and shared. If you don't like it, tweet the person who put the stat out. It's not some crazy thought to have him in company with those guys btw. But if you don't agree, whatever, your opinion..

Anyway.... Re: this thread/topic

Duncan is an all time great, first ballot HOF, with a crazy resume. Ya know, something along those lines will do, instead the stuff you're saying.

FlashBolt
07-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Comparing Duncan's modern stats to that in which it was common to grab 20 rebounds/5 blocks/30 points during the 60-70's... That's real accurate.

flea
07-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Sad to hear, he is my favorite basketball player ever.

He had such a unique career, but I don't think you could say it could have gone any better in spite of how strangely things played out. By that I don't just mean his team and individual success, but also how he fit in with the league. He embodies the transition the NBA has made - which I think is the biggest transition since the merger.

With regards to the NBA as a whole, consider how he entered the league in the illegal defense era, had his young prime in the stout defensive era that began the zone defense era, had his old prime in the beginnings of the P&R era, and had his decline in the "bombs away" era where shooters are allowed freedom from any defense beyond heavy breathing, screeners are allowed to dislodge and disrupt any semblance of perimeter defense, and there are 2 totally different sets of rules for guards/wings and big men. He truly saw it all and thrived in it all.

With regards to the Spurs, consider his place on his team: he had basically 5 different #2 guys over the course of his career (Robinson, Bowen, Ginobili, Parker, and Leonard) and won with all of them. He turned a minor franchise into a powerhouse - something that is frequent in the MLB and NFL but unheard of before or since in the NBA's star-laden landscape. His ability and humility turned a gruff front-office type of basketball guy who was nearly given the axe into a coach that many view as the best, and certainly one of. This despite Pop being basically the antithesis of an NBA coach, who generally must be player's coaches and are lauded on those terms (in the case of Phil Jackson).

With regards to his individual accomplishments, allow me to expand a bit on my thoughts:

Individual Accomplishments:

His calling card to me was his versatility as a big man and willingness to do anything. But he wasn't a role player by any means, he was a superstar with the mentality of a role player. I think his individual skills sometimes get downplayed when people praise his all-around game (particularly if you only paid attention to him during his decline) but consider:

- As a low post scorer he was overshadowed by Shaq in his prime in spite of him being one of the 5 finest big man scorers there has been. He didn't have a million moves like Hakeem but he had moves and counters for everything, and he was a genius at exploiting matchups. Even in old age he could get into the heads of guys like Ibaka and Howard with his scoring. Running hooks, fadeaways, turnarounds, bullyball, and of course the infamous bank shot to remind defenders they were too stupid to defend his utter simplicity of style.

- As a defender he was overshadowed by various guys like Ben Wallace and inexplicably never won a DPOY even though he has a very real argument as the best defensive player ever to lace them up. He was long and quick in his prime, much more agile than most bigs, and was an underrated athlete. He remained a top shot blocker until he retired even though he could barely jump because of elite instincts while his more heralded defensive counterparts saw their effectiveness sapped early when they lost athleticism. A lot of defense in basketball can be reduced simply to not making mistakes and that's why it's frustrating for players - Duncan was the king of minimizing mistakes and always contesting. It's not flashy but it wins ballgames.

- As a big man passer he's overshadowed by KG but yet he led his team in assists on a Championship run (2003). That's almost unheard of, I think Hakeem might have done it but I'm pretty sure that's it. He could do it all as a passer at elite levels: lead the break, give and go, kickouts, dumpoffs, and he ran the 4/5 P&R with Robinson as the passer when he was young. Very underrated his whole career because assists are not great at telling you about bigs passing and he wasn't a strictly high-post playmaker.

- As a rebounder he's overshadowed by Shaq, Wallace, and Howard but he bested them on the glass at various points in his career and remained a top rebounder until the very end. He had 1.8 fewer rebounds than Rasheed and Ben Wallace combined over the 2005 Finals. His team was always in the top 5, usually top 3, in defensive rebounding regardless of his teammates or style of play.

- As a P&R big man he's overshadowed by Amare but he beat him consistently and turned himself into a great P&R big man when the league moved that way. The 2014 Spurs epitomized the beauty of a P&R motion offense for a lot of people and make no mistake, Duncan's unique ability and willingness was the engine behind that machine. Without Duncan lumbering around sure-handedly and ready to pass or score, Parker doesn't jet around and push 50% from 2 point land over the back half of Duncan's career.

- As a gritty and driven player focused on winning he's overshadowed by Kobe, but he gladly accepted lesser roles consistently over the course of his career. He could have scored 20 PPG if he wanted to until a couple years ago probably, but it would have cost his team games and he wouldn't have been very efficient. He probably could have scored more in his late prime if he'd demanded it, but he gladly allowed his 2 scoring guard running mates to develop and utilize their best assets for the betterment of the team. He embraced defense from the get-go to the very end - rare for an NBA player who doesn't make his living exclusively on that end.

- As a do-it-all player he gets overshadowed by Lebron's unique skillset, but Duncan both could and did learn to do everything needed from a big man. Individual and team defense, scoring, passing, rebounding, screening, midrange shooting on the pop or to space his center - he spent lots of time doing all of it and always to complement what teammates he had. Not to mention the fact that he's retiring with the edge on "The King."

- As a Finals performer he gets overshadowed by MJ, Bird, Magic, Dream, or whomever you think of in your lore. And it's true that most teams in the West during Duncan's reign faced their serious competition in the WCF and WC Semis. But 3 of Duncan's 6 Finals were against elite teams, 2 were against defending champions, and another was against the defending EC champion. Duncan was part of the infamous 2014 Finals that saw 3 games essentially decided before halftime vs. the two-time reigning champs. He bested the team many consider the best defensive team of the era in 2005. And he had the infamous and alleged (though uncredited) quadruple double with a jaw-dropping 21 point/20 rebound/10 assist/8 block line in the closeout game 6 of the 2003 Finals - very arguably the single best individual Finals performance ever.

Thanks for the memories Tim.

I'll close with one of my favorite quotes about Duncan from Pop himself, and with quite a Pop-y zing to it. I can't source it like it says but it's found elsewhere on the internet and I can't believe it's anything but true.

“There’s the story about (Spurs’ coach Gregg) Popovich when he was going for his first championship with Tim Duncan,” Chones said. “They were waiting in the locker room to hear about the strategy they were going to use in the playoffs. Pop comes in there and sits down. All his coaches are leaning forward in their chairs getting ready for this great message, and he says, ‘Listen,’ with a few expletives thrown in, ‘We have Tim Duncan and they don’t. Let’s not mess this up.’ -Boston Herald

Don't worry Pop, you didn't mess it up then or since.

tredigs
07-11-2016, 02:34 PM

Also KD/Westbrook/Ibaka en route to the beating of Miami Big 3. Led his squad in points+rebound that series. At 37.

Just one of the GOAT's in every regard.

Pretty epic and fitting to me that Kobe went out with the massive farewell tour and ultimate Kobe game (most shots ever, most points by a >35 year old ever), and Timmy just quietly vanished on a random Monday morning in the off-season without a word. Legend.

MJL80
07-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Awesome career and a class act.

andy2518
07-11-2016, 02:50 PM
Sad to see him go. One of a kind for sure. He very quietly dominated the league for many years... He will be missed by many including myself. Seems like yesterday he was putting up a quadruple-double in the playoffs. Congrats on a great career Timmy.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Fishers .4, manus foul, Pops sub

if not for 3 insane moments, how differently is Duncan remembered?

Depends on what transpired if those events did not occur. If it all worked out for him then yeah, he would be way up their on a lot of peoples boards. Its tough to say. Like if Fish doesn't hit that shot, do they go on to win 2 more series and beat that defensive juggernaut Pistons. Or if Pop leaves Tim in, would he have been standing there to get that rebound?

But for the life of me, I cant recall the Manu foul scenario. Which series was this?

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Depends on what transpired if those events did not occur. If it all worked out for him then yeah, he would be way up their on a lot of peoples boards. Its tough to say. Like if Fish doesn't hit that shot, do they go on to win 2 more series and beat that defensive juggernaut Pistons. Or if Pop leaves Tim in, would he have been standing there to get that rebound?

But for the life of me, I cant recall the Manu foul scenario. Which series was this?

That was in 06. Spurs trailed the series 3-1, then forced a game 7 and had a 3 point lead with 32 seconds left. They hadn't lead all game until Manu hit a 3 at that point.

Then the next possession, Dirk is posting up Bowen and drives it in and has an easy layup, Manu gambles to try and block and fouls him giving Dirk a chance to tie it up (which he does) and Dallas went on to win that game in OT. That was the year Miami beat Dallas of course and could've been an opportunity for SA to win b2b.

Hawkeye15
07-11-2016, 03:23 PM
I hated you the first half of your career, and liked you the second half. Top 5 big ever. Will be missed.

See ya Timmy :)

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 03:35 PM
I'm sure everyone has their own favorite Tim Duncan moment, but I'll never forget this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiqxO6NLMms

Despite the fact that the guy basically never shot 3-pointers and had almost no business being that far from the basket, the second he caught the ball and was that wide open, I just knew it was going in. And when it did, I got chills. I rarely get chills from watching players from teams other than my own favorites hit big shots, but I'll never forget that one. That shot cemented Duncan for me as one of the great all-time big game performers.

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 03:37 PM
Pretty epic and fitting to me that Kobe went out with the massive farewell tour and ultimate Kobe game (most shots ever, most points by a >35 year old ever), and Timmy just quietly vanished on a random Monday morning in the off-season without a word. Legend.
I was thinking about that this morning when I first heard the news. That just perfectly epitomizes them as players and the careers they had. Two very different legends of the sport who played the game two very different ways saying goodbye in two very different fashions.

mngopher35
07-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Such a great player, sad to see him go. Great on both ends, I think one of the saddest (weirdest?) things about his career is that he never got a DPOY award. Oh well I guess he has to just live with all his other accomplishments lol.

Arguably a top 5 player all time, congrats on the amazing career Timmy.

Hawkeye15
07-11-2016, 03:55 PM

My tiers

MJ
KAJ/Wilt
Shaq/Duncan/LeBron/Magic
Dream/Kobe/Kobe/Bird

I don't think Duncan has a case along side KAJ, and Wilt personally. Just below. Do you realize how good those 2 were? For big, he is with Shaq.

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 04:25 PM
My tiers

MJ
KAJ/Wilt
Shaq/Duncan/LeBron/Magic
Dream/Kobe/Kobe/Bird

I don't think Duncan has a case along side KAJ, and Wilt personally. Just below. Do you realize how good those 2 were? For big, he is with Shaq.

I never said he had a case or anything. I posted a stat that I saw :shrug:

More-Than-Most
07-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Top 7 player ever

MJ/MJ/Kaj/Wilt/Lebron/Shaq/Duncan

More-Than-Most
07-11-2016, 04:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ww9X3xn20M

This is why I love TD

Hawkeye15
07-11-2016, 04:56 PM
I never said he had a case or anything. I posted a stat that I saw :shrug:

oh. Maybe I should go read the post first haha, I was piggybacking off the ensuing convo

Vinny642
07-11-2016, 05:14 PM
This one is sad as hell. I hated Duncan early on, I hated his bankers... but this dude is what athletes should inspire to be. Spurs are lucky to have someone like him. I wasnt prepared for it today, hurts.

CardinalRed24
07-11-2016, 05:29 PM
As a diehard laker fan, this saddens me deeply. I have grown to really appreciate and respect TD over the years. And have no problem admitting the deep admiration I have for this once in a lifetime competitor. It goes beyond words.
It is immeasurable.
He Is, in my book, a top 5 player All Time. And there's no doubt about it in my mind.
what he has accomplished in His 19 year career is unprecedented. And what really stood out to me was the way he adapted over the years and sustained his elite level of play even when his large 7 foot body frame started to slow him down.
What he pulled off in the later stages of his career is astounding.

For many years, I couldn't stand Duncan & The Spurs, considering throughout my lifetime, San Antonio [along with Boston] has always been the Lakers biggest rivalry.
So many endless battles, so many ups and downs, so much frustration, exhileration, and TD was always the focal point and the biggest thorn in our side.
At his peak, he was was one the most dominant big men who ever stepped foot on an NBA court. However, similar to Kobe, and IMO, it was his longevity that makes his unique career unparalleled.
What a blessing this guy has been to the NBA both on & off the court.

So long Timmy! your iconic legacy will forever live on..thank you for all that you've done. There will never again be another Tim Duncan. Best of luck to the next chapter in your life! :cheers:

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 05:57 PM

He had such a unique career, but I don't think you could say it could have gone any better in spite of how strangely things played out. By that I don't just mean his team and individual success, but also how he fit in with the league. He embodies the transition the NBA has made - which I think is the biggest transition since the merger.

With regards to the NBA as a whole, consider how he entered the league in the illegal defense era, had his young prime in the stout defensive era that began the zone defense era, had his old prime in the beginnings of the P&R era, and had his decline in the "bombs away" era where shooters are allowed freedom from any defense beyond heavy breathing, screeners are allowed to dislodge and disrupt any semblance of perimeter defense, and there are 2 totally different sets of rules for guards/wings and big men. He truly saw it all and thrived in it all.

With regards to the Spurs, consider his place on his team: he had basically 5 different #2 guys over the course of his career (Robinson, Bowen, Ginobili, Parker, and Leonard) and won with all of them. He turned a minor franchise into a powerhouse - something that is frequent in the MLB and NFL but unheard of before or since in the NBA's star-laden landscape. His ability and humility turned a gruff front-office type of basketball guy who was nearly given the axe into a coach that many view as the best, and certainly one of. This despite Pop being basically the antithesis of an NBA coach, who generally must be player's coaches and are lauded on those terms (in the case of Phil Jackson).

With regards to his individual accomplishments, allow me to expand a bit on my thoughts:

His calling card to me was his versatility as a big man and willingness to do anything. But he wasn't a role player by any means, he was a superstar with the mentality of a role player. I think his individual skills sometimes get downplayed when people praise his all-around game (particularly if you only paid attention to him during his decline) but consider:

- As a low post scorer he was overshadowed by Shaq in his prime in spite of him being one of the 5 finest big man scorers there has been. He didn't have a million moves like Hakeem but he had moves and counters for everything, and he was a genius at exploiting matchups. Even in old age he could get into the heads of guys like Ibaka and Howard with his scoring. Running hooks, fadeaways, turnarounds, bullyball, and of course the infamous bank shot to remind defenders they were too stupid to defend his utter simplicity of style.

- As a defender he was overshadowed by various guys like Ben Wallace and inexplicably never won a DPOY even though he has a very real argument as the best defensive player ever to lace them up. He was long and quick in his prime, much more agile than most bigs, and was an underrated athlete. He remained a top shot blocker until he retired even though he could barely jump because of elite instincts while his more heralded defensive counterparts saw their effectiveness sapped early when they lost athleticism. A lot of defense in basketball can be reduced simply to not making mistakes and that's why it's frustrating for players - Duncan was the king of minimizing mistakes and always contesting. It's not flashy but it wins ballgames.

- As a big man passer he's overshadowed by KG but yet he led his team in assists on a Championship run (2003). That's almost unheard of, I think Hakeem might have done it but I'm pretty sure that's it. He could do it all as a passer at elite levels: lead the break, give and go, kickouts, dumpoffs, and he ran the 4/5 P&R with Robinson as the passer when he was young. Very underrated his whole career because assists are not great at telling you about bigs passing and he wasn't a strictly high-post playmaker.

- As a rebounder he's overshadowed by Shaq, Wallace, and Howard but he bested them on the glass at various points in his career and remained a top rebounder until the very end. He had 1.8 fewer rebounds than Rasheed and Ben Wallace combined over the 2005 Finals. His team was always in the top 5, usually top 3, in defensive rebounding regardless of his teammates or style of play.

- As a P&R big man he's overshadowed by Amare but he beat him consistently and turned himself into a great P&R big man when the league moved that way. The 2014 Spurs epitomized the beauty of a P&R motion offense for a lot of people and make no mistake, Duncan's unique ability and willingness was the engine behind that machine. Without Duncan lumbering around sure-handedly and ready to pass or score, Parker doesn't jet around and push 50% from 2 point land over the back half of Duncan's career.

- As a gritty and driven player focused on winning he's overshadowed by Kobe, but he gladly accepted lesser roles consistently over the course of his career. He could have scored 20 PPG if he wanted to until a couple years ago probably, but it would have cost his team games and he wouldn't have been very efficient. He probably could have scored more in his late prime if he'd demanded it, but he gladly allowed his 2 scoring guard running mates to develop and utilize their best assets for the betterment of the team. He embraced defense from the get-go to the very end - rare for an NBA player who doesn't make his living exclusively on that end.

- As a do-it-all player he gets overshadowed by Lebron's unique skillset, but Duncan both could and did learn to do everything needed from a big man. Individual and team defense, scoring, passing, rebounding, screening, midrange shooting on the pop or to space his center - he spent lots of time doing all of it and always to complement what teammates he had. Not to mention the fact that he's retiring with the edge on "The King."

- As a Finals performer he gets overshadowed by MJ, Bird, Magic, Dream, or whomever you think of in your lore. And it's true that most teams in the West during Duncan's reign faced their serious competition in the WCF and WC Semis. But 3 of Duncan's 6 Finals were against elite teams, 2 were against defending champions, and another was against the defending EC champion. Duncan was part of the infamous 2014 Finals that saw 3 games essentially decided before halftime vs. the two-time reigning champs. He bested the team many consider the best defensive team of the era in 2005. And he had the infamous and alleged (though uncredited) quadruple double with a jaw-dropping 21 point/20 rebound/10 assist/8 block line in the closeout game 6 of the 2003 Finals - very arguably the single best individual Finals performance ever.

I'll close with one of my favorite quotes about Duncan from Pop himself, and with quite a Pop-y zing to it. I can't source it like it says but it's found elsewhere on the internet and I can't believe it's anything but true.

Great stuff here Flea

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 05:59 PM
oh. Maybe I should go read the post first haha, I was piggybacking off the ensuing convo

Lol all good

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Such a great player, sad to see him go. Great on both ends, I think one of the saddest (weirdest?) things about his career is that he never got a DPOY award. Oh well I guess he has to just live with all his other accomplishments lol.

Arguably a top 5 player all time, congrats on the amazing career Timmy.

Just a crime that he never won one ..

Chronz
07-11-2016, 06:06 PM
That was in 06. Spurs trailed the series 3-1, then forced a game 7 and had a 3 point lead with 32 seconds left. They hadn't lead all game until Manu hit a 3 at that point.

Then the next possession, Dirk is posting up Bowen and drives it in and has an easy layup, Manu gambles to try and block and fouls him giving Dirk a chance to tie it up (which he does) and Dallas went on to win that game in OT. That was the year Miami beat Dallas of course and could've been an opportunity for SA to win b2b.

Wasn't it an and1? You undersell the foul if so

Chronz
07-11-2016, 06:15 PM
I'm sure everyone has their own favorite Tim Duncan moment, but I'll never forget this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiqxO6NLMms

Despite the fact that the guy basically never shot 3-pointers and had almost no business being that far from the basket, the second he caught the ball and was that wide open, I just knew it was going in. And when it did, I got chills. I rarely get chills from watching players from teams other than my own favorites hit big shots, but I'll never forget that one. That shot cemented Duncan for me as one of the great all-time big game performers.

Not even clicking the link. Im guessing it was the suns shaq series. If notvfor that shot it goes 7

JasonJohnHorn
07-11-2016, 06:20 PM
I was really hoping for one more year. I wanted to see him play with Pau Gasol.

Not much to say. Big loss for the league and Spurs. Class act. One of a kind. Greatest power forward ever. Likely the greatest player of his generation, and certainly underrated, even among those who say he's the great PF ever. He really deserves to be in the conversation with Bird, and Magic, and Hakeem and Jordan.

I hope he has a change of heart and decides to come back and back up Pau. I have a feeling that the KD signing really pushed him in this direction. I feel like with that roster, nobody even has a chance, and if they don't have a chance, why hang on for one more year. But still... I would have like to see one more run form him. Something that sees him go out on a high note; not necessarily winning it all, but playing better than he did in the last post season.

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 06:30 PM
Wasn't it an and1? You undersell the foul if so

It was an and 1. I thought it'd add up I said we had a 3 point lead and on the next possession , etc...

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 06:35 PM
I've seen it mentioned here and in another thread, but the Durant decision had nothing to do with Tim's decision, whatsoever lol. His good knee went bad, and thus he felt he was unable to go at it anymore.

This guy is an ultimate competitor, and a superteam wouldn't have kept him from playing the game he loves, especially a game where he has nothing to prove. the Spurs doctor recently said most would guys wouldn't have played as long as they once Tim had his initial knee problem.

numba1CHANGsta
07-11-2016, 06:41 PM
Will we ever see a player win 6 championships with 1 team? Kobe and TD came close, the only one's who have a chance are Parker and Manu, with this being Manu's last season.

valade16
07-11-2016, 06:46 PM
Will we ever see a player win 6 championships with 1 team? Kobe and TD came close, the only one's who have a chance are Parker and Manu, with this being Manu's last season.

I'm assuming you mean in the future because that has happened throughout history a couple of times.

Avenged
07-11-2016, 06:49 PM
The Big Fundamental! Someone who has done it all as a player doesn't need to continue to kill his body and spend so much time away from family at his age. Yeah he can play a few more years - productively at that - but he doesn't need to win another ring or go "ring chasing". His legacy is cemented in the history books. Right at #7 all-time for me.

lol, please
07-11-2016, 07:15 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/tim-duncan-announces-retirement/

19 year career.
5 time champion.
top 10 player.

Discuss.

One of the ATG's. He will be missed. Duncan was all class, and played the right way.

Sadly it also means the Spurs will go into rebuild denial, try to hang with contenders for a season or two, and then be forced to fully embrace a rebuild.

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 07:35 PM
One of the ATG's. He will be missed. Duncan was all class, and played the right way.

Sadly it also means the Spurs will go into rebuild denial, try to hang with contenders for a season or two, and then be forced to fully embrace a rebuild.

Spurs rebuilt while TD was still there.. This FO knows what they're doing

Mell413
07-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Not that I didn't think he was any good before, but I wish I could go back and appreciate him more than I did. When I was younger I found him boring so I probably couldn't grasp how good he really was/is. Now that I'm older I appreciate him more.

lol, please
07-11-2016, 07:42 PM

Just a fantastic post all around. Thanks for this flea. Very well said.

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-11-2016, 07:54 PM
I was 12 years old when he was drafted and remember that Gillette shaving cream commercial he did with The Admiral his rookie year. And now he's retiring an NBA legend after 19 years. Times like this is when you realize you're getting old [emoji1]

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 08:44 PM

kdspurman
07-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Tim's top 10 Career Plays on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL1sORY3Kh4

Crossovers, 3 pointer, off the backboard alley-oop to himself, etc... Basically, the Duncan many on here either don't remember or never saw.

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 09:43 PM

Mmm.... That's still a pretty damn good basketball team with arguably the best coach in all of professional sports. I certainly call them "in denial."

LaLa_Land
07-11-2016, 10:00 PM
Just a bonafide legend.

His "boring" approach didn't lead to a career as a media-hyped superstar, but it did lead to nearly two decades of supreme dominance in the post.

In an era where the big man is fading and becoming something else, I'm glad to have seen Timmy do what he did in his prime.

mike_noodles
07-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Glad to have seen him play.

LA_Raiders
07-11-2016, 11:42 PM
Great player and great career. I really enjoyed beating them. The good ones are gone; all is left is a bunch of freeloaders that want to play in stacked teams.

Aust
07-12-2016, 12:45 AM
:clap:

:hat-tip:

S & B Bleeder
07-12-2016, 03:07 AM
Incredibly BORING player to watch.

Props to him getting 5 rings with the absolute snoozefest that was the Spurs teams he anchored.

Both have 5 rings, but I'll take the 10 times more exciting player in Kobe over Duncan any day. TD was never a repeat champion, which knocks him out of the top 5 of all time.

Nice career. Spurs games just got a little more exciting with him gone, though.

Jeffy25
07-12-2016, 03:29 AM
the model professional in this sport. He should be praised more than he is

Goat PF?

monty77
07-12-2016, 06:31 AM
It is very sad when these players retire, because in my case, I have followed NBA since 1998-99 vividly, so I only missed his rookie season. When you follow the whole career of this kind of player you cannot avoid being really sad because you believe a part of this sport has died. He was one of the smarter players on the floor. He didn’t need to be physical in order to success because he was technically the best player in the league.

He never gave any reason to be hated. He was always a serious person, who was focused in the game and nothing else, just basketball, and anything else matters him. The way he took advantage of the board, the way he moved his foot. It was always about the team, he always do what team needed to win. There are not players like him in the league anymore.

Here in Spain, there was a sportscaster called Andrés Montes, the best in basketball ever, who passed away 7 years ago. He gave up NBA games two years before, so it have passed 9 years since he left NBA world. Andres Montes put nicknames to almost every player, and he called him “Tim 21st century Duncan” in Spanish would be “Tim siglo ventiuno Duncan”, because he considered Duncan represented the next generation, along with Kevin Garnett.

As time passes, there are fewer players with his nicknames, so every year, this sportscaster die a little more, so to speak, so it is particularly sad to me in this aspect too. Nostalgia effect I guess, but when begin to follow this sport is when you are more attached to it, and all seems you better. Besides I am 32, and it is more difficult to have idols when they are younger than you. So this year has been a very difficult year, after Kobe’s and Duncan’s departure.

Next year will be Garnett turn, and the other one Nowitzki. I hope these special players found a proper replacement, able to replace them as decently as they did with Jordan, Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Olajuwon, Stockton, Drexler and company.

McAllen Tx
07-12-2016, 07:16 AM

Sad day.

One of very few last players of a dying breed. Like another poster mentioned Manu & TP also but I think TP may end up playing a season or 2 with another team. Can't forget Haslem as well.

JasonJohnHorn
07-12-2016, 08:06 AM

Props to him getting 5 rings with the absolute snoozefest that was the Spurs teams he anchored.

Both have 5 rings, but I'll take the 10 times more exciting player in Kobe over Duncan any day. TD was never a repeat champion, which knocks him out of the top 5 of all time.

Well... he may not have won back-to-back titles, but neither did he ever miss the playoffs or have back-to-back seasons where he missed the playoffs, which Kobe did.

So there's that.

Jeez.... this thread isn't about who's better: Kobe or Duncan. It's about appreciating a great player.

Congratulations on making this about a guy who had to take his entire team down with hims so he could do one last lap around the league and make it into some pathetic side show, and who stopped his team from being able to rebuild because he sacred all the good free agents way. If that's what you'd prefer, then enjoying watching a team that is lottery bound.

TheDish87
07-12-2016, 10:38 AM

there was never anything boring about those Spurs teams, if you get off on watching a Kobe chuck 35 shots than thats cool but i find that boring sometimes. Give me ball movement and brilliant play on the court all day for excitement. This whole post sucked, do better.

Chronz
07-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Tim Duncan has cost me so much money over the years. Starting in 2003 when he made Kobe, Fish and seemingly all of my friends cry. When he made the shot that set up Fishers .4, I was already contemplating ditching the country. I thought the Pistons would win in 05, I did correctly predict it would be the least productive series of his career and won a side bet with the fellas on that one.

Thats about the last time I went against Duncan.

Chronz
07-12-2016, 11:20 AM
there was never anything boring about those Spurs teams, if you get off on watching a Kobe chuck 35 shots than thats cool but i find that boring sometimes. Give me ball movement and brilliant play on the court all day for excitement. This whole post sucked, do better.

They were kind of boring back in the day tho, defensively they were sound but they ran some vanilla offense. It wasn't until they got Manu that I saw more unpredictability in their game.

Tony_Starks
07-12-2016, 11:37 AM

Impressive.

Sidenote, how did Wade and Kobe hit all those banks?

kdspurman
07-12-2016, 11:39 AM
They were kind of boring back in the day tho, defensively they were sound but they ran some vanilla offense. It wasn't until they got Manu that I saw more unpredictability in their game.

Idk, I thought TD when he first came in especially, (those first few years) he was exciting to watch. Mid 2000's he really became more of a post up most of the times once they got some shooters around him, but before that he was dribbling on the perimeter, running fast breaks (he actually was fast at some point lol), dunking, catching alley-oops, etc...

His game changed so much through the years, but it never hurt his impact on the game.

kdspurman
07-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Impressive.

Sidenote, how did Wade and Kobe hit all those banks?

I just figure from the post/fadeaway. I'd bet many of those were from Kobe's latter part of his career when his footwork improved and had worked with Hakeem. He always was sound fundamentally, but you could tell the influence Dream had on him. Along with MJ of course

Tony_Starks
07-12-2016, 11:48 AM
I just figure from the post/fadeaway. I'd bet many of those were from Kobe's latter part of his career when his footwork improved and had worked with Hakeem. He always was sound fundamentally, but you could tell the influence Dream had on him. Along with MJ of course

True.

Kinda sad when you think about it, with Kobe and Timmy gone those may be the most fundamentally sound Big and Wing we may see for a while.

Especially how in Duncan's case the post game is almost non existent for Bigs now, and in Kobes case the mid post game for guards is practically unheard of.

kdspurman
07-12-2016, 12:09 PM
True.

Kinda sad when you think about it, with Kobe and Timmy gone those may be the most fundamentally sound Big and Wing we may see for a while.

Especially how in Duncan's case the post game is almost non existent for Bigs now, and in Kobes case the mid post game for guards is practically unheard of.

Yea.. It's very sad man, I was preparing for it, but it didn't help lol

I came across this video (along with many others)

https://youtu.be/cCqKwYeKq_4?t=42s

The Kobe cross over on Kidd and dishes to Duncan with the slam on Mutumbo. Great stuff

PurpleLynch
07-12-2016, 12:20 PM
the model professional in this sport. He should be praised more than he is

Goat PF?

Absolutely yes,in my eyes he is the best pf of all time. He has stats,championships,accolades,records that form a complete and legendary career.

hidalgo
07-12-2016, 02:16 PM
he's ahead of Kobe all time for sure. both have 5 titles, but the huge difference is 4 times TD won a title as the clear best player on his team(Kobe only 2). game over right there, but there's more. he had 2 mvps to kobe's whopping 1. 3 finals mvps to kobe's 2. all 50+ win seasons his whole career. kobe not even close that. it's a no brainer, TD wins this

3 best players since MJ retired. TD, LeBron, & Shaquille

Tony_Starks
07-12-2016, 02:43 PM
he's ahead of Kobe all time for sure. both have 5 titles, but the huge difference is 4 times TD won a title as the clear best player on his team(Kobe only 2). game over right there, but there's more. he had 2 mvps to kobe's whopping 1. 3 finals mvps to kobe's 2. all 50+ win seasons his whole career. kobe not even close that. it's a no brainer, TD wins this

3 best players since MJ retired. TD, LeBron, & Shaquille

You're hate is consistent but at least fact check it. Duncan has 3 fmvps, not 4 as the "clear cut best player."

hidalgo
07-12-2016, 02:47 PM
yea, but he was their obvious best player when Tony Parker won the finals mvp in 2007. i know my facts, but nobody thinks Tony Parker was even close to TD's level then. the award probably should have went to TD. Regardless he was still their best player on 4 of 5 titles. kobe only 2 of 5

Tony_Starks
07-12-2016, 03:20 PM
yea, but he was their obvious best player when Tony Parker won the finals mvp in 2007. i know my facts, but nobody thinks Tony Parker was even close to TD's level then. the award probably should have went to TD. Regardless he was still their best player on 4 of 5 titles. kobe only 2 of 5

If you say so. You're entitled to your opinion. Just like my opinion is Kobe was often the better player in the Western Playoffs that were actually more difficult than the actual Finals.

I know Kobe has 11 first all NBA nods to Timmys 10 tho....

hidalgo
07-12-2016, 03:55 PM
If you say so. You're entitled to your opinion. Just like my opinion is Kobe was often the better player in the Western Playoffs that were actually more difficult than the actual Finals.

I know Kobe has 11 first all NBA nods to Timmys 10 tho....in 2000 it wasn't even debatable about who played better throught the west playoffs, it was shaq easily. and Indiana was the best team they faced in my opinion. those pacers took MJ's Bulls to game 7, a close game 7, scary team Indiana was

2001 the west was weak, and didn't even bother showing up, so who cares. the team who wanted to put up a challenge was Philly, and that's when Shaq took over. it's easy to do good when teams are laying down for you, but when they put up a fight that's when your best player steps up. Shaq

2002. Shaq put up better numbers through the playoffs, and the most importantly the WCF

no getting around it, shaq was the man. when Kobe tried to take over 2003 and 2004 0 championships is what happened. really 2009 if KG didn't get injured Boston probably wins it again, and 2010 if Perkins doesn't miss game 7 Boston wins.(celtics 3 peat could have happened with health) lucky breaks

Tony_Starks
07-12-2016, 04:08 PM
in 2000 it wasn't even debatable about who played better throught the west playoffs, it was shaq easily. and Indiana was the best team they faced in my opinion. those pacers took MJ's Bulls to game 7, a close game 7, scary team Indiana was

2001 the west was weak, and didn't even bother showing up, so who cares. the team who wanted to put up a challenge was Philly, and that's when Shaq took over. it's easy to do good when teams are laying down for you, but when they put up a fight that's when your best player steps up. Shaq

2002. Shaq put up better numbers through the playoffs, and the most importantly the WCF

no getting around it, shaq was the man. when Kobe tried to take over 2003 and 2004 0 championships is what happened. really 2009 if KG didn't get injured Boston probably wins it again, and 2010 if Perkins doesn't miss game 7 Boston wins.(celtics 3 peat could have happened with health) lucky breaks

Sounds like you didn't really watch. If you had there's no way you would discount some of Kobes performances like in the Finals against the Pacers in OT when Shaq fouled out, or dropping 40something against the Kings, going toe to toe with the Pippens and Bonzis of the world for Portland or killing the Spurs.

But whatever, not my job to convince you. You're talking about the hypotheticals against Boston sounds pretty salty btw, we won that. The woulda couldas don't matter, you can do that with literally every Finals.

S & B Bleeder
07-12-2016, 04:10 PM
in 2000 it wasn't even debatable about who played better throught the west playoffs, it was shaq easily. and Indiana was the best team they faced in my opinion. those pacers took MJ's Bulls to game 7, a close game 7, scary team Indiana was

I laughed. Hard.

Kobe, NOT Shaq, was the one who put the dagger in the Spurs heart time and time again. TD and Shaq cancelled each other out (im being nice, TD routinely schooled Shaq and knew that Shaq couldnt defend the pick and roll to save his life) in every one of those series. Kobe was the MAIN difference, and it isnt up for debate.

In 2003/2004, Shaq got incredibly FAT and famously 'played his way into shape' (his words), and missed big chunks of the season. Kobe kept them afloat. Shaq's play in the Detroit finals was nothing short of pathetic. He was fat and slow, and played like it against Ben Wallace, who OWNED him. The year before when they lost to the Spurs, Kobe called Shaq out publicly for being VERY out of shape and costing them a shot at a 4peat when Horry's shot rimmed out to end that series.

Without Kobe and Wade, Shaq NEVER sniffs a title. He had a STACKED Orlando team in his prime with a prime Penny Hardaway and still couldnt win the chip. Shaq's LUCKY to have played with a legend like Kobe and a prime stud D-Wade who are both Hall of Fame locks.

Even Wilt Chamberlain called out Shaq for being lazy and nearly smashed his seat in the 1998-1999 playoffs when the Spurs swept The Lakers and Shaq was missing shots left and right. Just because he has the Superman ink, doesnt mean he WAS superman. Shaq had MANY flaws, his work ethic being #1.

If Kobe and Duncan played together, they have AT LEAST 8 titles. AT LEAST.

Too bad Buss/West didnt trade Shaq for that Spurs pick.

Tony_Starks
07-12-2016, 04:12 PM
I laughed. Hard.

Kobe, NOT Shaq, was the one who put the dagger in the Spurs heart time and time again. TD and Shaq cancelled each other out (im being nice, TD routinely schooled Shaq and knew that Shaq couldnt defend the pick and roll to save his life) in every one of those series. Kobe was the MAIN difference, and it isnt up for debate.

In 2003/2004, Shaq got incredibly FAT and famously 'played his way into shape' (his words), and missed big chunks of the season. Kobe kept them afloat. Shaq's play in the Detroit finals was nothing short of pathetic. He was fat and slow, and played like it against Ben Wallace, who OWNED him. The year before when they lost to the Spurs, Kobe called Shaq out publicly for being VERY out of shape and costing them a shot at a 4peat when Horry's shot rimmed out to end that series.

Without Kobe and Wade, Shaq NEVER sniffs a title. He had a STACKED Orlando team in his prime with a prime Penny Hardaway and still couldnt win the chip. Shaq's LUCKY to have played with a legend like Kobe and a prime stud D-Wade who are both Hall of Fame locks.

Even Wilt Chamberlain called out Shaq for being lazy and nearly smashed his seat in the 1998-1999 playoffs when the Spurs swept The Lakers and Shaq was missing shots left and right. Just because he has the Superman ink, doesnt mean he WAS superman. Shaq had MANY flaws, his work ethic being #1.

You put in more effort than me sir, appreciate it.

I quickly saw the hating agenda and tapped out but it's obvious he knows nothing of the epic closing that took place during those runs.

Chronz
07-12-2016, 04:22 PM
Idk, I thought TD when he first came in especially, (those first few years) he was exciting to watch. Mid 2000's he really became more of a post up most of the times once they got some shooters around him, but before that he was dribbling on the perimeter, running fast breaks (he actually was fast at some point lol), dunking, catching alley-oops, etc...

His game changed so much through the years, but it never hurt his impact on the game.

Yeah TD was always a fun watch but when you're talking about TEAMS, you need more than the Duncan show. Shaq and Kobe, Dirk-Nash-VanExel-Finley, Webber-Bibby-Peja, etc...

I didn't see much of them in 99 so I mightve missed the best of the twin towers set up but from 2000 onward, they only became a fun team to watch when they got Manu. Ill never forget the game that turned me on to him. Pop was either playing one of his mental mind games or they were really injured but TP and Duncan sat out vs the Lakers Big-4 and he just went ham.

Chronz
07-12-2016, 04:26 PM
I laughed. Hard.

Calm down guy, hes simply saying that TD was his teams undisputed best player for 4 of his 5 titles. Citing a F.MVP is like saying Iggy was his teams best player last year. Regardless of how many facts you wish to twist (lol at Kobe keeping the team afloat when they were heading towards the lottery before Shaq saved their season), most would agree that Shaq was his teams best player.

hidalgo
07-12-2016, 04:29 PM
I laughed. Hard.

Too bad Buss/West didnt trade Shaq for that Spurs pick.nonsense, the video and numbers back me up. Ben Wallace owned him? lol, Shaq was the only one on the team shooting over 30 something %,(26 ppg 60+%FG, to kobe's 22 38%FG trash) Shaq he was killing detroit and kobe refused to get him the ball more and took hero shot bricks against Tayshon Prince who shut him down. he blew it plain and simple. the numbers and video don't lie. calling Shaq's play in the 2004 finals pathetic is beyond laughable, and a disgrace. Shaq was better when kobe was there and anyone that knows hoops can admit that easily. polls will always reflect this. finals mvps reflect it. ppg reflect it. the list goes on. Shaq was unstoppable, and their main option, and reason they won. period

Kobe has 3 sidekick titles, deal with it

as their team's best player
TD 4 titles
KB 2 titles

kdspurman
07-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Pop's press conference today on Timmy. :( Choked back a couple times. Their bond goes far beyond basketball. Especially when he talked about a promise he made to Tim's father before he passed re: Tim.

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/coach-pop-talks-about-tims-retirement

flea
07-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Pop's press conference today on Timmy. :( Choked back a couple times. Their bond goes far beyond basketball. Especially when he talked about a promise he made to Tim's father before he passed re: Tim.

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/coach-pop-talks-about-tims-retirement

Good stuff.

One more thing I'll add about Duncan's offense in general. Newer fans may not realize that the Spurs rode their star just as much as Lebron's first stint with Cavs, Kareem's Bucks, Malone's Jazz, or anyone else on offense. It wasn't a P&R motion offense until past his prime - the entire offense was Duncan in the low, mid or high post and watch him make plays. He routinely ate up defenders in the playoffs even though you had to double him most of the time.

One reason I think this gets lost is because people just read stat lines. But you have to remember the Spurs were generally less talented than other teams until 2007 or so - they played at a very slow pace so that Duncan could impact the game more. The better the offense, the slower they played, to the chagrin of every Suns fan out there.

Look at these notorious big man scorers and their per 100 possession PPG through age 30 (playoffs only, exhibition stats are only for 2nd tier players):

K. Malone: 33.4
M. Malone: 27.8
Barkley: 30.2
McHale: 27.2
Dream: 33.0
Robinson: 31.6
Ewing: 31.7
Shaq: 37.3
Dirk: 31.9
Kareem: 34.4
Duncan 32.3

Nope not a typo, but I think a lot of fans would be surprised to learn that prime Duncan was a higher volume scorer on a possession basis than Dirk in the playoffs. I bet Duncan will be a criminally underrated offensive player in the years to come, but in my humble opinion he's got an argument as the best offensive big man when you consider his passing, screen and roll ability, mid-post, and mid-range game in addition to his low-post game.

EDIT: Misread Kareem's columns and fixed it. I did so because we don't have per 100 possession stats for Kareem prior to his age 26 season (73-74) so Kareem's line only includes 3 of the 7 playoff seasons he had through age 30. FWIW Kareem scored 2.3 points fewer PER36 in his first 4 playoff years than he did in his last 3 through age 30. So his per 100 possession line would almost certainly be a bit closer to 33.

hidalgo
07-12-2016, 08:25 PM
i'll really miss Duncan, maybe the best player since MJ. him or LeBron

and Pop has always been a great coach, and hilarious

Scoots
07-12-2016, 09:21 PM
With all the d*ck measuring going on here don't know if anybody posted this post by Etan Thomas to his facebook page:

Here is my Tim Duncan story
So we're playing the Spurs and I get the ball on the post. I inside pivot and sweep to the middle for my jump hook and he blocks it. So as we are running down the court he says to me "that was a good move but you have to get more into my body so you can either draw the foul or I can't block it". So I didn't know if he was talking noise or what so just kind of looked at him confused and said ok. Then, a few plays later I did it again got more into his body and he couldn't block it. I missed the shot and he looked at me and said much better and kept playing lol. I remember calling my boy Zee Chilton and telling him this story lol Tim Duncan is honestly one of the nicest guys in the NBA and the best power forward ever in NBA history. Respect

If just talking to your opponent is going to piss your teammates off, how are they going to feel about you improving their game DURING THE GAME? If you are Tim Duncan, your teammates learn that it's just you and they love you for it.

One Nut Kruk
07-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Let's be honest, he's labeled as boring because he's the whitest black guy to ever play the game. He was an awesome player.

naps
07-13-2016, 09:42 AM
Watching Pop speak for 15 mins with teary eyes about Duncan is the greatest thing out of all things Duncan retirement that will stick to my memory for a long long time. It was brilliant, deep, genuine, and yet emotional as hell. Pop is a true father figure and a legendary leader.

kdspurman
07-13-2016, 10:03 AM
TD will interview on his best friends radio station today.

kdspurman
07-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Good stuff.

One more thing I'll add about Duncan's offense in general. Newer fans may not realize that the Spurs rode their star just as much as Lebron's first stint with Cavs, Kareem's Bucks, Malone's Jazz, or anyone else on offense. It wasn't a P&R motion offense until past his prime - the entire offense was Duncan in the low, mid or high post and watch him make plays. He routinely ate up defenders in the playoffs even though you had to double him most of the time.

One reason I think this gets lost is because people just read stat lines. But you have to remember the Spurs were generally less talented than other teams until 2007 or so - they played at a very slow pace so that Duncan could impact the game more. The better the offense, the slower they played, to the chagrin of every Suns fan out there.

Look at these notorious big man scorers and their per 100 possession PPG through age 30 (playoffs only, exhibition stats are only for 2nd tier players):

K. Malone: 33.4
M. Malone: 27.8
Barkley: 30.2
McHale: 27.2
Dream: 33.0
Robinson: 31.6
Ewing: 31.7
Shaq: 37.3
Dirk: 31.9
Kareem: 34.4
Duncan 32.3

Nope not a typo, but I think a lot of fans would be surprised to learn that prime Duncan was a higher volume scorer on a possession basis than Dirk in the playoffs. I bet Duncan will be a criminally underrated offensive player in the years to come, but in my humble opinion he's got an argument as the best offensive big man when you consider his passing, screen and roll ability, mid-post, and mid-range game in addition to his low-post game.

EDIT: Misread Kareem's columns and fixed it. I did so because we don't have per 100 possession stats for Kareem prior to his age 26 season (73-74) so Kareem's line only includes 3 of the 7 playoff seasons he had through age 30. FWIW Kareem scored 2.3 points fewer PER36 in his first 4 playoff years than he did in his last 3 through age 30. So his per 100 possession line would almost certainly be a bit closer to 33.

I agree, many people forget the responsibility he had, and as you mention they don't factor in the slow pace they played. But you just knew when the playoffs came around his game would go up another level. He wasn't a quitter in any series, and he always gave it his all. Sounds cliche, but we don't get that from some of these stars today.

Fifty Thirty Eight just put something out about Duncan being the best two-way player in modern history. It's an interesting read, I've heard mixed things about FiftyThirtyEight in general, but interesting nonetheless.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/farewell-to-tim-duncan-the-greatest-two-way-player-in-modern-nba-history/

kdspurman
07-13-2016, 12:15 PM

YAALREADYKNO
07-13-2016, 12:23 PM

Man I miss the days when the Spurs and Mavs went at it. The Spurs had the advantage in that rivalry but every now and then the Mavs would get them.

kdspurman
07-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Man I miss the days when the Spurs and Mavs went at it. The Spurs had the advantage in that rivalry but every now and then the Mavs would get them.

Mavs got us a couple times haha. It was always a pleasure to watch them go at it. Couldn't stand guys like Terry/Cuban cause they ran their mouths too much lol. But it would always end up being fun.

It'll be so different now

kdspurman
07-13-2016, 12:56 PM
Coming across some oldies, but goodies

Greg Oden: “Everyone's been telling me that as a big man, no matter how much I prepare myself, you learn your toughest lesson when you go down to San Antonio. The other day [former NBA player and Blazers assistant coach] Monty Williams pulled me aside and told me: "That guy down there" -- meaning Tim Duncan -- "has had surgery on his left knee. He can only jump about this high [holds his fingers about an inch apart]. He won't say a word to you, and he will Bust. Your. A--."

Etan Thomas
“Here is my Tim Duncan story. So we’re playing the Spurs and I get the ball on the post. I inside pivot and sweep to the middle for my jump hook and he blocks it. So as we are running down the court he says to me “that was a good move but you have to get more into my body so you can either draw the foul or I can’t block it”.
So I didn’t know if he was talking noise or what so just kind of looked at him confused and said ok. Then, a few plays later I did it again got more into his body and he couldn’t block it. I missed the shot and he looked at me and said much better and kept playing lol. I remember calling my boy Zee Chilton and telling him this story lol Tim Duncan is honestly one of the nicest guys in the NBA and one of the best power forwards ever. Respect.”

Shaq
"Unbreakable power forward. No [elbow] could break him. No loss of a championship could break him. Nothing could break him.
"You know how I played: I tried to intimidate guys and 'bow guys, but none of that ever fazed him. As far as giving me problems, he's right behind Hakeem Olajuwon. Not because of his moves. Because of his mind."
“I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinson’s face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored. Whenever I run into a Tim Duncan fan who will claim Tim Duncan is the GOAT, I won’t disagree with him.”

David Robinson
“We get Tim in ‘97, and I’m like, ‘Yes!’ People had no clue how good this guy really was,” Robinson told ******. “Then we went to Colorado, and I brought Tim to my house in Colorado, started working out with him every day, and just watching him, that guy could score at will on me. I thought, hey, I’m a pretty decent defensive player, and he could do this on me? He could do it on anyone.”

kdspurman
07-13-2016, 01:26 PM
Wow. TD said he stopped enjoying himself and it wasn't as fun at times, and that played a big part in his decision. Didn't expect that.

Said he feels like he could still play.

Think he's downplaying his knee injury a bit, but a little surprising to hear it.

kdspurman
07-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Amazing interview with TD. Over an hour long. Such a good dude

kdspurman
07-13-2016, 03:13 PM

FlashBolt
07-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Coming across some oldies, but goodies

Greg Oden: “Everyone's been telling me that as a big man, no matter how much I prepare myself, you learn your toughest lesson when you go down to San Antonio. The other day [former NBA player and Blazers assistant coach] Monty Williams pulled me aside and told me: "That guy down there" -- meaning Tim Duncan -- "has had surgery on his left knee. He can only jump about this high [holds his fingers about an inch apart]. He won't say a word to you, and he will Bust. Your. A--."

Etan Thomas
“Here is my Tim Duncan story. So we’re playing the Spurs and I get the ball on the post. I inside pivot and sweep to the middle for my jump hook and he blocks it. So as we are running down the court he says to me “that was a good move but you have to get more into my body so you can either draw the foul or I can’t block it”.
So I didn’t know if he was talking noise or what so just kind of looked at him confused and said ok. Then, a few plays later I did it again got more into his body and he couldn’t block it. I missed the shot and he looked at me and said much better and kept playing lol. I remember calling my boy Zee Chilton and telling him this story lol Tim Duncan is honestly one of the nicest guys in the NBA and one of the best power forwards ever. Respect.”

Shaq
"Unbreakable power forward. No [elbow] could break him. No loss of a championship could break him. Nothing could break him.
"You know how I played: I tried to intimidate guys and 'bow guys, but none of that ever fazed him. As far as giving me problems, he's right behind Hakeem Olajuwon. Not because of his moves. Because of his mind."
“I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinson’s face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored. Whenever I run into a Tim Duncan fan who will claim Tim Duncan is the GOAT, I won’t disagree with him.”

David Robinson
“We get Tim in ‘97, and I’m like, ‘Yes!’ People had no clue how good this guy really was,” Robinson told ******. “Then we went to Colorado, and I brought Tim to my house in Colorado, started working out with him every day, and just watching him, that guy could score at will on me. I thought, hey, I’m a pretty decent defensive player, and he could do this on me? He could do it on anyone.”

This is why everyone loves Duncan. Dude cared about winning but just really loved the art of basketball.

Chronz
07-13-2016, 03:47 PM
Lmfao. That manu

kdspurman
07-14-2016, 09:36 AM
RC Buford interview with Woj. Another emotional one, he kinda broke down at the end.

"More often than not the only reason he didnt play his best at the end of the year wasnt because he was playing poorly, it was because his body was letting him down"

"A year ago, he was still All NBA when he felt good, this year the good knee got tweaked in December and it just never, we never could get it calmed down and it was that point in time where the body finally limited him to a point that he couldnt play to what he wanted to do"

"I think he fully expected to continue to play had the good knee not blown up"

RC on the Spurs pitch during TD Free Agency:

"We probably couldnt have screwed it up worse than we did"

"We focused more on trying to convince him that Orlando wasnt the place for him than we focused on who we were"

"The meeting that we shared with tim was a disaster... Pop and Timmy's relationship saved us... "

kdspurman
07-14-2016, 09:55 AM
The shooting machines used in practice, Woj said he heard that Tim always folded it up and put it away on his own. Didn't let an intern/ball boy do it like pretty much everyone does.

RC said Tim never let other people do his job for him. Once in a lifetime superstar... His humility is beyond belief. Not an entitled guy, just a great person/teammate. Don't think we'll see anything like him again.

kdspurman
07-14-2016, 09:57 AM
This is why everyone loves Duncan. Dude cared about winning but just really loved the art of basketball.

Yea. The more I hear about him from all these interviews and stuff, it's just making me appreciate him even more, which I thought was an impossibility

kdspurman
07-18-2016, 09:16 PM
some great quotes in here that really show not only how great a player TD was, but the kind of teammate he was. Truly, 1 of a kind.

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/features/david_aldridge/07/18/morning-tip-teammates-opponents-reflect-on-tim-duncan/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt6d

Brent Barry: I can also tell you about being in Denver and playing against the Nuggets and throwing a lob pass to Francisco Elson at the end of the first-quarter with too much time on the clock. A wide-open teammate that I threw a perfect lob pass on a relatively high percentage play to get a late two-point shot to add to our advantage at the end of the first-quarter that was not completed. And how the Nuggets came down and had the opportunity to score in the first quarter, and the clock management that I as a cerebral player had botched in this particular instance. I've never had a coach more upset about a completely seemingly innocuous play than the net lob pass in Denver. And no matter what coach has ever yelled at a player, there's a surreal genius in the madness that someone with the gravitas of Coach Popovich has in those moments.
Pop lit into me like the Fourth of July and not one of my teammates didn't notice or didn't hear the particular exchange. Exchange is probably too strong a word because I said nothing.
As the first quarter timeout finished and I found my new place to start a quarter on the bench I sat next to Tim. He said a couple words but more importantly set with his arm around me for the next two minutes as the second-quarter got underway; his big hands on my shoulder felt like a fathers hands on his five-year-old son protecting him pulling him in and letting them know not to worry everything was going to be all right but that he had been there too.
I share that story only because this is really the essence of Tim. In the quietest moments, in the minutes spent behind closed doors, on the uninterrupted walks to and from practice on the road.... His authenticity and realness filled your being.

Just 1 of the quotes from Brent Barry, but there are others that just continue to add to the legacy of TD.

SilverFalco8
07-18-2016, 09:39 PM
So sad to see him go. The NBA will feel a bit weird to me without Kobe or Duncan on my TV when a Spurs or Lakers game is on.

kdspurman
08-07-2016, 09:50 PM
This is amazing... My goodness

and the recently retired Lord Tim Duncan has the lowest rate ever for a player with a significant amount of blocks. He had 3020 career blocks to 15 total goaltending violations — and yeah, that’s less than one per season.

Only 15 goaltends in his career... Just amazing timing and awareness.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2016/07/26/introducing-dredge-a-play-by-play-derived-metric/

5ass
08-07-2016, 10:23 PM
Thanks for these posts kdspursman

kdspurman
08-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Thanks for these posts kdspursman

No prob.. :cheers: lots of interesting tidbits started coming out, so sharing for the true basketball enthusiasts who can appreciate this kind of stuff

flea
08-07-2016, 11:57 PM
That's pretty nuts. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been a few overzealous wings over the last 20 years that have put up 15 goaltends in a single season.

europagnpilgrim
08-08-2016, 12:40 AM
TD definitely got played by the Spurs seeing how they just re signed Ginobili for like 14-15mill this season but was giving the Big Foundation/Fundamental 5-10mill per his final years, they should have gave him that type of money and go over the luxury tax to do it to show how much he meant to that team since 97', Dirk is about to get 50mill over 2years as a appreciation token from Mavs and he is not worth that right now but what he has done for that team since 98' is what that is all about, and Spurs have money to burn since they win big and are in the biggest oil($$) state in the country

he opted in at 5.6mill or so before retiring, that is downright disrespectful to the legend of Duncan

and I don't want to hear he wasn't about money because he was about money or he wouldn't have gotten hosed by that crooked agent who took him for 10's of millions while trying to make big money on investments, money is always a factor no matter how it is perceived by athletes/media

Duncan is a class act and has been a dominant player with the same demeanor since playing at Wake Forest but I just had to get that off my chest because it was pure bs by the Spurs to let him take such a steep paycut knowing he had gotten hosed by that crooked agent and has delivered 5 titles in 19 years

kdspurman
08-08-2016, 09:36 AM
TD definitely got played by the Spurs seeing how they just re signed Ginobili for like 14-15mill this season but was giving the Big Foundation/Fundamental 5-10mill per his final years, they should have gave him that type of money and go over the luxury tax to do it to show how much he meant to that team since 97', Dirk is about to get 50mill over 2years as a appreciation token from Mavs and he is not worth that right now but what he has done for that team since 98' is what that is all about, and Spurs have money to burn since they win big and are in the biggest oil($$) state in the country

he opted in at 5.6mill or so before retiring, that is downright disrespectful to the legend of Duncan

and I don't want to hear he wasn't about money because he was about money or he wouldn't have gotten hosed by that crooked agent who took him for 10's of millions while trying to make big money on investments, money is always a factor no matter how it is perceived by athletes/media

Duncan is a class act and has been a dominant player with the same demeanor since playing at Wake Forest but I just had to get that off my chest because it was pure bs by the Spurs to let him take such a steep paycut knowing he had gotten hosed by that crooked agent and has delivered 5 titles in 19 years

I understand what you're saying, but TD did that in order to keep the team competitive. He said post-retirement that it was never about the money with him. He is just quite possibly the most selfless/humble superstar ever.

Re: Manu, out of the big 3, he has probably sacrificed more than anyone, and this last (presumingly) contract for Manu is the 2nd most he's earned throughout his career. And SA had money left that they were not going to spend on any other players, so why not reward Manu with it for all he's done/sacrificed?

TD, when you look at his body of work and accomplishments, it's easy to say he got played. But he was definitely taken care of over his career. Often times he was in the top 5-7 of highest contracts, and that's in a smaller market. I mean he opted in, so he didn't necessarily sacrifice more. He could have opted out and taken less again, but since he was retiring, he decided to take the $, which he absolutely earned.

BTW, at the end of the day, I wouldn't be surprised if he was taken care of behind the scenes by the team anyway.

kdspurman
08-08-2016, 09:37 AM
That's pretty nuts. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been a few overzealous wings over the last 20 years that have put up 15 goaltends in a single season.

It's crazy. And it's because some of these wings like to get their blocked shots on a highlight reel, vs actually preventing points from being scored and/or retaining possession.

I saw a stat a few years ago about TD and retaining block shots for his team. I would like to see what that number was over the course of his career

kdspurman
08-09-2016, 04:05 PM
A part of TD's game that I think he improved in tremendously as his career progressed, but doesn't always get the recognition, his passing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng8CN-Q5fDk&index=1&list=FLRnyydg4gypu3dl1vxBRYJA

The high/low and entry passes though seem simple, is something not a lot of bigs can make. He's a tremendous outlet passer, and the way he hits the back door cutter, just incredible accuracy. And gotta love the play he and Kawhi developed, where he throws an alley-oop from the 3 point line. He always improved something in his game, even if it was minor and not noticeable to the every day fan.

Here are some other vids that were just uploaded to YouTube. Great to see some of these highlights/games that weren't available before.

Duncan vs Garnett in 99 Gotta love Garnett getting right in Timmy's face and TD just smiles at him. This one is about 14 mins long of action between both of those guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uhRYHBwAao

More highlights against Garnett from their 2001 playoff series game TD Puts up 33 & 15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYUVrHxRww8

A 2000 battle with the Mailman & the Jazz Timmy put up 46 & 14 in this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_skY-NCd-Uc

kdspurman
09-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Another cool story about TD

Chris Ballard’s Sports Illustrated story on the high school phenom and Sonics center’s long road in and out of the NBA, featured in this week’s issue of the magazine, details an on-court interaction between Duncan and Swift, then a teenage rookie.

Although Swift’s NBA career would diverge from Duncan’s, the future Hall of Famer’s surprising in-game defensive crash course left quite an impression.

Here's an excerpt from Ballard's story.

“...The first time he guards Tim Duncan, Swift pushes up on him on the block, trying to impress him.

‘Nah, nah, don’t do that,’ Duncan says.

Swift is surprised. Duncan never talks to opponents. And yet...

‘The ball’s going to swing to the other side, get position,’ Duncan continues.

The ball swings. Swift follows orders, shuffling his feet across the lane, staying behind Duncan.

‘No, further up,’ Duncan says. Swift takes a half-step.

‘No, a little higher, don’t let me duck in on you.’

Swift complies.

‘All right, now come back,’ Duncan says, moving across the lane. ‘The ball’s about to be swung back, but it’s not coming to me this time so don’t worry about it. But now you know how to play it.’

With that, Duncan plays hard the rest of the game, but the moment sticks with Swift. He hopes to be that kind of veteran some day.”

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/21/tim-duncan-spurs-coaching-robert-swift-sonics

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/21/robert-swift-nba-drug-addiction-thunder-sonics

FlashBolt
09-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Another cool story about TD

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/21/tim-duncan-spurs-coaching-robert-swift-sonics

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/21/robert-swift-nba-drug-addiction-thunder-sonics

That's crazy. I think I referenced another article in which he did that. Just showed how much humility he had. Wonder if he did that in the playoffs, though.

FlashBolt
09-22-2016, 12:20 PM
https://twitter.com/quixem/status/756954356352622592/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Nvm, I sent this to you. I would never shop at Old Navy but man, he has all the money in the world and can care less.

kdspurman
09-22-2016, 12:53 PM
That's crazy. I think I referenced another article in which he did that. Just showed how much humility he had. Wonder if he did that in the playoffs, though.

Yea Etan Thomas had a similar experience. I'd be curious about whether he did it then too. Wouldn't surprise me if he did

KnicksorBust
09-22-2016, 05:00 PM
He was a good player at his peak but role player now. Does anyone really care? Does this need its own thread?

FlashBolt
09-23-2016, 12:44 AM
He was a good player at his peak but role player now. Does anyone really care? Does this need its own thread?

Did you mean to post this on the KG thread? :cool: